• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
people buy iPhones through IGN links? Gaming related stuff I can understand but phones are normally either through direct sales or carrier subsidies so I'm surprised that its something that would even be that high of a benchmark for them.
I imagine it's like when they put up an article showing current deals on sites like Amazon people will click the links to see the deal instead of typing in Amazon on the address bar.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense and exciting to see so much interest in the hobby right now! Congrats to you guys lol. Not sure if you can answer, but do you guys get a commission every time someone CLICKS? Or only when they manage to buy/preorder?

It's on a retailer-by-retailer, and site-by-site basis. IGN is owned by Ziff Davis and Ziff owns coupon websites like offers.com, deal websites like techbargains.com, and more traditional Editorial websites like IGN. All three of those categories usually have different agreements and standards.

per-click is considerably less common but it does sometimes happen.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Hey! It's me! To clarify -

1. PS5 Preorder guide is the #1 article on IGN of the year in terms of pageviews. And it didn't eek out #1 - it's closing in on being 2X the #2 article. It was HUGE. It also broke records for the number of concurrent readers in an article. Pageviews aren't a metric that's massively important to us - we pay a lot of attention to engagement, etc.... but still.

2. Like a lot (almost all?) media companies we have an affiliate ecommerce business. When someone clicks on an Amazon or Best Buy or Newegg button and buys a game or piece of hardware we earn a commission on that. We are required by law to make sure that's disclosed, and we always do. And every day we link to retailers we don't have affiliate relationships with, as those Buy Links are a reader service first and foremost. It doesn't impact or touch core Editorial operations in any way, and our ecommerce team is run separately.

So when I say "we sold" PS5s I'm speaking in shorthand - it's a conversational podcast where we all speak extemporaneously.. IGN didn't sell them - but we can see in our reporting how many people clicked on merchant links and we can see in our reporting totals of what was purchased on those retail websites from people that clicked on our links.

So yeah - on PS5 preorder day, we sent about 5x as many clicks from IGN to various online retailers as we did on all of Black Friday. That's an accurate ballpark stat. That's the "headline" IMO.
Thank you ErrorJustin!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Jim after reading era the past week

tenor.gif

LMAO!!
Kinda surprised the Bethesda announcement didn't derail the hype a bit. It certainly did for me and I'm not even a fan of that studio.

Eh...we can kind of tell that was more to benefit Series pre orders. I like their games, but that didn't sway me. I plan on getting a Series X too anyway, was going to before the Bethesda thing.
From what I've seen in other polls (I think Keighley did a big one too?), this is probably the closest one.

Yeah, the Bethesda thing did do this tho, lol. It was a bigger gap before.

OP
OP
Pat002

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019

1. PS5 Preorder guide is the #1 article on IGN of the year in terms of pageviews. And it didn't eek out #1 - it's closing in on being 2X the #2 article. It was HUGE. It also broke records for the number of concurrent readers in an article. Pageviews aren't a metric that's massively important to us - we pay a lot of attention to engagement, etc.... but still.

2. Like a lot (almost all?) media companies we have an affiliate ecommerce business. When someone clicks on an Amazon or Best Buy or Newegg button and buys a game or piece of hardware we earn a commission on that. We are required by law to make sure that's disclosed, and we always do. And every day we link to retailers we don't have affiliate relationships with, as those Buy Links are a reader service first and foremost. It doesn't impact or touch core Editorial operations in any way, and our ecommerce team is run separately.

So when I say "we sold" PS5s I'm speaking in shorthand - it's a conversational podcast where we all speak extemporaneously.. IGN didn't sell them - but we can see in our reporting how many people clicked on merchant links and we can see in our reporting totals of what was purchased on those retail websites from people that clicked on our links.

So yeah - on PS5 preorder day, we sent about 5x as many clicks from IGN to various online retailers as we did on all of Black Friday. That's an accurate ballpark stat. That's the "headline" IMO.
Thanks for the clarification, I'll add it to the OT right now!

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
While we're getting an impression there isn't anywhere near enough stock for launch to satisfy demand... polls are showing 80% of those who wanted one managed to get a preorder.

