• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
It has no Star Control 2 or any Sierra Adventure game, therefore the list is automatically moot.

Other than that, quite a lot of Nintendo at the top.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not upset at this list or anything, and 100 is a big number to overanalyse anything, but I'm genuinely surprised that there's an outlet that rates SMW that highly. It's not even in my top 5 of 2D Mario.
But ok at least the top 10 is 50% Nintendo, so not a bad effort.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
What is strange about the battle between World and 3? It has been that conversation for so long. I greatly prefer SMW over 3, its why the vast majority of MM levels I've made are in that theme.

The vast majority of SMM1 levels were in SMB1 or NSMBU style. NSMBU was the most popular style in the original game. In SMM2 there hasn't been an analysis done yet to see what the most popular style is.

Dunno where you're getting your proof from but in a game with 5 million levels uploaded anecdotal evidence doesnt count.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely stunned at the lack of a single Sega game here. There are several worthy of this list. This list is missing a massive chunk of video game history and greatness.

Most of these lists tend to be written by massive SNES fans and it shows but damn this is the most biased one I've ever read. Also SMW is nowhere near the best Mario game, let alone best of all time.

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Genuinely stunned at the lack of a single Sega game here. There are several worthy of this list. This list is missing a massive chunk of video game history and greatness.

Most of these lists tend to be written by massive SNES fans and it shows but damn this is the most biased one I've ever read. Also SMW is nowhere near the best Mario game, let alone best of all time.

IGN doesn't like Sega, you never knew?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The vast majority of SMM1 levels were in SMB1 or NSMBU style. NSMBU was the most popular style in the original game. In SMM2 there hasn't been an analysis done yet to see what the most popular style is.

Dunno where you're getting your proof from but in a game with 5 million levels uploaded anecdotal evidence doesnt count.

I said "I greatly prefer SMW over 3, its why the vast majority of MM levels I've made..." I don't know how you interpreted that as speaking for some larger set of MM data.

Sceptre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to play A Link to the Past, but I really want a modern remake like Link's Awakening to be my first playthrough

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Every game on this list is really good and many were extremely influential. Don't get people saying it's terrible. There are probably enough games from the last 5 year to make a top 100 games of all time list that would have nothing but pure quality experiences. It's inpossible to make a top 100 that most people would agree with.

Some of those older games have aged really well too like Yoshi's Island.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I mean Persona 5 is a great game and all but HOW can one put Persona 5 on the list and leave out Persona 4 Golden or Persona 3?
Otherwise there are a lot of great games on this list and of course one can always argue about some ranking and stuff. I was wondering myself "Where do you start and what keeps you from leaving some games out?"

Multiple reviewers who don't like rpgs ended up liking P5.

It's a different breed from the previous titles.

Oct 27, 2017
IGN really like makes super safe lists and their top 10 is always rooted in a little nostalgia. That's like a top 10 for people who have only played safe blockbusters

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina in 25 explains how I feel about modern game design and how critical acclaimed game these days don't click that much with me(usually my sweet spot is a 75 ~90 meta). I'm glad indies exist to save the day.

About ALTTP, I always liked it but nothing more than just a good game. I think about replaying it but when I remember about the boring dungeons I always step back.

And about Mario 64, in the video they said that they were talking about favorite game and not influential games. I'd change it's position with Mario Galaxy 2 anytime of the day.

EDIT: Saw top 100 right now and no Mario Galaxy at all. Ok IGN, I'm done.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I have no problem with ranking World over 3 (even tho, personally, I wouldn't). But this isn't a ranking of Best Mario Games--it's a ranking of Best Games. So when I'm looking at SMW in this context, it doesn't really matter so much if it's the most popular style in Mario Maker (I will agree w/ the consensus on that, tho: World is probably my favorite style, too). What did World do to further the gaming landscape? How much did it *really* improve upon the advancements that SM3 had achieved prior?

I dunno, even just looking at the SNES's library, I'd probably give the nod to Super Metroid (especially so considering how inundated the current gaming landscape has become w/ Metroid-likes). It's not that I don't find SMW enjoyable (I think it's actually pretty great, in fact!), but rather just an odd choice for Best Game.
Well for starters smw actually...

*Gasp*

Gave the player the ability to look ahead in multiple directions in a platformer.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Lists from mainstream outlets always are.
Maybe that's one of the reasons why I'm always down on lists. They just take all of the highest rated games and shuffle them around.

Feels like biting into a sandwich made out of white bread, mayonnaise, and ice.
Yeah, true. The highlighted part is why I don't really pay them much attention as they're too predictable.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I just don't know how can you put such a recent game like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (number 5 even) so high in a list that is about the best videogames in the history.. I don't see how that game is better or more revolutionary than something like Tetris or Super Mario 64.. but I have the same to say about all the more modern games that are so high in the list - Portal 2 at 3? What? I still don't understand how Portal 2 become this juggernaut of a videogame (man, 95/100 on Metacritics? Well, I can honestly say that I'm shock right now).. I mean both Portal games are great, but I have never seen or heard someone said that "yeah, Portal 1/2 are the best games I have ever played", but that's probably only my experience so whatever.. RDR or GTAV are too high too in my opinion but I never really understood the massive appeal of any Rockstar game, so again, this is probably only my opinion .. just a really strange list in overall
I was completely jaded on video games as a 31 year old when I bought BOTW. It was more "going through the motions" and a last hurrah as I planned to put my Wii U and gaming itself to rest after beating the game. I'm going to sound cliche or corny as hell, but I'm also being honest too. That said, BOTW single-handedly rejuvenated my love for gaming. My experience with that game single-handedly brought the gaming joy back into my heart that I once had as a kid. For me, it's my #1 and it deserves every accolade it's given.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I guess im the only one with " weird" taste in games. I don't like any japanese or anime games too..
I think its stupid to have definite 100 top games beacuse the list is subjective to each person. For me its:

1. Battlefield 2
2. Last of Us
3. GTA San Andreas
4.Red Dead Redemption
5. GTA 4
6.Civilization 3

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, gaming history is so massive itself that there should be a pre-2000s and a post-2000s Top 100 list. There's simply way too many games on this list simply because of their legacy. Breath of the Wild is a better game in literally every category than A Link To The Past but ALttP gets a passed because of its place in gaming history.

Oct 26, 2017
These Top [insert number] Games threads are always a lot of fun. A lot of folk upset that a game ranked too low or too high or that its overrated or whatever. I mean, if kids were saying this stuff, I wouldn't think much of it but adults getting weirdly butthurt is rather amusing

That's a ghost pepper take.
It's certainly a very uncommon opinion. I'd rank it above the likes of SMB 1 and SMB 2 at least and even SMB 3 but that's debatable amongst fans

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
No Duke 3D, no Quake, not a single Remedy game, no Mortal kombat game, no Legacy of Kain, I could go on lol but you know opinions and such