• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

I saw this on twitter but it seems pretty clear
Just the option "2nd run" sounds like a second run with the same character, like Dark souls +7

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
For fucks sake, when you finish the game, it tells you second run is different. YOU HAVE A MESSAGE!

Don't bring your common sense in here, people are busy on defense duty. Don't distract them or they might get confused. Plus sometimes they don't read and just hit X.

I don't know what's more tiring... "Game journalists" that keep doing this shit, or the people that always come defending them.

The latter for sure. Crazy how they are missing the point entirely.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
That sounds really confusing. I can't fault the reviewer. Capcom should have done a better job with this.

Like many others have already said, the game literally tells you what it means when you beat the game, it pops up and tells you that the 2nd run is a different experience.

So wait, you play 2 campaings and then you play again? How different is this "again"? :P

This is why the IGN review in the first place is so embarrassing and misleading, no you play two separate scenarios to get the whole story. It's very different, as I said a moment ago:
different playable characters (Leon/Ada then Claire/Sherry) completely different weapon set, different enemy encounters/bosses, locations exclusive to one character, different cutscenes, different endings. Just like the 20 year old original you play through the other characters perspective, which is quite different from whichever campaign you start with.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Correct me if I'm wrong but Daemon doesn't have a track record of making these kinds of mistakes, does he? He's been with the company for a very long time. It seems like an honest mistake and the Twitter blockings are probably the result of him getting bombarded by hundreds of whining/nasty tweets.

Unfortunately he falls under the IGN umbrella, associated with the recently copied Dead Cells review, which only emphasises the mistake because "patterns".

He corrected the review and pointed out what happened. Give the guy a break?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This literally couldn't be any clearer.... What is it people don't understand? It says "2nd Run" AND "Second Scenario", and apparently there is a message when you complete the first scenario telling you what to do.
Couldn't be any clearer? Really? New Game vs New Game [2nd Run]. That is confusing as hell! Or should it be Continue? Maybe it should be Continue since the game is not over. New game entails a NEW GAME. But it's not a new game, is it? It's a continuation of the story from a second character's POV. So it should be Continue, right?

Capcom owns some of the fault here, no doubt. That screen shot boggles my mind.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't be any clearer? Really? New Game vs New Game [2nd Run]. That is confusing as hell! Or should it be Continue? Maybe it should be Continue since the game is not over. New game entails a NEW GAME. But it's not a new game, is it? It's a continuation of the story from a second character's POV. So it should be Continue, right?

Capcom owns some of the fault here, no doubt. That screen shot boggles my mind.

How does it boggle your mind? Seriously.

NEW GAME

NEW GAME (2nd RUN)

if you are confused between the two...

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How does it boggle your mind? Seriously.

NEW GAME

NEW GAME (2nd RUN)

if you are confused between the two...
Second run as in let me run through the game again? As in the same game? Yeah, that's confusing. It's not a new game. It's a continuation.

Why should't it be CONTINUE? I'm continuing the story, right?

And to add to that, does NEW GAME let you play through the same scenario with the second character? If so that only adds to the confusion. Why is that even an option?

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shit like this is why I've also fallen of the Giant Bomb bandwagon for example. Most 'journalists' have fuck all knowledge when it comes to games and their understanding of individual titles is only skindeep at best.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Second run as in let me run through the game again? As in the same game? Yeah, that's confusing. It's not a new game. It's a continuation.

You're being pretty dense here, scroll up and look at Nibel's post, the game CLEARLY explains to you what the 2nd run is when you complete the game. No it's not "continuing" the story if you go back to the beginning and start to see it from another characters perspective. It's the second scenario, as it has been for 20 years.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017

I mean.,..no?

Maybe we just differ but its a seperate option to New Game so I'd assume its something different. That's not including the fact the game pops up a screen where you have to press a button to continue, telling you what mode you've unlocked and what it does differently. Or the fact that there is the description at the bottom stating what it is...

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I'm guessing Daemon didn't read the pop up at the end of the game that explained it clearly, he certainly never unlocked the additional 2 bonus campaigns of Hunk/Tofu either which you would hope a reviewer would factor into their review.
i generally wouldn't expect a reviewer to complete a game four times for the sake of their review. like, i never go into a review expecting them to have done new game+, or all the bonus content, or whatever else.

I mean.,..no?

Maybe we just differ but its a seperate option to New Game so I'd assume its something different. That's not including the fact the game pops up a screen where you have to press a button to continue, telling you what mode you've unlocked and what it does differently. Or the fact that there is the description at the bottom stating what it is...

to me - someone who never played original RE2 - it just looks like a new game+ option, which generally are separate from the standard new game. the text down the bottom helps clarify, but... well, frankly, that's pretty poor menu design, and i could easily see myself overlooking it. the screen from the end of the campaign is similar--i'd come away from that thinking it was something like a 'true ending' bonus mode, rather than literally the second half of the game.

meanwhile i didn't really find nier: automata confusing at all for whatever reason.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How did this even happen?

This screen appears when you play through the game:

Next, your main menu looks like this:

Look at the bottom text

lujHicF.png

I'm sorry, but how does this indicate anything else than the second scenario? This does neither mean 'New Game Plus' nor anything else - it straight up tells you what it is.
Eh, maybe he just wasn't paying attention? Could be he was being pressed to meet a deadline for the review or something, or maybe he switched platforms after playing the scenario once. I honestly don't see this being anything other than an innocent mistake.

Sep 12, 2018
Shit like this is why I've also fallen of the Giant Bomb bandwagon for example. Most 'journalists' have fuck all knowledge when it comes to games and their understanding of individual titles is only skindeep at best.
I'm not sure how Giant Bomb fits into this, they rarely review games and even then they've never really had controversies in this regard. Even their quick looks have a more "people hanging out and playing games" vibe.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
i generally wouldn't expect a reviewer to complete a game four times for the sake of their review. like, i never go into a review expecting them to have done new game+, or all the bonus content, or whatever else.
Lmao where are all you getting this beat the game four times shit? I must be getting trolled by this point. It's one thing to not complete the bonus content sure, it's another to not even know about it when it's your job to educate people on the value proposition of the game.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're being pretty dense here, scroll up and look at Nibel's post, the game CLEARLY explains to you what the 2nd run is when you complete the game. No it's not "continuing" the story if you go back to the beginning and start to see it from another characters perspective. It's the second scenario, as it has been for 20 years.
I mean.,..no?

It's so confusing that Capcom had to put a message after you beat the game that explains it. That says A LOT! But what if you just press the okay button without reading it? You're trying to get through the credits, this box pops up as you continue to press a button. So you miss it. Then you have to read the footnote at the bottom of the screen to understand what you're doing? LOL, what a mess!

Maybe Capcom can update the game to be more clear?

Oct 25, 2017
Given the pics, it's such a strange mistake given that it's one of the things RE2 is so well known for. RE3 didn't have multiple characters, and RE1's focus on multiple characters wasn't as prominent, especially since you couldn't really get the full story in RE2 without doing both playthroughs.

Fucking bizzare. The 0.2 score bump, presumably without playing the second scenario too.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I do think this is confusing. So I play a new game with Leon, to play the alternative Claire storyline do I choose New Game and select Claire, or New Game [2nd Run] and select Claire?
Right. Like why can you even choose Claire in Leon's story? That makes no sense. Claire didn't do that stuff. Leon did. Capcom adding to the confusion for what purpose?

Given the pics, it's such a strange mistake given that it's one of the things RE2 is so well known for. RE3 didn't have multiple characters, and RE1's focus on multiple characters wasn't as prominent, especially since you couldn't really get the full story in RE2 without doing both playthroughs.

Fucking bizzare. The 0.2 score bump, presumably without playing the second scenario too.
Something RE2 is well known for....A game that originally released 20 years ago. Are people supposed to catalog every game for decades to understand how to play a remake? That's asking way too much.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It's so confusing that Capcom had to put a message after you beat the game that explains it. That says A LOT! But what if you just press the okay button without reading it? You're trying to get through the credits, this box pops up as you continue to press a button. So you miss it. Then you have to read the footnote at the bottom of the screen to understand what you're doing? LOL, what a mess!

Perhaps they should patch RE2 1998 while they're at it? It's not confusing if you're paying attention, and if you're not paying attention, that's completely on you.

Right. Like why can you even choose Claire in Leon's story? That makes no sense. Claire didn't do that stuff. Leon did. Capcom adding to the confusion for what purpose?

Welcome to 1998.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
lol I totally see why it could confuse someone but at the same time as a reviewer I don't think it's so black and white that it can be served as an excuse.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, maybe he just wasn't paying attention? Could be he was being pressed to meet a deadline for the review or something, or maybe he switched platforms after playing the scenario once. I honestly don't see this being anything other than an innocent mistake.

Ok cool, but thats why he had to re write the review and rescore the game. Its was sloppy, and we should expect a representative of a company like IGN to do better.

I also wouldnt be as mad if he actually went back and checked it out after he was tweeted the error instead of blocking the person. Simple mistake or no, this guy is an idiot

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao where are all you getting this beat the game four times shit? I must be getting trolled by this point. It's one thing to not complete the bonus content sure, it's another to not even know about it when it's your job to educate people on the value proposition of the game.
i've read multiple people in this thread saying you have to complete it four times to get the hunk/tofu stuff? like, running through each campaign twice, once as jill, and once as leon.

oh, and honestly, i don't look at reviews in that way, generally--even 'value proposition' is inherently subjective to a significant extent. in any case, my main take away from this thread so far has been... maybe the re2 remake is weirdly structured and has bad menu design? like, if the game doesn't make where to find its bonus content clear, that's a problem with the game - a problem that people'll react to in different ways, depending on whether they enjoy that style of design; some might actually feel it enhances the experience, and that's valid too - and it's not the job of a reviewer to also write a game guide.

(in any case, don't worry, i wouldn't have played it anyways--i don't really get along with horror games.)

Last edited:

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Ok actually seeing that menu sinks the whole "it looks like new game +" argument.

The words "second scenario" do not imply a new game plus, no matter how you try to spin it. Throw in the message you get that Nibel posted and yeah, if you missed this then that is entirely on you.

Oct 25, 2017

Why would they not put it after you beat the game...? The second scenario unlocks after you beat it, the information is most timely then.

And asking reviewers to read one or two sentences is a bad thing? Like... what? This criticism is hollow in the age of the internet. It takes all of minute to Google and get your response to something even if you skip by it. If the reviewer sees two options, one labeled something different, skips the text and assumes against the game something the game explained for purposes of the review, that's on the reviewer.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

"The game doesn't tell you, except for the parts that tell you." Look, I'm pretty sure the reviewer's an idiot.

Filip Miucin would never have made this mistake.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I can understand that but I don't think its a mess? Like...at all? If I didn't know about the A/B thing already, I tend to assume the same thing would be New Game - an option I would've already selected at this point -or New Game+ (I think its called Journey # in Souls). I'm assuming Capcom put that notice at the end of the game because well its a pretty typical thing for games to do, you summarize what the player has unlocked. They probably respect the intelligence of the player to pay attention but then have the description at the bottom of the screen (what do you mean what a mess? It's...their UI design)incase people missed it for whatever reason.

Maybe they could've been more literal in the naming convention but then it just seems like they're assuming with the pop up and descriptions they think the player can't work it out

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok cool, but thats why he had to re write the review and rescore the game. Its was sloppy, and we should expect a representative of a company like IGN to do better.

I also wouldnt be as mad if he actually went back and checked it out after he was tweeted the error instead of blocking the person. Simple mistake or no, this guy is an idiot
He certainly acted dumb for blocking someone who pointed out his mistake, but this whole "expectation" thing sounds wack to me. The website is run by humans, I expect them to make mistakes like anyone else could.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
Holy shit IGN how can the reviewer be so dense, it's literally on the main screen "2nd run" for the alternate chapters.

Glad I don't give them clicks anymore, there reviews are for marketing hype only.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Completely different. RE2 came on two discs. One had Leon's story, the other had Claire's. Nice try though.
Actually both disks had two scenarios, Leon A/B and Claire A/B, something that you seem to be confused about here:

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Fwiw, maybe its the screencap but if you could make the text more of a bright white or just something that contrasts and pops out more it could help. Ymmv tho

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You'd think someone reviewing a remake would inform himself about the original
Oh...that's part of reviewing a game now? You have to know all about or have played the original game? Really? And I suppose the reviewer needs to have played RE1 and RE1 remake as well as RE0 to get a better understanding of the game, right? Ehh he might as well have to play all the RE games to full understand the series. Yeah, that sounds fair.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
How did this even happen?

This screen appears when you play through the game:

Next, your main menu looks like this:

Look at the bottom text

lujHicF.png

I'm sorry, but how does this indicate anything else than the second scenario? This does neither mean 'New Game Plus' nor anything else - it straight up tells you what it is.
Yep its the reviewer fault. Its tell's right before you get the menu screen what 2nd run is .

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Oh...that's part of reviewing a game now? You have to know all about or have played the original game? Really? And I suppose the reviewer needs to have played RE1 and RE1 remake as well as RE0 to get a better understanding of the game, right? Ehh he might as well have to play all the RE games to full understand the series. Yeah, that sounds fair.

Bruh. You cannot be serious. The implication wasn't to play the entire series of even play the original RE2 but if a game is a remake then how are you to judge its value/worth as a remake if you don't at least have a relatively understanding or familiarity of the original and what it meant/was received etc.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alright, let me correct that, you're missing half of the game then. I don't know why you're being so dense, the game is substantially different on your 2nd run. It's not a "remix" it's the other half of the complete game, there's plenty of things you'll never see if you only play half the game.
For what I remember these differences are mostly narratives, except bosses regarding your A choices. Maybe I am wrong about the remake but I don't think there was anything else different regarding monsters or areas between A/B path in the original game.

The other problem is that I don't think Capcom has denied these quotes from the producer :

"We did simplify [the campaign] a bit and make it more elegant by eliminating the A/B distinction and sort of meshing together what happens to the character's A and B scenarios into one story," explained Hirabayashi.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...has-2-campaigns-but-theyre-a-little-different

For that I still haven't understand how choices and puzzles resolving are handled and carry over the story between Leon/Claire and A/B in the remake :D But I will judge by myself in two days : can't wait !