• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
No Mario Galaxy, no Windwaker, no Dragon Quest games, no The Sims games, and some entire genres completely missing. Not a fan of this list. How do you have zero sports, racing sims, or space combat sims? Not a single schmup?
Oh there aren't any shmups on it?

Sheesh. At the very least I expected a token spot for Ikaruga. What a disappointing show by IGN.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Their Top 2 games wouldn't crack my Top 100, so I'm not surprised in the least that my Top 2(Morrowind, Chrono Cross) didn't crack theirs. Opinions!

Though I will say the idea that Nintendo and Valve are responsible for 8/10 of the greatest games ever made is hilarious.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
X-Com UFO DEFENSE made the list? Ok, IGN, you've got my attention. Also impressed that Divinity: Original Sin 2 squeaked by. Those games, for as lauded as they are, often get overlooked in these sorts of lists.

Now of all the games listed, the only one that I feel strongly against is Rise of the Tomb Raider. It is an aggressively mainstream game with no remarkable moments or gameplay ideas, neither excelling nor impressing in any way. It can be fun but there are a thousand better games out there.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that's exactly the kind of list I'd expect for IGN. A lot of safe choices.

Except for Rise of the Tomb Raider, which seems like a bizarre pick, and I like the game well enough.
Rise of the tomb raider 55? RDR2 62?
One can argue about these lists forever,it's all subjective at the end of the day.....but is Rise of the Tomb Raider really the 55th best game ever made.....full disclosure,I've not played it yet.
Also,Miyazaki should be represented in the top 10 but like I said it's all subjective,just my thoughts.
I recently beat Rise of Tomb Raider for the first time,cleaning my backlog,and it is one of the games who made I roll my eyes,seriously,it is a bland and boring game,I was happy to finally see the credits,and I really liked Tomb Raider 2013,what made even worst in this list is all games it is above.
Red Dead Redemption in top 10 I agree,it is not in my top 10 all time,but it is pretty close,and Red Dead Redemption 2 62th reflects how I feel about the game too,it is probably between 55~65 if I made a list,but Rise of Tomb Raider above it is a fucking joke.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Cu38DnG.jpg
Cool, thank! My GOAT.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy, they never watched Metropolis?
36 / not on the director's list at all.

For the most part, I actually think the Sight and Sound lists are pretty good, outside of obviously being biased towards ~1920s-40s stuff at the top end. The film I have the most issues with in the top 10 is 2001 :P

If you look at individual filmmaker lists, you can find some really interesting ones. The younger folks included, like David Michod for instance, have really neat stuff on there:

7XhHjlq.jpg

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously everyone (including myself) is always going to disagree with lists like these, but all things considered that's not a bad top 10.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know everyone and their mom has grievances with these sorts of lists... but srsly, wth @ SMW being #1 (and I say this as a huge Mario fan). Whether the criteria is revolutionary or evolutionary, World lays claim to neither as a platformer (and honestly, I'll take it a step further and say it doesn't carry either mantle even as far as 2D Mario is concerned).

sorry, personal rant against another entity's opinion over :p Just a really strange choice for numero uno...

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo killing it like it should be. List looks fine, some of y'all get so bent out of shape over a list not created by you and in turn will never match whatever is in your head.

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I know everyone and their mom has grievances with these sorts of lists... but srsly, wth @ SMW being #1 (and I say this as a huge Mario fan). Whether the criteria is revolutionary or evolutionary, World lays claim to neither as a platformer (and honestly, I'll take it a step further and say it doesn't carry either mantle even as far as 2D Mario is concerned).

sorry, personal rant against another entity's opinion over :p Just a really strange choice for numero uno...

It's really not a strange choice. SMB3 was there first, and the current team just prefers World

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised at how high Portal 2 is. That game is genuinely one of the most perfect media experiences of all time.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017

I agree.

I've been playing SMW off and on since '91 and I'm still kinda lost as to why it dominates "best game ever" lists.
The mechanics are fascinating, but it's still very much a launch title. It's filled with ideas that aren't built upon or go anywhere.

Music review sites often put limits on how many times an artist shows up in top albums/songs lists so I don't understand people's issue here.
Is that supposed to make the list more credible or something?

Frankly, I couldn't care less.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Alot of great games in the list but i definitely don't agree with the order, i think the new God of War and Breath of the Wild are too high on the list considering their major flaws such as lack of boss battles in GoW and the weak dungeons in BotW.

Also too many Nintendo games on top that has already been surpassed by many other games.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

What is strange about the battle between World and 3? It has been that conversation for so long. I greatly prefer SMW over 3, its why the vast majority of MM levels I've made are in that theme.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Portal 2 is a good game but I feel like it's overrated

Portal 2 I totally get. That game is unique in the space in so many ways and is such a showcase of game design. I only grow fonder of it as time passes.

Sadly for me I will never get BotW and as a huge Zelda fan watching it's status in particular endlessly elevate kind of irks me. I still believe Ocarina deserves that spot.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the list was alright. Stop seeing this as a Ranking system, but as 100 essential games without specific order.

