• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So if I got this right, I'll have to finish the game 4 times to see the real ending?

If it's like the original, just two. You can do either Leon A -> Claire B, or Claire A -> Leon B. In the original, either path let you see virtually all of the content with the exception of a few scenario-specific, but still similar, dialogue.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
This week has been a shitshow for IGN. RE2 and AC7 blunders. I'd expect better from one of the biggest and longest standing gaming media companies.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
When you're a designer, you want an interface element to reflect the importance and significance of its function. That's why buttons to delete important things are often big, red, and interrupt the entire screen with a "No, really, this deletes all your stuff and you can't get it back if you go through with this," pop-up.

"Second Run" is ambiguous and does not concretely communicate "This is what you press to play the entire second half of the game." In fact, I'd argue that, if anything, it implies the opposite—that this option gives you largely the same content.

"For my second run of Mass Effect 2, I romanced Garrus instead of Yeoman Chambers."

And saying "Well, that's why they put something about a 'second scenario' on screen," isn't a great counterpoint when you examine how they did it. "Second scenario" is a bit clearer, but that text looks like it's almost specifically designed to be ignored. It's significantly smaller than all the other text, located on the absolute periphery of the screen (move it down a couple pixels and parts of the letters would get cut off), and the contrast between it and the background is relatively low. In terms of information hierarchy, the game is saying "This is the very least important thing I am showing you." I wouldn't blame someone if they never even noticed it was there.

Regardless of whether or not you think a reviewer should be more thorough in exploring all of a game's menu items and options (and I personally do), this is bad UI design. I expect that a lot of average gamers will make this same mistake.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yes, it exists. The differences with the original is that what you do in A doesn't affect in B anymore (like the machine gun, for example).
It sounds like the differences aren't as extreme as in the original, but it does, yes.
Capcom said it didn't after e3, but it turns out it does, but also Second Runs in RE219 seem to... not be quite the same thing as B routes from RE298, which is kind of a downer because instead of expanding on a neat feature from the original it looks like they stripped it down.

I guess I'll take that before simply axing the feature. Does Mr. X only appear in the B scenarios?

Oct 25, 2017
So if I got this right, I'll have to finish the game 4 times to see the real ending?

From what I understand, no. You'll have to do a first run, with whichever character you want and then the 2nd run, which is automatically with whichever character you didn't choose in the first run.

No need to play it 4 times to get the true ending.

And the interface for this fucking sucks guys, sorry, but it does. It's not that clear and I could see where he could make that mistake. I don't like that he blocked people on Twitter when it was pointed out, but some of you are taking it way too far asking for him to be fired. It was a mistake, move on.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I can see that he missed it, it's not made very clear that this is a different run. "2nd" can be interpreted as "repeating the same run".
It's very unfortunate that he did this mistake. But they corrected it and it's fine now.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't have a time to read his review at first, but now I'm reading it and I'm confused by this paragraph.
He misunderstood the part about unlocking so he crossed that out, ok.
But isn't it true that there're a lot of overlapping puzzles? Why he had to cross that out?

zU1Krci.png

And If he didn't beat full story then how can he reach the full ending, which is unlocked by beating both campaigns?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
If he really did a second playthrough as CLAIRE A by mistake then he would have seen the different places like orphanage and characters like sherry no? or is CLAIRE A essentially the same as LEON A?
Been ages since i played the ps1 version....
So does this mean that the only difference to CLAIRE A and CLAIRE B is the route at the start and a new final boss? meaning he still saw most of the game or did he literally play through LEONS campaign twice but with claire instead?
If I understand it correctly there are two paths, A and B, and can be played with either character. So Leon A is pretty much the same as Claire A with the only difference being in the way you meet your sidekick which provide some unique areas. Other than those "meeting points" and obviously gun loadouts there aren't any differences between Claire A and Leon A. The B versions are supposed to be different from A but even those appear to be shuffled versions of A.

