• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To clarify for people who don't play VR games, these comfort options are so standard now, that virtually every game uses it. It'd be like a reviewer complaining that a game doesn't use inverted aiming when there's an option in the options menu, because he never thought that inverted aiming would have been an option in the first place, precisely because he doesn't play many games.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
FYI responsibility for this kind of stuff falls more on the editor than the reviewer. Yes the author is responsible for what they wrote, but the editor is responsible for publishing it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is bad-take central. Reallllly putting the ignore button to work here.

Humans review games. Humans make mistakes. Extrapolating that as laziness and an overall reflection of an entire outlet is ridiculous.

Critique is fine, but so many of you are being shitty here in an entirely unjustifiable way.

They would know about this, if they played more VR games, because the overwhelming majority of VR games have these options. This is extremely bog standard for VR these days. If IGN wants to be a respected source for VR information, they should have people who know the very basic options that virtually every VR game has.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Did he really play the entire game without looking in the options menu? Sounds like a case of playing for 30min and then posting a review.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Blaming a game for lacking options when it actually does have those options in the menu is inexcusable to matter how you slice it.

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps they should start instituting some accountability at the management level. After the plagiarism fiasco I was surprised their executive reviews editor survived. Now this.
That makes zero sense. There's no way for the reviews editor to check for plagiarism from a non written source from a small YouTube video. It makes no sense to fire them

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I don't want to be "that guy" but IGN is just pretty terrible all around.

Good that they pulled the review, but ttuth is that this should NEVER have been published.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
FYI responsibility for this kind of stuff falls more on the editor than the reviewer. Yes the author is responsible for what they wrote, but the editor is responsible for publishing it.
The editor usually doesn't have the game in front of them, so for these kind of details you've got to be able to trust your author. I suppose when giving out a damming score to a rerelease of a popular game, a bit more research might be appropiate, but it likely just comes back to what was the original problem: Borderlands 2 VR is considered to be not important and when you're pressed for time less important titles get the short end of the stick, leading to mistakes.

I'm not a fan of people giving shit to the author and desperately trying to find out who it was, though. What is to be gained by that? Mistakes happen, the article got pulled. Don't try to ruin his reputation because he wrote one shitty review.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The editor usually doesn't have the game in front of them, so for these kind of details you've got to be able to trust your author. I suppose when giving out a damming score to a rerelease of a popular game, a bit more research might be appropiate, but it likely just comes back to what was the original problem: Borderlands 2 VR is considered to be not important and when you're pressed for time less important titles get the short end of the stick, leading to mistakes.

I'm not a fan of people giving shit to the author and desperately trying to find out who it was, though. What is to be gained by that? Mistakes happen, the article got pulled. Don't try to ruin his reputation because he wrote one shitty review.
Yeah, this error seems like something that would stem from lack of experience, and I'd say an editor should scrutinise more work of an inexperienced writer who has given a particularly harsh score.

I know the editor likely wouldn't see the game, but they'd know the circumstances surrounding the review.

Oct 25, 2017
It's also a damm old game at this point being charged $50 for, and Multiplayer whether you subjectively used it or not is a franchise staple and thus the omission is incredibly strange and for most, very disappointing.
It makes this seem like a cash grab.

I didn't I didn't like it. Just said it's not a big deal to me that it's not included in this version.

Oct 25, 2017
It's also a damm old game at this point being charged $50 for, and Multiplayer whether you subjectively used it or not is a franchise staple and thus the omission is incredibly strange and for most, very disappointing.
It makes this seem like a cash grab.

I didn't say didn't like the MP in BL2. Just said it's not a big deal to me that it's not included in this version.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Funny coincidence, yesterday i thought of the review Gametrailers.com did of Motorstorm Apocalypse, where they mention that the scripted destruction sequences doesnt happen online, but they do. They only get triggered by those who are in 1st place however, so my guess is that they didnt invest enough time in online races to notice this. It probably didnt affect the overall review score in any noticeably way though, but its more about having the right information.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I have always hated the Borderlands series and I can openly admit that I have a strong bias against Gearbox but I bought BL2VR regardless to give it a fair shake and continue to support large AAA VR games and even I can say with the utmost confidence that this is far and away well above a 3/10. I would go as far as to say that it's at least a 6/10 and even that would be fairly conservative. That review reads like the reviewer quite literally never got past the menu screen.

This kind of blatant incompetence is almost as egregious as the Filip Miucin stuff albeit an entirely different ethical issue.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
You seriously shouldn't be reviewing VR games if you're not even bothering to look through the options. That's one of the most important aspects of a VR game. Glad they took it down, that's embarrassing.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how big of a difference it would have been for the reviewer if their settings were different. Would that really be enough to turn what they found to be a bad game into a good one? Especially when the defaults are what many people will stick to and how the developers are implicitly expecting people to play the game that way.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's 2018 and people still don't touch the settings in video games. Guys, we are not playing on NES anymore, fucking go through the settings first for fuck's sake.

I swear if these people play on PC they would get screen tearing all the time and won't even do anything about it.

I wonder how big of a difference it would have been for the reviewer if their settings were different. Would that really be enough to turn what they found to be a bad game into a good one? Especially when the defaults are what many people will stick to and how the developers are implicitly expecting people to play the game that way.

Settings can literally be game changing, RDR2 is the best recent example.

