• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the issue.
If I was getting pounced on by a hundred or so people every time I screwed up, I'd be handing out blocks like flyers at a university campus.

Yeah, if I was getting dog piled on Twitter I'd be blocking like there's no tomorrow.

It's not as if he's hiding something or being a dick about the situation. He made a mistake and is rectifying it, another 100 people calling him out doesn't really change or add to the conversation.

A senior member of IGN making the mistake with the review isn't a good look. But I'm fine with him blocking folks on Twitter.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
He's kind of an IGN vet who's been there for a decade or so, so it is kind of embarrassing to have missed something that seemed difficult to miss.

Oh I can totally see that he spends a lot of time at IGN.

This is what years of IGN will do to your brain, kids.

So if the IGN reviewer never played the "B" side then he never fought the true boss?

Correct. He literally only played Leon A and Claire A. That's it.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you complete the A scenario there is an option called New Game (2nd Run) under the default New Game. I don't think this an easy thing to miss. Why the reviewer didn't even start that to see what it was I do not understand.

Do you choose the character for each scenario or are Leon and Claire relegated to A and B, respectively?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Professional game criticism distributed through the medium of game journalism as defined by the general coverage of games, their releases, their criticisms, and the general discussion of their cultural impact is a real treat sometimes.*

Feel better?
I mean, you still didn't define a journalist, you just defined a writer lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Just read the entire review, I quite like Daemon on video but man his writing style is super basic and conversational, they really should have better written content but I guess video is more important nowadays.
Don't know how it is at other places, but at the writing gigs I've had, we're told to write like that to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I shiver each time I hear "conversational".

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

I saw this on twitter but it seems pretty clear

That is...not clear at all.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
This comment accidentally stumbles into the dirty core of all of this lol. We don't really care about the words, we just want to see the score that justifies our opinions
You are missing my point. I dont care about the reviews from these outlets but the score they give the game directly affects developers and sales. I dont need justification for my opinion but unfortunately random people at IGN affect the industry and developers so I care in and abstract sense that has nothing to do with criticism.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Normally I wouldn't care about mistakes like this but their reviews have a huge influence on the industry. Their mistakes literally threaten people's livelihoods. They can't afford mistakes like this. Especially not this many.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I don't understand the negativity surrounding this. He made a mistake and the score/text was fixed. What exactly is the problem now?

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
There is a post from another reviewer earlier in the thread that backed him up on that. It sounds like the "2nd run" is basically the same game with a few extra scenes and an extended ending. It doesn't seem like its anywhere near being "half the game".
If that is the case it doesn't seem like that big of a deal but looking through this thread there seems to be quite a bit of confusion about what these scenarios actually contain. Thanks for the clarification.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one here cares at all for the review but IGN has a huge impact on the industry and this is unacceptable from literally the biggest games media outlet on the planet.

Should IGN have better due diligence? Sure, but it's a company run by humans, and humans make mistakes. Hell journalists writing for news outlets about damming stuff that can have fundamental impacts to geopolitics also make mistakes, let alone writers giving subjective opinions about fucking video games. Point is, mistakes happen, and it's stupid to hold their feet to the fire as if they'd done something far more contentious or evil.

Exactly, IGN is a fucking problem to the industry.

Why would people do research when IGN clearly didn't bother either?

How are they a problem to the industry? They are by far the most popular video game outlet, and that by in large means a tremendous number of people enjoy their content, formatting, design etc. Simply put you don't become that popular, or even sustain that popularity unless you offer quality content that people enjoy or want.

And your second point is just beyond immature lol. Who even cares about due dillegence, other people's honest mistakes justify our own. Right? He did it I can do it. Eye for an eye and all that.

I believe the OP has asked for the mods to correct the thread anyway, so like the IGN review titbit, that too will likely be corrected.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I mean, you still didn't define a journalist, you just defined a writer lol.
I was never sitting here trying to give a strict definition of what a journalist was. Not once.

To me, games criticism falls under the umbrella term of games journalism in a general sense. A quick google search agrees with that. A "game journalist" got offended by this and wanted to let me know he took a class on journalism, like I care, and that his specific definition was right even though no one was arguing against that.

That's it.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Seems like an honest mistake to me. The title screen does look a lil bit confusing, i didn't even notice the text at the bottom until someone pointed it out. At least they fixed the situation quickly.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I don't understand the negativity surrounding this. He made a mistake and the score/text was fixed. What exactly is the problem now?
IGN is the largest games media outlet in the world. Their review for the game was based on an incomplete play through, causing them to retract part the review and change the score. Its a significant and hilarious public fuckup. Its not like they were fixing a typo.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like it could have been an honest mistake but if he was blocking people on twitter for pointing out his mistake, then that looks bad. Seems very unlikely he actually played through the other scenario to update the score.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
This really shows how pathetic IGNs scoring is an entire half of the game was missed and when it was played the difference was .2 of a point lmao.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
The problem is that this keeps happening from IGN, they are literally hurting developers.

Since it's a common issue that makes more sense and it definitely has the potential to hurt developers if they spread false information often. Hopefully IGN can change something to prevent this from happening often in the future. I don't think the writer should be ridiculed, But IGN itself should definitely look over their reviews more carefully going forward.

slasherjpc

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens to folks and rushing for embargos, etc. It happens all the time and will continue to do so probably. How many of these reviews probably only played the first portion anyways and called it a day?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Since it's a common issue that makes more sense and it definitely has the potential to hurt developers if they spread false information often. Hopefully they can change something to prevent this from happening often in the future. I don't think the writer should be ridiculed though.

I never once blamed Daemon for the review, he is a cool guy, he always has been.

