• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day consumers will decide. But don't make flawed comparisons to justify 30%.
They charge 30% because they want, and they can (till competition kicks in).

Let Valve create their own hardware, their operating system, and build their user base with all the risks. Then they can make this sort fo comparison.
Valve created an OS.
They created hardware.
They built their own userbase from scratch with all the risks it entails, since they started it all and they grew it out.

There is being clueless, and then there is being this obtuse.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
How does VR R&D have anything to do with this? The thread has revolved around "Steam provides so valuable R&D/features that they have to get high take rates"
Sony release VR hardware => you can use the entire R&D budget from their annual report.
Valve made VR things => How does VR R&D have anything to do with this?

------------------------
*not that I'm denying that valve could likely "stomach a take rate reduction", just like Sony could just looking at their annual report for the past 10 years. That consummer would benefit from it is another question obviously.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Let Valve create their own hardware, their operating system, and build their user base with all the risks. Then they can make this sort fo comparison.
They do all of that tho and their software development in gaming related circles is already on par with MS. Additionaly, they offer a bigger userbase than any of the console manufaturers.
I gave you factual numbers, when you pulled $200m out of your ass.
You pulled those numbers out of your butt mate. You have no idea how much Valve invests in R&D and neither do any of us here. Pretending that you can deduct actual numbers out of the vague information available doesn't give you any bonus points.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

As someone who was around in 2004 and can remember the messy PC gaming landscape back then very well this is baffling to read, too many here are talking without any knowledge of how things were and then slowly changed. Building and running a store back then was a huge risk. They got backlash. But they kept working on it, brought other publishers on board one by one, implemented features. Those millions of users on Steam every day you see right now didn't just come out of nowhere, Steam didn't become big over night, it took a long time to, well, build their userbase with all the risks.

While a PC store is just using other people's work on creating the open PC platform we have today and Microsoft's work on its operating system over decades without giving them a dime.

Ya, everyone selling software for Windows is just a lazy leech and not contributing to the attractiveness and health of the PC as a whole. Also don't forget that Valve is using the internet without having invented it.

Last edited:

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Guys valve has other costs in Research and development, specially for tings like white outs, and keeping bee farms, ans black leather gloves. They need to put the man hours to get what people need.

Sorry

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I haven't read the 12 pages of comment so i don't know if someone has mentioned this before. it anyone has and it has been discussed feel free to ignore my comment.

The IGN article completely ignores the fact that valve takes a 0% cut from steam keys. This effectively means that valve's cut is always less than 30% unless the dev chooses to sell on steam only. I think the article should ahve gone deeper and ask devs how much of their sales are in form of cd keys. Paradox and rebelion have their stores where buying from them grants them 100% of revenue of their games.
Obviously steam keys might be a small part of the sales but with how many key sites there are maybe these cd-keys can reach a high ammount of sales which would efectively mean that valve's cut is lower then 30% for sure.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It does not make sense comparing to console and mobile stores.They have to build the whole hardware and software infrastructure from scratch, and attract a consumers base for you to sell your game there, while they are taking all the risk. It is reasonable to cut 30% for them.

While a PC store is just using other people's work on creating the open PC platform we have today and Microsoft's work on its operating system over decades without giving them a dime.
It's wild. Valve made an entire genre blow up with SteamVR, the Index, and basically giving HTC the Vive brand. They built a OS and hardware to go with it. They built the Steam Link and Steam Controller. They built proton to bring more people to linux, they created the massive Steam store infrastructure. They attracted consumers with their community tools, and customization of your profile, and they attract developers with their vast free resources they hand out to all steam developers. They consistently pour resources into new R&D for gaming and some how 30% isn't right?