From what I understand without playing the original release, Capcom added areas and story points from the original's path B to path A in order to provide a more cohesive experience (and also make the playthroughs longer) and also provide you with the option to play any path with any of the two protagonists. But as a result, path B isn't that unique any more.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've only read the first few pages of the thread and granted I haven't played even the original Resident Evil 2 but I'm satisfied that mistake(s) were made and I think people should just move on. I can see based off of the menu how he made the mistake, though I can also understand that he should've realised it a lot sooner, but as it stands it has been acknowledged and rectified and it's certainly not like the last IGN fiasco so yeah I at least can forget about it.

It does however and unfortunately give further credence to the notion that reviews- even from the biggest sites for the biggest games- are not extensive in their critique and/or coverage, albeit there are conflicting claims here as to how clear Capcom made the inclusion of this missed content and as to how substantial it is but regardless it's disappointing definitely that IGN missed it.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
To be fair, that sounds like a "new game+" to me, not an entirely new campaign.
Definitely. But he's not a casual player. He's a reviewer for one of the largest video game site. I think we expect those reviewers to actualy TRY every options from one of the biggest game of early 2019, no ?
The fact that he didn't even TRIED to see how this "new game +" work tells a lot about the dude's attitude toward his work.
I know they have a shit ton of games to play, but come on. It's, with KH3, the biggest release of Q1 2019. I'm sure it took him only 10 or 12 hours to complete it. He didn't even CLICKED on the fucking "2d run" to see what are the changes.

Nov 18, 2017
lmao

okay, chief. keep fighting the good fight

But serious answer: He's now downplaying the game. Downplaying scenario B, downplaying the ending. And I can't trust that is a genuine assessment of the game compared to the original rather than damage limitation because he fucked up. I think he's handled it all very poorly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I didn't have a time to read his review at first, but now I'm reading it and I'm confused by this paragraph.
But isn't it true that there're a lot of overlapping puzzles? Why he had to cross that out?

And If he didn't beat full story then how can he reach the full ending, which is unlocked by beating both campaigns?
He ostensibly didn't finish the story or reach the final ending or boss, which is part of the issue.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017

zU1Krci.png

Didn't you see his tweet? "It's fine". Lol. I guess that is IGN level analysis though tbf.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
there's really nothing wrong with blocking people on twitter, particularly not when you're likely having the same/similar stuff tweeted at you potentially hundreds of times

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017

zU1Krci.png

I think he has played both paths and has seen the true ending. Based on his original review, I think what happened is that he missed the second path inititally (so he had to go through the same campaign twice, just with two different characters) but eventually played path B as well. So he beat the game 3 times. His annoyance was that he inititally thought you had to play the game 3 times instead of 2 to experience the true ending. Also based on his review, it appears that just swapping between characters and playing the same route (A or B) only changes the playthroughs very slightly while even route B isn't THAT much different.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

zU1Krci.png

faFMK1A.png

This is what that section of the review currently says.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yea "New Game 2nd Run" doesn't sound like new scenario it just sounds like NG+. And it will sound like NG+ to anyone who's not played the original but has played games released in recent years.

I don't know why they even did this when they could just have a character select at the start of the game and take things from there till the end. So if you pick Leon then you automatically switch to Claire after you finish Leon and vice versa. What is even the point of calling it "2nd run"?

Nier does this bullshit as well with calling its middle portion "route B" and the last portion "route C" and you can't even play those out of order in that game and the story is incomplete without playing all 3...so what's the point of inserting a credit sequence mid game?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He's admitted the error but then tries to defend himself by saying they're not that different anyway. And blocking people who pointed it out. His attitude has been unprofessional and immature.

And sure people make mistakes but getting paid to review games for a living is a privilege not a charity - his lack of knowledge and poor conduct are enough to warrant the heat he's getting.

