• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
He said in the video that his channel was joining with IGN. JOINING, as if IGN needed his channel. And because of that, his channel was going to grow even more and have better videos.

Now I don't know if he didn't understand what he was getting into, or if he's an idiot, but did he actually expect he was going to have time to make videos for his channel and be in charge of the IGN Nintendo branch too? Or that IGN was even going to allow him to "share" the videos with his channel?

Needless to say, that was his last video on the channel.

Part of the responsibility falls on IGN to monitor what their employees are saying/doing and to set the record straight. Expectations should have been communicated clearly.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Why didn't they just promote someone already at IGN then? Was that not an option? Then they would have just filled the junior writer role?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
So, how long had this been going on. Has he been that slick or obvious all along (before the unraveling). Did his teachers and or professors fail him?

At some point everyone learns about plagiarism through education or reprimand. How could someone be that ignorant of their actions unless they were egotistical or enabled?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
So, how long had this been going on. Has he been that slick or obvious all along (before the unraveling). Did his teachers and or professors fail him?

At some point everyone learns about plagiarism through education or reprimand. How could someone be that ignorant of their actions unless they were egotistical or enabled?
Somehow I doubt he went to school for journalism.

Beyond that, not everyone gets caught in school. The super obvious guys do, but beyond that a lot of people just sneak by.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the latest btw:

Otero:

0qeb4Aw.png

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/02/abzu-review

Miucin

6mtxfF5.png

https://web.archive.org/web/20180223103403/http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/16/innerspace-review
Right now Filip is my vote for 2018's Fail of the Year. I can't believe this.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
No not less of IGN - but less of reviews. Who knows how much micro / macro plagiarism has gone unnoticed over the decades? How many opinions, partially or wholly, weren't the reviewers? I've often felt like mainstream reviews were an echo-chamber and perhaps this is why, at least partly.

EDIT: this is also why I think reviews became less trustworthy post-Internet. Back in the 90s, magazines had to write their review based on their own opinion. They couldn't wait and miss deadlines to read what everyone else was saying first. They just had to go out on a limb and call it how they saw it.

I think this has also shined a light on how formulaic a lot of reviews have become that people seem to follow a type of script. Folios review passed as just another review because it was just exactly that. That's why I like AngryJoe reviews they are very original.

Oct 27, 2017
No not less of IGN - but less of reviews. Who knows how much micro / macro plagiarism has gone unnoticed over the decades? How many opinions, partially or wholly, weren't the reviewers? I've often felt like mainstream reviews were an echo-chamber and perhaps this is why, at least partly.

EDIT: this is also why I think reviews became less trustworthy post-Internet. Back in the 90s, magazines had to write their review based on their own opinion. They couldn't wait and miss deadlines to read what everyone else was saying first. They just had to go out on a limb and call it how they saw it.

Not sure if this is a thing which still happens, but it would be quite common for record companies to send out press packs with review copies with 'suggested lines' and the skeleton of a review already written in the press notes.

As a sort of former Journalist of 20 years, who still has a passing interest in the field, this situation isn't really all that surprising - I know of people who work for major major media outlets who when they started had absolutely no training whatsoever, but they grafted and learned the trade the hard way. The levels to which this chap seems to have gone do seem unprecedented, however.

I personally don't think there are any winners out of this, and the talk of 'winning' and 'losing' is just surface skimming the problem, really, situations like this just undermine people's ability to have trust in the copy they have in front of them - it's going to make things harder.

Last edited:

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017

1. Most reviewers operate under embargoes, so they don't even have the opportunity to read what others had to say.
2. Even if that opportunity was available to them, any reviewer worth their salt wouldn't take it.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, that Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion Impressions.

Him:"Another level, the Tubular 8-Ball Station, required me to guide a massive 8-Ball through what can only be described as a giant Rube Goldberg machine, which is essentially a mechanism designed to perform a simple task in an overcomplicated fashion. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine

"A Rube Goldberg machine is a machine intentionally designed to perform a simple task in an indirect and overcomplicated fashion. "

He does change it up a bit. But still...

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Every day I wake up to more news, more drama, and more copy paste style shenanigans

What a world

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And this happened at the worst possible time for Filip and IGN. Summer news drought. There's nothing to talk about until the big games are starting to hit in Fall. Damn.

Wallace 6464

Aug 16, 2018
Sorry if mentioned earlier, but I was watching his review of the hori fight stick, and saw multiple comments from when the video was posted calling him out for copying the entire video from someone else. So there was evidence long before IGN hires him

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following this and the previous 2 threads since the story got revealed and imo IGN has handled the situation well. Everyone who's avoiding them from now on has failed to understand that the whole situation has nothing to do with the rest of them team, but is solely Filips fault. The guys working there have enough to do on their own, than monitoring his work/ checking for plagiarism.

