• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Read the review. Scores are bullshit. The 0.2 points added to that is probably an editor giving it a bigger score in order for places like this to not go completely apeshit
Scores are bullshit, but you don't get to be the one to start saying that after you were the one to bring it up in the first place.

But if you're just gonna start claiming that the review isn't legitimate and was altered to appease the people reading it then there isn't much else to say, as whilst that line of thinking is incredibly dumb and toxic, it's not like I could ever prove that's not the case.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
So path A is 8.8/10 and bath B is 0.2/10?

I might just skip path B then since it's so bad

It's a mistake but it's not just one guys mistake, it's the writers mistake, and then it's the editor who approved its mistake

It obviously makes them look utterly incompetent because last year they had a serial plagiarist on the books
Path A is 8.8, Path B is 9.2. The final score is an average.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
They need to require reviewers to finish the games they review. Its really obvious that some of them dont, (and some of them complain about missing options without going into the options menu).

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was Daemon Hatfield as well, who has been there for a ages now. Seems he made a genuine mistake, somehow.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Are people seriously comparing missing pages from a book to missing an option that requires virtual inputs? Not that what the reviewer did is fine of course.

Also for people that complain about the small 0.2 score increase "without the reviewer having played the second run", I think there is a misunderstanding. Based on the reviewer's original wording he has played the second run (path B) but only after beating path A twice. So he was annoyed that he had to beat the game 3 times to experience the true ending and that's why he awarded 8.8. Once he realized that he didn't have to do that he raised the score. In any case, path B appears to be highly similar to path A.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Claire A (1st run) and Leon A (1st run) are pretty much the same thing at the start, until the middle where they meet Ada or Sherry (which are different of course) and then the endings will be the same / similar. Same with Leon B (2nd run) and Claire B (2nd run) are similar.

So the idea is to play Claire A / Leon B or Leon A / Claire B for the complete story and the B play through gets the real final ending.

Understood, so the setup is the same as the original RE2. That is very disappointing (I thought there would just be two "set" scenarios that are way more distinct than before), but I'm glad I understand this now so I have proper expectations when I play the game myself tomorrow night.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree IGN as a whole has shown incompetence.

Shitting on IGN is ok, but not on individuals.

Yeah, I find the fact he missed a chunk of the game pretty amusing. I don't think the calls for him to be fired are really justified, but IGN as a whole need to sit down and rethink their processes for hiring people (due to last years controversy) and their processes for how they approve reviews for publishing

These are not really the kind of things that should be missed by multiple people. I'm sure they're all under a lot of pressure and stress but if they keep making these high profile mistakes it's going to hurt their credibility in the long run

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
quite honestly, whilst we might expect a little more from someone whose job it is to review these things, the amount of schadenfreude here is a little off putting. i cant say the amount of times i've missed an obvious mechanic in a game and realised a few hours in (i've seen threads on era talking about people playing whole games without realising mechanics or similar), or just plain dumb stared at a screen not seeing an obvious prompt. looking at the new game scenario screen, i can understand why he might have missed it - i hate it when information is split up into multiple areas of the screen. personally i could be just as likely to imagine that option was a new game+ selector.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
Seems like an honest mistake and Daemon is one of the biggest names there, obviously he's competent at his job.

It's bizarre how people are kicking up such a fuss.

This. Some of the replies in this thread are absolutely embarrassing. It's an honest mistake that was made and he/they owned up to it straight away. Just say fair enough and move on.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very telling you're saying that. Maybe dig a little deeper into movie and book criticism. Pauline Kael, Roger Ebert, Sean Burns. Hell, even AV Club people know they can't just write about their opinions on shows and try analyzing stuff.

And just try saying something like that to a literary critic. You'll get laughed out of the room, I can guarantee that.
You should probably look up the difference between a critique and a review.

A review is absolutely just one person sharing their opinion. I loved Ebert's reviews. He quite often didn't bother to research details that he didn't particularly care about. He shared his opinion and you either agreed with him or you didn't.

