• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
If you want my guess, he probably isn't much of a writer in the first place, ignorant of what constitutes plagiarism or knew what he was doing but gambled that no one would catch him.

so maybe it wasn't that he couldn't work fast enough but that he was incapable of the work in the first place?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The feeling of guilt chases you forever so I can see that he ended up doing it anyway.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is from the linked article and it's such horseshit. If you are a driving instructor and get caught teaching while drunk, wrecking a car due to your negligence there doesn't "need to be a road for redemption." You proved that you are not to be trusted with the job you had. It's not a god given right to work in the video game industry. He's shown, without a doubt, that he doesn't belong there and that he has nothing of value to offer. He has been shown the door and rightfully so. There is absolutely zero need for him to have "redemption".
Fucking this so much. I mean heck he demonstrated he has some skills with video editing, why wouldn't he try find work on that field instead?

Oct 25, 2017
What does this guy even bring to the table that isn't provided by dozens of others who actually have integrity? He never demonstrated he was an asset to the industry in the first place. Why should anyone care about his struggle for redemption?

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
getting away with plagiarizing once makes each subsequent act of plagiarism easier to justify to yourself

IGN deadlines didn't force him to plagiarism, he was used to plagiarizing well before then
Ding ding ding. He outright plagiarized his goddamn Linkedin profile before he even got the job.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is from the linked article and it's such horseshit. If you are a driving instructor and get caught teaching while drunk, wrecking a car due to your negligence there doesn't "need to be a road for redemption." You proved that you are not to be trusted with the job you had. It's not a god given right to work in the video game industry. He's shown, without a doubt, that he doesn't belong there and that he has nothing of value to offer. He has been shown the door and rightfully so. There is absolutely zero need for him to have "redemption".
Yep. It wasn't even a one time thing, the dude clearly has tendencies and/or disorders that make him very unfit for the field. Besides, it's not like we're sending him to the gulags or something. The dude came from a YT background, so he clearly has some skills for hosting and video editing. As someone already mentioned, he should really pursue that, instead

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Good lord who cares anymore. Let's all leave this dude in the rearview and not play into his apology tour.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Filip is very disingenuous. I'd be upset if I got caught stealing someone's work, but his level of disingenuity and faux repentance seems disproportionate, Chris Scullion didn't kill any of his loved ones. Filip as a reporter has an influence on others and his extreme reaction could (and have) inspire toxic rage attacks on the guy - that's not okay.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this dude. He probably is only doing this because he realizes his career and relevancy are dwindling into nothing. He doesn't deserve attention. He doesn't deserve a career in games. Let him go flip burgers or something.

Dec 20, 2017
As someone with a background in journalism and public relations (not video game industry) who has been involved in the hiring process, I just wanted to leave some thoughts about him being "allowed" back into games media. He could do whatever he likes on his own, but I would never, under any circumstances, hire someone with his reputation for a position related to content creation. For a crappy, minimum wage internship I got nearly 50 applicants, and quite honestly, more than half of them would have probably done a pretty good job. Filip has good editing skills, but he's going up against many others who do as well. The difference is that whoever hires him would never be able to trust that his work is original, and all it would take is perhaps one busy day filled with deadlines for Filip to fall into old habits. It's just easier to give the job to someone else without all that baggage. Nothing to do with not liking the guy.

Again, it's nothing groundbreaking -- just my 2 cents.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Maybe I'm just a big softie, but I hope we forgive him.

He fucked up. Repeatedly. He hurt his outlet's reputation. His friends and coworkers felt betrayed by his actions. But ultimately, he did something that cost him a job with major opportunities. Jose Otero and Audrey Drake, people who were in his position before him, moved on to work at Nintendo. Filip won't get anywhere near that now, and deservedly so.

However, he's done his sentence. He's been punished. He's been put through the wringer by gamers for 8 months now. This apology seemed sincere. I don't know why it took 8 months, maybe he needed some time to come to terms with himself, his thoughts and his ego.

No one has faced permanent harm from what he did. IGN is doing fine now. His NVC podcast is doing well. Everything is okay. Maybe we should practice forgiveness now. You don't have to watch his content. You don't have to support him, either with your views or with your money, but let's stop dog piling him. He's a human being after all.
Nice to see a kind heart in this forum lol, going against the standard mob mentality here

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
He's an idiot who has ruined any chance of a career by stealing the work of others and then pretending he didn't

Finally admitting what he did isn't going to restore any integrity, more so when it's the best part of a year late

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I dont trust him. Maybe this is a desperate attempt to recuperate personal losses, whatever. IMO, this means nothing.

But at the same time, rehabilitation takes time, maybe this is sincere.

How do we decide how much time personal betterment takes, if its sincere, or if a man or woman is ever redeemable?

These kinds of things are so grey to me.

people are so mean to each other; doubly so on the net. it's a sickness. this scullion person does not have to forgive the plagiarist - that's their prerogative. but the way they did it just added more bile to the water.

there's no victory here. only more cruelty.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I watched it. It did not feel sincere, specially since I saw that his videos from one yeaf ago were getting hundreds of thousands of views and his more recent videos are getting 20 to 40 thousand at most.
What I would respect at least was if he went to any of the outlets he wronged, or the guy who wrote the dead cells review he stole, and offered an interview to them on their channels that they could monetize, and be completely open on any questions they had. That way he could give back to them a little with the monetization money and be able to explain in depth his thinking, and not say "I will be original" in the end, which means shit. He was vague in showing he understands the real scope of the damage he did, 8 months too late.

I ignored him after it all happened, and came back for this one video where he had the chance to maybe gather some positive attention back but it failed, again.

Back to not thinking about him again.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I think he should be forgiven

I also think he should never be hired to work in journalism again. In my experience dealing with good or aggressive liars, I've found if he was capable of acting like that then going on the offensive he is likely to return to those habits.

He sat back and let his minions go on the attack in his honor.

Last edited:

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
*Edit: I actually do understand why he isn't allowed back in video games media as he has essentially destroyed all credibility. I still think he should be able to learn from and grow from his mistake.

He can, in a different field. That said this apology likely only came because he was not making money off of denying the crime.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I believe in second chances, but he had his and chose to instead double down. Even with a 3rd chance he still didn't take responsibility. This isn't a case where rehabilitation, as I've seen others reference, applies. He's an adult, he didn't need 8 months to understand stealing is wrong.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I'm not sure I'd say I forgive him, I just dont care

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Dude needs to actually start building up a credible portfolio he can actually call his own before he can even start think about recovering any sort of reputation in the industry. Even then, the way he doubled and tripled down only tells me this dude isn't worth the shot. He blew whatever good will he had by inciting his fanbase to go after others and challenge the integrity of others to save his own ass.

Lame attempt by a lamer person.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i was going to say, eh, maybe its ok we do forgive him - even if it took 8 months...

then i saw chris's tweets. ok. yeah, i'm fine if this guy disappears into obscurity.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I never harboured any ill will toward him, so there's nothing to forgive. I was just baffled by how huge of a dumbass he was and entertained by the fallout, which he only made worse for himself.

For all I care, he's more than welcome to look for a new job in the gaming media. I doubt he'll find one, but if he does, I'll know to never pay attention to that site because their credibility will immediately be shot. And that's not "not forgiving" him, it's not forgetting what he did.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Dude needs to actually start building up a credible portfolio he can actually call his own before he can even start think about recovering any sort of reputation in the industry. Even then, the way he doubled and tripled down only tells me this dude isn't worth the shot. He blew whatever good will he had by inciting his fanbase to go after others and challenge the integrity of others to save his own ass.

Lame attempt by a lamer person.

Whatever portfolio he could built up will always be met with a side eye (and with good reason). Outside of his own youtube channel, he'll never have a career in media.

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Better late than never.

Whether he's genuine or not, I don't really care. I've no intention of engaging with his content (nor did I prior to his plagiarism anyway) but I believe in giving people chances to be better . So, optimistically, I'd like to hope he's learned from his mistakes, and refrains from any similar actions in the future. No sense demonizing the man forever if he can demonstrate he's learned from it and actively works to be better.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I hope he never gets the audience/clicks/forgiveness he thinks he still deserves.

Yikes at the sheer level of hatred and ill will towards this guy. And over what? No one was hurt. He fucked up, probably multiple times. But he's now said sorry, at least give the guy a chance to see if he really has changed/is going to make amends.

And we wonder why the gaming community is so toxic. So many angry people. Imagine if we were talking about a issue with actual substance, I'd actual worry about the level of hatred and aggression you'd direct at people.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
"Take a running fuck" is an old phrase, TBQH. It's not new. Same thing as "take a flying fuck."

As far as forgiving Muicin, that's easy to do. On the flip side, I don't want to support him or his work in any way.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes at the sheer level of hatred and ill will towards this guy. And over what? No one was hurt. He fucked up, probably multiple times. But he's now said sorry, at least give the guy a chance to see if he really has changed/is going to make amends.

And we wonder why the gaming community is so toxic. So many angry people.
Yeah the people who don't want someone stealing others content and benefit from that are the toxic ones.
Not the douchebag that stole from the start and took him 8 month to apologize and then not even to the ones he
stole from, but only as a public stunt

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

And we wonder why the gaming community is so toxic. So many angry people.
And over what? No one was hurt.

From the tweets in one of the posts you quoted:

Your insistence on lying about the situation caused it to grow arms and legs, leading to events like Colin Moriarty asking to interview me, me refusing and a bunch of pricks sending me more private abuse. Had you apologised in the first place you'd have saved me a week of shit.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

And we wonder why the gaming community is so toxic. So many angry people. Imagine if we were talking about a issue with actual substance, I'd actual worry about the level of hatred and aggression you'd direct at people.

*Ha got em no wonder the gaming community is toxic!*
Dude his actions directed effected people even causing some to receive threats, the fuck is this hand having comment.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I have no ill will towards the guy. He doesn't owe me an apology. I think the things he did (steal from his peers, compare himself to a cancer victim) speak to his character enough. He's young. Maybe he learns from this. Maybe he doesn't. I don't care. The people he actually harmed can decide if they want to forgive him. But what he's absolutely not owed is for people to forget what he did. In that sense, in terms of his professional life, nobody owes him a 2nd chance, and that doesn't make them wrong. The fact that he plagiarized is going to follow him forever, and that's the bed he made. He can go off and do any number of other things with his career, but any attempts to get back into games media or media in general the fact that he stole work and passed it off as his own is always going to be brought up.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us.​
- Andrew Ryan

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If i had to guess, i'd say he's staging some sort of comeback and decided to lead with this.

I don't think it would go well for him.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yeah the people who don't want someone stealing others content and benefit from that are the toxic ones.
Not the douchebag that stole from the start and took him 8 month to apologize and then not even to the ones he
stole from, but only as a public stunt
From the tweets in one of the posts you quoted:
*Ha got em no wonder the gaming community is toxic!*
Dude his actions directed effected people even causing some to receive threats, the fuck is this hand having comment.
No, the question isn't about whether plagiarism is Ok. That's a strawman on your part. No is disputing that plagiarism (or his conduct in handling it) is unacceptable and this individual has also now accepted that. The issue is how we now deal with this individual now that he's shown his willingness to repent. Wishing him total and utter eternal failure is an INSANE overreaction. What did he rape and murder someone? Why can't we give him at least the opportunity at 2nd chance?