• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Lol
I watched the IGN gameplay first and the Gamespot gameplay after it of the same desert section. It was hilarious, the IGN editor was running around aimlessly shooting at enemies with a shotgun from a long distance, wasting all his ammo, not even trying to look for more, kept trying to shoot with guns that had no ammo.
Meanwhile the Gamespot gameplay had the player scavenging for ammo, not trying to waste ammo and all around knew what he/she was doing.

these sites are not gaming sites anymore. They are media outlets with influencers who can talk fluently about what's trending,but have no clue on the actual product they are doing "journalist work"

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't spell ignorance without IGN.

The Ace Combat 7 fiasco and now this in quick succession is a very very bad look.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
That's something I guess. But that's still somewhat vague ? You could assume the only differences are character based (different lines or w/e)
A game reviewer should not be writing a review based on assumptions they have made about things they haven't played.

If they are going to do that, then they at least need to acknowledge it in the review. But that would make the review sound less credible (because it would be), so I imagine most wouldn't bother.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
IGN just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about game reviews (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Youtube where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over with the review you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase RE2 for either system, nor will they read any of IGN's reviews. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but IGN has alienated an entire market with this move.

IGN, publicly apologize and rewrite the entire RE2 review or you can kiss your business goodbye.
I couldn't help but read this in the voice of videogamedunkey and I can't stop laughing now.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
that would be one thing if the guy who did the review didnt start blocking people who called him out on it
someone's seriously gonna have to explain what the big deal with blocking people on twitter is, 'cause i really don't get it. if i were receiving hundreds - heck, even tens - of very similar corrections, mixed in with random abuse, i'd just start blocking people too. that's what it's there for.

Comparing a 6 hour game to a 100 hour game doesn't seem apt..
the principle's exactly the same--if a game has multiple endings, i don't expect a reviewer to go out of their way to see all of them. i just found this specific line:

the screen after beating the game says the ending is different. The ending! You're a reviewer, are you just gonna ignore that?

really confusing in the context of, well, so many games having multiple endings. it's totally normal not to go looking for alternate endings once you've seen one--if, having finished a game, i go back to do a second playthrough looking for an alternative ending, it's normally years later.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm sure you would take the time to politely respond to a legion of Angry Gamers inundating you with messages.

maybe just do a general post and let people know the situation and that you owned up to it as opposed to running away and waiting for the company to just remove the review itself

That just makes you look like a coward who cant handle criticism

Oct 2, 2018
Who are these plebe reviewers? LOL. Also, the weighting seems to be completely nonsense if its indeed a .2 improvement on the score?

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
That's something I guess. But that's still somewhat vague ? You could assume the only differences are character based (different lines or w/e)
It literally says you get a different ending. I don't think this is vague at all, I don't have a major issue with the reviewer making this mistake as anyone can make mistakes but saying it isn't clear is disingenuous. They make it very clear, the only thing that might have been better is if they recommended you play the 2nd run through, which I believe Nier: Automata does when you finish that.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
i mean, i don't expect everyone who reviews a jrpg to do a true ending run, nor did i expect reviewers to go through, say, the witcher 3 at least three times to see all three main endings so... yeah, i guess i would ignore that?
Yeah, except that

1. You can't compare a 50+ hour RPG with a game with two 4-6 hour campaigns

2. The reviewer ended up playing through the game twice anyway, he just picked the wrong option from the menu and

3. If you're writing a review for the biggest gaming site in the world, and you unlock a new mode in the game you're reviewing, YOU FUCKING TRY IT.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the real condemnation of modern video game reviewing practices is the fact that the guy made a massive mistake about the length and repetition of the game and still gave it an 8.8 score. The four-point scale is real.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It literally says you get a different ending. I don't think this is vague at all, I don't have a major issue with the reviewer making this mistake as anyone can make mistakes but saying it isn't clear is disingenuous. They make it very clear, the only thing that might have been better is if they recommended you play the 2nd run through, which I believe Nier: Automata does when you finish that.
Yeah the different ending is clear, but if that was all it's hard to call it extra content besides that ending.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Did any reviewers beat NieR: Automata at Ending A and thought that was the end? Just curious.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
When you complete the first run of the game with the first character the options should change to something like...

