• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Also, IGN have added the editor's note about how the second campaign is unlocked. But has the body of the review changed to reflect that? In the first paragraph the reviews claims

"the two playable characters' stories aren't as different as I'd hoped"

Is this based on the original review where he played the same campaign twice with different characters? Or have they since played scenario B and don't find it that different to scenario A?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as I learned in this thread, the professional standards do not apply to video game reviews and I should be ashamed for thinking that they do.

so who are all these film and literature critics that get fired for making one mistake, surely since you're the one making the argument that that's the standard they're held to you'll be able to cite some instances of it happening

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, as I learned in this thread, the professional standards do not apply to video game reviews and I should be ashamed for thinking that they do.
It's not that you shouldn't have professional standards, it's that you shouldn't be applying standards from other mediums to this one

You can't miss the last chapter of a book or the second half of a movie to clumsy UI design, and it's ridiculous to imply that they should be judged the same way

Also let's not pretend that there aren't professional reviewers who have misinterpreted or misrepresented other mediums in their reviews

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Wow this, the ac7 review, and the BL VR review thing all in the same month. IGN is outdoing themselves. Too bad they're still probably the most popular game review site, even if their reviews seem to be getting worsevas their best staff have moved on to greener pastures

I think that's what's getting forgotten here. People calling for Daemon's firing need to calm the fuck down but there's clearly something that should change over there. After the whole Dead Cells debacle from last year 2019 had the potential to be a clean slate for IGN but they haven't really put their best foot forward so far.

Nov 18, 2017
Also, IGN have added the editor's note about how the second campaign is unlocked. But has the body of the review changed to reflect that? In the first paragraph the reviews claims

"the two playable characters' stories aren't as different as I'd hoped"

Is this based on the original review that played the same.canpaign twice with different characters? Or have they since played scenario B and don't find it that different?

He's admitted the error but then tries to defend himself by saying they're not that different anyway. And blocking people who pointed it out. His attitude has been unprofessional and immature.

And sure people make mistakes but getting paid to review games for a living is a privilege not a charity - his lack of knowledge and poor conduct are enough to warrant the heat he's getting.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
If he really did a second playthrough as CLAIRE A by mistake then he would have seen the different places like orphanage and characters like sherry no? or is CLAIRE A essentially the same as LEON A?
Been ages since i played the ps1 version....
So does this mean that the only difference to CLAIRE A and CLAIRE B is the route at the start and a new final boss? meaning he still saw most of the game or did he literally play through LEONS campaign twice but with claire instead?

Oct 25, 2017
If he really did a second play through as CLAIRE A by mistake then he would have seen the different places like orphanage and characters like sherry no? or is CLAIRE A essentially the same as LEON A?
so does this mean that the only difference to CLAIRE A and CLAIRE B is the route at the start and a new final boss?
Sherry is never with Leon, by the sound of it. It's seems there's a different start, some changed cutscenes, and a different ending. The bosses and general structure are the same, reportedly.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Aww man I really like Daemon, he's been there forever now. Game scoop used to be one of my favourite podcasts back in the day, I didn't realise he reviewed games as well though.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
No doubting this is a major fuckup for a professional reviewer to make, but it looks like RE2 doesn't do itself any favours with unclear messaging.

"New Game (2nd run)" is a not an option I would ever click. I'm not a "New Game+" kinda guy. They really should have come up with a better system to guide you through the "intended" play path, without relying on people having outside knowledge of the original release.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
He's admitted the error but then tries to defend himself by saying they're not that different anyway. And blocking people who pointed it out. His attitude has been unprofessional and immature.

And sure people make mistakes but getting paid to review games for a living is a privilege not a charity - his lack of knowledge and poor conduct are enough to warrant the heat he's getting.
Other than blocking people (which is his prerogative, it's his personal twitter) everything I've seen from him has been fine?

They corrected the review and even increased the score. It absolutely doesn't warrant any """heat""" he is getting

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
If he really did a second playthrough as CLAIRE A by mistake then he would have seen the different places like orphanage and characters like sherry no? or is CLAIRE A essentially the same as LEON A?
So does this mean that the only difference to CLAIRE A and CLAIRE B is the route at the start and a new final boss? meaning he still saw most of the game or did he literally play through LEONS campaign twice but with claire instead?

Claire A is different, with some corridors/areas switched out with Leon's - in the main though, puzzles and exploration will play out in a similar fashion. The Orphanage is unique to Claire's A, but it's not a particularly considerable chunk of the play-time.

Nov 18, 2017

That's what's confusing me. In the original I would say they are pretty different even though they re-use locations and enemies.