I'll do exactly what the fuck I like, thanks. The review from possibly the largest gaming review site in the world should know what it's on about. End of.
So you're saying it's about ethics in game reviews?

IGN being a large site doesn't change the fact that a review is just the subjective opinion of one individual. End of.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mean... that's pretty fucking embarrassing, but I fail to see what people are expecting beyond the retraction. The wording on what the fuck 2nd Run even means is so vague and confusing. Watching the 20 min Game Informer video on it, I'm still confused as to what it is.

People getting outright resentful about this, like "HOW DARE HE! HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE A PROFESSIONAL!" Like... fucking chill. This shit ain't that important, and if anything, it probably is on Capcom for their vague wording of "Oh... it'll be different... maybe... in some spots..." That was already the point of the Leon and Claire campaigns being different in the first game.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
In Nier Automata they had to add this warning at the end of ending A because they knew so many people stopped playing the first Nier after the first ending.
At a quick glance that menu for Resident Evil isn't super clear and I could see how someone could mistake that for a new game run if they weren't paying attention.
I think that the wording in RE:2 is fine, but maybe they will change it so people will be more aware of it.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why it's a big deal you ask?

You don't find it utterly disgusting that an internet mob is sh*tting on a person because he made a mistake?

How will you try to defend this disgusting behavior next?
You are like the RE2 Mr. X... stalking my mentions!

I don't find it disgusting that people are laughing at his mistake no. He is a professional and in the public eye and should be accountable for stuff like this. I do think it is uncalled for to say he should be fired though. Thats an over reaction.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have to say, can you imagine the backlash if the reviewer was a woman? I don't even want to think about how hard she'd get it, but there'd probably be a ton of harassment.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The menu isn't clear in that one screen. I didn't see the bottom text until it was pointed out. It also doesn't sound like he missed half the game as some are saying.

Anyway seems he fucked up and hopefully all of our lives can go on.

With that said I don't think quickly changing the score from 8.8 to 9 is a great look. I like number scores but this makes them look even more arbitrary than they already are.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
In Nier Automata they had to add this warning at the end of ending A because they knew so many people stopped playing the first Nier after the first ending.
At a quick glance that menu for Resident Evil isn't super clear and I could see how someone could mistake that for a new game run if they weren't paying attention.
When you finish first campaign in RE2 (1st run) at the end a very similiar message appears to tell you, you unlocked '2nd run' in the main menu.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When you complete the A scenario there is an option called New Game (2nd Run) under the default New Game. I don't think this an easy thing to miss. Why the reviewer didn't even start that to see what it was I do not understand.

While it helps seperate each mode, "2nd run" implies it's the same content a second time to me, not an entirely new scenario. It doesn't excuse the reviewer since he should have really checked the option anyway. But I think it's poor wording on Capcoms part.

I'm not sure why they didn't simply call each campaign "new game (scenario A)" and "new game (scenario B)"

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This isn't the first time this reviewer fucked up. He should be fired. Mistakes like that cannot be tolerated imo, since reviews have a wide spread and can actually influence people's decission on buying said game. Not everyone will re-read or re-watch the review now.

Dude, calm you tits. If making mistake like this end up with people getting fired nobody will have job anymore. People make mistake all the time even the professional one. Unless you never actually have a real job before.

Not defending this guy, his reaction by blocking user who pointed out the mistake is not great either. And IGN quick response to increase the score give me a doubt whether they actually spent time digest the other part of the game. To be fair, this review seems rush to me, which kind of put the nail into the coffin that I will never pay too much attention to the big media/website review, as they work on the clock ( with sometime payment from sponsorship ) so their review can be very inaccurate. And maybe for once we can finally realise that Metacritic can be used as indication to certain extend but it won't be able to verify the quality of the game in any way.

If you are really really unhappy about situation, then ignore his next review or maybe IGN as a whole as clearly they don't really care that much even for the big release like this.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
The thing that gets me isn't just that there was a mistake. While that seems like something that should have gotten caught with more people looking st the review, mistakes happen.

