• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Why would I need 10 choices to describe my overall opinion when I'm trying to put it in a most simple way and general way? 10 options is just way to much.

I prefer a four star system.

No stars means it is absolute garbage.
One star means it's pretty garbage.
Two star means it's a bit garbage.
Three star means it's not garbage.
Four star means it's hella not garbage.

Very scientific, you see.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I much highly prefer recommended or not recommended. So just a 2 point score system.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Shucks. I like my 100 point scales. It may make comparatives finicky, but I've definely felt that some games are better than, say, a 7.5 but less than an 8.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Seriously what the hell is the purpose of half of this scale? How can a 5 be considered mediocre when 94% of scores are higher than 5? Mediocre is supposed to mean average. The average here is 7.8 (or just 8 on this new scale). An average game is not "Great".

This new scale is still useless.
If they would rate every game it would be the average. But they do not review crap! Why? Noone wants to read it. The only occasions when such low scores happen is when it is a highly anticipated game that's utterly crap.

So the main reason there are no 1-5 scores and its reviews is that they would be suicide to produce ;)

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
5 point system would be better, though I actually advocate for a 6 point system (scale of 5 but with 0 as the lowest possible score instead of 1)

Reason why is because I don't like the idea of there being a perfectly average score, I think the score should have to lean one way or the other towards good or bad. On a scale from 1-5, the average is 3. On a scale from 0-5, the average is 2.5 which means that 3 leans slightly more towards good and now you've got 3 distinct levels of good and bad instead of only two, and no more cop out "meh" score either.

Last edited:

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's like, your naked eye can't even perceive the difference between 7.2 and 10.0 before 50 inches.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By having a . scale is essentially making the reviews a 100 point review rather then a 10 point review it was originally intended to be.

This is probably for the better. Creates less stupid review scores and forces the reviewer to commit to a score/narrative rather then a half ass answer.

Nov 1, 2017
I think 5 star system works a lot better. 3 is average but still good. Everything above is varying degrees of great, everything below is bad.

The thing with 10 point system I think alot of people perceive good quality to be rated at 8 and above.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a hard supporter of the 100 point scale. Always have been always will be. I can't think of many outlets that still adhere to that system. Easy Allies is my go to but I believe they are 20 point scale. Sucks.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I get what they are going for, but I feel like a 20 point scale is better. I think saying a game is a 7.5 instead of a 7 is actually quite important.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I was already over IGN reviews, they just seem rushed to shit. Everyone should just find that one person on a podcast or something that like the games you like and dont have to rush a review out because they have to.

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Way to much granularity in a 10 point scale. Who cares about 1-4,its just degrees of shit,. A 1 out of 10 games smells more shittier than a 2 out of 10? It should be 5 stars,with none of that half star bullshit either. Its up to you,the reviewer,to round up or down depending on how you feel.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
ENUSyUUUcAE3ksL

https://twitter.com/Real_Kilometers/status/1212896581675933696

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The old system was fine, and the new system also seems fine. The bigger issue in my mind is that most reviews assign one score to a game, even if there are multiple versions of that game and they often don't even mention what platform they played it on. For example if you give Bloodstained an 8 or 9 on PS4, that score certainly should not apply to the Switch version.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You know I cared about this shit TOO MUCH when I was like 16. That was over 20 years ago now and in those 2 decades my eyes have been opened to a review system that only one website dared used back in the day (which I just hated back then). None other than Daily Radar. They only had a 4 point scale, no decimals.

Something rated on that scale is challenging in a way because you actually have to commit to a decision much like "at the movies" did for years prior to daily radar. Why ? because there no longer exists a way to call a game average. No one cares about a 5/10. All they care about is 1/10, 4/10, 8/10 and 10/10. So why bother having anything else ?

Obviously these scores weren't just numbers but I think it's easy to see now what they were meant to imply - Direct Hit (amazing, don't miss game , the type of game that scores a 9 or a 10/10), Hit (still fantastic but has less than a handful of issues keeping it from being a milestone, these days a 7-8/10). Miss (this just didn't work but it might not be terrible, probably equivalent in this day and age to a 5 or a 6/10 , back in 1999 they got a TON of hate mail for giving this rating to final fantasy 8) and finally , Dud (trash, if there are any redeeming qualities, they weren't enough this from being binned. This covers anything that would score a 4/10 or lower because honestly, who buys a 4/10 game unironically ? outside of someone who only reads IGN and still bought godhand and Double dragon Neon because IGN is the pits). Sisken and Ebert of course pretty much adhered to the same scale but called it 2 thumbs up, 1 thumb up, 1 thumb down, 2 thumbs down but it honestly meant just about the same thing in the end. Why do you need decimals all over the place ?

IGN can get some props then for whittling their points system down but let's all be honest with ourselves here - no one cares about a game that gets less than a 7/10 even on this new scale. Everyone is focused much more on games that get an 8/10 and how much better is X compared to Y when Y also scored an 8/10.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I love how they explain exactally what a 5 means to them but then people comment that ign is wrong and doesnt know what a 5 is supposed to be. Its igns flippin review scale people, if they say that a 5 is mediocre then guess what, it is.

Oct 25, 2017
10 point is a million times preferable to 100 point. The latter is just ridiculous.

Now makes bad games 2s and not 6s.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Think this is a good thing, feel above 10 points it gets hard to justify the differences.

Also surprised at the amount of people in this thread who seemingly have no idea what "Mediocre" means yet feel the need to criticise the use of it...

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
5 and 6 are failing grades in university. it's no wonder those are considered bad games. 7 and up is when you get to passing grades.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they do this before and their writers absolutely hated it, resulting in them reverting?

EDIT: Yeah, they mention it in the article. I give this about the same amount of time or less.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They did this before and then went back to the old system again, they need to make up their mind

Oct 26, 2017
I think they could've kept .5 increments as part of the scale but, yeah, this is for the best. Scores like 7.1 never made much sense to me

Oct 25, 2017
5 and 6 are failing grades in university. it's no wonder those are considered bad games. 7 and up is when you get to passing grades.
School work is graded on the % completion, % you got correct, and even when it doesn't fall into those two categories, it's % of boxes checked on a rubric. Assessing art has nothing to do with any of that, so it's really not comparable at all.

Deleted member 59562

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
will they fix the ridiculous 'grading on a curve for low achieving high schoolers' thing they have going on, where 7 is a functioning piece of software

this shit was in the pilot episode of the critic
'your job is to review movies on a scale from good to excellent'
'what if i don't like the movie?'
'that's what good is for'

cheerleading industrial writing for sycophants.
the only thing to praise will be the site's bankruptcy

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
School work is graded on the % completion, % you got correct, and even when it doesn't fall into those two categories, it's % of boxes checked on a rubric. Assessing art has nothing to do with any of that, so it's really not comparable at all.
This is true, but a lot of people still equate the school grading scale with how all things are graded/reviewed all the same. Add in how reviews have been consistently reinforcing that thought process for years (with nearly always giving out 6-10s) and well... here we are.