• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
Title doesn't match article. When they announced the game was being taken on by Tencent nobody expected other side to be working on it.

The question is if Tencent continued the same project, rebooted it from scratch, or canned it outright. We still have no info on that.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'm almost more interested hearing that Spector is working on a new IP. Excited to see what they come up with

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If System Shock 3 doesn't have the budget, publisher support, studio expertise, and vision behind it for the game to be damn near a Mount Rushmore candidate the day review embargos drop, it won't live up to the impossible expectations.

You need the Avengers of game development to make System Shock 3 a success. Even the outsourcing has to go to the X-Men. I don't wish that pressure on any team.

Just let it go imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
If System Shock 3 doesn't have the budget, publisher support, studio expertise, and vision behind it for the game to be damn near a Mount Rushmore candidate the day review embargos drop, it won't live up to the impossible expectations.

You need the Avengers of game development to make System Shock 3 a success. I don't wish that on any team.

Just let it go imo.

In fairness, if anybody would have access to these it would be Tencent.

Deleted member 11040

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2022
Remember playing the demo back in 16/17, it was so complex and I was a kid back then so it didn't help but it sad its pretty much cancelled.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to take a wild guess that Tencent is doing nothing with it.

Their initial announcement made it sound like they thought they had bought the IP outright, which was quickly put down by Night Dive frantically putting out PR that they still owned System Shock and that Otherside was only a licensee. When the dust and fog cleared Tencent probably opted to just let it die instead of going all-in on a mere license to an IP that never set sales charts on fire.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
I was really excited about Eitr, but the development of it seemed like an absolute disaster, from what I've picked up through statements, etc. And losing their publisher, I think, means that it's certainly never coming out, unfortunately. It's a real shame because the art that we saw was fantastic, it seemed like a solid concept. That trailer was absolutely fantastic and showed just enough to let you know what the game would be.

I know the devs expressed a desire to complete it, but last word was pre-pandemic, if I recall.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Can't say I'm surprised. Honestly wasn't too excited either despite that one promising looking teaser trailer... The only (?) game they've put out, Underworld Ascendant, seemed piss-poor by all accounts. Here's hoping that Nightdive Studios remake of the first System Shock will finally see the light of day soon.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if the remake of System Shock by Nightdive Studios is really popular, then that will push whoever to continue working on System Shock 3.

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
The fate of this game and Bloodlines 2 was truly some monkey paw shit.
My dev bud in Brighton told me that Bloodlines 2 is in the works at the Chinese Room, which aligns with their recent job postings. It's worth stressing, however, that the current configuration of the studio is essentially new as Dan Pinchbeck fired everyone a half a decade ago.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
My dev bud in Brighton told me that Bloodlines 2 is in the works at the Chinese Room, which aligns with their recent job postings. It's worth stressing, however, that the current configuration of the studio is essentially new as Dan Pinchbeck fired everyone a half a decade ago.
If the chinese room is working on it, seems almost better to bury it as they have no history or experience in a game like that.

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
If the chinese room is working on it, seems almost better to bury it as they have no history or experience in a game like that.
I have no hopes for the game, but as said, it's probably better to think of them as an entirely different studio. They've hired people with RPG experience that next-gen Harry Potter thingee and Beamdog, etc...

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Eh. After what the studio did with Underworld Ascendant I couldn't even pretend to have good expectations about this, even if the project was still in their hands.

Allegedly almost done and close to a release at this point.
Development Hell - However they just announced a partnership with a publisher in December alongside a media-dump so it's still in far better shape than this or Bloodlines 2.
Planned to release in 2022.
Thanks, I guess there is hope. I am aware of the dev hell situation so I was wondering if it got canned or something. What i remember last is that it was supposed to release last summer. Obviously that never happened.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Xbox still promoting it and got it for Gamepass

R.ba2f8f4c3e09db010de5fc44980d3b0a
What the poster who replied to you was implying was that the game you're talking about (The Last Night) got "replaced" by that very similar looking game, Replaced, that was announced last year. MS most certainly did cut ties with The Last Night soon after the creator's past tweets etc. made the rounds.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
What the poster who replied to you was implying was that the game you're talking about (The Last Night) got "replaced" by that very similar looking game, Replaced, that was announced last year. MS most certainly did cut ties with The Last Night soon after the creator's past tweets etc. made the rounds.
Oh, I thought they changed the title. It looks exactly the same lol.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
What a nightmare.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Chinese Room? A game like that doesn't seem their strength? :/

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017

Wonder how much have they've scrapped from Hardsuit Labs' work? I'm pretty pessimistic about The Chinese Room pulling this off.

The game's journey so far is worthy of a novel.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I remember this. The art direction looks beautiful, it's such a shame that the game seems to be in development hell.
Less development hell and moreso that the game is being worked on by only two people who're kinda doing everything by themselves which involves a lot of self taught workflows as they work out the game. As recent as a month ago a dev posted this on their subreddit:

yep we're definitely still in it :). Glad to hear there's still more people out there who are anticipating the release as much as us