• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Used to be a big fan of IGN. Where do they get these guys. Cmon man. Is this a tight deadline thing for their reviewers?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

I saw this on twitter but it seems pretty clear

That's... not very clear that it's new content.

I'm reminded of the Nier Automata fiasco.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sorry guys, but what's happening here? Like, the game is not supposed to have A and B game but two different scenarios, yet OP says the reviewer played the A scenario twice. What am I missing?

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why anyone even cares what those fools say. They're as irrelevant as gamespot these days.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
A company as large as them I'm sure they could have found at least one more competent individual to review this game.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly they rushed the review out. Is it that important for them to get the review out as soon as embargo is lifted? They're IGN. Not some random YTber needing to get review out fast to get clicks.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't hear of other review sites fucking up as frequently as IGN. Borderlands VR, Prey, plagarism, "too much water," and of course, motherfucking GOD HAND, just off the top of my head.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious situation has emerged here. The IGN review for RE2 gave the game an 8.8 and included a bizarre section where the reviewer claimed that two scenarios for the game consisted of the same content, puzzles, enemies, and narrative, just with different playable characters. This is of course wildly inaccurate, and betrays the fact that the reviewer clearly didn't play an entire half of the game. They just played the A scenario twice, once with each protagonist. The review was later updated to cross out that section, and then updated again to delete the section altogether, change the score to 9.0, and add this note:

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I can see how that would be confusing to be honest, but it's still dumb he didn't like, try the option out.
Yeah, it doesn't seem exactly intuitive, and the text at the bottom is kind missable. Still ridiculously stupid mistake for a professional reviewer though.

there's also a message that explains it further when you complete the first playthrough.
Ah that's bad then.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IGN should just issue a permanent apology

Even if its unclear a reviewer should try every option in game

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"We're getting death threats from unhinged nutters so we're arbitrarily bumping the score to a 9 to appease them."

I'm sure the game is worthy of that score based on the other impressions I've read, but IGN's rapid about face here is pretty sketchy. There's no (well, less) shame in withdrawing a review for a few days to play through the "missing" content for a more thorough evaluation.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry guys, but what's happening here? Like, the game is not supposed to have A and B game, but two different scenarios, but OP says the reviewer played the A scenario twice. What am I missing?

In the original Resident Evil 2, Leon and Claire went through different paths and played a different game from each other, sort of like Jill and chris in RE1, or to make a genre switch comparison, Sonic and Knuckles in Sonic 3. Or like the difference between the first quest and the second quest in Zelda. They go through a lot of the same places, but the actual content of the game is different and remixed. They also fill in parts of the story, the story doesn't make full sense until you played both halves.

I haven't played the new one, but it sounds like after beating the game you can play as either character in either scenario. So what was originally Leon's game, can now be played with Claire, and vice versa. But there is also an actual second scenario, that originally played with Claire, that he missed.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
it's almost like it's the reviewers job to know the main points of a game, like how hard was it to miss that?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This made me go back and read their Automata review to see if they actually played through to [E]nding.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Hilarious situation has emerged here. The IGN review for RE2 gave the game an 8.8 and included a bizarre section where the reviewer claimed that two scenarios for the game consisted of the same content, puzzles, enemies, and narrative, just with different playable characters. This is of course wildly inaccurate, and betrays the fact that the reviewer clearly didn't play an entire half of the game. They just played the A scenario twice, once with each protagonist. The review was later updated to cross out that section, and then updated again to delete the section altogether, change the score to 9.0, and add this note:
Don't you start this shit again. :)

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest.... I did the same thing when I played the original version of the game.
I played Leon A scenario and then played Claire A scenario.
Boy was I surprised when I then played Leon B scenario and started on the other side of the crash.

I will say I'm a bit confused. This is the first I've heard of there being different Leon/Claire scenarios.
I thought there was only one for each character this time.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

I saw this on twitter but it seems pretty clear
I honestly may be a bit confused by this, but I think I would have figured it out.

I mean I don't know how clear it can get.
Also the I would consider reviews of Nier Automata who only played the first ending to be terrible as well.
"2nd run" is not clear that it is new content. And it's possible to miss the text at the bottom, my eye certainly didn't go there.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
This is so embarrasing. Why does this stuff always happen with IGN?

But at least half the game that wasnt played is worth 0.2. Doubt he even played it with how fast it was updated.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest.... I did the same thing when I played the original version of the game.
I played Leon A scenario and then played Claire A scenario.
Boy was I surprised when I then played Leon B scenario and started on the other side of the crash.

I will say I'm a bit confused. This is the first I've heard of there being different Leon/Claire scenarios.
I thought there was only one for each character this time.

Yeah, I did the same thing.

This instance is a bit more clearer than the OG, but I can see how someone could still make the mistake.