• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
As Clint Eastwood once said, "deserving's got nothin to do with it."

Filip isn't banned from making videos or reviewing games. It's up to the audience to decide if he's credible. In my eyes, he ain't.

There's a lot of very strange opinions on this thread with regards to second chances and forgiveness. That's not up to us to decide. We're not a tribunal.

Yeah the 2nd chance angle was blown to bits with his lack of contrition and extensive catalog of thefts. As I noted upthread, his new video is only apologizing for the stuff he was publicly called out for, there is probably more, we know there is more.

He stole a friend' and fellow youtuber's Octopath Traveller quesitons word for word because he was in a hurry or some jazz and couldn't be bothered to know what the game is about. Sadly SpawnWave deleted the DMs and I'm unsure if there were any archives of it.

The people saying we should give him a second chance are in it for the moral superiority to sneer at people whol are rightfully hurt/angry/distrustful and to appear to be above the fray.

He didn't accidentally steal the Dead Cells review, nor was it a lapse in judgement due to intense pressure of meeting deadlines (which was by the way the original hypothesis many of us went with when this story first broke). He's been stealing and plaigiarizing since before IGN. It's ingrained in how he operates as evidenced by the fact that 3 of 4 or 4/4 articles he apologized for, outside of the Boomstick review, was before his time at IGN.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
When Filip pushes the conspiracy that the media was lying, does the distinction matter?

Good point, at that point he's actively courting a new fandom. I just find it hard he had a huge group of fans after working 10 months at IGN, one that many people admitted not liking.

I mean who knows but it wouldn't matter either way. If he didn't say anything then he didn't say anything.

Fair, he played into a group who attacks in order to defend himself.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
'Pretty sus' Lmao. Want to throw in some more era buzzwords. Why don't you call me problematic. Am I cancelled? Why don't you just reply to this with simply 'yikes'.

All of the above apply, really. Though a word isn't a "buzzword" simply because it hurts your feelings. Also, I didn't know that era was so influential in the writing of Scooby Doo. Apparently, era was creating buzzwords LONG before it existed.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
It brought forth more people to check out his work which was inadvertent but good for him though. I think that's good for these guys that it brought forth this in fact. The initial dead cells reviewer has easily his most watched and Reacted video, a million plus view video and tons of new subscribers because of this fiasco and I think that's quite awesome if anything.

I don't get why you say I'm coming off so cold hearted? Again I don't want to come off like I am a Filip fan or anything of that sort. I do like that he put out the apology and just felt Chris' response on Twitter was a bit over the top IMO. It doesn't mean he's welcome back or that his word isn't worth shit but even if it took a while I at least credit Muicin for swallowing his stubborn pride that he clearly had and put this out there, (maybe) as his final way to say adios.
You come off as cold hearted because you saw a man opening up about harassment and decided that you were going to start criticising them for doing so whilst taking about how good the shitty stuff they went through actually was for their career.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people calling him a journalist? He isn't now and he never was. If someone like Jeff Gerstmann doesn't consider himself a journalist, then neither is Filip.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
He's been listening to feedback on how to do a sincere™ apology.

At this point it doesn't actually matter how many apology videos he makes, he's already demonstrated his insincerity to the full extent that he could.

The fact that people are still saying he should be given a second chance to work a career that people, much better than him, can barely get into is some next level privilege shit, that I cannot wrap my head around.

giphy.gif

This. Outside of the people whom he directly wronged, people were mostly starting to forget about this.

He knows he'll never have a shot at anything resembling a publication again, so the only option remaining is to build his own and this is what he can do to build awareness, by digging up this shit again in a public manner. He just potentially put everybody he fucked over back in the crosshairs.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It brought forth more people to check out his work which was inadvertent but good for him though. I think that's good for these guys that it brought forth this in fact. The initial dead cells reviewer has easily his most watched and Reacted video, a million plus view video and tons of new subscribers because of this fiasco and I think that's quite awesome if anything.

