• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like I'm not sure the "PlayStation" of that era could even exist today in any meaningful way. Even Nintendo with their massive catalogue struggles with smaller franchises and they're overwhelmingly in a better position than Sony as a company that can take risks without it mattering much. I think people forget just how much Sony hasn't done like terribly well as a company outside of PlayStation for a while, so they're not going to be the type to take tons of risks or keep pumping money into less advantageous projects.

What a weird way to try to justify this decision. You only need to check the latest FY Sony Sales threads by ArmGunar to see how untrue is this statement.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
This is even worse in the end than the VGC sources suggested.
Wow. Way to handle the Japanese side of things. Not.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who bought all of the Studio Japan titles... they were not really great. Even the ones that were good lacked something. I can see why they'd do this. Sucks for the people there who have to go job hunting (which I wouldn't wish on anyone).

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense on a surface level. Instead of spending money on a studio whose track record does not show money making IPs, they could focus on 3rd party relations...I would like to see them invest even more on the 1st party stuff in Japan, but the current PS studio head has yet to exhibit his capability of knowing Japanese gaming

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I understand that people might feel sadness because of the legacy of the studio but its recent output has been lackluster. I don't think it was an issue of budget, I can't imagine the first Astro VR game having a big budget yet it clearly had a spark that showed that Asobi could produce something special. Sometimes things just reach their end of life and it seems that this is Japan Studio's EOL. Jim Ryan shouldn't be blamed for the change in focus from Japan to the west, Playstation has enjoyed enormous success through that shift.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Could also mean they are preparing for some big operation in Japan. Who was the other company reorganized?.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I see it as good news personally. They are consolidating efforts towards the group who had resounding success. Hopefully everything won't disappear but it might be cool to get bigger scale Astro games and what not. Sounds bigger than the usual April shuffles at Japanese companies. As long as the members still got their jobs I count it as a win.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Which often sell in the tens of millions.
I think only GoW did tens(2 tens) of millions. Those games often get reduced to 20$ greatest hits and 3 free pack-in titles for holiday console buyers. Nothing wrong with that strategy, but I don't think the number of "sales" at free/very reduced prices is point to brag about.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Y'all should have bought Rain on PS3, this wouldn't have happened otherwise. Poor Japan Studio, at least Astro Bot is alive and well...for now.

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
I think only GoW did tens(2 tens) of millions. Those games often get reduced to 20$ greatest hits and 3 free pack-in titles for holiday console buyers. Nothing wrong with that strategy, but I don't think the number of "sales" at free/very reduced prices is point to brag about.

The Last Of Us, Uncharted, Horizon and Spider-Man all sold tens of million. And Ghost of Tsushima will follow too. Days Gone has also been pretty succesful, even if we don't have concrete numbers. Sorry but your comparison is just off. Sony Japan is struggling for a while, when it comes to quality, quantity and sales. Astrobot was the only really success story lately, so no wonder they stick with Asobi, which is a new team.
For all the talk about veterans like Toyama and others, what exactly did they bring on the table? And that's not even including all the cancelled projects we barely heard about or don't know.
Business-wise it makes sense, but people rather want to see it as Sony hates Japan and is unfair.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game actually wasn't a resounding success though. It got brought up earlier in the thread, but Astrobot VR and Knack 2 were probably Japan Studios biggest bombs. It was a critic darling though, and maybe that's why Sony is pushing it as hard as they are and centering around that team while getting rid of everyone else.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

A fair point, but these games are successes by every available metric. Commercial success, critical success, audience buzz and attention, driving console sales. I really can't blame Playstation's leadership for wanting more of that. I could see an argument for supporting Japan Studio if it was pumping out prestige projects instead of mainstream juggernauts, similar to how movie studios want both blockbusters and Oscar contenders, but Japan Studio produced neither.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
I would be sad but their output has been non existent. They have been a support studio for years.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Well millions of sales at reduced prices is better than tiny sales at reduced prices like the GR games lol

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I suppose the writing has been on the wall for a while. They seem to have been making big deals with SE in particular, so they prefer to fund exclusivity deals with third party than produce their own stuff. Outside of SE, Capcom, From Software and maybe Namco, Japanese output of AAA games has gone down substantially in the last gen. I know that i bought significantly less Japenese games than during the previous gens.

