• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019

The Witcher hit Netflix on December 20, 2019 and is already one of the most in-demand streaming shows in the United States. Business Insider reported on these statistics, which put The Witcher third in the streaming category. The series is currently sitting in the backseat behind two well-known mega shows: Netflix's Stranger Things and Disney Plus' The Mandalorian.

Pretty impressive numbers if this is accurate. Could possibly be the biggest first season for a Netflix show ever, since currently it's only behind the latest season of Stranger Things.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not surprised as many gamers are likely interested and the non gaming netflix audience most likely were interested in it since it was hyped up.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Totally deserved. It's probably the best thing Netflix has put out thus far, from where I'm sitting. That last scene and last line of dialogue in the last episode was just *chef's kiss* fucking perfect.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it with my wife. Marathoned the last three episodes in one sitting since our kid went to sleep early. Really enjoyed it overall. With some improvements, season two should be a real treat.

As a player of all three games, it was great to see the world come alive. My wife knew basically nothing about the book and games but still really liked it.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the local bookstores in my area are sold out of the first book the other day when there were stacks of them at one location Saturday. Sure, Christmas, but that's pretty crazy in an environment that's struggling to keep afloat.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Good, between this and Mandalorian, it's been a great holiday season for streaming services.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
All the local bookstores in my area are sold out of the first book the other day when there were stacks of them at one location Saturday. Sure, Christmas, but that's pretty crazy in an environment that's struggling to keep afloat.
Also on digital stores, the games shot back up in sales ranking

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
kerss a toin te ye wetchaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but very confusing until you realise it's not linear and is set in multiple timelines. Some very bad CGI too. It's fun though.

At one point I thought a ton of people had been resurrected off screen and used to set a trap for Geralt lol. Super weird decision to not make the different timelines clear to the audience

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
User Banned (5 Days): Inappropriate Commentary; Prior Bans for Similar Behavior
there are so many scenes from the books I want to see on the show.

tumblr_np7u84bZnK1tjkg4do5_400.gif

OP
OP
Hot Priest

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
I didn't know the Mandalorian was rated so high?

Not surprising at all. People like Star Wars, and Baby Yoda completely took over the internet.

The surprise for me is that people like The Witcher this much. Crazy being a fan since the first game and how back then people saw it as this weird niche thing.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
would be interested in actual viewership numbers. this ranking seems obtuse, for example why would it be behind stranger things when the last season of stranger things was 6 months ago.

"Parrot Analytics measures "demand expressions," its globally standardized TV-demand measurement unit that reflects the desire, engagement, and viewership of a series weighted by importance"

I definitely hope viewership is good! i enjoyed the season.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved!

At one point I thought a ton of people had been resurrected off screen and used to set a trap for Geralt lol. Super weird decision to not make the different timelines clear to the audience

It's actually made clear but it's all in dialogue so if you're not paying attention closely you could miss it. For example in the first episode
Ciri says to Queen Calanthe "you won your first battle when you were my age" and in the very next scene Renfri tell Geralt that Calanthe had just won her first battle which would mean she was still a teenager.
Yes it's easy to miss but there are other examples and it's all there.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Happy to hear this. Given the critical panning and undoubtedly high budget I was fearing it would get Sense8ed, but it seems to have struck a chord. For my taste I actually like it better than the Mandalorian, would not have thought that beforehand.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
It's great. I'm kinda surprised that it up there with The Mandalorian. Season 2 of both these franchises will be amazing. Hopefully s2 of mandalorian will have 1 hour episodes to match the Witcher.

Last edited:

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the Netflix budget and mostly no name actors, the show's... pretty pretty good. It deserves success and I hope we get a couple more reasons so it can hopefully get to the really big stuff that happens later.

It's a pretty surprising show, honestly. Some really incredible scenes.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved!

It's actually made clear but it's all in dialogue so if you're not paying attention closely you could miss it. For example in the first episode
Ciri says to Queen Calanthe "you won your first battle when you were my age" and in the very next scene Renfri tell Geralt that Calanthe had just won her first battle which would mean she was still a teenager.
Yes it's easy to miss but there are other examples and it's all there.

Welp I totally missed that. Does that mean that the Ciri stuff
is in the future and there's time travel shenanigans involved?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Welp I totally missed that. Does that mean that the Ciri stuff
is in the future and there's time travel shenanigans involved?

It's not a big spoiler and it becomes clear by episodes 3 and 4 but I can answer your question if you want to know now

Each of main characters stories is shown chronologically for them but Ciri's is the "present", Geralt's starts a few years earlier and Yennefer's starts even further back...Geralt's and Yennefer's stories occasionally skip a few years forward but never backwards

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a big spoiler and it becomes clear by episodes 3 and 4 but I can answer your question if you want to know now

Each of main characters stories is shown chronologically for them but Ciri's is the "present", Geralt's starts a few years earlier and Yennefer's starts even further back

Ah ok cool that's actually good to know, I had a feeling Yen was what you said.