Wallace 6464

Aug 16, 2018
He has vlogs on his YouTube channel showing his family, so if people are just showing his family I don't see that as bullying

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
He has vlogs on his YouTube channel showing his family, so if people are just showing his family I don't see that as bullying
Whether the info is public or not his family have absolutely nothing to do with the plagiarism discussion and are probably the biggest victims in all this.

Posting pictures/info/names about his family is at best petty gossip and at worst gives the worst parts of the internet more targets for their harassment.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Exactly.

I'm fucking amazed people were actually questioning if it was appropriate or not. That page is really sad.

And this was after I got called out for dead simple, benign mentions of the possibility he's mentally ill, sociopathic, or whatever.

But we can wonder if bringing his family into this is okay?

Last edited:

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
His actions speak for themselves but I hope he can learn from this fiasco and start over doing something else with a different mindset.

Wallace 6464

Aug 16, 2018
I have no idea what people did or didn't in regards to his family, was just saying it didn't require cyber stalking or anything, they appear in his videos

benny

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly.

I'm fucking amazed people were actually questioning if it was appropriate or not. That page is really sad.

And this was after I got called out for dead simple, benign mentions of the possibility he's mentally ill, sociopathic, or whatever.

And that person was permanently banned for obviously making a wrong call. But you try to continue playing the victim and make it about you.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Exactly.

So what pisses you off is that you were called out, but others weren't?

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

Probably because you have no reason to do that and using mental illness as a scapegoat for every human failing vilifies mentally ill people.

If we find out he's mentally ill, you can say "I Told You So!" Until then, cool it.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are 95 pages to go through so to cut it short, can someone tell me if there's been any further apologies since Filip dared people to find more examples of plagiarism? It backfired when people took him up on that challenge and I am curious to know if he has said anything or remained silent since then.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
There are 95 pages to go through so to cut it short, can someone tell me if there's been any further apologies since Filip dared people to find more examples of plagiarism? It backfired when people took him up on that challenge and I am curious to know if he has said anything or remained silent since then.
No, he's been quiet.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU

He remained dead silent. Not a word.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no end to who he stole from....
Imagine stealing from the same creative people you work alongside everyday.
At this point i'm simply waiting for the lawsuits from hundreds of different people against him, it's disgusting how he thought he could do this for so many years and to so many people and get away with it.

Oct 27, 2017
It took 2 threads and over 90 pages of the defense force constantly saying that THE LYNCH MOB Era WITCH HUNTING talking about this is actually bullying and harassing his family, somehow, before one loser actually tried to do it, got swiftly banned, and the thread went back on track.

Now we have to put up with these disingenuous posters patting themselves on the back while trying to shut down the discussion with renewed energy.

Aug 15, 2018

He seems like a really nice guy that chose an awful path one too many times... Thought he was a real douchebag before I saw this video he posted on his channel. Now I feel bad for him again. He's got a rough life ahead of him.

JC317

May 29, 2018
Sorry if mentioned earlier, but I was watching his review of the hori fight stick, and saw multiple comments from when the video was posted calling him out for copying the entire video from someone else. So there was evidence long before IGN hires him

I don't think it's been mentioned before.

Had to scroll through the sea of comments that were praising him to find the comments you're referring to, but some comments did mention how Filip might have taken inspiration from another YouTuber called Nihongo Gamer, to which Filip himself claimed that he only saw after he finished filming his own video.

Of course, by now I don't think everyone would believe that. However, someone should go compare the two videos and see if this is yet another case of plagiarism.

Filip's Video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Iih31oSyX-8

Ahri

Lying PR
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Well, thanks for the replies. I'm guessing he will lay low for a while before attempting a come back much like Logan Paul.

Seeing the trainwreck that was his first answer, and the fallout of it: I think he will lay low for quite some time, do some work behind the scenes, and try to come back under another name and not on camera.

The difference with Paul is that one is a multi-millionaire and have tons of gullible kids as fans, the other not so much...

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Had to scroll through the sea of comments that were praising him to find the comments you're referring to, but some comments did mention how Filip might have taken inspiration from another YouTuber called Nihongo Gamer, to which Filip himself claimed that he only saw after he finished filming his own video.

Of course, by now I don't think everyone would believe that. However, someone should go compare the two videos and see if this is yet another case of plagiarism.

Filip's Video:

Damn. 11 months ago YouTube user ZeldaDraven called him out for copying a video and not a single person replied, liked, or anything. Everyone just kept loving Phil because he was giving away Switches .That's so shitty.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I don't understand Filip. He is spending his time editing and producing top notch content in his YouTube Channel. Writing his thoughts and opinions seems to be the easier part.... why is he short cutting that?!

Wallace 6464

Aug 16, 2018
I'm on mobile so I didn't have links, thank you for doing it for me, just so strange to me that he was called out about plagarism the entire time

Filip's Video: