• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't get the "fuck ign" and "unsuscribe" people in this thread. They tried to do good and were shut down from higher up the chain. Did you prefer they did nothing at all or what? Also, you are not supporting the people who tried to send a message and get people to donate by unfollowing, you're actually hurting them.
Conversely, you (not you specifically, but a general 'you') are supporting censorship and apartheid by pretending that IGNs actions did nothing to damage their brand. I understand that the decision came from higher up, but in the end, I will not support any business that pooh poohs apartheid. A stand should be taken.

I always fall back to RATM's Guerilla Radio's lyrics when the going seems to get tough.

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda hope Neil Druckmann would come out in support for Palastine.

For obvious reasons -- his voice would be very powerful.
You expect someone who :
- grew up as a settler in a west bank colony
- was livid with rage when two idf soldiers in occupied territory were lynched by a disenfranchised palestinian mob
- used heavy handed palestinian stereotypes in his last game with a political statement akin to « cycle of hatred » and the only moral characters beeing well.. not the stereotyped palestinians

to lend support to the palestinian cause?

If so you are far less cynical than me

I just don't ever see that happening. Not everyone is as outspoken on the subject as Natalie Portman unfortunately. They're far more likely (as evidenced by the IGN Israel stance) to have similar views/statements as Gadot

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Shows you the reach and power of the Israeli lobbyists and their control. They were getting away with this shit for decades, thank god for platforms like instagram where the people can post whats truly happening in that area without relying on media outlets who have been in bed with Israel since day 1.

keep spreading the truth everyone, one day things will change.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
You expect someone who :
- was livid with rage when two idf soldiers in occupied territory were lynched by a disenfranchised palestinian mob
- used heavy handed palestinian stereotypes in his last game with a political statement akin to « cycle of hatred » and the only moral characters beeing well.. not the stereotyped palestinians

Plus zero Arab/Muslim representation in any of his games. I guess all the Muslims became infected???

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
When I first heard they had a flag and a donation button/link

I thought

"wow that's really impressive of them!"

then of course it all fell apart and now we've got this "both sides" statement

Congratulations you played yourself IGN

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You expect someone who :

If so you are far less cynical than me

I just don't ever see that happening. Not everyone is as outspoken on the subject as Natalie Portman unfortunately. They're far more likely (as evidenced by the IGN Israel stance) to have similar views/statements as Gadot
Had no idea Druckmann was Israeli, yeah, looking at that game through a different lens now.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I was impressed by the IGN staff for their public support of the Palestinian people and it's appalling that those above not only retracted that support but put out that bullshit statement. Fuck Ziff Davis and J2 Global.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda Funny fucking rules. I want this thread shoved in the face of everyone who comes along running their mouths the next time Greg Miller is announced as host for an event.

For real. Dude has consistently made the choice to put people over profits. Still loved Tim's rant at fans during the last election. Great team constantly highlighting good people and using their platform for good.

DreamRunner

Banned
Sep 14, 2020
Stuff like this makes me sick to my stomach.Makes you think how much power Israel actually has that it can pull shit like this.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Conversely, you (not you specifically, but a general 'you') are supporting censorship and apartheid by pretending that IGNs actions did nothing to damage their brand.
No, I'm not supporting censorship, fuck J2. I just don't see a point in hating IGN for this, as they were the ones who actually tried to speak up, don't have freedom of speach and were censured. As your lyrics say, it has to start somewhere...but if the one who started it doesn't succeed, is it their fault, or the ones who put them down?

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some other sites are reporting IGN's move:

www.axios.com

U.S. gaming outlets publish then remove posts supporting Palestinians

The usually restrained IGN publishing the piece made this turn of events unusual even to gaming insiders.
kotaku.com

IGN Takes Down Article And Tweet Sharing Palestinian Aid Groups [Updates]

Following the most recent set of violent military strikes by the Israel Defense Forces that have leveled entire buildings in Gaza and left over 180 Palestinians dead, IGN posted an article linking to a variety of Palestinian charities and even gave a Palestinian flag prominence in its masthead...
www.gamesindustry.biz

IGN, Game Informer express, retract support for Palestinian civilians

On Friday, a number of games industry media outlets posted stories informing their readers about how they can donate to…
www.gamerevolution.com

IGN and GameInformer Palestine support controversially removed, staff fight back - GameRevolution

GameInformer and IGN Palestine support articles have been pulled from their websites, and staff are in dispute over the reasons why.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Will not be giving IGN any more clicks after this fiasco unfortunately. But I do want to say thanks to the IGN staff for being better than their corporate overlords.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): antisemitism
Some key people at Ziff Davis and J2 Global are Jewish, good chance they won't be pro Palestine.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Finished listening to the segment concerning Palestine.

