• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
when was the entire action genre reduced to hack n' slash?
We got more specific with genres. Overtime hack n slash evolved into classification as "character action" to differentiate hard core action games from Dynasty Warriors, God of War, and other more simplistic beat em ups, while games like gears and uncharted are third person cover shooters. This list is third person melee action games, and includes all of the deepest ones with the most complex fighting systems. Vanquish is a weird choice since it's a TPS game with a character action spin on it, and God of War isn't a character action game at all. The list is weird, it's like they went all in on character action but had GoW as the #1 off the bat and threw vanquish in.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Genres are weird. My first thought was Max Payne, but I guess that's not an action game.

I'm more of a brawler guy, generally don't care for the hectic pace of stylish character action games (SCAGs), but I'll probably get to the #1 on this list at some point. Get the impression it's not so extreme, has more of a balanced pace, closer to something I could maybe get into.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't going to judge the games based on the "Action" gameplay aka the combat system .... Might as well put Nier:A,Bloodborne,BOTW or Witcher 3 as #1.

And why are all the games after 2005. What about 2D Action games.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
God of War 3 shouldn't be on the list. God of War 2 & God of War Chains of Olympus should be.

God of War (2018) as #1 is an easy pick. It's by far the best game on that list and delivers both, fantastic combat and an impactful story.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Im sorry, but if we are going to go this route, Kingdom Hearts 2 has to be there in the list. No matter what people think of the series, KH2 has one of the best combats in history.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, I agree with that number 1. God of War 2018 had an excellent combat system, likely the best I've played. it's the only video game to remind me of the masterful pacing and action gameplay of RE4. DMC5 was an excellent game, but it was largely just bringing back and refining the already proven series standard gameplay, where God of War completely reinvented itself and the genre to an extent.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
God of War wasn't even put in the Best Action Game category for TGA last year , it was in Action/Adventure.

Best Action Game
Dead Cells – Motion Twin
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 – Treyarch/Activision
Destiny 2: Forsaken – Bungie/Activision
Far Cry 5 – Ubisoft
Mega Man 11 – Capcom

Best Action/Adventure Game
God of War – SIE Santa Monica Studio/Sony Interactive Entertainment
Assassin's Creed Odyssey – Ubisoft
Marvel's Spider-Man – Insomniac Games/Sony Interactive Entertainment
Red Dead Redemption 2 – Rockstar Games
Shadow of the Tomb Raider – Eidos Montréal/Square Enix

IGNs list seems weird because it look like they are specifically referring to Character Action games and not stuff every Action game like FPS or 2D games ( Obvious omissions being stuff like Doom or Dead Cells ). But then they go and put the new GOW as #1 , which would mean plenty of other games should be considered too like the souls games.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from ranking this is decent list. I'll only swap God of War 3 with God Hand, because the former was exactly the time, when many people get fatigued of series, while God Hand introduced mechanics that no other action game had at the time and maybe to this day?

Thumbs up for Vanquish. For me is the Ninja Gaiden of third person shooters, because of the intensity of action and its depth of mechanics.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
God of War 2018 is an admission from IGN that God Hand Rules Actually if you think about it.

(GoW3 is honestly the bigger sin on that list. What a dreadfully boring game that is.)

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't going to judge the games based on the "Action" gameplay aka the combat system .... Might as well put Nier:A,Bloodborne,BOTW or Witcher 3 as #1.

And why are all the games after 2005. What about 2D Action games.

If a platformer had the best feeling platform mechanics you've ever played, but the actual level design was mediocre, would you consider it to be the best platformer ever?

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I thought GoW2 was the best in the series from an action perspective. But they included NG2 so I'll allow it.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Thank you all for not tagging me. I understand why now..

YOUR BOI OKABE IS BIG MAD AT NUMBER ONE

rude

Oct 25, 2017
"Overall" game and "complete" game is shit people say when they are trying to make excuses for the gameplay.

Bayonetta n DMC n the like aren't slacking as overall experiences by any stretch, they are straight up built around their combat instead of a bunch of tertiary systems, with all sorts of stuff that add replay value to the experience.