I wouldn't trust Daemon at all given he seems butthurt that his mistake got called out. He says he saw, not played, the final ending as 'it was fine'. Sure, Daemon.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have more sympathy for him if he treated the situation with levity instead of blocking people on Twitter. He shouldn't be fired for an honest mistake though, obviously. IGN needs to do a better job of vetting/proofing this shit

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It's still in the YouTube review. I was surprised when I heard him say that because it didn't match what others, like ACG, experienced.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't particularly care what the metascore is for Resident Evil 2, but IGN have been screwing up like this with their reviews the entire generation.
I'd love to know how they can determine that the score should be 0.2 higher now after finding out about the existence of a large portion of the game that they didn't even play - as if their 100-point rating scale wasn't stupid enough.
Something about their review process is broken, and I believe that blame lies with Dan Stapleton - who appears to have been the executive editor for reviews since 2013.

Nov 18, 2017
Based on other reviews and impressions, it sounds like he's right.

Less different than the original? So they don't encounter different NPC's, areas and bosses? Despite reports Irons' role has been expanded, and there are new locations exclusive to each character?

This is kind of an important point to be knowledgeable about if you're reviewing a remake.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
So from what I understand, the second "half" of the game that the reviewer didn't play is the B scenario which is around 2 hours, right? Seems incorrect to call it half of the game.

MaxwellGT2000

Nov 5, 2017
Lmao! Oh IGN never change. I used to call Daemon Hatfield out when I was writing on the regular for a site back in the Wii/PS3/360 era because he would constantly do this, he would either clearly skip sections or shit on games he never played, and it's priceless he is still doing it. I'm not going to say my site was any better either, I was personally better than this, but when I started reading some of the editors reviews I was calling it out behind the scenes... If it's too much to take the time to review multiple games, especially if you have to tackle larger games in short periods, then you need to hand off the game to another reviewer. If you don't have a reviewer with enough time to take it on, you either delay it or hire more reviewers, period. Sorry, I know both of those choices hurt the bottom line for business but you don't compromise the only part of game media that could be called "journalism" anymore, but they don't care because everything is just advertisements for big corporations now.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I am more curious to learn of how the reviewer made this mistake.
Maybe the game didn't explain the fact that you can play the game that way correctly?
This a VERY big mistake.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's what the other character was doing while you were playing the A scenario.

Not strictly speaking. I'm playing Claire's B at the moment and I've just taken on exactly the same boss in exactly the same location as I did with Leon - that particular boss even alters the environment when they appear and that was reset in the B run.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Less different than the original? So they don't encounter different NPC's, areas and bosses? Despite reports Irons' role has been expanded, and there are new locations exclusive to each character?

This is kind of an important point to be knowledgeable about if you're reviewing a remake.

I thought we were talking about the differences between the first and second runs.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It may have been a mistake, But many people only read a review or a post once. They get their opinion and then go post snarky comment on forums like this.
By then going to IGN, reading that review, hearing it was very very similar if not the same will put people off playing.
That will then possibly hurt sales, if going by here for example how flippant people are for cancelling pre-orders and such.
Someone who is working at a large outlet like IGN should be making sure they don't make mistakes, you know have journalist integrity.
IF I make a mistake in my job I'm in trouble, because I fucked it up, why are people not only saying, oh that's fine...

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
My understanding from reviews is that there is 2 campaigns. They share the same location and enemies but have slightly different puzzles & different weapons found (and I assume partly different story). I don't like when reviews get bumped like this. I understand he did a mistake understanding that the second campaign was different but has he played the second campaign or did he just realise the mistake through backlash and bumped the score.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
MC for PS4 is now at 91. Is it because of this change? :P

Jokes aside is seems like some IGN reviewers are speed running the games.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Claire A (1st run) and Leon A (1st run) are pretty much the same thing at the start, until the middle where they meet Ada or Sherry (which are different of course) and then the endings will be the same / similar. Same with Leon B (2nd run) and Claire B (2nd run) are similar.

So the idea is to play Claire A / Leon B or Leon A / Claire B for the complete story and the B play through gets the real final ending.
So if I got this right, I'll have to finish the game 4 times to see the real ending?

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from this is an absolute joke coming from someone reviewing one of the biggest games of the year...

I'm so confused, i thought you had to play through A and B scenarios to see the final ending, if he played through LEON A and then CLAIRE A by mistake then surely he didn't see the final section and boss or have they changed it.
Or did he just watch someone elses play through or ask someone what happened?

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
So, wait... the game does have the Leon A -> Claire B and Claire A -> Leon B progression of the original? I was explicitly told it doesn't!

Capcom said it didn't after e3, but it turns out it does, but also Second Runs in RE219 seem to... not be quite the same thing as B routes from RE298, which is kind of a downer because instead of expanding on a neat feature from the original it looks like they stripped it down.