• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Kinda hard to really judge what was going on there given even in the reddit post in the OP, some people are calling out the person who made the post for presenting the situation from a very biased angle.

So instead I'll just focus on what we can see, which is that this one IGN Mod person sure doesn't understand that some people genuinely liked Death Stranding.

And... yeah that's it. I'll wait with the rest of my take until enough info has surfaced.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it seems like IGN removed the ability for people to write in with their own game from the page.

Before:

grDOwya.png

After:

b5x7QVl.png

They basically removed the ability for users to submit their own GOTY that was originally at this link:

q8ukKjR.png

Cached page shows it with the option to submit your own GOTY.

[/URL]

Maybe this is what they mean?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
IMDB showed everyone that anything involving users is worthless. Ditch the poll entirely. It's about who can create the most alt accounts, nothing to do with the quality of the games. IGN has been trash for quite awhile. They know exactly what they're doing. They're doing this for clicks, so you get bombarded by their 10+ pop up ads every time you load a page. "Oh my God, IGN removed Death Stranding!" *everyone rushes to IGN's site*

Jan 9, 2018
This is enough to make me not want to visit their site ever again and I really like some of their hosts that is ridiculous

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
Really? You ask this question? Even in this forum, ppl got shit for not liking the game, and reviewers not liking the game / "bad" reviews were torn to pieces. Please. Of course people were voting for DS, just because.

The real lesson here is: Public voting always sucks in such cases. It's just like with Metacritic user reviews ... just even less to do with basically a few clicks.

There's both sides. It's a controversial game, it doesn't mean people don't like it. For metacritic the game has a very satisfactory metascore for "professional" critics, it's not like every critic hated it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
That or maybe there are just a lot of people that like the game unironically.
I mean they gave days gone 6.5, same as anthem.

Anyway, don't like IGN, this will not change anything.
You're obviously going to have a combination of people who normally would have voted for the game and people voting for it to "stick it to IGN".

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Goty voting is just a popularity contest.
People are passionate about the game and Kojima is really popular.

It's like complaining BTS winning a popularity award.

Feb 5, 2018
If this was a new game from a brand new developer this would be the gem of the decade.
Yup, the irony is that it IS a Kojima game is why its so scrutinized. If it was an high level indie game or a new AAA title from a new dev, it would have been loved a hell of a lot more by people, regardless of "walking simulator" because "these new guys created something unique!"

Ive already been seeing praises about DS being better now that the hating window stopped being fun.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
Didn't you know? IGN are evil and they have a vendetta against Kojima because they didn't like his game. They don't want him to win and will make sure that is prevented at all cost. Gamers rise up etc
Yeah, I feel that the internet has a big beef for IGN for whatever reason, specially when a popular game receives a middling score review. I feel it was the same with the "too much water" meme

It was dumb from them to put Death Stranding in the pool. Actually, popular pools are a mistake in general

Jun 26, 2018
We can't really know why IGN specifically pulled the poll, and the mod doesn't really represent IGN's entire staff (at least that's the safest assumption you can make) I'll be curios to see if they risk putting up the poll again later when this dies down...

GOTY awards are fucking dumb all around.

I'm already looking forward to the articles about Death Stranding and "foul play" if it manages to win anything significant at the TGAs.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
IGN removing a poll that doesn't reflect their feelings
An IGN forum mod going ballistic towards fans of the game
Fans of the game brigading or "bombing" the poll
People on here falsely equating a forum mod to somebody who represents all of IGN

Winners in every corner.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Even though I totally agree with how they feel about this game, it's really stupid to rig the polls so it doesn't win.

If the public wants to vote this for GOTY, let them.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
If more people loved it vs hating it - is there something wrong with it winning the user poll?

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody has done that lol, not in this thread anyway. My post and the other one you quoted simply stated they still represent the brand
So the dozens of people in this thread saying blanket statements like "fuck ign" and "what a joke site" aren't conflating a mod with an entire organization and its professional staff?

If a mod here did something stupid, would you say, "fuck reset era!" or would you say, "what a dumb thing for that mod to do."