I blame IGN, that's all. It's all their fault for not checking the review. IGN seems to put all the work on just one person without any editing or checking. if the reviewer fucked up then the review is screwed.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
this is why having an aggregate like Metacritic is useful instead of relying on a single outlet for impressions

I don't know how useful metacritic would have been in this case, because the problem is in the text, granted metacritic can provide you a link to other reviews to read but no one goes to metacritic to read words.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who said they weren't?

Dude look at your first reply and tell me with a straight face you made that in good faith.

No, purely indignant.

My point was that a journalistic medium can include criticism insofar as that definition is concerned with those terms in the broadest sense.

Journalism and criticism are, specifically, two different things.

Great.

Distribution of games criticism through a journalistic medium is a more specific definition of gaming criticism.

Also, great.

Literally no one would get that confused.

And no one will (or has) bat an eye at the sentiment. Both are pretty regularly outed for their industry-wide ineptitude. Sorry I vaguely misworded a term in such a way that would only bother someone who would make such strict, draconian separation because they dont want to be wrapped up in the same context, despite the fact that the context wouldnt have been necessary to anyone reading this thread to understand what I meant.

But ok, Games criticism AND games journalism are pretty regularly laughable, if that makes you feel better.

Why do you assume that I did not make a reply in good faith? I was commenting on how I must have missed the class where journalism and reviews are in the same broad definition of games journalism, because they aren't. You then told me that I was being too formal(?)

Don't come to this forum to make a point, have it disputed, and then play the "lets discuss your tone" game. Reviews aren't journalistic. Many commenters believe that it is. How would I know? Well it just so happens I'm someone who writes the news AND reviews games and I read a lot of comments about it, so saying people don't get it confused is disingenuous.

Take the L and move on.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
LMAO, how is New Game (2nd Run) clear? If I had not played the game 10 years ago I would think it's sort of a New Game Plus and that's it.

I will say, though, that his obligation as a reviewer not only for IGN but to any outlet that puts out reviews is to test every option on the game.

Daemon has been quite some time with IGN so 1 or 2 mistalkes can happen throughout his now long career. Nothing to be ashamed about.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
While I think it's an understandable mistake to make by an individual reviewer; it is still an embarrassing one to make from such a big media outlet as a whole.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
If I never played RE2 before I would have no idea that there is another campaign scenario.

The Daemon dude who wrote this review did and it's literally his job to figure this out. He is reviewing the game and yet didn't even bother trying out different modes?
Come on.

I will say, though, that his obligation as a reviewer not only for IGN but to any outlet that puts out reviews is to test every option on the game.

Exactly, reviewers these days seems to thinks that all they have to do is to press ''New Game'' and finish it.
Until they reviewed a game with actual unique new game plus content that's literally a different campaign with a true final boss.

Should we blame the reviewers or should we blame modern singleplayer games for being one dimensional? I don't know.

Last edited:

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, their review for Nier Automata was only the first ending????
It's clearly not. Their review of Nier Automata mentions a 30+ hour length, references hacking and text adventure segments that only occur after Ending A, and includes appreciation of the closure certain returning characters give to the prior Nier's ending, which can only refer to post-Ending B content.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, but how are people supposed to know the difference between A and B? If a reviewer could make this mistake, it means a lot of regular folk could as well.
The fact this "reviewer" apparently didn't know there's an A/B scenarios show that he really isn't very knowledgeable about the things he reviews. I never played RE2 and I know there's an A/B scenario, since years ...

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, honestly, looking at that screenshot, the system doesn't seem very clear to me. I only played RE2 once like a couple years ago (as in, I played all possible scenarios once) and even I'm confused about how it works now. I had to go back to the wiki page to make sure:

The main addition over the preceding game is the "Zapping System",[12] by which each of the two playable characters are confronted with different puzzles and storylines in their respective scenarios.[2] After finishing the "A" scenario with one protagonist, a "B" scenario, in which the events are depicted from the other character's perspective, is unlocked.[2][13] The player has the option of starting the "A" scenario with either of the two protagonists, resulting in a total of four different scenarios.[14] Actions taken during the first playthrough affect the second. For example, the availability of certain items may be altered.

And I could totally understand if the reviewer at IGN tried to go in as blind as possible.

IGN US gives Ace Combat 7 a 7.0 because it's a challenging game that requires you to, surprise, learn how to play and apparently paying attention to mission briefings and listening to people give you objectives is just too damn difficult.

IGN Japan gives it a 9.5.

Not having a tutorial mode would actually be unusual for an Ace Combat game, as 04, 5, and 6 all had elaborate tutorial modes that were selectable right from the main menu. And the review does make the point that it's been a while. Ace 7 does have a free-flight mode though.

Other than that, it seems the reviewer simply didn't buy into the story, and I get that. You either buy into Ace Combat's anime bullshit or you don't. It really isn't for everyone and I honestly never expected critics to agree on the game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going completely blind.

Someone please quote me so I can keep dodging posts :

How does that work ? You pick one character first and beat the game then the point of view of the second character happens ?

Does that mean there are 4 paths ? Leon A Claire B, Claire A Leon B ? Kind of like the original ? I thought they said they wouldn't do that and just have one full story for each character ?

Thanks.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO, how is New Game (2nd Run) clear? If I had not played the game 10 years ago I would think it's sort of a New Game Plus and that's it.

Daemon has been quite some time with IGN so 1 or 2 mistalkes can happen throughout his now long career. Nothing to be ashamed about.
it says play through the second scenario right there

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Someone said that the game tells you what the 2nd Run is after the results screen when you finish your first run. Anyone confirm?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
IGN is the largest games media outlet in the world. Their review for the game was based on an incomplete play through, causing them to retract part the review and change the score. Its a significant and hilarious public fuckup. Its not like they were fixing a typo.
It was a mistake. Well, supposedly.