• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I can see Disco Elysium being some sort of remote descendant of Planescape: Torment...

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The video also doesn't have any of the best games of the year, so it would be hard for me to give it a like.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I guess I can see Disco Elysium being some sort of remote descendant of Planescape: Torment...

I'm sure you can/could argue it, but Disco has been the biggest breath of fresh air in a long while for me compared to the rest of 2019's "best" games.

My other two favorite games this year (RE2make and Luigi's Mansion 3) are both pretty safe in terms of design.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Beastcast said the same thing recently but they were less upbeat about it, calling the best games of the year game comfort food that would struggle to stand shoulder to shoulder with games from an actually good year.

I think this IGN video is a bit closer to my own perspective on it. Nothing wrong with my favourite games of the year.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i kind of detest the premise of this video, the idea that developers should just "give gamers what they want," its weird admonition of "cancel culture" when people were making very legitimate and serious criticisms of Borderlands anti-union bullshit and Gearbox's corporate culture... it's not a good video.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Props to IGN I guess since this needs to be mentioned. I felt that way with every new release this year, except probably Death Stranding in certain aspects.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a crock of shit.

Sekiro gave us an entirely new combat foundation based on rhythm and reflex. Apex innovated the BR genre by a considerable amount by implementing respawn beacons, ping systems and other communication mechanisms for players who dont use mics. Death stranding gave a walking sim where literally you have to manage your balance and play around with walking as an actual mechanic as opposed to just pressing forward (not to mention what an insanely innovate and creative world the game takes place in).

You can literally grab a handful of the best games every year and argue nothing innovated while entirely ignoring other entries that did to make such a disingenuous argument.

Also
Innovation for innovation's sake is a fool's errand.
This.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure what the framework of this discussion is supposed to be like. Ok, they didn't do anything new, but what does it matter if they were well-made, enjoyable experiences?

Death Stranding does something new, and it doesn't look like the type of game I'd be into. New doesn't always equal good, interesting, compelling, etc.

EDIT: Nvm, I see it now. lmao

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Ha I like that this wasn't trashing games that didn't innovate but instead showed that great games don't always need to force something new, and lately studios often force new things that get in the way of actually enjoying the content. I even say that as a big Ninty fan who loves their experimentation that others don't like, and as someone who regularly finds themselves frustrated over "just give gamers what they want" arguments. A well-made and compelling experience stands on its own.

EDIT: Once again looks like a lot of folks didn't watch the video

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, they didn't do anything new, but what does it matter if they were well-made, enjoyable experiences?
I watched the video and that's actually his point it seems
A more accurate title would have been "The best games of 2019 (didn't do anything new, but like, whatever, these games are dope)"

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
shhhh shhh shhhhhh... just Give Gamers What They Want...
I don't really think that's the underlying point here. The stuff criticized in the video were games that haphazardly threw stuff at the wall and played it up as big selling points, when in practice those elements mostly dragged the overall experience down. Also the move toward major titles being online and loot/event-focused.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really think that's the underlying point here. The stuff criticized in the video were games that haphazardly threw stuff at the wall and played it up as big selling points, when in practice those elements mostly dragged the overall experience down.
here's the direct quote from the video:

"the best games in 2019 are the ones to say no to performative innovation and just give players what they want, what they've been saying they want with their mouth holes and their little wallets and their hearts for years. we just want games that are good and functional, that scratch that itch that made us gamers."

i think that narrative is reactionary nonsense

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

"the best games in 2019 are the ones to say no to performative innovation and just give players what they want, what they've been saying they want with their mouth holes and their little wallets and their hearts for years. we just want games that are good and functional, that scratch that itch that made us gamers."

Agreed. It also leaves off a bunch of games (some of which I listed) to make this point because otherwise there would be a bunch of counter points to weaken that suggestion.

Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing wrong with refinement of what works.

But even then I disagree with the premise. Outer Wilds alone was incredibly original.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia

As someone who loathes the "give gamers what they want" line and who did roll my eyes at that line, I think you're taking a single quote from a pretty sarcastic video which provided specific examples of what they disliked and did not gripe about games that did do new things well a bit seriously but do go off

What's the list? Can't watch right now.
Bloodstained
Borderlands 3
Outer Worlds

Literally just a few games that provided straightforward experiences that were overall very solid and engaging

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's not one of the hottest games in the world in the past two months were a game about throwing your piss at ghosts as a delivery boy and a game about a goose. You know, those old stories

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...Outer Wilds? Disco Elysium? Untitled Goose Game?
Add Dicey Dungeons and You have probably my top 4 games this year.