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand why 30% being the industry standard automatically means it's fine. Does $7.25 being the standard minimum wage in most states mean its fine?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
VR hardware R&D is a justification for a larger cut on VR games. I know if I was a developer I'd feel pretty shitty paying a VR tax every time I put out a non-VR game because Valve wants to make speculative plays in the market. I'd definitely look for alternatives where I don't have to fund whatever venture the store owner is dreaming up in addition to feeding myself. Especially when the hardware my money pays for is insanely expensive and niche, so it's not even unlocking a large install base for me to sell to.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't really understand why 30% being the industry standard automatically means it's fine. Does $7.25 being the standard minimum wage in most states mean its fine?
You need to at least read the summary in the OP. Epic is using that 30% cut as evil while only aiming at Steam, and IGN is trying to explain that people shouldn't point their fingers only at Steam. Steam alone can't change it, there needs to be a mutual agreement between most stores across platforms.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
VR hardware R&D is a justification for a larger cut on VR games. I know if I was a developer I'd feel pretty shitty paying a VR tax every time I put out a non-VR game because Valve wants to make speculative plays in the market. I'd definitely look for alternatives where I don't have to fund whatever venture the store owner is dreaming up in addition to feeding myself. Especially when the hardware my money pays for is insanely expensive and niche, so it's not even unlocking a large install base for me to sell to.

Exactly.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

If valve (or anyone else) would charge more money for VR games than for other games, they would activele dissuade developers from creating VR games at all, stifling the entire industry and medium in the process.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
If valve (or anyone else) would charge more money for VR games than for other games, they would activele dissuade developers from creating VR games at all, stifling the entire industry and medium in the process.

And you believe they should charge more from small developers that don't make VR games and don't profit from it to fund Valve's VR plans?

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And you believe they should charge more from small developers that don't make VR games and don't profit from it to fund Valve's VR plans?

Can ask why you only answer post which confirm your bias when you are ignoring the fantastics answers from Lain and thirtypercent?

Valve created an OS.
They created hardware.
They built their own userbase from scratch with all the risks it entails, since they started it all and they grew it out.

As someone who was around in 2004 and can remember the messy PC gaming landscape back then very well this is baffling to read, too many here are talking without any knowledge of how things were and then slowly changed. Building and running a store back then was a huge risk. They got backlash. But they kept working on it, brought other publishers on board one by one, implemented features. Those millions of users on Steam every day you see right now didn't just come out of nowhere, Steam didn't become big over night, it took a long time to, well, build their userbase with all the risks.

Ya, everyone selling software for Windows is just a lazy leech and not contributing to the attractiveness and health of the PC as a whole. Also don't forget that Valve is using the internet without having invented it.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Valve created an OS.
They created hardware.

I think the key thing missing here is how Valve's hardware and OS benefit most developers and publishers on their platform, and whether that's worth the cut to them. For larger publishers like Ubi, EA, and Activision, it clearly doesn't at all, which is why they're moving their games off Steam and onto their own platforms.

Sweeney's messaging is on point because he's appealing to the fact that it doesn't to a lot of devs. There absolutely are beneficiaries to what Valve is doing (particularly the PC gaming market and community), but that's not the concern or domain of most of Valve's business patrons. In that respect, Valve's cut is indeed metaphorically a tax.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Because unless Vale only charges 30% for games that use their own hardware/OS infrastructure, they missed the point.
So every game that uses Steamworks features should have the cut? That's... 98% of them. So nothing really changes.

As much as I like VR, I prefer to let small developers that work on the edge of sustainability in their business to keep this difference for them, and let the big companies with huge profits invest on hardware novelty.
Then thank god you have no say in this in any way that matters.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
Yes actually. That's how Subsidies work.

As much as I like VR, I prefer to let small developers that work on the edge of sustainability in their business to keep this difference for them, and let the big companies with huge profits invest on hardware novelty.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because unless Vale only charges 30% for games that use their own hardware/OS infrastructure, they missed the point.

It was about this opinion of yours:

But whatever, you are not here for learn about nothing.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think the key thing missing here is how Valve's hardware and OS benefit most developers and publishers on their platform, and whether that's worth the cut to them. For larger publishers like Ubi, EA, and Activision, it clearly doesn't at all, which is why they're moving their games off Steam and onto their own platforms.

