• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Cyberpunk is still buggy as hell and woefully underdeveloped on PC, what are they thinking. That's not even getting into the transphobia and developer crunch which alone should disqualify them.

Ghost of Tsushima is my personal GOTY. Such an amazing game.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Lol @ people Lol'ing @ Cyberpunk.

It's definitely in my top 5. I'm enjoying it way more than the majority of games I've played this year, even taking into account that it's more buggy than most of the other ones.

It's all personal opinions obviously so really they can nominate what they want with little need to justify it. Just like you. I do think when publications choose to nominate a game like Cyberpunk considering what has happened, it does say something about the hobby. In the same way that Green Book winning Best Picture says something about Hollywood.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
Ori getting snubbed again. And CP77 being there is odd after half the player base are playing a broken game.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Miles Morales and AC Valhalla have no place on this list. 13 Sentinels and Demon's Souls should be there far more than those 2.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
It's all personal opinions obviously so really they can nominate what they want with little need to justify it. Just like you. I do think when publications choose to nominate a game like Cyberpunk considering what has happened, it does say something about the hobby. In the same way that Green Book winning Best Picture says something about Hollywood.
What's wrong with Green Book?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
What about the original game is better than the remake? Especially if we're just comparing the Midgar section of the original
Well to start with the original game was the whole story not just the midgar part.

The original had a much more enjoyable combat system to me. Maybe the story and characters just worked better to me as more abstracted/manga-type designs too, because in FF7R it feels almost like the same anime tropes are just plastered onto more realistic-looking characters.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with Green Book?
www.vox.com

Green Book builds a feel-good comedy atop an artifact of shameful segregation. Yikes.

The movie is named after guides published for black travelers in segregated America. But its spin is all Hollywood.
time.com

What to Know About the Controversy Surrounding Green Book

Though it's an Oscar favorite, the movie's path has been riddled with missteps and controversies
www.vanityfair.com

The Truth About Green Book

The feel-good, awards-friendly dramedy is built on a shaky “true story” foundation that both clarifies and exacerbates its problems.

any list that has 2077 for goty is a joke.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. The way cdpr has avoided a way bigger shitstorm is incredible. I wonder how would things be if cyberpunk was a ubisoft, bethesda or EA game...

Based on past precedent, if it was a Bethesda game it would probably win a shitton of goty awards. Even fallout 4 that wasn't that good still won quite a few, more than bloodborne.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As much as i love Cyberpunk, it does not belong on Goty lists. Doom Eternal or Ori 2 should be in there. Dunno about the 13 Sentinels since its trapped on a console and havent played it.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
So disappointed that Ori 2 isn't getting nominations. It was so good and did everything incredibly well.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What is the consensus on what is being robbed? XD

Eh...Cyberpunk should not be on there, even the PC version.

Jun 13, 2020
I was sure that gaming sites were going to feel obligated to nominate Cyberpunk, no matter what. It's gonna be a TGA nominee, and Gamers(tm) might even end up back in love with CDPR by the end of 2021 because "they fixed the game, what amazing support".

Jun 13, 2020
Aside from the ridiculous inclusion of Cyberpunk, this is straight up just a list of the most popular games of the year. Might as well copy and paste the NPDs.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty standard, uninteresting list of hyped up AAA games which is a shame, but what can ya do.

I definitely think Will of the Wisps deserves to be on there (though not necessarily as the winner). Even though I know it's a sensational game that I had a great time with, for some reason it didn't leave a lasting impression on me like Blind Forest did, and I'm not very good at putting into words why that is 🤷‍♂️

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people still don't realize GOTY lists generally only get interesting way down the list, there's no point arguing over the top spots because everyone into games enough to hang out here has/should have played those games already and they're already universally known as good. Treat it as a way to discover a game you missed instead of using it to validate your opinions.

Aside from the ridiculous inclusion of Cyberpunk, this is straight up just a list of the most popular games of the year. Might as well copy and paste the NPDs.

IGN tries to be the broadest mainstream tentpole type site, so yeah that's not terribly surprising.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
i would replace animal crossing, spiderman, flight simulator with doom eternal, demons souls and 13 sentinels or crusader kings 3

Oct 27, 2017

Oof too real

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to think of a bigger snub than Ori is getting this year and I can't. (also Fighting Herds deserved a mention instead of One Punch Man for fighting games...). Game industry as a whole is such a joke in every sense.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there a push for a 1:1 remake to get nominated? Like no one is saying this about Xenoblade DE (which actually added new content, and is also viewed as an amazing game)

The game came out in 2009 y'all, just because it got a graphical overhaul does not mean it should be in the running with other games that have completely new level design, gameplay, stories, music, etc.
It's a 1:1 remake, yes, but it's an incredible game and deserves all the praise it's getting.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
MS Flight Sim keeps making top tens, so jealous of folks with badass rigs who can play it.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
My rankings are probably:
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Cyberpunk 2077 (PC version only)
Hades
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Ghost of Tsushima
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Half-Life Alyx
The Last of Us Part 2
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Nioh 2 is my actual GOTY though.

No CK3 on here feels like the biggest snub, given the 10 they gave it.