And Pokemon:Go deserves to be in the Top-100.
Warcraft 3 should have made the list though but there are just too many games to count.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
No, not at all. I'm just saying it is a common practice.

I think the list fucking sucks personally.
Yeah I guess I could see where the authors of these things are coming from.
However, if I'm going to create something purely subjective, then I'm not going to adhere to some rules.
I would be completely honest with my audience and myself.

On the other hand, I think comparing games to other games is a fruitless endeavor. To me, everything is self-contained and judged entirely on their own merits.

So this whole thing is a wash. Only reason I'm still here is because insomnia is a gigantic asshole.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just for kicks, I counted out I played 64 games that made the list (have another 17 in my collection that I need to play)

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Generally hard to disagree with these lists. Even if personal opinion may differ, typically there's some justification that's fair enough.
Quality, impact, influence, innovation, whatnot.

The shakiest that I can see are Black Flag and Tomb Raider. Great games that notably improved their own series, but I find it extremely difficult to justify including those over for instance something like a Gran Turismo.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
No Phantasy Star Online (or earlier games)
Smash Ultimate instead of Melee (must be a recent change)
BOTW way too high in my opinion
No Kirby games
Pokémon Go (wait what?)
No Mortal Kombat
No Sonic
No Skies of Arcadia

I mean, I get that the list boils down mostly to personal preference.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I think there are simply too many great games to make a good top 100, there are always omissions that become more glaring the bigger the list. Nobody has played every great game for long enough to make such a big list and there are always games that end up being forgotten.

Am I right in saying that GTA IV, the third most critically acclaimed video game of all time and a game that received a 10 from IGN themselves isn't on this list?

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
big result for nintendo when 6/10 games are from them
Speaks volumes tbh. I know everyone is different and this is all subjective, but to me between these types of lists which always have a strong representation of Nintendo games, sales, review scores, etc it just shows how high quality Nintendo games are games that are just on another level.

I understand there are some that don't like Mario, Zelda whatever, and that's perfectly fine, but people who make the comments like Mario and Zelda (and Nintendo) are overrated, not that good etc, is just silly.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What is strange about the battle between World and 3? It has been that conversation for so long. I greatly prefer SMW over 3, its why the vast majority of MM levels I've made are in that theme.
I have no problem with ranking World over 3 (even tho, personally, I wouldn't). But this isn't a ranking of Best Mario Games--it's a ranking of Best Games. So when I'm looking at SMW in this context, it doesn't really matter so much if it's the most popular style in Mario Maker (I will agree w/ the consensus on that, tho: World is probably my favorite style, too). What did World do to further the gaming landscape? How much did it *really* improve upon the advancements that SM3 had achieved prior?

I dunno, even just looking at the SNES's library, I'd probably give the nod to Super Metroid (especially so considering how inundated the current gaming landscape has become w/ Metroid-likes). It's not that I don't find SMW enjoyable (I think it's actually pretty great, in fact!), but rather just an odd choice for Best Game.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Never liked these lists where the metric is "top" that is a mix of unknown quantities between influence, nostalgia, quality in that era and quality in this era. I think they should focus on one of those instead and make separate lists like "the most influential games of all time", "my favorite games of all time" and "the best games of that generation".

It's a solid list of the "top" games of all time though. A bit safe for my taste maybe with just popular games/genres and a bit too much focus on the past.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Trying to rank games from completely different genres & eras is ridiculous, made even more ridiculous by not having a consistent measuring stick like judging them purely on historical value.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with ranking World over 3 (even tho, personally, I wouldn't). But this isn't a ranking of Best Mario Games--it's a ranking of Best Games. So when I'm looking at SMW in this context, it doesn't really matter so much if it's the most popular style in Mario Maker (I will agree w/ the consensus on that, tho: World is probably my favorite style, too). What did World do to further the gaming landscape? How much did it *really* improve upon the advancements that SM3 had achieved prior?

I dunno, even just looking at the SNES's library, I'd probably give the nod to Super Metroid (especially so considering how inundated the current gaming landscape has become w/ Metroid-likes). It's not that I don't find SMW enjoyable (I think it's actually pretty great, in fact!), but rather just an odd choice for Best Game.

The problem is your criteria of "do to further the gaming landscape" (aka innovation) is guaranteed to not be the exact criteria of the people who made this list. If I made a list of top 100 I also don't think I would use that criteria, or at least not with so much weight. Some people care more about execution for example, and a lot of this just falls back to "I think it plays better, or I had more fun" which is just pure subjectivity.

Super Metroid has also been #1 on other lists before. I love that game too, but I could see why a group of people that (for example, not sure if this group actually feels this way) have more platform lovers over metroidvania lovers would pick SMW over it.

I still don't think its odd/weird/strange etc. It's a classic game that many people grew up with, still play to this day and is always brought up in top platformer discussions.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Eventually people are going to start posting their own lists.

Then I'm going to start wondering why I ever liked video games.