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
didn't Sony just recently establish external dev at Japan Studio?
sad day, I'm playing GR Remastered right now, should've bought it earlier I guess

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I did bring up that Astro is in a weird spot right now with the push that it's getting since it really hasn't had any real attempt at selling a standalone product yet. Even Rescue Mission was heavily bundled with PSVR units and I don't doubt for a second that they make up a majority of the total sales of the game. Did people love Astro's Playroom enough to drop $50-$70 on a new game? It remains to be seen, but it's an unusual play for them to be so focused on it breaking out when they've had some serious handicaps helping them up until now.

Good point. I don't think it's going to sell really good at full price. There's a high chance Sony will bundle another Astro game with PSVR2 ( the headset ain't coming anytime soon).

SotC and Bloodborne were helped by the support team, which still exists. But now under "PS Studios" branding.

Doubt we will see more collaborations like Bloodborne and SotC tbh. The small number of devs left at Sony are likely merged with other studios and that support team hardly exist anymore.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
This "3rd person self important cinema wannabes" actually sells millions & cultivating awards.

I'm sure those high profile studios sad by this description of some Era user.

tenor.gif

6267a459193c34adc25ecc6cd801e9bc.gif

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Which often sell in the tens of millions.
These are player counts in millions up to Nov 19, 2020 from Gamstat which is no longer updated:

Bend Studio
Days Gone - 9

Guerilla Games:
Killzone Shadowfall - 7.5
Horizon - 21.5

Insomniac
R&C - 12.3
Spiderman - 30.1

Japan Studio:
Gravity Rush 2 - 1.3
Knack 2 - 1.6
Shadow of the Colossus (w/ Bluepoint) - 7.5

Media Molecule
Dreams - 610k

Naughty Dog
The Last of Us - 44.5
Uncharted 4 - 33.5
The Last of Us 2 - 7.2

Pixelopus
Concrete Genie - 170k

Polyphony
GT Sport - 13.3

San Diego Studio
MLB 18 - 2.5
MLB 19 - 5.5
MLB 20 - 1.8

Santa Monica Studio
God of War - 24.7

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
A fair point, but these games are successes by every available metric. Commercial success, critical success, audience buzz and attention, driving console sales. I really can't blame Playstation's leadership for wanting more of that. I could see an argument for supporting Japan Studio if it was pumping out prestige projects instead of mainstream juggernauts, similar to how movie studios want both blockbusters and Oscar contenders, but Japan Studio produced neither.

was japan studio given the same budget to do that? were they allowed the same opportunities to shore up talent and compete in their market?

the mid-2010s was really a solidification of the playstation brand being high-end tech. that's why vita was killed, why playstation classic failed, and why vr lives somehow. story-based western games are guaranteed for prestigious western game of the year awards (and this isn't just sony - rockstar, bioware, cdpr chase this too). but this happens because sony built up an industry around it the same way nintendo built up an industry around mascot platformers, jrpgs, and family-friendly multiplayer games.

there might have been disappointment in how sony japan pushed the ps4, but can't the same be said about the vita in the west, or japan studio games out in the us? did gravity rush's ps4 games receive the same care and attention that naughty dog games or santa monica studios received? i don't think so. and sony wasn't nearly as consistent in finding similar titles to help support an industry around those types of games so they'd be successful either.