Plum

May 31, 2018
Stop being dramatic, this is a community poll and a community team getting in trouble.

This isn't about demonizing anything or throwing internet mobs.
Who's mobin here exactly?

Really? On the first page of this very thread you have upwards of 10 people directly calling out "IGN" as if it were the entire site at fault. If you seriously don't think that rhetoric like this isn't going to cause/hasn't caused a shitstorm in IGN's direction then you have to be ignorant of how the internet tends to work. Not everywhere is as well-moderated as Era and even here we have those posts above.

Also how can you address the fact that we have no clue why the poll was taken down? Literally all we're going on is hearsay and a single moderator's dumb post. To then go and demonise an entire website with 700+ employees based on that is, frankly, even worse than the poll being taken down in the first place. There's very little chance that the moderator will start sending death threats and harassments to "Kojima fans." after all.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I feel that the internet has a big beef for IGN for whatever reason, specially when a popular game receives a middling score review. I feel it was the same with the "too much water" meme

It was dumb from them to put Death Stranding in the pool. Actually, popular pools are a mistake in general

I mean, everything is said and shown in here:

Then there is also the thing about Death Stranding having a way lower score than Pokemon SwSh, writers not getting reviewed themself (see the debacle about that Filip guy that copied lots of reviews) and often times articles with big errors or wrong information in them.

I am not surprised.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
So the dozens of people in this thread saying blanket statements like "fuck ign" and "what a joke site" aren't conflating a mod with an entire organization and its professional staff?

If a mod here did something stupid, would you say, "fuck reset era!" or would you say, "what a dumb thing for that mod to do."

Again, this was an official poll in an official article on the main website. Not some random non-staff mod and that's it.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
It is shitty game but that is a super sketchy thing to do especially since they had already added it late.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
IGN removing a poll that doesn't reflect their feelings
An IGN forum mod going ballistic towards fans of the game
Fans of the game brigading or "bombing" the poll
People on here falsely equating a forum mod to somebody who represents all of IGN

Winners in every corner.
What do you mean it doesn't reflect their feelings? That should be irrelevant since it's a community poll.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

No but isn't the dumb thing here that's making most people mad the fact they made a GOTY post with the poll not having Death Stranding and then removing the poll when people asked about it? The mod just made the shitty post afterwards, which yes is obviously lame too, but we have no reason to think they're behind the whole thing.

Maybe the Mod thing shouldn't be in the title of this thread.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Even though I totally agree with how they feel about this game, it's really stupid to rig the polls so it doesn't win.

If the public wants to vote this for GOTY, let them.

They didn't do that. Death Stranding was just one of a few games that were added later on. It's not a great way of making a poll, but there's no reason to actually believe that it was some conspiracy to rob Death Stranding.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Personally I would've taken the entire thing down after people started claiming it's rigged and started a campaign to mass vote for a specific game lol. At that point the whole thing is worthless.

If I was in charge there I would think that after people called to arms in favour of DS online, there are indeed people voting for it just for the memes and sticking it to IGN. Can't really fault them. This isn't any different than people being upset at 8.8 Zelda reviews or anything like that.

Yeah, I mean it's definitely a bad take from IGN, but on the flipside maybe they didn't include it because they didn't think it was worthwhile. After adding it in due to requests and it getting bombarded with votes I can see where they could suspect vote brigading, in which case the best move is to just take it down. Still a bad take, but it seems completely reasonable.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
You're obviously going to have a combination of people who normally would have voted for the game and people voting for it to "stick it to IGN".

Then don't create a poll or make a reader's award. I read some comments on the site and people wanted the DS on the poll, looks like they added it and it was winning.
Controversial games and well.... Kojima has a lot of fans so I can understand they can disrupt a poll, doesn't mean the game is bad.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
IGN? The shitty Marvel film website?

But seriously, fuck them. For so many reasons. Blatantly not playing past Episode 3 of Death Stranding before reviewing, and this poll being only the most recent.

Status
Not open for further replies.