• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Why do IGN folk get so jittery after a bunch of fanboys mass dislike their negative review of a much hyped game (in this case Death Stranding) that they keep posting sly videos to justify themselves? The review was enough, I'm pretty sure this happened with Days Gone as well. It's common course with an exclusive, just roll with it no need to keep fanning the flames.
Sir this is the Internet you can't just leave a trash fire to burn itself out. That's crazy talk šŸ˜œ

Real talk though (not directed at you Flux) a video producer & editor for IGN literally posted in this thread so if you're this concerned about what their point was you could maybe ask if they have any insight, if y'all haven't scared them off already

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Making a battle royale game out of Tetris is a pretty big innovation

OP
OP

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
"The best games didn't chase after hot trends" would have been a more accurate title.

The first minute of the video wasn't that enticing on the subject, so it takes a bit of time to get to the premise of the video.

Does the OP have an opinion on their OP?

I thought they were being intentionally vague and baity with the title though it's actually "comfort food of 2019 and I love them".

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Death Stranding and DMCV and rebooted MHW made this year awesome for me.

Biggest disagreement I've ever had with IGN on a review, even after Mario Odessey (thought it was overrated but still a solid game). I can't even fathom the DS review though, I haven't stop playing since I got it.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Gears 5 added a semi-open world with side quests to its campaign. Wonderful innovation.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I am happy with what we got. I prefer games with old skool sensibilities like RE2 and DMCV. I'd take that over anything GaaS.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds, Control, and Death Stranding say otherwise but ok, IGN. Given none of those games scored above a 9.0, maybe the video should be titled "The games we loved most in 2019(Didn't do anything New)."

Terrific year for me. Perhaps the strongest since 2015 in terms of catering to my tastes.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Referring to AAA games like indies don't exist that try new things constantly haha. I guess he needs to enter the VR space if he wants innovation. Also Death Stranding and Sekiro say hi.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I played FE for 90 hours, i burn through games like crazy though.
Nintendo had a pretty great summer with stuff like Three Houses, Super Mario Maker 2, Cadence of Hyrule, and Astral Chain. July was probably the weakest month for everybody but even that had Dragon Quest Builders 2. I think the idea of a summer drought is starting to go away.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Game doesn't need be innovative to be good, but it sure helps if it's both.

Also I think The Outer Worlds is innovative. I'm not the RPGest game player ever, but this is the first time I've seen homebase scripts where crew members interact with each other and events happen. Not just "go to crew quarter where person stands around forever and make talk at them" like your Mass Effects. And if it did happen in a game I've played, I forgot about it. So I found that innovative in a way that notably improves the experience in a meaningful way by making the ship feel more lively and interesting.

The whole game doesn't have to reinvent the universe to be innovative. That's rarely ever how innovation works.
I nominate The Outer Worlds for Innovation of the Year. And there's nothing anyone can do to stop me.

I'm gonna watch the video now.
So far I like how his shirt matches the background. A+

Last edited:

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Asgard's Wrath is great, so is Control and a lot of other games. The year was good for gaming.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly agree with the video, but FFS so many of these "best parts of Fallout" mantras miss the bus entirely. On a surface level The Outer Worlds is just the good stuff from Fallout, without the bad, but it doesn't come close to having the same sense of discovery that made those games so memorable, especially New Vegas. It's way too confined and copy/paste.

The rest of the post was clean, but this one don't check out chief. A lot of Sekiros concepts have been done in other action games.

Can't recall the last time I played an action adventure game where Guitar Hero was the foundation for the combat until that point, which is what the person you were quoting was talking about.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
When "new" has often been finding ways to milk the customer for more money and artificially keep him stuck to the game, it's no surprise that a few decidedly old fashioned, back to the roots type of games are popular.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly agree with the video, but FFS so many of these "best parts of Fallout" mantras miss the bus entirely. On a surface level The Outer Worlds is just the good stuff from Fallout, without the bad, but it doesn't come close to having the same sense of discovery that made those games so memorable, especially New Vegas. It's way too confined and copy/paste.

Can't recall the last time I played an action adventure game where Guitar Hero was the foundation for the combat until that point, which is what the person you were quoting was talking about.
because its not fallout. honestly outer worlds is what kotor would have evolved, minus the late stage capitalism stuff, if it had continued.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Not every game has to innovate.

The problem with 2019 is being derivative AND boring. Even 2014 was better.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The Venn diagram of people who think it's a bad year for games and people who ignore 95% of games out there is nearly a perfect circle every year.

Also this IGN video is sorely lacking in the 'show your work' department.

And yet everyone compares it to Fallout, hmm...

Because it has a bunch of Fallout elements, and they made a previous Fallout game. But yeah it's not 1:1 with the Bethesda Falllouts.

To be fair the Bethesda Fallouts didn't have the best parts of Fallout 1 and 2 either.

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
It was only a bad year if you're into specific genres. It was a great year for me.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
people raving about this year but i just donĀ“t see it, it was a big letdown. iĀ“ve played way less this year than in the last years, not much of interest for me.

Sekiro and Death Stranding being the highlights from the bigger games for me so far

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Wilds does absolutely nothing new. Everything in that game is ripped from other game.
What game is like Outer Wilds?

To be clear, I'm saying Outer Wilds, not Outer Worlds.

Also, Sekiro is nothing like Nioh. Nioh plays much closer to like a Bloodborne. There's nothing out there that plays like Sekiro. Even if it borrowed a mechanic (Nioh's parry? which isn't really a central mechanic to the game?)

Last edited:

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those who are saying it's been a terrible year - have y'all looked at the indie space? There's been a lot of really great stuff this year - Outer Wilds (not Worlds), Disco Elysium, Katana Zero, Baba Is You, Telling Lies, A Short Hike, Untitled Goose Game, Gato Roboto, Valfaris, Lonely Mountains Downhill, Erica... so much good stuff! And I'm probably missing a lot!