New Game [Continue Scenario A]
New Game [Scenario B]

Scenario refers to which side of the car the characters exit, right? See... this is confusing, but doesn't excuse IGN for not fully playtesting the game.
I believe what probably happened was:
"Well, I finished the game, let's quickly see how the game is with Claire" and he pressed the button without much reading

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Are you blind? Read the thread.

Calling me a White knight? Still trying to defend this shit behavior?

You're a gamergater aren't you?

I stand for my replies I don't represent the thread or any other user.

I see where this is going so I'll ask for moderation and leave. Go on.

People complain about mob mentality in here and are the first ones to exert it, last time I get on an argument in this kind of issue here. I'll take my L and leave, you won.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If i didnt frequent this forum i wouldnt have known.

I would have played leon then Claire ad be done with it. It saying "2nd Run" just seems like replaying the game again.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man...I gotta say, as someone who used to be a big fan of IGN (especially when NVC was just Jose, Brian and Peer, and Beyond was still Greg and Colin), their output is just piss poor lately - and I really think it has a lot to do with their hiring practices (you know, hiring "personalities" over "gamers/writers").

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you blind? Read the thread.

Calling me a White knight? Still trying to defend this shit behavior?

You're a gamergater aren't you?
You calling someone a gamergater because you don't agree with them is a shit thing to do. The reviewer doesn't deserve to be harassed but it is a pretty big mistake that seems like he wasn't paying attention. It doesn't seem like an easy mistake to make.

The guy who got blocked in the OP was not disrespectful at all, just pointed out that it was a mistake. It's childish behavior by the reviewer, and he doubled down on it in his "apology"
Also this to.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, except that

1. You can't compare a 50+ hour RPG with a game with 2 4-6 hour campaigns

2. The reviewer ended up playing through the game twice anyway, he just picked the wrong option from the menu and

3. If you're writing a review for the biggest gaming site in the world, and you unlock a new mode in the game you're reviewing, YOU FUCKING TRY IT.

1. i just did :) more seriously, i was responding to the idea that a prompt saying 'you could unlock a new ending' is something it'd be weird for a reviewer to ignore. i disagree, because, well, a whole bunch of games have multiple endings that you can unlock in esoteric ways--i don't expect reviewers to search for all of them.

2. yeh it's a bad menu

3. nah, i've unlocked a bunch of new game plus modes and never touched the option, and i still consider myself to have finished those games. i don't expect more from reviewers, 'cause that'd be weird.

The guy who got blocked in the OP was not disrespectful at all, just pointed out that it was a mistake. It's childish behavior by the reviewer, and he doubled down on it in his "apology"

when you're getting hundreds of corrections, mixed in with abuse, you just jam that block button on the lot. folks aren't obligated to carefully consider every message they get on twitter before deciding to block someone--sometimes, the volume's just too great, and really, what's the point anyway?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Man...I gotta say, as someone who used to be a big fan of IGN (especially when NVC was just Jose, Brian and Peer, and Beyond was still Greg and Colin), their output is just piss poor lately - and I really think it has a lot to do with their hiring practices (you know, hiring "personalities" over "gamers/writers").

Except Daemon has been on the staff for many, many years. And absolutely loves all things horror. So I believe this was just an honest mistake.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
If i didnt frequent this forum i wouldnt have known.

I would have played leon then Claire ad be done with it. It saying "2nd Run" just seems like replaying the game again.
What about the pop up and that is calls the 2nd run the "second scenario" on the title screen? Would you still just assume that it's a replay after seeing those?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except Daemon has been on the staff for many, many years. And absolutely loves all things horror. So I believe this was just an honest mistake.
Oh shit, I didn't even realize it was Daemon (I had a quick look at the OP and thought he had just commented on the growing story).