I reject the premise of the video. Reeks of the "I only play games that have been relentlessly marketed to me as the NEXT BIG THING" mindset that leads to derivative games.

Feb 10, 2018
As someone who loathes the "give gamers what they want" line and who did roll my eyes at that line, I think you're taking a single quote from a pretty sarcastic video which provided specific examples of what they disliked and did not gripe about games that did do new things well a bit seriously but do go off

Bloodstained
Borderlands 3
Outer Worlds

Literally just a few games that provided straightforward experiences that were overall very solid and engaging
Surprised no gears 5

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
What a crock of shit.

Sekiro gave us an entirely new combat foundation based on rhythm and reflex. Apex innovated the BR genre by a considerable amount by implementing respawn beacons, ping systems and other communication mechanisms for players who dont use mics. Death stranding gave a walking sim where literally you have to manage your balance and play around with walking as an actual mechanic as opposed to just pressing forward (not to mention what an insanely innovate and creative world the game takes place in).

You can literally grab a handful of the best games every year and argue nothing innovated while entirely ignoring other entries that did to make such a disingenuous argument.

Also

This.
Well said.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who loathes the "give gamers what they want" line and who did roll my eyes at that line, I think you're taking a single quote from a video which provided specific examples of what they disliked and did not gripe about games that did do new things well a bit seriously but do go off

Bloodstained
Borderlands 3
Outer Worlds
sorry, you can't just defend a video essay about a topic and then go "but uhhhhh you are taking what they said seriously but go off i guess" when the narrative the video is promoting is called out as bullshit with a direct specific quote from the source

yes, i take it seriously because i think it's not a good use of a platform of 12 million subscribers to spread narratives like that

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
Funny to see a video with this premise just a few days after the launch of Death Stranding 😂

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Surprised no gears 5
I don't think this video was meant to be all that serious tbh, reminds me of some shit Cracked used to do. Or maybe IGN's content is this low brow, idk I don't keep up with them at all

sorry, you can't just defend a video essay about a topic and then go "but uhhhhh you are taking what they said seriously but go off i guess" when the narrative the video is promoting is called out as bullshit with a direct specific quote from the source

yes, i take it seriously because i think it's not a good use of a platform of 12 million subscribers to spread narratives like that
I detest using "defend" like this so focus whatever emotion you're experiencing right now elsewhere pls

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm glad Astral Chain gave me a novel combat system about controlling two characters at once and adapting to the situation, instead of P* making another Bayonetta-lite system for their new action-adventure game.

Likewise, I'm much more intrigued by what Death Stranding turned out to be than what I assumed it would be.

And then Disco Elysium sounds absolutely awesome.

Both iterative and novel games contributed to this year's selection of titles.

edit: I forgot that one of this year's biggest sensations is a game about a friggin' goose.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
IGN: "These games don't do anything new!"

Also IGN "DS is weird! 6.8"
How is this a contradiction? Just because they want more games with new premises doesn't mean any new premise has to be good

Not to say I completely agree with the video, 2019 only didn't do anything new if you're focusing on a few specific games. There were plenty of fantastic new concepts this year.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
lol this is definitely a bait video from IGN following the reactions people had to their DS review. I thought it was a little heavy-handed, but it should be fun to see how people react to this.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Games in 2018 did nothing new either. In fact I don't think any of my favorite games in the past few years did anything particularly new. Not that games need to in order to be amazing

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
How is this a contradiction? Just because they want more games with new premises doesn't mean any new premise has to be good

Not to say I completely agree with the video, 2019 only didn't do anything new if you're focusing on a few specific games. There were plenty of fantastic new concepts this year.

I don't think its a coincidence that the games that really stray from the flock are often boring or frustrating to play. I was just pointing out that DS is an example of this for the IGN reviewer.

There's a reason why games don't try to reinvent the wheel.

If the article said something like "Games are all the same and it's boring because of it" then that would make sense. But they're acknowleding in their thread title that there are good games out, better than normal. It's because the quality of those games are high, which is what matters. Not that they're different.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

You dropped a very important "Some".

Oct 27, 2017
"The best games didn't chase after hot trends" would have been a more accurate title.

The first minute of the video wasn't that enticing on the subject, so it takes a bit of time to get to the premise of the video.

Does the OP have an opinion on their OP?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

He's saying it's good and he's glad some games have stuck to tried and true formulas. They didn't try to go in a completely different direction for a franchise, or a different experience (like Fallout going online-only, etc.).

Developers made solid, fun games that he had a good time with. He calls it "comfort food".

His list was:

Bloodstained
Borderlands 3
Outer Worlds ("Perhaps the most important title on the list")

(Some mild) Shots fired at Fallout 76 and Destiny 2.