• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
Makes more sense when you see that FFVII topped IGN's "Most Overrated" list

Yeah, anyone who knows IGN's history with the Final Fantasy franchise should be more surprised that VII made it onto this list at all: It only made it into the 50s on their Top 100 RPGs list and couldn't even make it into their Top 5 Final Fantasy games. The overall impression I get is that most staff at IGN consider it an overrated mess. I'm somewhat surprised that any one of IV, IX, XII or Tactics didn't make the list at all as they've all usually been favoured over VII.

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Yeah, anyone who knows IGN's history with the Final Fantasy franchise should be more surprised that VII made it onto this list at all: It only made it into the 50s on their Top 100 RPGs list and couldn't even make it into their Top 5 Final Fantasy games. The overall impression I get is that most staff at IGN consider it an overrated mess. I'm somewhat surprised that any one of IV, IX, XII or Tactics didn't make the list at all as they've all usually been favoured over VII.

Tactics was on the previous list

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait, hold up! They took the Mario Galaxy series out because they felt like there was to much Mario!! The heck kind of decision making is that!? There is no way in this world a Galaxy game should not make a top 100 list.
Also, personally, Metroid Prime should be in the top 5.

Is this for real?!?

I am baffled if so.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
It's all subjective so I won't shit on their list but I will say it's mostly so far removed from my personal taste that I have multiple games that would make my top 10 that didn't even make their 100.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
No one should be upset that people love or hate this list. It's all opinions. Nothing official.
BTW, has there ever been an Era top 100 games of all time? Maybe we should do that.

SackBoy

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The list is questionable but I'm happy portal 2 is getting more love.
And hl2 is still phenomenal.

Jun 23, 2019
Because it's funny that some very vocal people are bothered that a game they don't really like is being ranked so highly. You don't see me bothered by games I think are hot trash or not all that great populating the list as folk just like what they like and there's nothing wrong that, whether those games are ranked #1 or whatever

So are games like Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, and God of War and folk have no problem calling them classics at this point

It is a classic. I don't recall ever disputing that
All I did was post that I found its spot on the list humorous. You were the one going on about "grown men crying" or whatever you were talking about. Seems you might have a little more invested in this than you let on champ. ;)

Rigalo

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Ok but in all seriousness. Rise of the Tomb Raider is hardly the 55th best game on any of the systems it's released on, let alone of any game of all time.

Oct 26, 2017
All I did was post that I found its spot on the list humorous. You were the one going on about "grown men crying" or whatever you were talking about. Seems you might have a little more invested in this than you let on champ. ;)
Considering that you've complained about the game being beloved several times, it seems that you're the one who's invested here. I'm not the one upset because games I don't really like are ranked highly. That and that post was a response to someone else about how folk here really can't seem to understand that these rankings are all that subjective so I'm not sure why you went for that and not the actual response I had for you but I can hazard a guess

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
As expected I don't agree with any of those being in the top 10, though SMW and LttP would definitely make a top 20. Super Metroid and Breath of the Wild are good too but I would have them in probably top 30.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard for me to take serious when many classics are missing and also no TimeSplitters 2, which is probably still my favorite game of all time.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
I have such an strong objection to mixing single player and multi player games on ranked lists. I think any list that does it immediately lessens itself in terms of credibility.

They are entirely different experiences, one of which that is heavily influenced by the community and friends that engages in it alongside you. That social experience is such a hard-to-quantify variable, and even harder as a point of comparison. It's also disingenuous to pretend that it doesn't play a role in an objective critique of a multiplayer game.

For example: someone who spent years playing World of Warcraft, Fortnite, or Counter-Strike - potentially making life long friends while doing so, and trying to fairly cross compare that sort wide-range to an intimate and controlled single player experience.

Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Portal 2 is far far too high to me, but that series never grabbed me in any way.

Random, but is the photo they used for Civ IV a screenshot from Civ Revolution for 360? It looks cartoony so it reminded me of that one.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
The way the guy on the far right talks about OOT... fuck that guy, fuck everything about him, I don't need to hear anything else he says to know he has garbage opinions.

Jun 23, 2019
Considering that you've complained about the game being beloved several times, it seems that you're the one who's invested here. I'm not the one upset because games I don't really like are ranked highly. That and that post was a response to someone else about how folk here really can't seem to understand that these rankings are all that subjective so I'm not sure why you went for that and not the actual response I had for you but I can hazard a guess
Yeah, it should've been higher. Would've gotten even more folk upset in this thread ;)

lol Why is it always people trying to gaslight others when we have ways to search post histories? I'm putting you on ignore and stopping this off topic discussion.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Makes more sense when you see that FFVII topped IGN's "Most Overrated" list

The Sims, which is #6 on the Most Overrated list, is #64 in the top 100.