It's the weird bump in score. Why did they go from an 8.8 to a 9 upon realizing this happened? It's not like the content that was missed got played and evaluated that quickly, it's some weird knee jerk bandaid that just boosted the score. It doesn't make any sense at all to even keep the review up, let alone do that.
Could easily just spoke to someone else who played through it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Understood, so the setup is the same as the original RE2. That is very disappointing (I thought there would just be two "set" scenarios that are way more distinct than before), but I'm glad I understand this now so I have proper expectations when I play the game myself tomorrow night.

Yeah pretty much like the original RE2, but without the zapping system, so no small choices like do I take the gun or leave it for the other character. Scenario B will have some differences and the middle part of the game for both characters are unique, so there is enough changes to make it worth playing through multiple times.

It's a nice bonus really though, as Capcom was keeping quite on the whole B scenario even being in the game.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, can you imagine the backlash if the reviewer was a woman? I don't even want to think about how hard she'd get it, but there'd probably be a ton of harassment.
Yeah. The criticism of the review fuckup would of course still be equally valid, but you know that a ton of trolls and gamegaters would be dogpiling on top with some unrelated sexist bullshit as well.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
a guy made a mistake and it was corrected.

like even for the "IGN should give all games really good scores because franchises live and die on IGN scores and they're responsible for Clover Studio being disbanded because they gave God Hand a low score" crowd, the error was corrected before the game even came out.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
While it helps seperate each mode, "2nd run" implies it's the same content a second time to me, not an entirely new scenario. It doesn't excuse the reviewer since he should have really checked the option anyway. But I think it's poor wording on Capcoms part.

I'm not sure why they didn't simply call each campaign "new game (scenario A)" and "new game (scenario B)"

Yeah your suggestion seems like a good shout, and maybe they'll patch it in

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
cant shake the feeling of all these issues that have been showing up at IGN on these reviews stink of bad Editor and Review crunch. The speed in which these guys have to review games... i can't possibly understand how anybody thinks they can properly digest what they have been playing.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't the first time this reviewer fucked up. He should be fired. Mistakes like that cannot be tolerated imo, since reviews have a wide spread and can actually influence people's decission on buying said game. Not everyone will re-read or re-watch the review now.
Fired? To lose his main source of income and sustenance? Over this? This post is disgusting and you should be ashamed of it.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this, the ac7 review, and the BL VR review thing all in the same month. IGN is outdoing themselves. Too bad they're still probably the most popular game review site, even if their reviews seem to be getting worsevas their best staff have moved on to greener pastures

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Its bad UI design. They shouldn't have added a seconds new game option. People will glance over it. Ideally you should have to click on new game, then the game asks you if you want to do the second scenario. No possible mistake if done that way.
I don't think we should be too harsh of the reviewer. Just sounds like a silly mistake, and people make silly mistakes sometimes. The reviewer is probably already embarrassed about it enough.

It's tough when you're a reviewer, you're one of the first people to have the game so you can't just hear about what content the game has from other people online. You just go into it totally blind, not able to ask other people for help or for questions. Given that, you might naturally miss things sometimes.
People showing empathy in a videogame forum - I'm shocked.

Kudos to you!

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I haven't checked out IGN since the whole plagiarism debacle but I remember Daemon being one of the better people working there, seems like a honest mistake.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
That's a shame, I like Daemon a lot. The Game Scoop podcast is a really fun weekly listen but it's kind of amazing the amount of stuff they get wrong per minute. I do enjoy their discussions about retro games though. Daemon has good taste.
This strikes me as a the usual case of journalists in the gaming industry having so much to juggle that they end up being a lot less knowledgeable than their intended audience on so many subjects.

Anyway, this sucks but at least they fixed it. As an isolated incident, this is nothing too bad. But they have had a lot of blunders with their reviews lately. Hopefully they are taking a hard look at their practices.

As for him blocking people on twitter, that is completely whatever territory.

Last edited: