• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which next-gen console/system do you want the most?

• Nintendo

• Google

• Microsoft

• Sony

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Currently I don't feel the hype for next-gen. I fear that this will be even worse than the Switch situation where we get enhanced port after enhanced port. Or even worse like those Xbox rumors that there aren't any exclusive games for the new Xbox but only enhanced Xbox One X games... I am still looking forward to the PS5 the most because I really need God of War 2 and Horizon 2 in my life. I also hope that we get a new Naughty Dog franchise and more first party games not too long into PS5s life cycle.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I have been buying only Playstation consoles since PS3, when i decided i would only buy 1 console per generation, and looking at the job Sony is doing i will keep that way for next gen as well.
PC as a backup support, as i dont intend to build a powerfull gaming machine.

Zero interest in Stradia and any Microsoft console since they games can be played on PC, slight interest on Nintendo consoles, but not enough to justify a console purchase as thers only a few games i would like to play and great majority of Nintendo IPs are just not for me.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS5 baby. I'll get the next xbox also who am I kidding. But the PS5 will be my main console.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
All of those games were boring so I have zero interest in the sequels.
Do you even played any of them to begin with.
I mean if you was talking about HZD only, i could even agree with you, i liked the game but i actually found it a bit boring at times, but GOW and any of the Naughty Dog games are just great full of great moments.

Last edited:

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
When Sony announced BC compatibility with PS4 all the thing's holding be back from buying PS5 were gone.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Do you even played any of them to begin with.
I mean if you was talking about HZD only, i could even agree with you, i liked the game but i actually found it a bit boring at times, but GOW and any of the Naughty Dog games are just great full of great moments.
Yeah, I sold Horizon and stopped playing GOW. I did finish Uncharted 4 but it just dragged on and I don't see the appeal. I do like the Last of Us though but I hope Part Two is the end.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have to give credit to MS though, they made PS5 a lot better by using BC as a big selling point. Now Sony sees the importrance.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
OK but to put things into perspective those games sold less than 15% of the total userbase.

Is that not the same for most big games not name GTAV.
Even the biggest games that people say drive system sales is a small % when compare to total hardware sales .
At the end of the day all software matter some more than others and having big IPs help sell the system .

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The real question for me though: is my ps5 going to sound like a damned jet engine after a few months of use? I really, really, really want to see someone ask about that when the PR rounds start for this thing.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I have no reason to buy Xbox hardware with a PC now. Sony has always had the better exclusives to boot.

Microsoft can drop whatever super duper console hardware they want and it doesn't move the needle for me.

The real question for me though: is my ps5 going to sound like a damned jet engine after a few months of use? I really, really, really want to see someone ask about that when the PR rounds start for this thing.

New hardware should have better thermal performance and I'm sure they'll take previous gen feedback into account as well.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OK but to put things into perspective those games sold less than 15% of the total userbase.

Was that supposed to make it look bad? lol

You would be hard to find 10+ million sellers in the multiplatform AAA scenario, let alone exclusive (singleplayer only!!!) games (one of them a new IP btw)

Actually, I dont think there is even any game right now on PS4 with an attach rate that goes way beyond that except for GTA 5 which is literally the biggest entertainment launch ever and sold 100+ million units.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Have to give credit to MS though, they made PS5 a lot better by using BC as a big selling point. Now Sony sees the importrance.

Because introducing BC surely gave XBOX One a huge amount of new sales momentum?

Or - maybe - they just thought of a way to migrate those 94mn PSN MAUs as seamless as possible to their next platform, especially those 35mn+ PS+ subs, with their digital libraries. But hey, what do I know... Seriously, BC for PS5 was a no-brainer right from the start of its development.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
I will never buy an xbox console if they release all games on PC, last gen i bought x360 because it had many great exclusives

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, Sony has fostered good will for the next generation based on their first-party output this gen even more so than they did last gen. Like it's astounding. Just goes to show, even with all these various concerns about Sony's decision making on consumer policies and features missing from their console, what matters most is the primary differentiator. You plant the seeds of Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon and Death Stranding and it seals the deal for sequels on next-gen hardware that people will buy it to play.