and look - that's fine. nintendo did the same thing to their western support studios in the mid-2000s: left field studios, silicon knights, and rare were all abandoned roughly at the same time. meanwhile, retro's development focus was scaled all the way back to a single game at a time - and their more western-styled games were canceled in favor of the the metroid franchise. ultimately, after the n64, due to a change in leadership and with iwata as president, nintendo didn't spend the time to build an audience that enjoyed western games on their consoles. similar to sony now, nintendo tried just doing third-party deals with western studios as a way to compensate for the reduced first-party output: gba/gc connectivity games, rogue squadron iii exclusivity, and special commercials highlighting madden for gamecube, but in the end it was just a market nintendo decided to do without. it was intentional. so is this.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
This shouldn't really be surprising to people when just about every single project they worked on sans From Software games in the modern era didn't really do spectacularly. Gravity Rush got two major pushes and while it was a beautiful little series, it just never went anywhere. Knack worked as a launch title for the PS4, but boy the sequel did almost nothing besides become a meme. Puppeteer was also a late life PS3 game that just didn't go anywhere at all. And Ueda has been gone for almost a full decade now. They were always in a supportive role, but over the past few years, even that has vastly diminished. Sony Japan was once a critical component of Sony's success, but it really has been a while and now they've more or less just got Team Asobi and Polyphony Digital as their Japanese studios.

I'd imagine the kind of operation they had would be just best served reallocating resources around and possibly looking into forming a closer partnership with a studio or opening a brand new one. Like I don't think beefing up Sony Japan was ever going to be a super realistic option when not only had the Japanese teams enjoyed extremely limited success for a fair amount of resource investment in the past, but also just how much talent had long since departed from the studio. At some point you'd just be creating an entirely new studio from scratch anyway. Like I do hate it on a personal level and feel for people losing their jobs, but it just doesn't sound like there was much left to begin with.

This.
I get that people are upset because they like japanese games and the games that Studio Japan has put out in the past but Sony is not doing this because they hate Japan, Japan Studios or japanese games... This is simply a business decision like it was with Studio Loverpool and Evolution, nothing more and nothing less. Studio Japan's output for the most part wasn't that successful financially but it't not like they didn't get their chances. Sony gave them plenty of chances but their games never took off the way Sony might have been hoping.
They see a lot of potential in Astro Bot so they're keeping Team Asobi around and they'll probably expand that studio over the course of the coming years so that's definitely someting to look forward to.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a bummer for sure. I quite liked the Japan Studio games.

But on the other hand i also must say that they didn't create one big hit outside of Astro Bot on their own and that was Team Asobi.

Maybe it's better to use the money to strengthen Team Asobi and outsource more games to other japanese development studios.

I sure enjoyed the time with PS2/Ps3s quirky mid-tier games over the years but in a time where most are pissed when it's not a new and shiny AAA game (see last nights State of Play) i'm afraid it's the right move for Playstation to do.

Jim Ryan is someone wo doesn't seem to have the same love for games of all kind like his predecessors did sadly. But he's knows what he's doing on the business side. Can't blame sony in game of chicken with one of the wealthiest companies on this planet to not lean back and not trying to find success wherever they can.

Indies, 3rd-party exclusives (some timed) and vr-games will be the places where this budget will now go.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Is it really a big loss? Because most of sony japans studio made there game in collaberation with other developers. They could just throw a bag of money at a studio and still develope those games.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really a big loss? Because most of sony japans studio made there game in collaberation with other developers. They could just throw a bag of money at a studio and still develope those games.

the production side of Japan Studio was heavily involved in the creative side of most of those games. They're gone

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I don't care if your 3rd person serious action games sell better, we are losing variety and a lot of possible interesting titles and a lot of people are out of jobs during a pandemic. Stop apologizing for Sony being shitty. There's no positive for consumers here and certainly no positive for the many people being cut loose.

"Fuck the employees, I get more budget for Last of Us!" is just an atrocious attitude.

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
PS4 and Vita already underdelivered in quirky AA Japanese games compared to the PS3 and PSP. Could see it coming, but it doesn't change the fact that these news really hurt. I will forever love Japan Studio for their work on Patapon and Bloodborne among others.