Yeah, he seems to really go into defensive mode about the entire thing. Doubling down on the idea that the scenario B campaign isn't worth playing, despite it increasing the score? And I'm still not convinced he even played scenario B. And the review has zero mention of the unlocked hunk and tofu modes either. It's all a bit embarrassing.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys, how many other reviewers made the same mistake? I mean, when everyone get it right, except you, most likely you are the problem.

Bizarre that one of the most profilic releases of this year seems to be reviewed by someone who had no prior experience on the game. Reviews are suppose to clarify any doubt that reader have, not confuse them even more.

Too many mistakes in a row from IGN to call a mistep. It's incompetence, sorry.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf, it's silly that the menu calls it a "second run" (which implies a do-over) when really it's a second scenario.

Still I'd think a reviewer would do a little digging before assuming that half of the original wasn't remade. Doubling down on the notion that the second scenario isn't that different is just... Ugh...

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he seems to really go into defensive mode about the entire thing. Doubling down on the idea that the scenario B campaign isn't worth playing, despite it increasing the score? And I'm still not convinced he even played scenario B. And the review has zero mention of the unlocked hunk and tofu modes either. It's all a bit embarrassing.

I mean he clearly did not play the Hunk and Tofu modes because he states that he played Leon A, Claire A, and Leon B, and you need to play all four routes to unlock it.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Seems like an honest mistake and Daemon is one of the biggest names there, obviously he's competent at his job.

It's bizarre how people are kicking up such a fuss.
Yea, nothing scream "competent" more than making a honest mistake like this and then banning those who point it out on twitter.

Nov 18, 2017
Telling people there is little difference between the campaigns and not touching on Hunk or Tofu mode is a big deal.

In the original they were sufficiently different. So... what gives?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, nothing scream "competent" more than making a honest mistake like this and then banning those who point it out on twitter.

i still don't see why y'all are so weird about being blocked on twitter.

Telling people there is little difference between the campaigns and not touching on Hunk or Tofu mode is a big deal.

In the original they were sufficiently different. So... what gives?

given how much of the game's repetition seemed to grate on him, "congrats after beating the game four times you get to run through the police department again" probably would have soured his opinion on it.

Nov 18, 2017
given how much of the game's repetition seemed to grate on him, "congrats after beating the game four times you get to run through the police department again" probably would have soured his opinion on it.

It probably seems more repetitive if you play the same campaign twice in a row...

The original has been out for 20 years, it was always like this.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I was only vaguely aware of A & B scenarios, having never played the original to completion.
Not acceptable from a reviewer, but it's not really a very common practice in videogames, either.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It probably seems more repetitive if you play the same campaign twice in a row...

The original also came out in two discs clearly labeled as two different perspective...this one doesn't.
The original also came out 20 years ago...a lot of people even in their late 20s might not have played it.

And oh lets not forget that the developers themselves said they "ditched the A/B scenario" and had two campaigns instead. So I certainly expected "two campaigns" to seem like how RE6 has 4 campaigns and you select them based on the character from the main menu. Not calling your 2nd part of the game "2nd run/route B" helps too. What they should've done is automatically switch perspective after scenario A was over regardless of who you picked at the start.

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

so are you agreeing with him that the campaigns are really similar...?

did they expand on hunk and tofu in this, because in the original those minigames were like, twenty minutes at the absolute worst

That's quite small for a modern AAA game, isn't it?

it's a linear game that takes place in confined, mostly dark locations. see those mountains? they're on a postcard and you can't go there because you're trapped in a police station full of zombie mutants.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the same guy who sneakily edited a review after being caught lying about the content of a game.

Good to know he's learnt his lesson. Quality stuff IGN!

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so you have to play the almost same game 4 times to get to the final boss? if that's true it's a hard pass for me.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
This is the same guy who sneakily edited a review after being caught lying about the content of a game.

Good to know he's learnt his lesson. Quality stuff IGN!
Hey, I think I remember about someone finishing a game on easy and called that there was 0 extras and then the creator of the game sent a message saying that if you complete on normal it would appear
So the reviewer deleted the paragraph