• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Child actors about to get paid.

1040560.jpg

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I think VI could work as a series. It's an ensemble cast and the game already has an episodic structure.
It's clear from the article that they wanted to make a show based on a Final Fantasy setting but not on any existing storyline.

VI would still have been a great canvas to create a new story even without retelling the story of the cast originally used in that setting.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
if they use child actors, i would presume they would be for Alphinaud and Alisaie. Otherwise they do some camera angle shenanigans

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
As a long time FF 14 player, I would rather see a TV show based on Tactics and the world of Ivalice.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That title isnt even accurate to the article. This should be about ff getting a netflix adaption to begin with! Also being an mmo it allows for very much leeway with source material

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That title isnt even accurate to the article. This should be about ff getting a netflix adaption to begin with! Also being an mmo it allows for very much leeway with source material

?

That's the original IGN article title.

In the article they said that they had considered FF7 but then ultimately went with FFXIV.

Also Netflix hasn't picked up the series yet. It might be another streaming service.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
With all due respect to FF14, I fail to see what it has to warrant a TV show when there is FF Tactics.

But then again Square has been pretending Tactics doesn't exist for a while now so FF14 IS the closest we have to a game similar in tone and maturity. That's still a great choice

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
With all due respect to FF14, I fail to see what it has to warrant a TV show when there is FF Tactics.

But then again Square has been pretending Tactics doesn't exist for a while now so FF14 IS the closest we have to a game similar in tone and maturity

A lot of Ivalice stuff has already been implemented into FF14.

Also FF14 is currently their biggest game in the series that just had it's most well received expansion released and still an upswing in subbers.

Im talking about the article. Not your thread title

Well yeah but the article title is still (mostly) accurate to the contents. They explain why they went with FFXIV over FF7 and also Netflix is eyeing but not picked up yet.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it'll still star the warrior of light who won't speak but will nod alot.

I'm super curious how they're going to handle budget on this, lalafell, chocobos, monsters can't be cheap.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
FFXIV with Netflix budget just got me nauseous. The only way this will be worth a watch is if it's a supplementary story of the game.

Like taking place during Allagan empire (thousand years ago) or the time before the Flood in The First (100+ years prior).

Tegami

Oct 25, 2017
How do you tell a story in the XIV universe and write around the Warrior of Light? It'd be super cool if they focused on
one of the other worlds that maybe even faced an Umbral Calamity.
But if you set it in the same world as the Eorzea, how do you escalate a conflict to epic TV show levels without it catching the attention of the Scions and the WoL?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt they will focus on the WoL. They have already mentioned Cid , and I'm guessing we might see some of the Scions and City State leaders.But considering Eorzea is home to a lot of other adventurers, I'm pretty they can create new stories in the world that can be entertaining.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
How do you tell a story in the XIV universe and write around the Warrior of Light? It'd be super cool if they focused on
one of the other worlds that maybe even faced an Umbral Calamity.
But if you set it in the same world as the Eorzea, how do you escalate a conflict to epic TV show levels without it catching the attention of the Scions and the WoL?

I guess you could justify it by saying the Scions and the WoL are too busy. They've never given a timeline but aren't all the patches supposed to be like... really close in proximity to each other?

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Honestly this should be some anthology type series tackling a new entry in each new season akin to American Horror Story. XIV is not the best FF has to offer as a series and its foolish to assume such a thing will be renewed for more than one season.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this should be some anthology type series tackling a new entry in each new season akin to American Horror Story. XIV is not the best FF has to offer as a series and its foolish to assume such a thing will be renewed for more than one season.

As a series FFXIV has a lot more to offer for a seasonal TV show. It's easily FF's most developed setting next to Ivalice and FFXIV even has it's own version of Ivalice!

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
As a series FFXIV has a lot more to offer for a seasonal TV show. It's easily FF's most developed setting next to Ivalice and FFXIV even has it's own version of Ivalice!
I mean sure if you wanted a never ending TV show, but that's assuming you're adapting the universe and not the game itself. XIV really only has 5 major arcs if you count 1.0. So I'm assuming they have to adapt the game and not the universe otherwise why make the show runners pick a specific title?
You missed all that talk around Shadowbringers' launch then?

It can be argued XIV is the best of the 5 modern FF titles pretty easily. But when you start adding in IV, VI, VII, IX, etc...the argument falls apart a bit.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure if you wanted a never ending TV show, but that's assuming you're adapting the universe and not the game itself. XIV really only has 5 major arcs if you count 1.0. So I'm assuming they have to adapt the game and not the universe otherwise why make the show runners pick a specific title?

It can be argued XIV is the best of the 5 modern FF titles pretty easily. But when you start adding in IV, VI, VII, IX, etc...the argument falls apart a bit.

The show can still end on it's own terms so long as it's satisfying. Doesn't need to end the same time the game does.

As for your second part...

Not really. I'd argue FFXIV is better than some of those. Emet-Selch is easily the best villain in a long time. Even better than Kefka.

But that doesn't even really matter since there's no objective truth that any of those are better than FFXIV other than nostalgia.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

XIV has a lot of stories and worldbuilding material to select and cherry pick from, way more than any other game in the series with the exception of the Ivalice games (which in a way, XIV also have)

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

I'd definitely argue FFXIV over all those. Especially as a world I'd like to see be explored more.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i wonder if this will go FF: lost stranger manga's direction, but with more ff14 stuff rather than classics

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

They've already said the show isn't an adaption of the story in the game. There's a good deal of more established history and backstory in XIV or Ivalice that isn't tied to the games' specific narrative that can be drawn upon.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
The show can still end on it's own terms so long as it's satisfying. Doesn't need to end the same time the game does.

As for your second part...

Not really. I'd argue FFXIV is better than some of those. Emet-Selch is easily the best villain in a long time. Even better than Kefka.

But that doesn't even really matter since there's no objective truth that any of those are better than FFXIV other than nostalgia.
Haven't played ShadowBringers so I can't comment on Emet. I will say it's hard to find a better villain than Kefka. But this assumes one understands the difference between villain and antagonist. Ardyn is a better antagonist than Kefka.

The biggest argument against XIV is the amount of time it takes to experience it and how much of your time it actively wastes by virtue of the style of game.

XIV has a lot of stories and worldbuilding material to select and cherry pick from, way more than any other game in the series with the exception of the Ivalice games (which in a way, XIV also have)
Fair point, but this assumes they do the smart thing and avoid the main protagonists.
I'd definitely argue FFXIV over all those. Especially as a world I'd like to see be explored more.
XII makes a good case if you're going for the GoT type.
It absolutely does not.
Depends on what you want out of FF. I didn't say it wasn't in the discussion I just said it becomes more difficult.
They've already said the show isn't an adaption of the story in the game. There's a good deal of more established history and backstory in XIV or Ivalice that isn't tied to the games' specific narrative that can be drawn upon.
Fair enough.