• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Despite my problems with it, I'm still playing it almost every day. There's really no other game that gives me the feeling of satisfaction when I make a big play.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I still play everyday its a great game have almost 1500 hours in it. One of the things I wish they added was a map or mode select. I really like payload maps so I would prefer a rotation of only those maps. Several years and not a dime dropped in lootboxes good $40 purchase.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I ended up hating the ultimate-centric gameplay but Zenyatta is probably one of the funnest characters to play for me in any multiplayer game.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
There are other ways to beat GOATS, but Blizz would have to look to other games, which they won't do. League of Legends for example doesn't have this issue. If you picked a GOATS comp there, I'd just pick Trundle (whose unblockable ult steals resistances, making a tank into a useless squishy) and nuke them. But Overwatch doesn't really do that kind of interaction.
You may be on to something regarding debuffs. Right now, the only debuffs in the game are Ana's grenade & Zen's discord orb. On top of being able to better counter supports without directly nerfing their healing potential, various kinds of debuffs could be the way to weaken tanks to prevent GOATS as well as a form of crowd control without needing to resort to stuns or freezing. Someone actually brought it up as an idea for Mei (Chilled being an ability to reduce the damage of opponents hit by her primary fire) with regards to reworking her into a tank.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game for a few years now, but I certainly consider my time spent with it a 10/10. Zenyatta too much fun. Playing all the Support heroes in general was a very unique FPS experience that I greatly appreciated.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
It is kind of amazing how Overwatch is able to appeal to such a wide range of people.

I've got friends who have never played FPS games before and never cared to get into it, not even LOL or any other kind type competitive game but they enjoy playing OW and OW competitively.

The game may have balancing issues what not but it's still a top-tier game.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This review seems purely geared to the variety of characters and maps rather than any broad overview of the game and its systems. From that perspective, I can absolutely see how this reviewer can give this game a 10. And it's true. The variety of playstyles and character charm is Overwatch's strong suit.

I have my own frustrations with the game. But I can absolutely say there is nothing on the market quite like Overwatch.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Do any outlets re-review games that get worse? Or only if they are better? Honest questions.
I think the only time this has ever happened was Polygon's re-review of SimCity 2013, which was right around the time that re-reviews as a concept started to emerge. They initially gave it a 9.5 based purely on a preview build, then dropped it to 8, then to 4.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
The game was real fun, but it's not a perfect game. Teams get punished when someone leaves the game, where it is near impossible to win or leave the game without being punished. The game received updates at a snails pace, especially compared to other games in similar genres. Lastly, the lack of cross platform progress and cosmetic unlocks is ridiculous. I hope Blizzard fixes this issue in future games.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I think the only time this has ever happened was Polygon's re-review of SimCity 2013, which was right around the time that re-reviews as a concept started to emerge. They initially gave it a 9.5 based purely on a preview build, then dropped it to 8, then to 4.

Is this the SimCity review that spawned the Arthur Gies Tweet?
74p3tZx.jpg

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamespot recently re-reviewed Rainbow Six Siege and gave it a 10, and that one made sense.

This one... does not.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You are.

I swear this place keeps geeking worse and worse. All this about paid reviews and wrong opinions it feels like fucking gamefaqs. It's embarrassing.

why does it hurt you people that in their opinion overwatch is now a 10/10 game ffs?

Did you read the post you quoted? Did I say they get paid reviews? Maybe you have to improve your reading comprehension before insulting others.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like Doomfist, Moira and Sombra as much as the next person, but Mei? Junkrat? Reaper? Tank busting McCree? Bastion? Quick scoping Widow? Hanzo scatter? Lock on Symmetra? 5x Mercy resses (twice in one teamfight)? Six stack Torbjorns? Roadhog hooks?

I agree that the game has declined in quality, right now though we are on an uprise. 2-2-2 was a mixed bag, made for more balanced games at the cost of queue times, but they've given us a ton of options to play freely. Competitive open queue is coming. Arcade has been expanded. The controversial hero pools have been phased out for most players.

