• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'm loving my time with Cyberpunk, but the game is unfinished. Remove the bugs and performance issues and you still have entire systems missing for AI/Rendering and so on.

So I would not put it on this list.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk is pretty great but pretty damn buggy 🤷‍♂️

List is missing a few games though

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get past the first mission of CP2077 because the game crashes during it so, no, not even the PC version should be nominated.
P5R was robbed
Give it to TLOU2 I guess

Oct 26, 2017
TLOU2 is my pick, I absolutely adored that game. Playing through GoT now and just finished Act I. I have about 20 hours in it already. Just riding around and enjoying the location and side missions. Definitely a deserving game. Also, I really need to get around to playing Hades

Oh and if a game needs to be labeled as PC Only because the port versions as bugged to all hell, maybe it's not quite deserving?

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
"PC Version Only"
meme.jpg

BrazilERA will get this

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Solid list.

I have only played Cyberpunk for a few hours on PC, but I find the main missions stand up well against most AAA games, and the city itself looks very impressive. The simulation is weak though. I would have it up there, but it certainly doesn't deserve to win, both for the state of the game, and the transphobic issues surrounding the CD Project.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Cyberpunk wouldn't be anywhere near GOTY, even if it was a functional piece of software
Neither would Valhalla. What an odd inclusion. Such a boring and buggy game. I know some people on here like it, but no one I've personally spoken to likes it. One friend who bought it on release only played it for about an hour and never touched it again because of how buggy it was (PC version, I personally only played the PS4 version).

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Its probably being held back by many lists for being an enhanced version of P5 and probably already had several accolades in its time. That said though If Cyberpunk in its current state can get a listing then several really mentioned games here like P5R more than deserve to be in the list.

Oh yeah. That makes some sense. They don't completely ignore it (so it's on best RPGs list) but when it comes to GOTY list maybe it's held back because it's enchanted version of P5.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Except that the PC version of Cyberpunk is buggier than even Skyrim PS3 was. Doesn't matter that it runs and looks better than the last gen console versions do.
Is it? Didn't the PS3 release of Skyrim gradually just make your save unplayable? PC Cyberpunk is definitely jank as fuck compared to Witcher 3 at launch, but the only bit of bugginess actually causing me any problems is that it's difficult to set unconscious bodies down without them literally exploding. Annoying but by no means game breaking.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? Didn't the PS3 release of Skyrim gradually just make your save unplayable? PC Cyberpunk is definitely jank as fuck compared to Witcher 3 at launch, but the only bit of bugginess actually causing me any problems is that it's difficult to set unconscious bodies down without them literally exploding. Annoying but by no means game breaking.
Consider yourself lucky then, or lucky that you just haven't noticed the other bugs. I'm experiencing bugs constantly, and I'm not alone.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why people keep bringing reviews scores into this. A single person reviewed the game, a bunch of people chose the GOTY nominees. See the difference?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I would be happy with hades, alyx or FF7 remake winning. I also really am liking cyberpunk, but it is too soon to tell if it reaches the high of those 3 games for me. The rest of the games on the list i was a bit meh on.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ people Lol'ing @ Cyberpunk.

It's definitely in my top 5. I'm enjoying it way more than the majority of games I've played this year, even taking into account that it's more buggy than most of the other ones.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
If you have to put an asterisk on a game it shouldn't be on that list. Especially since it won't win. Just wasting a pick for the sake of attracting clicks.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
IGN continuing to hedge for all the Cyberpunk stans. Gotta make sure you're ready to follow the wind wherever it blows.
Are they though cause they just reviewed the base versions of the game gave it a 4 and were not trying to make excuses in the video review. I have seen other Youtuber/influencers/Sites though completely avoiding the discussion on those versions of the game.

May 5, 2018
Happy for Hades and ACNH again. But it's a bummer Ori isn't getting GOTY recognition. I started that game and it's fantastic so far.

Will say, maybe the best nomination within a category is Them's Fightin' Herds getting nominated for best fighting game! Let's Go! That is such a wonderful fighting game and I'm glad IGN is giving it the recognition it deserves.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The more I look at this list, the more it screams "make this list as wide-covering and safe as possible".

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
So a fundamentally broken game is nominated but Demon's Souls isn't? Aight...