• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I do wish this had co-op and the DLC. But someone said the DLC wasn't that great, not sure if that's a sentiment many share, but I'm fine without the DLC if nothing of value was really lost (Either way I wish we had gotten the DLC, but it not being good just gives me a "oh well" response instead of being annoyed or upset the DLC isn't in)

The co-op doesn't matter to me much as long as it doesn't make the game insanely harder with just one person. If the game is manageable with one person, I'm fine with that. Though co-op probably could have helped with PSVR sales, people buying VR to play it with their friend.

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018
Imo that's not a mistake, it's bad work to criticize things before taking a look at the options.

It looks more like the reviewer has no plan about VR games and that's not professional for one of the biggest gaming sites...

You do make a good point and I appreciate you helping me see it in a different light without any harshness.

The standard of quality is higher for a website on the level of IGN, so I understand that the error does fall on the reviewer to be more thorough and not allow something like that to happen again.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least it was a review from a VR game, thats very seldom. VR is extremely niche and brings no clicks/viewer... they probably don't set their best reviewer on VR.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
At least it was a review from a VR game, thats very seldom. VR is extremely niche and brings no clicks/viewer... they probably don't set their best reviewer on VR.

Giving the wrong information in a review shouldn't be happening with any game, it doesn't make this right just because it's a VR game.

Us VR players have the right to correct info just as much as non VR players.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... I can understand he didn't looked at the options at first, but then if you really find these things so disturbing for gameplay, should be the first thing for you to look for them in the option menu... even more if you are writing that these doesn't even exist, first check...
It's not like some hidden mechanic of the game that you have to learn trough play or some hidden hint...

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
This has NOT been a banner year for IGN reviews.
ohzrd5t.jpg

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're literally suggesting that the entire 7-point deduction was attributed to locomotion settings. Not to mention you're even giving this reviewer ANY credibility at all...

Who could possibly want to validate this garbage review?

*checks post history*

Ooh dissenting opinions (with a spicy dose of inflammation) on all the top VR games. It all makes sense.

I now know why you don't want to join in on the dogpile. Misrepresenting a VR game makes this reviewer a hero in your book. Pathetic.

Well at least you're honest in admitting there's a dogpile. I'll give you that if nothing else lol.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a pretty big mistake, but as a reviewer I can symphatize a bit, as I've done mistakes in the past. Okay, not WHOLE option setting pages' worth of mistakes, but for example I didn't realize in a f2p game that there was a specific alternative control method I would have liked thanks to the fact it had a confusing naming, which made me believe such a thing did not exist in a game. Yes, it's a major oversight, but shit like this happens, and honestly I'm not shocked said reviewer didn't put a huge effort into reviewing yet another quick VR port of a several years old game.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
I'm pretty sure Booga won't be back with proof they owb a PSVR. If I was a mod i'd demand evidence or ban then, that's probably why I'm not a mod though.
Sorry I forgot all about this nonsense. I kind of just kept living my life without tagging people with trollish comments demanding evidence that I own a particular console. My kid doesn't want their picture taken for creepy strangers on the internet, can't say I blame her.

If I were a mod id slap you with a ban for intentionally posting inflammatory shit for the sole purpose of reigniting an argument that has been concluded for no reason other than their own pathetic entertainment.

Get a life, and please don't tag me for off-topic trolling.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a pretty big mistake, but as a reviewer I can symphatize a bit, as I've done mistakes in the past. Okay, not WHOLE option setting pages' worth of mistakes, but for example I didn't realize in a f2p game that there was a specific alternative control method I would have liked thanks to the fact it had a confusing naming, which made me believe such a thing did not exist in a game. Yes, it's a major oversight, but shit like this happens, and honestly I'm not shocked said reviewer didn't put a huge effort into reviewing yet another quick VR port of a several years old game.
I would say that's on the devs then. They should clearly label these things.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Some people don't even tune the IPD settings to make VR more comftable, So it doesn't even surprise me this reviewer lacked the most basic thing you do when you start any VR game. Go too the settings, The game basically tells you to do that at the start.

The game is a solid 7/10..... Lack of co-op Is the only negative, The new slow mo ability is mega fun tho. Crisp looking game too, The art style suits well.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

It's not even about "effort", they clearly had someone who doesn't play VR games to review it.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I have sunk about 10 hours into BL2 this weekend and I'm having a blast with it. Move controls are ok but switched to DS4 for more intuitive movement and it works great. Hoping they add Aim support and then it will be perfect, still can't get my head around why they haven't supported Aim from the get go as it's the perfect controller for BL2.