Why would anyone want the default deadzone? It's the opposite of responsive.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you want to do a poorly researched half assed playthrough and award a game an 8+, so be it. But if you're going to destroy a game with a 3/10 you better fucking have your facts in order. 3/10 reviews hurt people. Be more responsible.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus christ IGN. This is just getting embarrassing. Posting a review with a score of 3 without even checking options... I know people can make mistakes but FFS this is literally their job. Imagine how much false information these review sites give out that basically destroy some developers. It's scary that you soon can't trust a single word from IGN.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

It would get criticized for no Coop and DLC.
But it looks like the main reason for the very low scores were the controls.

Beside no Coop and DLC it seems to be good VR port.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
It being misinformed and centered around a misunderstanding doesn't make it not based on the reviewer's opinions.
Stop wasting your time and mine by circling around the fact it's a false statement as well. Don't be ridiculous and peddle that shit.

The opinion part becomes irrelevant when at least some people realize it's a false statement. That's why this thread exists. Maybe you missed the memo, some people, maybe not you, think making false statements is not a good thing.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They would know about this, if they played more VR games, because the overwhelming majority of VR games have these options. This is extremely bog standard for VR these days. If IGN wants to be a respected source for VR information, they should have people who know the very basic options that virtually every VR game has.
It's obviously not a o important for them to be a respected source for vr since we already know that vr related content does not get many clicks. They're more focused on content ppl gonna click

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Please point out where I said the reviewer was right and basing their opinion on facts. Completely irrelevant.
I see you chose to go down fighting a pointless fight. Good for you.

"I'm not wrong, I'm technically right!" Just like the reviewer technically has an opinion, but highlighting that rather than the fact it's wrong, cool story bro.

It's OK, you can say the reviewer is wrong also, don't be afraid.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I see you chose to go down fighting a pointless fight. Good for you.

"I'm not wrong, I'm technically right!" Just like the reviewer technically has an opinion, but highlighting that rather than the fact it's wrong, cool story bro.

It's OK, you can say the reviewer is wrong also, don't be afraid.
No, I just made the assumption that your first post was based on logic that I wasn't understanding rather than emotion. I got my answer, which was exactly what I expected, and have nothing further to add. Thank you.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to VR even simple stuff can cause some problems with players. The best thing is to give the max amount of options to let them taylor how to play.

Jumping may make a player feel whoozy but teleportation might not.
This is how VR games are. There has to be a default setting, and they're almost always in favor of reducing motion sickness. Want to change that? Go to settings. Duh. He should've known. The review reads like he hasn't played a VR game before.
Seems the lesson here is to review VR games differently than non VR games.

Because those off by default is good IMO. But I can understand the complaint....if it was a non VR game.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone screen cap the options menu? It sounds like a mess so I can't blame him

Very typical VR comfort options. Must be the difficult labelling like "walk and jump" and "walk speed".

JWK6qgx.jpg

ZW8naiX.jpg

Also bonus image of on-screen prompt during the initial minutes of the game, while claptrap explains the options to you.

TIi78DL.jpg

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's obviously not a o important for them to be a respected source for vr since we already know that vr related content does not get many clicks. They're more focused on content ppl gonna click

...then why have a review of Boarderlands 2 VR at all?

Never mind that you came in here to call a screen you never have even seen before, "a mess." Be less transparent.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
User Warned: unnecessary generalisations
It's things like this that make me have little trust in many reviewers these days. Some so called "Game Journalists" know very little about actually playing games.

Probably why I put more trust in people like Easy Allies and ACG to review games, as they actually play games, are passionate about them and don't do a half arsed job.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember the last time I watched an IGN review when determining whether I wanted a game
Have they ever been a worthwhile source?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
They tell you. The whole introduction has new audio from the robot joking about VR and the ability to change options and be aware it may make you sick.

But it's a VR thread about misinformation in a review so added misinformation is par for the course.
Very typical VR comfort options. Must be the difficult labelling like "walk and jump" and "walk speed".

JWK6qgx.jpg

ZW8naiX.jpg

Also bonus image of on-screen prompt during the initial minutes of the game, while claptrap explains the options to you.

TIi78DL.jpg
This is just inexcusable then, lmao.

Like....How did you get to actually playing the game and miss this.....

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Man couldn't IGN rate it as garbage because it's Single Player Borderlands with none of the DLC for $50 instead of their lack of ability to check safety settings in a VR game?
Yeah I feel like Borderlands 2 VR, after having tried it, still deserves a poor rating (maybe 4/10 5/10) because it is a bare bones unplayable mess. When the Vita version of a game has more going for it than yours, that's when you should know yours in trouble.

I frigger with the settings and indeed you can get it moving much quicker. Of course the trade off is much worse performance, which is the biggest cause of motion sickness in VR.

With safety settings on default, the game performs pretty good. Sadly the second you set the options to allow better agility you notice 2 massive issues. First is how hanky and terrible this game is when moving faster than a snails pace, and second, they dropped the difficulty down a lot. There is no need to increase player speed as the game can be played easily on default settings. And difficulty doesn't adjust when you adjust controls.

Sad that ignore missed those options but as they ruin the already terrible game with janky, motion sickness inducing performance issues, and effectively need the game, IGN was still pretty close to spot on in their review. Terrible port, and new champion holder of "Worst Version of BL2" award. Previously owned by the Vita port which performs much better than the VR port and is more content complete.