Just shows the failure of our education system in regards to global politics in general, especially the Middle East. I wasn't aware Israel was such a young country. Blessing going into the brief history lesson was kind of an eye-opener in comparison to the misconceptions I grew up thinking.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Finished listening to the segment concerning Palestine.

Just shows the failure of our education system in regards to global politics in general, especially the Middle East. I wasn't aware Israel was such a young country. Blessing going into the brief history lesson was kind of an eye-opener in comparison to the misconceptions I grew up thinking.
Thank you for taking the time to educate yourself. As a Palestinian, we have been all too familiar with this situation for multiple generations. Me and my family could have easily been in the position of Gaza citizens today, but my grandparents took another path after they were expelled from their homes.

I'm really grateful for the IGN staff that had the courage to stand up for Palestinians. It's a shame it turned out this way, but it's unfortunately not surprising for us. We've been treated this way for such a long time and only just started having our voices heard.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Are they gonna post hundreds of rocket emojis too to try and drum up sympathy and condolences for Israel?

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, cries for the staff to redesign are boneheaded and distasteful. Anyone who tried or tries to pressure people to resign after they already stuck their neck out to run the original post should be ashamed of themselves.

Anyways, it shouldn't be forgotten that Game Informer also removed their article. We now have reporting that confirms that corporate overstepped in the case of IGN, and we're left assuming the same is true at GI. GI is owned by Gamestop. Its ties to this industry are direct and significant. There should be a lot more pressure than there currently is.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am conflicted as we know the retraction is a corpo call and any boycott would negatively effect the people who actually had the balls to take a stand.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I am conflicted as we know the retraction is a corpo call and any boycott would negatively effect the people who actually had the balls to take a stand.

Both positions are totally valid. This thread is better served by continuing to highlight the injustices happening in the mideast rather than passing moral judgments on people who take either course.

It's correct that a boycott would negatively impact those lower on the totem pole, but that is true for any boycott. Targets of potential direct action are always very quick to bring this up.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
Kinda hope Neil Druckmann would come out in support for Palastine.

For obvious reasons -- his voice would be very powerful.

Give this a read before you rely on Neil Druckmann to speak about this issue - https://www.vice.com/en/article/bv8da4/the-not-so-hidden-israeli-politics-of-the-last-of-us-part-ii

The game's co-director and co-writer Neil Druckmann, an Israeli who was born and raised in the West Bank before his family moved to the U.S., told the Washington Post that the game's themes of revenge can be traced back to the 2000 killing of two Israeli soldiers by a mob in Ramallah. Some of the gruesome details of the incident were captured on video, which Druckmann viewed. In his interview, he recounted the anger and desire for vengeance he felt when he saw the video—and how he later reconsidered and regretted those impulses, saying they made him feel "gross and guilty." But it gave him the kernel of a story.
I, too, have seen the video of the 2000 mob killing of the Israeli soldiers in Ramallah, and it's horrific. Yet, my immediate response wasn't "Oh, man, if I could just push a button and kill all these people that committed this horrible act, I would make them feel the same pain that they inflicted on these people," as Druckmann said.

juxjuxjux

Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
As a former Humble Bundle manager, this reeks of J2 Global taking a position on the situation, and throwing IGN staff under the bus. That umbrella corp (pun intended) will do anything to not upset the apple cart, and also keep profits rolling. As another example, they're currently trying to juice revenue at HB by taking away bundle split sliders, and giving themselves 50%-80% of each bundle sale (while charities get a mere 5%) at the same time.

They went back on this decision after public (and lots of internal HB staff) outcry, but it's coming back in a few months. J2 is a aggressively profit motivated, and I'd personally recommend not supporting their business units.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Hoping the best for the staff. I think they were among the first gaming outlets to speak up and most definitely the biggest. That voice was heard, even if it's been tried to be silenced. But now we can make that voice even louder.