Sucks that there is no coop which playing it at original release with my friends was awesome but being able to play this in VR and "be in" the crazy world of Pandora is still a brilliant experience. It's defs not a 3/10 game, I would give it a solid 7/10 to be fair.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Sorry I forgot all about this nonsense. I kind of just kept living my life without tagging people with trollish comments demanding evidence that I own a particular console. My kid doesn't want their picture taken for creepy strangers on the internet, can't say I blame her.

If I were a mod id slap you with a ban for intentionally posting inflammatory shit for the sole purpose of reigniting an argument that has been concluded for no reason other than their own pathetic entertainment.

You wouldn't need to include a picture of your child, not sure why you'd ever even think of doing that as a parent! Just a simple picture of the device with your username!

Let's be honest, you've spun this to try and make yourself look better but your story doesn't add up. You've gone from saying you have owned the device since xmas 2016 to saying you bought it for your child and therefore you technically don't own it and are embarrassed to say you own one????

The reason I bought this back up is accountability, I saw you in another PSVR thread giving advice about the device when based upon what you've already said it doesn't even seem like you own one.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You wouldn't need to include a picture of your child, not sure why you'd ever even think of doing that as a parent! Just a simple picture of the device with your username!

Let's be honest, you've spun this to try and make yourself look better but your story doesn't add up. You've gone from saying you have owned the device since xmas 2016 to saying you bought it for your child and therefore you technically don't own it and are embarrassed to say you own one????

The reason I bought this back up is accountability, I saw you in another PSVR thread giving advice about the device when based upon what you've already said it doesn't even seem like you own one.
Please, let's move on from this line of conversation. Thanks.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Did IGN ever release a statement on why the article was pulled? Removing an error-laden article is only half the battle. There needs to be transparency about why it was taken down.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Did IGN ever release a statement on why the article was pulled? Removing an error-laden article is only half the battle. There needs to be transparency about why it was taken down.

Yeah they posted on the r/borderlands subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Borderland...r_review_but/ebvl7my/?sh=5e53527b&st=JPQS19IP

DanStapleton

Hi everyone, IGN's reviews editor here.

We're very sorry about this whole situation -- it's never our intention to mislead our readers and viewers or misrepresent any developer's work. Obviously, this reviewer was not careful enough in verifying his assumptions about Borderlands 2 VR's movement and comfort options before writing his review, and we definitely don't want reviews based on incorrect information. As soon as the issues were brought to my attention last night I verified the problem and then pulled the review from the site and YouTube (the fact that this happened on a Friday evening made it difficult to pull it from everywhere at once) and contacted Metacritic to have the score withdrawn.

We've started over with a different reviewer and hope to have a new, factually accurate review up before the end of the coming week. Thanks for bearing with us.

I need to add this to the OP. Should have earlier!

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017

tenor.gif

Yeah they posted on the r/borderlands subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Borderland...r_review_but/ebvl7my/?sh=5e53527b&st=JPQS19IP

I need to add this to the OP. Should have earlier!
Given how little coverage VR gets, someone as massive as IGN coming out saying everything is shit and then pulling out their reviews for misinformation is just the icing on the cake.
It's one thing when they said "we can't publish on vr cause it's low clicks", another when they finally do something and they have to pull a 3/10 for misinformation. 🤡

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah, now I want Booga to prove they're not lying. She did say she would, so let's see!

It's 2018, super easy to take pics and post them if you want without any safety concerns. Enough time has past now since the original promise that it doesn't even matter now. She already said her cousin has a psvr, how difficult would it be go there and snap a pic? Not at all. Dont even bother, the pic means nothing.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

If anyone in this thread deserves a ban, it's you.

Not only have you seemingly lied about owning a PSVR, you've also insulted some on here by calling them names and using vulgar language.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I get that many of us check the options settings for games as a matter of course, but honest question for anyone who played this: Does it ever notify the player when you start the game that it is there? I feel at bare minimum, especially in a newer medium like home VR games, the game itself should give the player a heads up that hey, you can drastically alter the play style and control setup in the settings menu. I'm not sure most people who are playing VR for the first time or don't take gaming as seriously as an average forum goer, would even think that you could make such huge changes in how a game is played without a heads up to it.

Oct 27, 2017

You said you would do it twice. You were the one who even initiated the idea in the first place.

