• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Worried? No. Their business is fine. But I guarantee that they're watching Xbox's success on the PC market and are looking at how to capitalize on that market without alienating their current base.
Their current base shouldn't feel "alienated" just because the games are coming to PC. Holding back day one PC release because fans would be upset? That's some entitlement from the "fans"

If anything Sony should put more day and date on PC with this thing out there.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Why do we continue to focus on worry? I think it can be a success without hurting the others.

Yep. And there is nothing to worry about even if PlayStation would produce some Billion or two less revenue for its share holders. It would just end up changing them to be little innovative, better and inviting for consumers.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why Playstation would be worried? What does Steam Deck do for Xbox that it doesn't do for Playstation? Can someone who watched the video explain the point, or list the time stamp where they explain it?
Doesn't the Steam Deck run SteamOS specifically? Don't games need to be ported to SteamOS to run on it? Like just because Halo is ON Steam doesn't mean it's automatically got a SteamOS version, right?

I haven't had a working gaming PC in two years so I'm kinda behind, but I thought SteamOS is a Linux variant and thus Windows games don't natively run on it unless ported over.
Games do not need to be ported to SteamOS, SteamOS includes "Proton", which is a compatibility layer for running Windows games in Linux (not emulation, it converts Windows API calls like DirectX to Linux equivalents and runs the rest natively). Works with most games.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Will halo infinite even be playable on this considering it's targeting series S which is double the deck?

Halo Infinite is releasing on Xbox One.

Doesn't the Steam Deck run SteamOS specifically? Don't games need to be ported to SteamOS to run on it? Like just because Halo is ON Steam doesn't mean it's automatically got a SteamOS version, right?

I haven't had a working gaming PC in two years so I'm kinda behind, but I thought SteamOS is a Linux variant and thus Windows games don't natively run on it unless ported over.

Proton is a compatibility layer for Windows games on Linux. Most games work with the major caveat that multiplayer games incorporating certain anticheat programs don't. But Valve is working with those companies with the aim of compatibility at launch.

But you can also just install Windows on it anyways.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It has probably been made because of the influence of the Switch (and mobile gaming) on Valve business, with indies but also all the competition on cash-grab gaming against DOTA or CSGO. But to say a 1.x TF SoC with 2 CUs and 64Gb of eMMC storage is a threat for Sony is mistaking what makes their position unique as a publisher : to not have to deal with a decade years old level of performances.

SaN1ty24

Nov 15, 2017
tenor.gif

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
If Halo Infinite uses Easy Anti-cheat like Halo MCC and Gears 5 do, you can't play it on Steam Deck without installing Windows on it. If a casual player ends up buying a Steam Deck, they won't be doing that.

Sounds like they're working on that and will be solved ahead of launch (see at 5:45):

Last edited:

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Clickbait title aside, there are some a nice observations in that video.
Then again, PS is starting to enter the pc ecosystem so who knows..maybe they already knew about steam deck and decided to take the initiative by porting some games.
Playing uncharted 4 during lunch breaks in the office would be neat.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Well since this handheld Is technically a PC, you can play their PC ports, Install Remote play or do the PS NOw Streaming they have on PC. So no I dont think they should worry. This is pretty much a handheld PC. Lol.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Their current base shouldn't feel "alienated" just because the games are coming to PC. Holding back day one PC release because fans would be upset? That's some entitlement from the "fans"

If anything Sony should put more day and date on PC with this thing out there.

I'm pretty sure what he means is less about upsetting fans and more about ways to capitalize on the market while still making sure they do everything to get people to buy their hardware first and foremost, which excludes day one PC ports of major titles

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Im... not really sure how the Deck would negatively impact Sony unique to anyone else. They have Steam ports to put on there too. Hell Nixxes could even add official Deck support to future PC ports since they already work on PS4

I just thought about this, Valve put out a PSNow capable portable device before Sony did. I'm sick.

Vita had PS Now for awhile

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
Im... not really sure how the Deck would negatively impact Sony unique to anyone else. They have Steam ports to put on there too. Hell Nixxes could even add official Deck support to future PC ports since they already work on PS4

Vita had PS Now for awhile

Does it? I thought it just did remote play.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Why?

You can also use playstation now on it or ps remote play if you install windows or whatever.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Here we go again. Imagine making this about Sony, and not Nintendo - given it's most similar to their device.

FWIW, Nintendo shouldn't be worried at all about Steam Deck.

Nintendo doesnt have to worry about anything because they sell games, which happen to need a system. They are their own ecosystem and everyone could make a handheld and their numbers wouldnt budge an inch.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MS should be more worried about Steam launching a Gamepass equivalent to be accessed on PC and the Deck tbh, specially now with Netflix intending to enter the fray after Amazon, Apple and Google.