Fair play, then - yeah, probably an honest mistake.

But I stand by my statement, to be honest. Their content has been getting worse and worse and it's kind of sad to see.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is confusing. How many scenarios are there? 4? Leon/Claire A and Leon/Claire B? Isn't that different from the original. Capcom bears responsibly for the design. Why is it so unclear?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
this ain't his first rodeo

tweet-1.jpg

Hahaha, I remember this!

MattyB_84

Jan 3, 2019
I think they should have just taken out the paragraph with the mistake and left the score as it was. Adding 0.2 to the score seems like a thing they decided to do to make people less mad, but in reality, it calls more things into question regarding the review.

tldr: I'm not a fan of numbers

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
OK, but how are people supposed to know the difference between A and B? If a reviewer could make this mistake, it means a lot of regular folk could as well.

While I would say we give him the benefit of the doubt, it's been known since the original game since 1998 that there is a side A, Side B playthrough. It's also been known out in public for the remake as well.

It's one thing if it was a really young editor or reviewer over at IGN one that never remembered the original game. But it's Daemon? Guy has been around for a long time.

It shows a lack of understanding the product your reviewing. It's like if there was a new Ipod and some 20 something kid reviews it for Endgadget, and reviewed it like it was this super new thing. Not referencing the IPOD's history since 2002-2003.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What about the pop up and that is calls the 2nd run the "second scenario" on the title screen? Would you still just assume that it's a replay after seeing those?

Theres a screenshot earlier in the thread and it says "2nd Run"

How would i know its some new story?

Doenst matter now anyway. But i think people are overreacting to this.

mr teaspoon

Banned
Feb 22, 2018
maybe just do a general post and let people know the situation and that you owned up to it as opposed to running away and waiting for the company to just remove the review itself

That just makes you look like a coward who cant handle criticism

Want to know what using language like "coward" in the context of a games writer blocking someone on Twitter makes you look like?

Christ, this thread is embarrassing. Am I back on GAF?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
While I would say we give him the benefit of the doubt, it's been known since the original game since 1998 that there is a side A, Side B playthrough. It's also been known out in public for the remake as well.

It's one thing if it was a really young editor or reviewer over at IGN one that never remembered the original game. But it's Daemon? Guy has been around for a long time.

It shows a lack of understanding the product your reviewing. It's like if there was a new Ipod and some 20 something kid reviews it for Endgadget, and reviewed it like it was this super new thing. Not referencing the IPOD's history since 2002-2003.

Like he could've literally clicked on the mode and see how it went. I thought reviewers should be checking all modes and options to see what's available anyway.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Like he could've literally clicked on the mode and see how it went. I thought reviewers should be checking all modes and options to see what's available anyway.

I don't know what's going on over there at IGN, but it seems they are at this burnout stage. I know Daemon does a lot over there, i wonder if this was overlooked because people are overworked, and game playing is secondary?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When you complete the A scenario there is an option called New Game (2nd Run) under the default New Game. I don't think this an easy thing to miss. Why the reviewer didn't even start that to see what it was I do not understand.
Me as someone with zero clarity and having not played the game, 'new game second run' sounds like a new game plus after beating the game on regular mode.

It's not 100% clear if you put me on the spot with no knowledge let's not pretend it's the clearest thing ever lol. He still fucked up of course, I'm not saying he didn't. As a reviewer he should have clicked that to see in theory what it is since he's reviewing the whole game.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I know game reviewers tend to be super swamped, so from that perspective I can see how a mistake would happen. Though I am a bit surprised he didn't know about the A/B scenarios. I never played RE2 as a kid and knew about them.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Thats fair enough but does it come up on the screen telling you specifically that a new scenario?

All i have have seen is the main title saying 2nds run.

Genuine question if you have finished it.
This pops up when you finish the game the first time:
z02rW3j.jpg

So yes, it does tell you. You would have to both ignore this screen and the description in the main menu to miss it. Something that none of the other reviewers of the game missed.