Oct 30, 2017
Speaking of checking options, I'm glad I looked into Tetris Effect's options or else I'd be pretty upset. I had a real hard time getting used to the standard settings (non-traditional block color, pulsing tetrominos, ghosts, etc.) and it was slowly turning me off from playing until I dived in and changed some stuff up. I love it now.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I get that many of us check the options settings for games as a matter of course, but honest question for anyone who played this: Does it ever notify the player when you start the game that it is there? I feel at bare minimum, especially in a newer medium like home VR games, the game itself should give the player a heads up that hey, you can drastically alter the play style and control setup in the settings menu. I'm not sure most people who are playing VR for the first time or don't take gaming as seriously as an average forum goer, would even think that you could make such huge changes in how a game is played without a heads up to it.
Apparently it's actually mentioned in game 😂

Anyway, if you are into VR checking the available comfort options is implied. Being that everyone has varying tolerances to different things...

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently it's actually mentioned in game 😂

Anyway, if you are into VR checking the available comfort options is implied. Being that everyone has varying tolerances to different things...

While obviously that should be the case, wouldn't hurt (especially since its a pretty "new" thing to hit mainstream) to have the game notify the player in the tutorial section or loading screen or something, because in some of the VR games I've played you can have a vastly different experience sometimes (the difference between playing something like Myst and a full on FPS game in some).

That said, I mean that more for the general public. Obviously a professional reviewer should know better and it is even worse if it is actually mentioned in game and he just missed/ignored it.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
'Though, from a 3D standpoint I definitely enjoy the 3DS more than VR because it's more like looking into a little world that immersing yourself in a world. And for whatever reason that resonates with me more.' Read this and fell about laughing, honestly only someone that has never tried VR would ever compare VR to stereoscopic 3d on a handheld!

On topic - IGN are really tarnishing what little reputation they have left, its the last place I would look these days regards reviews and especially for VR games.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Calm down lmao

This is exactly what I'm talking about here. It's a shit-ass review, but THIS is not a valid way to be reacting to it.
I'm not reacting to the review. I'm reacting to Raijinto's suggestion that VR gaming is a 3/10 experience at default comfort settings.

Do noob-friendly locomotion settings compromise an experience? Absolutely. But cherrypicking a ridiculously low score like this and applying that as a base across the VR library? Complete nonsense.

Well at least you're honest in admitting there's a dogpile. I'll give you that if nothing else lol.
Yeah no problem. Dogpile is just a derogatory term the butthurt use to describe when a lot of people share a similar opinion.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"atleast it wasn't plagiarized" is kind of a wierd response considering it might as well have been, atleast the facts would have been...well facts.

With the kind of misleading misinformation that was in there it seems almost more like an intentional hatchet job or extreme gross negligence. The Gearbox Lead Designer that worked on the game were coming to IGN the same day the reviewer posted the review. All questions/concerns probably could have been directed to that lead designer well before the play event and review.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time i start playing new game, the first thing i do is go to the options and careful look at the settings, what a completely shitty critic/reviewer you have to be not to do this.

Last edited:

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Every time i start playing new game, the first thing i do is go to the settings and careful look the options, what a completely shitty critic you have to be not to do this.

Seems like a unique situation this time around, as VR standards necessitate exploring available options in a way most games do not. Obviously you want to check them out either way, but I'm not sure neglecting to do so would typically have such a massive impact on a score.

The freelancer IGN leaned on here seems to have been published in a number of publications, and presumably their work has been appreciated more often than not. You don't necessarily have to be a shitty critic to make this kind of mistake. Aside from hoping everyone learns something from this incident, I'm not seeing any dramatic takeaways that can be made from it.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fairest thing I can say is that I think its absolutely dumb to not have it all enabled by default or to not notify the player to check the options.

Other than that...eesh. I'd imagine if I were reviewing a video game I would at least check the options.

Oct 27, 2017
The fairest thing I can say is that I think its absolutely dumb to not have it all enabled by default or to not notify the player to check the options.

Other than that...eesh. I'd imagine if I were reviewing a video game I would at least check the options.

It's not dumb as has been explained multiple times in this thread. And the game apparently does notify the player about additional options.

Oct 2, 2018
I gotta say, if you've played any VR game for any duration - you'll know to check for comfort settings. I played the plane flying one of late (thinking it'll be pilotwingish) except its not and yes, it has comfort settings too.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not dumb as has been explained multiple times in this thread. And the game apparently does notify the player about additional options.
I meant to say it would be dumb if neither of those were options. Either leave them on by default or turn them off by default but notify. If they do have a notification though then I got nothing.