Sweeney's messaging is on point because he's appealing to the fact that it doesn't to a lot of devs. There absolutely are beneficiaries to what Valve is doing (particularly the PC gaming market and community), but that's not the concern or domain of most of Valve's business patrons. In that respect, Valve's cut is indeed metaphorically a tax.

:O

And what about the Sony tax? And the Gog tax? And but Windows store tax? And the Nintendo tax? And the Apple tax?

Why the outsized negative framing of one company? That's the subtext of this article. This is exactly what it's talking about.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

And what about the Sony tax? And the Gog tax? And but Windows store tax? And the Nintendo tax? And the Apple tax?

Why the outsized negative framing of one company? That's the subtext of this article. This is exactly what it's talking about.
At least we know Tim somehow doesn't mind the Gog tax when it allow him to prop his own store policy :

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone knew this... The argument is that it's always been too big a cut.

That's not necessarily something I personally agree with (there's a lot of nuance to this that gets lost in the black and white sensibilities of the internet), but, like, this isn't... news.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
At least we know Tim somehow doesn't mind the Gog tax when it allow him to prop his own store policy :

Gog is using that extremely high cut to develop Gog Galaxy which doesn't benefit developers directly. And the rest are using to keep their head above water, which also doesn't benefit developers. Gog's cut is indeed metaphorically a tax.

That's why we need EGS to help little developers like Ubisoft and 2K push taxing oppressors like Gog out of the market.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Console makers should price their devices to properly account for R&D and not "tax" developers as highly. I'm sure consumers will be quite pleased to support the devs!

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see the bullshit argument has cropped up again, that console manufacturers "deserve" a higher cut because of actions they take that are almost entirely for their own benefit, so I guess I can just reuse my post the same way EGS' defenders do in every thread:

You couldn't come up with a dumber premise than these companies somehow deserving an increased cut over other platforms because of the expenses they have incurred doing everything possible to lock down and wall off their respective platforms, which is explicitly so they can apply the aforementioned increased cuts and sell proprietary peripherals and subscriptions.

It is completely backwards logic that a closed platform holder "deserves" more for making the "effort" of deliberately avoiding open standards to enforce proprietary ones they can monetise and control.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I don't get why Tim Sweeney thinks he should be the police of who gets to set their store take at what. If the EGS 12% cut is so attractive then publishers / developers can put their games on there exclusively without needing a big incentive. That's what EA, Blizzard, Ubisoft etc. have already been doing and no one was complaining about it.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
You need to at least read the summary in the OP. Epic is using that 30% cut as evil while only aiming at Steam, and IGN is trying to explain that people shouldn't point their fingers only at Steam. Steam alone can't change it, there needs to be a mutual agreement between most stores across platforms.
Steam can change their cut alone, companies don't collude like that when pricing their cuts as in many countries its very illegal. Why these industry standards come about is more of unwritten mutually beneficial agreement where a company could go below that cut to outmaneuver a competitor in the market but the loses a result of doing (and fundamental profitability changes) don't overcome the benefits of potential increased market share.

What your seeing in Epic moves is a company who feels the benefits out ways the issues of challenging that status quo.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
EGS doesn't buy exclusives. They buy for a game not to release on steam. It's kind of fucking nuts.

Oct 25, 2017

Super duper illegal. There's about a century of laws and regulations concerning monopolies and oligopolies, and they're sure not going to get chucked out the window over digital games distribution.

Monopolies are bad. Collusion and price fixing between major players is bad.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

I can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse over the difference between an open and closed platform. For consoles and Apple devices, which are closed platforms by virtue of controlling both the hardware and software, there is no competition for delivery mechanisms, and hence no room for discussion.

On Android—guess what, there is room. That's why Fortnite isn't offered on the Play store—you have to download the APK directly. It's why large entities like Amazon have tried run their own software ecosystems on Android, yet can't afford to do so on iOS. In China, there's a litany of competing app stores because Google is banned and doesn't have hegemony over the ecosystem.