I don't get why you say I'm coming off so cold hearted? Again I don't want to come off like I am a Filip fan or anything of that sort. I do like that he put out the apology and just felt Chris' response on Twitter was a bit over the top IMO. It doesn't mean he's welcome back or that his word isn't worth shit but even if it took a while I at least credit Muicin for swallowing his stubborn pride that he clearly had and put this out there, (maybe) as his final way to say adios.
Ahh yes, nothing like getting harrassed for "exposure." Jesus Christ.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Congratulations on effectively stanning for someone who has proven to be a pathological liar with zero integrity and with zero concern for how his actions might affect the people around him, while pulling out the "actually, while being harassed is bad, at least it resulted in some publicity" card most famously used by GGers against people like Anita simply because you believe Chris' tweets had a touch too much fervor.

You're coming across as more clueless than cold hearted, honestly.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, he comes of looking sort of over the top with his reaction. It's not Filips fault the internets asswipes went after Scullion nor is it his fault he declined Colin Moriartys request to speak with him over political indifference. Would the trolls just stop because Filip said to stop? They aren't lapdogs....

If anything Chris gained as much publicity from this and had people click on his work like Fifa which helped him if at all. Instead he wants to go into a long winded rant rather than take the high road and leave Filip be and move on.
you're straight up victim blaming and it's pathetic
A lot of you wish for this man life to be ruined because of what exactly, he plagiarized to further his career? What a sinful thing to do!

All of us did a lot of things we deeply regret, and if we were ever to get caught we would beg and pray for forgiveness.

You personally don't want to "forgive" him that's fine, but stop acting like he committed the uttermost evil act known to humanity.

P.S: I don't find what he did acceptable nor am I defending it, but there's been a lot of drama about this and it's not worth the energy or the publicity.
stop overreacting

Last edited:

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Never once said I am a Filip fan or a "Stan" and condemned him for what he did but just said its better late than never with the apology. That's all. I had no intention of making light of how people like Chris felt, nor am I using some sort of GG tactic, get lost by attributing me to that nonsense.

Back to pure video game talk I go.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Never once said I am a Filip fan or a "Stan" and condemned him for what he did but just said its better late than never with the apology. That's all. I had no intention of making light of how people like Chris felt, nor am I using some sort of GG tactic, get lost by attributing me to that nonsense.

You are literally using a GG tactic. You are going far, far out of your way (all the way to victim blaming one of the people he plagiarized??) in order to defend a pathological liar, which makes the distinction between fan and non-fan pretty moot.

Maybe in 8 months you'll accept that you've been engaging in some rather shitty rhetoric.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When he's ready to talk about it I would like to know why someone would take others' work, as IGN content does not require research as it's subjective opinion. Was he pressured, was there problems going on outside?
Tell me more about IGN conspiracies to pressure him to complete these reviews (time constraints that everyone else faces) What else could have pushed this beautiful angel to be lightly inspired by others than the evil greedy IGN corporation.
:thinking:
Yikes at the sheer level of hatred and ill will towards this guy. And over what? No one was hurt. He fucked up, probably multiple times. But he's now said sorry, at least give the guy a chance to see if he really has changed/is going to make amends.

And we wonder why the gaming community is so toxic. So many angry people. Imagine if we were talking about a issue with actual substance, I'd actual worry about the level of hatred and aggression you'd direct at people.
Yikes with this reply. Wait a minute. This post looks like the other ones. The post I quoted and another one too. Suspiciously so.

Almost.

As.

If...

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

If you have no intention of downplaying the harassment that Chris has dealt with, then instead of getting mad on the internet about it, listen to the people who are telling you that that is what you're doing and see if what you're doing is actually lining up with the person you're trying to be.

I'm not trying to tell you that you're being shitty to win some kind of competition, or because I get off on it or anything dumb like that, but because I honestly don't believe that, if you took a step back and looked at what you're saying and doing, that you'd be very pleased with it.

But honestly, maybe I shouldn't give you the benefit of the doubt. That whole "I guess I just won't ever talk about this" thing at the end there is so goddamn typical of this kind of posting. It's why so many people stay so silent about harassment. You've entered this thread, talked about how much you dislike how someone has spoken out against harassment, and when faced with criticism you run away for another person to tame your place the next time this crops up. You could learn but you instead decide to flaunt the fact that you refuse to, because you just want to focus on games I guess, or at least, that's what you've decided to now after going outside of games to act this way.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You got called out specifically for your bullshit that justified harassment. An identified alt-right tactic popularized by GamerGate. That and the 'Back to video games I go!' at the end there.

Ironically you're talking about all this as an anonymous internet identity.

If you'd been around when this GG shit was at its height would you say 'Well Quinn was harrassed anyway but isn't it better for her because she gained a new progressive following and the media payed attention to her?' (I guess so since you said pretty much the same thing here.)

Ain't no one falling for your bullshit.

Also cya around. Please don't ever come back to 'serious talk' since you've shown you can't handle conversations. You certainly don't have the maturity.

Oct 27, 2017
When did I say that? I am saying he's blaming Filip over shit he either did for himself by declining to speak with Colin and then hashing out the reason why in the Twitter verse and then saying that Filip is to blame for his legion of "fans" to go after him in DMs. Again, those fools would have harassed Chris either way.

You're claiming that Chris got attention from the plagiarism and that benefited him. What was the point of your comment, then?

Also, don't talk about "Colin" as some sort of force of good. There's a reason discussion about him is banned here.

Edit: Oh, sorry. Didn't notice all the GamerGate tactics you were employing. Yeah, you don't fool anyone.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
which is why he deserves a second chance...he knows that anything he writes going forward will be under extra scrutiny...so he'd have to be a total idiot to even think about doing something like that again...this is not an unforgivable offense...he deserves a chance to continue his career

Nope. My friends who teach have pointed out that students who cheat will do it again and again if they aren't punished.

If anything, this guy will serve as a great example in writing classes of why plagiarism is so bad. Filip's foolishness could very well contribute to helping generations of writing students. That's about all I'd say he's good for.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These "second chance" posts are misguided at best. What does he have to offer the industry that he should be given any number of chances?

There are actual people with talent trying to break into the industry.

Last edited:

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So here is the problem... why would ANYONE go to him to give him that chance? He is at a tremendous disadvantage now. I can't think of anyone off of the top of my head who is less credible. I'm not even sure that is possible... Also, a chance at what? He certainly shouldn't be given another shot at a major (or minor, for that matter) publication. It would be atrocious to pick him over anyone who hasn't heavily plagiarized. Why would I give his channel a chance? Youtube is littered with quality games channels. There is more content there than you could ever watch, so why give any of your time to someone without a shred of credibility?

Honestly, he should change his career path. He should choose something that doesn't depend on integrity or credibility, as his is permanently gone.

I disagree...I think he deserves a chance to rebuild his career by working at a smaller company and letting him prove himself...some of you guys are really extreme with your views...no more chances because he made a mistake and lied about it?...everyone has made mistakes in life, some have gotten caught and others haven't...he reacted poorly after getting caught which is understandable as he was probably afraid of the mob mentality especially when dealing with online journalism

if he messes up again it's on him but let's not give him the death penalty over this

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nope. My friends who teach have pointed out that students who cheat will do it again and again if they aren't punished.

If anything, this guy will serve as a great example in writing classes of why plagiarism is so bad. Filip's foolishness could very well contribute to helping generations of writing students. That's about all I'd say he's good for.

he has been punished...he was fired...students caught cheating are usually warned or even expelled from school...so everything has consequences...but do the cheating students get permanently expelled from going to college ever again?...no...they just apply/transfer to another school...that's the perfect analogy for some of the extreme views that I'm seeing in this thread

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Watched his video and I guess his apology is only slightly better than nothing. However, that would only really be the case if this was his final video before moving on to a different field. From his video it seems his intent is to continue pursuing a career in talking about video games. He's free to try to grow his YouTube channel, but he doesn't deserve a second chance at a publication and won't ever be getting one.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
I disagree...I think he deserves a chance to rebuild his career by working at a smaller company and letting him prove himself...some of you guys are really extreme with your views...no more chances because he made a mistake and lied about it?...everyone has made mistakes in life, some have gotten caught and others haven't...he reacted poorly after getting caught which is understandable as he was probably afraid of the mob mentality especially when dealing with online journalism

if he messes up again it's on him but let's not give him the death penalty over this
"Oh, no I accidentally typed up someone else's review and worded it differently.

Oh no, I accidentally put my name as the writer.

Oh no, I accidentally hit send.

Oh no, I accidentally did that over and over again."

Man, listening to this defense force, you'd think Filip is somehow ENTITLED to having a career in games journalism. Like the idea of saying he should get a job in some other industry is the most heartless thing in the world. He stole from people. Multiple times. He denied it and painted a narrative that the victims of his plagiarizing were liars that cost him his job/attention hungry. And now, he wants to come back and try to pick up like nothing happened.