So uh...I'd say it makes less sense.

Seriously though, the Most Overrated list was written by one person, while the Top 100 is probably a site-wide consensus.

BTW, has there ever been an Era top 100 games of all time? Maybe we should do that.
No thanks. It'd end up looking just like IGN's list, except it'd also have MGS4 in it.
barf.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The real Top 10

10. Puyo Puyo Tetris
9. Tetris Effect
8. Resident Evil 4 HD
7. Tropical Freeze
6. NES Tetris
5. Tetris DS
4. Resident Evil 4 GameCube
3. Tetris 99
2. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
1. Game Boy Tetris

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
I really don't agree Zelda ALTTP deserves a number 2 spot. I played it a few weeks ago with a bit of nostalgia (my brother and I weren't able to finish it decades ago) and it is one of my least favorite 2D Zeldas. ALBW and Minish Cap both are miles ahead and Oracle of Seasons was also much more fun. It surely was revolutionary at its release, but by today's standards it is nothing special.
I agree with Portal 2 and BOTW, though. Two of my all time favorites.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I think Ign really likes their Nintendo exclusives.

0ff4BuG.gif
You could almost get the impression that Nintendo makes some great games and has been doing so for some time now.

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I really don't agree Zelda ALTTP deserves a number 2 spot. I played it a few weeks ago with a bit of nostalgia (my brother and I weren't able to finish it decades ago) and it is one of my least favorite 2D Zeldas. ALBW and Minish Cap both are miles ahead and Oracle of Seasons was also much more fun. It surely was revolutionary at its release, but by today's standards it is nothing special.
I agree with Portal 2 and BOTW, though. Two of my all time favorites.

I played ALTTP for the first time this year and I had my mind blown.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
At some point we need to accept that Tetris is literally just OK and nothing more, no version of it would belong even in a top 500 best games of all time.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Around 30 of these games are already playable on Switch. Could get close to 50% in the coming years.

PS4 had a great gen overall. Lots of new entries are on the system.

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
The real Top 10

10. Puyo Puyo Tetris
9. Tetris Effect
8. Resident Evil 4 HD
7. Tropical Freeze
6. NES Tetris
5. Tetris DS
3. Tetris 99
1. Game Boy Tetris
Lol.

Botw is 1 IGN. That's a fact.
And yellow is in there while i cant see a Mystery dungeon Explorers of time / darkness yeah makes sense. But before i get banned again on era because of whatever reason that's all i gotta say..

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
10- Super Mario 64
9- Red Dead Redemption
8- Half Life 2
7- Tetris
6- Super Mario Bros 3
5- Zelda Breath of the Wild
4- Super Metroid
3- Portal 2
2- Zelda A Link to the Past
1- Super Mario World

Not my top ten, but at least five of them make my list.

The real Top 10

10. Puyo Puyo Tetris
9. Tetris Effect
8. Resident Evil 4 HD
7. Tropical Freeze
6. NES Tetris
5. Tetris DS
3. Tetris 99
1. Game Boy Tetris

Haha.

No thanks. It'd end up looking just like IGN's list, except it'd also have MGS4 in it.
barf.

The top ten would look a bit different though.

Pokemon whatever
Mass Effect 2
MGS4
God of War
The Witcher 3
RDR2
SMB 64
Bloodborne
Dark Souls
BOTW

Maybe RE4 might eek out a place in the top ten, but who knows?

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
It's all subjective so I won't shit on their list but I will say it's mostly so far removed from my personal taste that I have multiple games that would make my top 10 that didn't even make their 100.

I think this is pretty common when you're primary gaming diet isn't dominated by NPD Top 10 material.

I feel the same way in that my favorite genres are strategy, management sims, colony builders, and hyper niche indies. All of which were primarily ignored.

Noticed a few titles of interest in that list, but by and large it's so far removed from my personal tastes that we're orbiting completely different planets.

It's all good. If anything, it speaks to the diversity found in the medium.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
At some point we need to accept that Tetris is literally just OK and nothing more, no version of it would belong even in a top 500 best games of all time.
Who is "we"?

Tetris is older than almost everyone in this forum and it still has an extremely active fan-base. It deserves any and all accolades that get thrown its way.