If you want to talk about GOG and other PC storefronts, their cut is based on the industry precedent—in this case, a precedent mostly reinforced by Steam. But then again, these smaller storefronts aren't particularly good at courting patrons, and at their scale, it's questionable whether they're even sustainable businesses, which is why they're mostly either dead, about to die, or perpetually unable to grow.

"Why the negative framing of Steam" is an obvious answer. Epic isn't in a position to negotiate the cut on closed platforms. They strike where they're able to. And despite Android being a semi-open platform, it's still a risky endeavor to run your own store (again, see Amazon). Epic wanted to diversify in the face of decreasing Fortnite revenue YoY, saw PCDD as a market rife for disruption, and swung for gold.

Also just going to add that you shouldn't be forced to question the state of the industry standard if you just want a better cut on PC. It's not Epic's responsibility, or any other single dev or publisher.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what your point is

Yes you do. You tried to make a claim that what Steam is offering to reduce the cut is essentially unattainable for the vast majority of indies, which is no different to EGS picking and choosing its "winners", also unattainable for the majority of indies, seeing as a) you need to be hand-picked by EGS to even get onto the platform, b) an even smaller fraction will actually avail of EGS' up-front cash, which is the only reason any indies are on it, and c) you're competing for this pot of up-front cash with other such "little guys" as Borderlands, Metro and Shenmue.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Steam can change their cut alone, companies don't collude like that when pricing their cuts as in many countries its very illegal. Why these industry standards come about is more of unwritten mutually beneficial agreement where a company could go below that cut to outmaneuver a competitor in the market but the loses a result of doing (and fundamental profitability changes) don't overcome the benefits of potential increased market share.

What your seeing in Epic moves is a company who feels the benefits out ways the issues of challenging that status quo.
The argument is that Valve's position as the market leader puts them in a dangerous position in this context. There are other stores such as GOG that are barely making money at 30% as it is. If the market leader were to aggressively lower its cut, everyone else would be pressured to do the same, and be driven out of business. It could have legal consequences for Valve.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hehe, we had people earlier arguing that not wanting to pay steam its god given right to 30% was similar to not wanting to pay workers a decent wage. The conversation has at times gotten strange when it involves steam

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

It seems like the answer to that is fairly obvious. Steam's feature set attracts users to the platform. More users = a bigger potential audience for developers and publishers to sell their game to.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't know what your point is

Their point is that for the vast majority of indie titles the greener pastures of Epic's better cut are entirely blocked off from them. It's the exact same situation that indie developers complained about for years before Valve opened the floodgates on Steam except, for obvious reasons, much worse. Games like Ooblets and Untitled Goose Game are the Super Meat Boys and Braids of today; they're nowhere near the small indie darlings that you believe Steam is hurting so badly and it's honestly incredibly disingenuous to try and make Epic out to be indie gaming's savour when that couldn't be any farther from the truth.

And honestly I think that points to the crux of the situation, which is that Epic has not got to where it is today through its better cut alone; it did it, and will very likely continue to do it, through monopolistic practices that, if successful, will consolidate the entire PC Gaming space to a level much greater than today. There's no reason to believe that if Steam were to somehow lower their cut to 12% that this would all stop; in fact I'd argue that it would give even more incentive for Epic to moneyhat games and force exclusivity as if that were to happen then it would have literally no USP to call its own.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their point is that for the vast majority of indie titles the greener pastures of Epic's better cut are entirely blocked off from them. It's the exact same situation that indie developers complained about for years before Valve opened the floodgates on Steam except, for obvious reasons, much worse. Games like Ooblets and Untitled Goose Game are the Super Meat Boys and Braids of today; they're nowhere near the small indie darlings that you believe Steam is hurting so badly and it's honestly incredibly disingenuous to try and make Epic out to be indie gaming's savour when that couldn't be any farther from the truth.

I never said EGS was the savior of gaming. I never even mentioned them..? I just think 30% is too high.