Protagonists are cocky, angry, precise, smug, cheeky, dominating to match the combat style of their games. The level design doesnt need to be like Dark Souls, these games don't benefit from messing with enemy placements n different elevations.

They have diverse enemy rosters and appropriately pairs them to challenge the player with what are usually decent to fucking excellent(Vergil, Genshin, and Jeanne) boss fights.

Their lack of tedious walking segments or ahem "puzzles" is not exactly a detriment. If anything it speaks to the quality of their core systems.

Too long; didn't read the lack of God Hand is absurd.
Edit: also dad of war is an action game, a good one even, but like the previous god of war games, outclassed.
This.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
If a platformer had the best feeling platform mechanics you've ever played, but the actual level design was mediocre, would you consider it to be the best platformer ever?

Yes. You're specifically talking about that part of the game, not the overall product. Destiny is the best shooter I've ever played because it's got the best gunplay of any game I've ever played, but I certainly wouldn't call it the best game I've ever played.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

If i had to choose between
Game A that has 10/10 platforming mechanics , 7/10 everything else and
Game B that has 8/10 platforming and 10/10 everything else

I would pick Game A for Best Platformer and Game B for Best Game.

The inclusion of GOW makes many other games eligible. Games that are weaker than the entries here in terms of Combat mechanics but far outclass them in everything else.

If you are going to put GOW 2018 as #1 based on however you define this "Genre" , then games 2-10 are pretty bad picks. Except for maybe Ninja Gaiden Black and DMC3.

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it wouldn't be on their list as they couldn't draw a circle with an analog stick but The Wonderful 101 would be really high on mine.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Congrats to Sony!
Congrats to Santa Monica!
Congrats to Cory Barlow!
Congrats to God Of War!
And last but not least congrats to Kratos for returning with a bang!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. You're specifically talking about that part of the game, not the overall product. Destiny is the best shooter I've ever played because it's got the best gunplay of any game I've ever played, but I certainly wouldn't call it the best game I've ever played.

It is about the overall product. It's best action game, not best combat mechanics. If you they were judging it purely on combat mechanics, then the list would likely look different. But they're taking the entire game into account and not just a singular aspect of it. They even note that GoW is the "complete package".

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of mechanical depth, fluidity, feel and variety "best action", and not just talking melee, is a two game conversation between DMC5 and MGSV.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are we giving the list any value? Are we that hard up for a discussion? Change the thread title to: some guy at IGN that isn't more qualified than you ranks his favorite action games. We place too much emphasis on game journalists. I mean as far as clickbait goes, lots if folks in here got caught hook, line and sinker.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
It is about the overall product. It's best action game, not best combat mechanics. If you they were judging it purely on combat mechanics, then the list would likely look different. But they're taking the entire game into account and not just a singular aspect of it. They even note that GoW is the "complete package".

Then the list is bad because #2-#10 have a lot of bad picks. There are far better "Overall packages" that should be included then.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Then don't call it best action game. That in and of itself suggests combat mechanics.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
#1 is definitely the most well rounded game of them but I imagine a lot of the Action Game community will not be happy because they prioritize gameplay so much over everything else.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Gow is more like bayo than i thought it would be. Ive been hearing comparisons to souls this whole time. The system has bits and pieces from a few games and while the control might feel a mix of bloodborne and their own less demanding style, the discreet fight/light puzzle/light traversal sections alternating is more like a typical hard action game than souls.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I just find the over-the-top "stylized" cheesiness of those hacknslash games to be completely off-putting.

Ignoring the presentation, some of these games have very deep gameplay systems and very high skill ceilings. I also wouldn't call something like Ninja Gaiden Black overly stylised... It's really all about the combat. I can understand it being off putting with DMC and Bayo though.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
A lot of posts in this thread confirms to me that most gamers don't actually think about combat systems and settle for whatever is the easiest to feels good.

EDIT: And also a lot of people don't know wtf is an Action game

the lack of variety in that list is sad.

Not surprising, there are only three studios in the world trying to make the greatest action games.

Last edited:

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I've played all of these but dmc 5 so I guess I should play that. I liked bayo 1 over 2 also.