I don't like the direction Sony has been marching in since the PS4 era. I fully understand it, the PS4 was a huge commercial success so obviously they want to double down on their strategy, but I don't like it. :(

Last edited:

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's rather bizarre to be scaling down in some areas where your main competition is exponentially growing.
Content is king in all ways. Quality, diversity and number.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Very sad news, I for one hoped yesterday's news about Japan Studio bleeding talent wasn't an indicator of such a restructuring coming, but here we are...

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
was japan studio given the same budget to do that? were they allowed the same opportunities to shore up talent and compete in their market?

the mid-2010s was really a solidification of the playstation brand being high-end tech. that's why vita was killed, why playstation classic failed, and why vr lives somehow. story-based western games are guaranteed for prestigious western game of the year awards (and this isn't just sony - rockstar, bioware, cdpr chase this too). but this happens because sony built up an industry around it the same way nintendo built up an industry around mascot platformers, jrpgs, and family-friendly multiplayer games.

there might have been disappointment in how sony japan pushed the ps4, but can't the same be said about the vita in the west, or japan studio games out in the us? did gravity rush's ps4 games receive the same care and attention that naughty dog games or santa monica studios received? i don't think so. and sony wasn't nearly as consistent in finding similar titles to help support an industry around those types of games so they'd be successful either.

and look - that's fine. nintendo did the same thing to their western support studios in the mid-2000s: left field studios, silicon knights, and rare were all abandoned roughly at the same time. meanwhile, retro's development focus was scaled all the way back to a single game at a time - and their more western-styled games were canceled in favor of the the metroid franchise. ultimately, after the n64, due to a change in leadership and with iwata as president, nintendo didn't spend the time to build an audience that enjoyed western games on their consoles. similar to sony now, nintendo tried just doing third-party deals with western studios as a way to compensate for the reduced first-party output: gba/gc connectivity games, rogue squadron iii exclusivity, and special commercials highlighting madden for gamecube, but in the end it was just a market nintendo decided to do without. it was intentional. so is this.
Essentially. Like the the scaling back of NST and not utilizing any of the talents that joined the studio and then left, the loss of many western partners Nintendo had at that time, it's all reminiscent of what's happening now with Sony in Japan.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-by Trolling Over Multiple Threads
We only make cinematic walk and talk games around here papi

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017

They didn't get the budget or attention because they didn't deliver in the same way other studios did. A studio like ND didn't just receive a blank cheque from the beginning. They made hits and then got more and more budget. In one of Alanah Pearce's podcasts I heard Troy Baker saying ND had to fight really really hard to get The Last Of Us approved by Sony and that was after they made a hit CB Trilogy and two succesful Uncharted games.

When Sony Japan delivered they got the support from Sony. After Shadow Of the Colossus was a critical hit, Sony sticked a decade (!) with The Last Guardian. Everyone else would have cancelled the game twice. They gave Gravity Rush a second chance on the PS4 with Remastered and 2 after it did poorly on the flopping vita. They even made Knack 2 a thing.
If Sony Japan would have delivered tons of 90+ Metascore games in the last decade, they would still be there, that's why Astrobot is seen as success and that's why they sticking with Asobi and Media Molecule. If their games would have sold 10+ million copies or even 5+ million copies they would be still there too.
But that's not the case, they produced bombs that sold poorly and their games weren't really critically acclaimed either.
And this doesn't include all the stuff that happened behind the doors like cancelled projects and things not coming together. If Sony Japan would be the hidden gem that just needs a bit backing to deliver success story after story I am pretty sure Sony would stick with them, but nothing points to that and Sony knows better whats happening in their studios than everyone else here.

It's a shame that the studio isn't a thing anymore, but like with their UK studios it's hardly an odd decision that Sony is putting the focus elsewhere.