If that 80% is a fair representation, it's a surprisingly good planning of launch volume.

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine it's like when they put up an article showing current deals on sites like Amazon people will click the links to see the deal instead of typing in Amazon on the address bar.
yeh I assumed as much as well - but I can't imagine it being that high. A long time ago I used to work for a carrier so I know how crazy it gets when a new phone is out and people are ready to renew their contracts — the vast majority of people get the new phones that way, and the types that like to pay upfront tend to go to Apple directly. There are obviously outliers but those numbers were never going to touch the launch of a console on a gaming oriented publication (which is why I just felt it was weird to consider it significant.)

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So when I say "we sold" PS5s I'm speaking in shorthand - it's a conversational podcast where we all speak extemporaneously.. IGN didn't sell them - but we can see in our reporting how many people clicked on merchant links and we can see in our reporting aggregate stats for what was purchased on those retail websites from our links.

Crazy!

The thirst is real.

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
US COVID19 stimulus check.

That was like 6 months ago lmao
IGN skews US and 3:2, the ratio of responders that will only get a PS5 or only an Xbox, is bigger than the projected split in the US for PS4 vs. Xbox One. That's not... close.

Yeah, people seem to forget this fact lol its only WW Sony truly dominates so seeing this big of split in US for PS5/X is pretty good news for Sony.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yea, but.. if IGN puts Series X that close to PS5, you know something titanic has shifted. Especially since this is a poll after the preorder day. They also said Xbox preorders did well, but clearly nowhere near as well as PS5.

IGN skews US and 3:2, the ratio of responders that will only get a PS5 or only an Xbox, is bigger than the projected split in the US for PS4 vs. Xbox One. That's not... close.

Also, the total percentage on that poll is 51 percent PS5, 33 percent Xbox once you add the percentages for PS5 standard and digital against Series X and Series S. So it's not that close.

Adding the number who said they're interested in both (15 percent), changes the number, but not the 18 percentage point gap.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite some negative PR, most of the items seemed to be...pretty minor? I mean, it didn't feel like there was a PS3/XBO megaton debacle at least. The PlayStation brand is still extraordinarily strong and it's going to take sustained negative feedback for that to drop.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Despite some negative PR, most of the items seemed to be...pretty minor? I mean, it didn't feel like there was a PS3/XBO megaton debacle at least. The PlayStation brand is still extraordinarily strong and it's going to take sustained negative feedback for that to drop.
There wasn't. No matter how much some ppl want it to be.

This is not 2013 in reverse. Some ppl should just be happy that MS is starting next gen better than this gen wrt messaging, marketing.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
While we're getting an impression there isn't anywhere near enough stock for launch to satisfy demand... polls are showing 80% of those who wanted one managed to get a preorder.

If that 80% is a fair representation, it's a surprisingly good planning of launch volume.
Sony is even commissioning full fleets of aircraft to move PS5 shipments to their end destinations. They're clearly making a huge amount of consoles, but the demand is just exceedingly higher. It's nuts.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Also, the total percentage on that poll is 51 percent PS5, 33 percent Xbox once you add the percentages for PS5 standard and digital against Series X and Series S. So it's not that close.

Adding the number who said they're interested in both (15 percent), changes the number, but not the 18 percentage point gap.
Lol ya'll are looking way too hard into this to discount it. In IIRC July it was 54% PS vs 21% Xbox. The week before this poll, 64.7% of people planned to get some type of PS5 vs. 32.2% of people planning to get an Xbox. That's a 32 point difference!!!

So for this poll to be 51% PS5 vs. 33% Xbox (including more people saying they will buy both), that is significantly closer than it used to be. Now, of course, you can interpret the stuff however you want. This is hardly scientific or rigorous. Regardless, this is the closest any of these polls have been in quite some time. No one is saying PlayStation is somehow irrelevant or something lol. PlayStation will continue to outsell Xbox, don't you worry. They don't need anyone to defend their honor.

But you can't deny that there haven't been some very significant shifts in a very short amount of time.

This was in like July.
960x0.jpg

This was the week before the Bethesda announcement:
Screenshot-2020-09-30-101013.png