If his apology is sincere, that's great. But he's going to have to do more than just put up a video to make up for what he did and he definitely shouldn't be allowed back at any outlet with his record.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

in your mind is breaking into the industry easy? does he deserve a second chance over someone who is talented that hasn't gotten their first? tell us what this guy has to offer over literally anyone else.

also get out of here with that death penalty shit

Last edited:

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
When he's ready to talk about it I would like to know why someone would take others' work, as IGN content does not require research as it's subjective opinion. Was he pressured, was there problems going on outside?
he's a lazy asshole.

This apology doesn't feel genuine me considering he singled out only the most well known outlets, not the Neogaf post about joycon or Wikipedia entry, nor did he apologize to people who called him out and then he tried to turn people against them like Jason

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, but why would anyone hire him? Once again, what does he have to offer over someone that is looking for a break and hasn't plagiarized?

Taking his past into consideration is NOT a death penalty. It is due diligence.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Why do you feel he deserves another chance? He didn't just make one mistake. He made a series of mistakes.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
he has been punished...he was fired...students caught cheating are usually warned or even expelled from school...so everything has consequences...but do the cheating students get permanently expelled from going to college ever again?...no...they just apply/transfer to another school...that's the perfect analogy for some of the extreme views that I'm seeing in this thread

And he can find work in another field that isn't journalism.

In reference to your other post: plagiarism is kind of a death sentence in just about any field that relies on writing. Have you ignored all the posts outlining how this guy threw away his second and third chances by lying and even trying to throw doubt on his own field?

He did all this himself and then doubled down. Others have pointed out that he did damage to game journalism by trying to portray people accusing him as just looking for click bait.

As many others have also pointed out, game journalism is not easy to get into. There are plenty of other people out there who have far more to contribute than he does. He's not entitled to a career.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

Can you give me one good reason he should be given a fifth chance instead of any of the dozens of people trying to break in to the industry being given their first?

Because that's always a detail the people trying to equate not hiring a plagiarist to murder seem to skip over.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Why do you feel he deserves another chance? He didn't just make one mistake. He made a series of mistakes.

And to call them mistakes would be under-selling it. He purposefully stole material from other peers and passed it off as his own multiple times and then double downed when caught.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think he deserves a chance to rebuild his career by working at a smaller company and letting him prove himself...

Why?

no more chances because he made a mistake and lied about it?...

This isn't making a mistake and lying about it. You're purposefully downplaying what he did for some reason. This is a repeated pattern of knowing fraud. When confronted with it, he didn't lie, he lashed out and accused everyone else of lying and dared people to look into him. When incontrovertible proof was presented, he stayed silent and then tried to sneak his way back without apologizing or even acknowledging what happened. Then, when that didn't work, he now offers an apology to companies, not individuals, eight months later.

everyone has made mistakes in life, some have gotten caught and others haven't...

I sincerely wonder what horrible things you all are getting up to at work. Sure, I may mess up and forget to send a file, or use the wrong formul or whatever from time to time, but I don't knowingly defraud my workplace for months, costing them money and social standing for my bad actions. This isn't a "mistake", this was professional fraud, with sustained intent.

Why are we allowing him to mess up yet another time? Why are you so interested in conflating "he shouldn't be a video game personality anymore" with "we should put him to death"?

What does Filip offer that we need to overlook his complete lack of morals or empathy for yet another time, that someone else can't offer?

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to print this crystalline sagacity out and stick it to the ceiling above my bed to reread every morning.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of you wish for this man life to be ruined because of what exactly, he plagiarized to further his career? What a sinful thing to do!

All of us did a lot of things we deeply regret, and if we were ever to get caught we would beg and pray for forgiveness.

You personally don't want to "forgive" him that's fine, but stop acting like he committed the uttermost evil act known to humanity.

P.S: I don't find what he did acceptable nor am I defending it, but there's been a lot of drama about this and it's not worth the energy or the publicity.
He didn't commit the "utmost evil," but he can never be trusted as a media voice again. People hate on him because he's trying to get his YouTube channel going again.

No. He doesn't get to be a public figure anymore. He needs to go away.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

Who the fuck his asking for the death penalty here? Stop with these ridiculous false equivalencies