All of this just makes me wonder if Sony, on their end, would perhaps contemplate returning to mobile with a "mini" 720p PS5 that would access the same library and PS Now.
At the very least, this machine can clearly play full blown PS4 games it seems.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go again. Imagine making this about Sony, and not Nintendo - given it's most similar to their device.

FWIW, Nintendo shouldn't be worried at all about Steam Deck.
To be fair, they spent most of Nintendo Voice Chat this week going over their thoughts on this.

It's a PC. You can run Windows on it and any other launcher.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
So many "Is Sony doomed?" articles from US centric sites lately, what gives?
It riles up Playstation Fans and drives clicks.

We see these negative, "gotcha" concern articles about all the platform holders since they likely do better numbers than positive/affirmative ones

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesnt have to worry about anything because they sell games, which happen to need a system. They are their own ecosystem and everyone could make a handheld and their numbers wouldnt budge an inch.
I agree, they have system sellers just like PS5 has. It's just astonishing that this is the first place IGN goes to.

Concern.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nope. Sony will happily sell you a copy of Days Gone or Horizon Zero Dawn for your Steam Deck, though.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering how long is was going to take to get these types of articles out. Longer than I expected

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

The Deck runs SteamOS which is Linux based yes. But games will not *have* to be ported because Valve spent the last several years building Proton (a Windows compatibility layer based on Wine) and supporting the Vulkan API on Linux. They're at a point where DX11->Vulkan translation is generally faster than the first native Linux games which used an OpenGL render path. Valve's developer guidelines for Deck are kind of interesting:

We recommend targeting Vulkan as your primary graphics API for best performance and battery life. If you use an engine like Unity or Unreal, enable Vulkan in your build for all users, and report any performance of functional differences from the DirectX version to your engine vendor. If your Vulkan build has similar performance as DirectX. Doing this work is not typically worth it if Vulkan would be a secondary path with lower performance, as Proton DirectX translation performance is likely to exceed untranslated Vulkan in this case.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
You can stream Xbox games on existing mobile devices, fail to see how Steam Deck would move the needle significantly more.

IGN has been very console baity lately.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I agree, they have system sellers just like PS5 has. It's just astonishing that this is the first place IGN goes to.

Concern.

it's actually more skewed than that: nintendo wins out even with cell phones in the mix. sony has some sellers, but look at the attach rates of nintendo first party titles. sony is not even in the ballpark, thats how silly popular nintendo is

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah and Xbox should be worried that steam deck players will never embrace the crappy Xbox app on PC. Also Valve should worried about Nintendo switch adding Xcloud. While we are at it, PlayStation should also be worried all these platforms ganging up on it with arsenal of portables. Great video IGN.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
The entire premise here confuses the hell out of me. Of the big 3 to me it seems like Sony would care the least. Nintendo obviously would worry the most given the actual use and function of the device.

But for Microsoft its not as if this comes with windows installed by default. Its a Steam device. That very popular platform on PC that MS isn't making revenue from. That would be more popular if this thing is a success. Valve isn't looking for folks to play Game Pass games on here, they want you to buy and play games from their own store.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform Warring; History of Platform Warring
Sony can do no wrong on these forums. All past mistakes are forgotten. Wonder whatever happened to being able to use an nvme drive and PlayStation 5?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yep. And there is nothing to worry about even if PlayStation would produce some Billion or two less revenue for its share holders. It would just end up changing them to be little innovative, better and inviting for consumers.
Inviting? Revenue will always be the priority.

The entire premise here confuses the hell out of me. Of the big 3 to me it seems like Sony would care the least. Nintendo obviously would worry the most given the actual use and function of the device.

But for Microsoft its not as if this comes with windows installed by default. Its a Steam device. That very popular platform on PC that MS isn't making revenue from. That would be more popular if this thing is a success. Valve isn't looking for folks to play Game Pass games on here, they want you to buy and play games from their own store.
Microsoft has games on Steam already, more than Sony and Nintendo. Some also sell quite well too. Will they no longer be playable?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Wow, within 24 hours Gabe has singlehandedly toppled both Nintendo and Sony 🥵

Edit: ok on the real: this thing is the perfect complementary device to my PS5. Assuming it's as powerful as people say, I would absolutely invest in this to get access to all the Xbox RPGs coming in the next few years, alongside all the cool indies Steam gets.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This thing won't be some phenomenon that sells tens of millions. And more importantly, most people are NOT going install Windows on it; they will be content with SteamOS.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I dont think 'worried' is the term I'd use, but I think they absolutely will be seeing it as rival platform that benefits MS more than them, wheras MS will see it as partner platform and another place to sell gamepass.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Yes. Sony should be worried about this. Like they should be worried about Gamepass. And Nintendo. /s

In the real world they keep breaking all sorts of records and having the biggest revenue numbers every quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.