I still quite enjoy the game, 8-9/10. The supports in the game are literally the funnest FPS experiences I've had. Ana, Zenyatta, Baptiste, flying around as Mercy, wallriding as Lucio. Never played a shooter more fun than this.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I play everyday, and still a loooot of people play it, but today's state I wouldn't give it a 10 out of 10.
From the beginning, Everyone was nerfed and little by little they've been buffing some characters that completely obliterate the rest. Moira, Roadhog, Zarya and Sigma completely wreck. Overwatch was better at the beginning, everyone was on steroids and ults were very common, some people didnt like em but they were part of the game, and it was good.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
The funny part is that when Competitive Open Queue was introduced, GOATS returned.

While the DPS queue times are unfortunate & should be addressed (maybe with 3-2-1 in OW2), Role Queue is the only thing keeping GOATS from coming back.

role queue was the laziest possible solution to GOATS. some creativity (like actually tweaking heroes and numbers) would have dealt with it instead of arbitrarily limiting roles and fucking over dps players in the process.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
8 - launch
10 - One Year Anniversary
10 - Two Year Anniversary
7 - Three Year Anniversary
8 - Four Year Anniversary.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For brand new FPS IPs it's one of the best this generation along with the Titanfall IP, so I can't really argue with the score.

Still the most toxic game ever though.

Last edited:

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
How do you justify this game not being a 10? It's pretty perfect and its continued support is pretty remarkable. Still play it to this day (since launch).

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Tried to get back into it with the switch version. I stopped with Doomfist, and when I came back, I just didn't like what the new characters added. The game was more fun with the OG characters. Maybe im just not into it anymore, too.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I think no matter what Blizzard does to balance overwatch, ults will always be the largest issue. The moment to moment gameplay is only a vehicle to the most important goal in Overwatch, which is winning ult economy and deploying them more effectively than your opponent.

And that frustrates a lot of people.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think no matter what Blizzard does to balance overwatch, ults will always be the largest issue. The moment to moment gameplay is only a vehicle to the most important goal in Overwatch, which is winning ult economy and deploying them more effectively than your opponent.

And that frustrates a lot of people.

Correct, because Overwatch is a MOBA, not a FPS. It's an interesting take on MOBA gameplay, but it falls flat for a lot of people who enjoy the ability to hard carry (or be carried) by individual skill, which can't happen in Overwatch.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
IGN needing to keep the lights on due to lack of E3, and Covid. This will generate clicks. Nothing more...nothing less. Overwatch is still Overwatch. For better for worse. How this shakes out for Overwatch 2 will be the real story. Nothing to debate or see here...move along.

May 17, 2018
IGN needing to keep the lights on due to lack of E3, and Covid. This will generate clicks. Nothing more...nothing less. Overwatch is still Overwatch. For better for worse. How this shakes out for Overwatch 2 will be the real story. Nothing to debate or see here...move along.

It's honestly kinda genius in that way. Just keep rereviewing popular games. Never ending traffic.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
OW annoys me at times, but I've legit been playing since launch so I can't really argue that the game isn't a 10.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do you justify this game not being a 10? It's pretty perfect and its continued support is pretty remarkable. Still play it to this day (since launch).

Continued support? Let's not pretend this is anything but business. This was full price at launch on top of what people are paying for MTX. That's why it's still supported. They are not doing a favor here.

Witcher 3 had better support and that's a single player game only without additional revenue.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
You may be on to something regarding debuffs. Right now, the only debuffs in the game are Ana's grenade & Zen's discord orb. On top of being able to better counter supports without directly nerfing their healing potential, various kinds of debuffs could be the way to weaken tanks to prevent GOATS as well as a form of crowd control without needing to resort to stuns or freezing. Someone actually brought it up as an idea for Mei (Chilled being an ability to reduce the damage of opponents hit by her primary fire) with regards to reworking her into a tank.

Yeah, my biggest gripe with the game since launch is that regardless of role (DPS, tank, supp, defense back in the day), the only way most heroes interact with an opponent is by shooting them to lower their HP. They probably think they'll ruin the identity for heroes like Zenyatta if they give other people similar interactions like his discord orb, but it's necessary for balance. GOATS happened because a comp with zero DPS could still rack up kills, and because shields in OW are godly.

Imagine if they put in Trundle from LoL as mentioned above, or Blitzcrank (whose ult is an AoE like Sombra's that instantly breaks all shields). In OW terms, the game needs waaaaay more abilities like Ana's grenade, Zen's discord orb, etc.... and less flavors of "hit opponent with projectile that lowers their HP." That Mei idea is a good one.

like actually tweaking heroes and numbers

This is what they tried. Nothing radical for them, just buffs for people like Reaper so he could kill the 3 tanks with pocket heals (and therefore everything else in the game). Tweaking numbers isn't enough. They'll keep seeing certain comps overrun the game unless they look at others in the space.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019

It's support has been excellent from a content perspective, but from the constant rebalancing of characters making it hard and arguably not worth it to fully master a character, to said balancing being questionable at best (Hanzo, D.Va) and you get the current player count low.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game getting a bit of hate in here. It's easily a 10.

It's almost 5 years old and still plays and looks well. They've added hundreds of hours worth of free content in that time in new maps, characters and modes its easily one of the best £35 i ever paid for a game all those years ago.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
IMO a lot of people who are either pretty down on the game or keep saying it is near death end up relying on hyperbole to get their point across about how bad it is.

Like some have said it has trash matchmaking, balancing, cheaters. And in my experience that just hasn't been the case. Matchmaking while not at all perfect is still pretty good compared to other games. Balancing has truly been a lot better. Cheaters are unfortunate but I believe only the top ranks experience them, and I doubt that the average person who hops on will often encounter any.

Anyways, it's genuinely one of my most enjoyed multiplayer games since it has released and I'd take it over just about any other one out there. I may not play nearly as often as I used to, but diving it back in occasionally is still a fantastic time. I'm excited for Overwatch 2 as well.

Last edited:

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Continued support? Let's not pretend this is anything but business. This was full price at launch on top of what people are paying for MTX. That's why it's still supported. They are not doing a favor here.

Witcher 3 had better support and that's a single player game only without additional revenue.

Continued support is hardly distinct from business decisions. You offered this rejoinder like it invalidates the point that the game gets supported.

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Been playing on and off since launch. The game itself has definitely improved. Everything except matchmaking is better, and that's only because there's simply not enough tanks or supports in the game to balance out the queue times for DPS. Absolutely deserved, the game is perfect and it will only get better.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
When I saw a re-review I definitely didn't think the score would be higher. Guess it depends on what you're reviewing. In the CURRENT STATE of Overwatch, it's not even close to a 10. If you're reviewing everything up to this point, then I can see it. There's been a lot of enjoyment there.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It was definitely a 10 at one point. The lack of substantial updates and weird fine tuning to how you can play has dropped it down for me though.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure about that, the problem I had (and the reason my top 4 played are healers) is because nobody would heal when there wasn't role queues most of the time. It could be anecdotal (4 years worth though...) but I'm thankful I can play a game where there's going to be a tank or a healer guaranteed if I wanted to play damage.

Though it's something I only expected for public qp not competitive, in competitive you'd assume teams would build their composition out appropriately even without role queues but nope, guess not hah!

My biggest peeve really are some of the map designs with horrible choke points, or the spawn room distancing on some maps.
Who thought it was a good idea having the first spawn of a map also being the same location as the last spawn of the map?!

Also good widowmakers, but I hate snipers in every game to be honest ;D

Fair enough! I have some issues with maps, too, but they've always felt more particular to me than they are large scale design issues. I'd say you're also right about support/healers and main tanks in terms of player preference. But that's an issue of how characters are designed and what people think is fun to play. As much as I like OW's tanks and supports (more than any other equivalent game), it's hard to avoid the feeling that they've always been second-class cast members as far as actiblizz is concerned. Just look at the numbers and what they thought hype plays looked like in OWL.

The main issue that facilitated role queue was not really solvable without essentially deleting the GOATS cast from existence (would never happen) or adding more tanks and supports to the roster (would take years).

You might be right about that, but if so, it's an issue of how the cast was built from the beginning. Actiblizz may have wanted tanks, supports, and dps to all be equally fun to play, but they had their fingers on the scale for dps from jump. When GOATS became dominant, a big issue was that the game drifted from that dps-centric play. Maybe if it hadn't started that way, and if there was a greater variety of tanks and support class characters, GOATS wouldn't have become the issue that it did. Instead, it illustrated serious issues with balance. Actiblizz's response to those issues showed that they didn't have a good solution.