Even with all the deserved good will Xbox has gained this gen, and strives they've made to not repeat the same mistakes that cost them this generation, it just puts them back on the starting line to make a solid impression. It's all intentional of course but with Xbox exclusives being on PC and them not even having next-gen exclusives for the first few years there's not much reason for the same excitement to follow through to a new console like there is a new PlayStation.

It was a good PR angle for Microsoft and good for consumers, but I don't think you can say it inspired Sony to "see the light" given the BC research and patents filed by Cerny, and what I've always seen as an act of common sense considering how important digital sales have become, how easy it would be to sell PS4 content to PS5 players, how much money is made from GaaS audiences that they'll not want to cut off momentum for, and also not sacrificing all the strides they've made with PSVR - where not having BC for that would be resetting their competitive advantage to zero.

Last edited:

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Sony bless. On a more serious note while I'm getting the PS5 day 1 I'm also interested in the next iteration of the Xbox as the 1X is my favorite Microsoft console by far.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

I think BC with the PS4 was a given considering Sony would have to be dumber and more arrogant than the PS3 days to try and get away with a hard restart on the PS5 and cut off their entire playerbase from the content they bought on the PS4.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
i'm always gonna have a nice pc, so i can get MS scloosives on there now and nintendo has disappointed me in their hardware fairly consistently even though i love their games, so i vote sony.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
It's not surprising and it's also the same way I voted. I don't have any interest in streaming games, Nintendo do their own thing and are usually a generation or more behind in tech and there really isn't a need to buy a Microsoft console anymore if I can play the same games on PC. The PS4 has been the place to go for exclusives and the PS5 will continue that trend from the looks of it.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
PS4 shows SONY is about GAMING. Naughty Dog, and Guerilla games are incredible talented, and if they can keep it all together they'll win next gen

Superplex

Nov 4, 2017
<3
I am a one console person and am already too invested in the Xbox ecosystem to be worried about any other console

Plus I hate the Playstation controllers

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Not surprised, have 3 of the consoles but the PS4 is really the only one I consistently use because of the games that are out and the games coming out. Have no reason to stop if Sony plan on being amazing again.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
The last half of this gen killed their momentum a bit, though, while Microsoft has been full force ahead after their awful start, I expected it to be even.

In what world is this true? If anything the last half of the gen made them the clear frontrunner for next gen. Spidey 2, HZD2 and God of War 2 will shit on anything MS has and i hated all three of them.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Unsurprised by the results though this site's poll is a bit more lopsided. PS4 is the best selling console this generation and Sony thus far hasn't really given much reason to switch to different brand with strong software support and backwards compatibility. Software is actually one of the weak points of other companies during end cycle of consoles. Personally, switch is already satisfying for me on Nintendo front and not really interested in new hardware anytime soon, pretty much use gamepass and play Xbox exclusives on PC now and Microsoft spending more time and effort in this area doesn't give me much reason to pick up their dedicated gaming hardware and I play all multiplatform games on PC as it's cheaper digitally. I only play and buy consoles for exclusive and the output Sony has put out has been more than enough to purchase it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Honestly, all I want out of these next-gen systems is proper backwards compatibility (especially from Sony).

They tried to put in the extra effort of adding trophies to PS2 games and all sorts, no one needs that. I wish I could pop my favourite PS2 games into my PS4 and have em run. I know its a lot to ask since it's a shite ton of work to get emulators running but Microsoft have smashed it with their implementation of backwards compatibility.

Thankfully, I'll always have emulators on PC and if not then I can just run em from my modified PS2. To sum this up, I basically want a 4K capable PS2 which I guess isn't really a pressing issue.

Dropping an announcement that the PS5 plays all old PS games would be the 2019 equivalent of the 2013 Boyes game-sharing video and I hope that Sony realizes that.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Honestly don't care too much about the power of next gen consoles, as long as its not night and day, Sony's first party games this gen have been SO much better than Microsoft I wouldn't consider an xbox really so am 100% in PS5 boat
.3rd party you can play anywhere, so as long as they look pretty good on PS5 I am all in for ps5.
If Stadia has a subscription service you can cancel anytime thats not crazy expensive I would consider it as a second option to just try out a few new games instantly here at work on my good connection on lunchbreaks etc to play games like DOOM Eternal instantly for an hour or so. Its a low risk thing to try if its cheap and you can cancel any time.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
"Public prefers product they know nothing about over other product they know nothing about"

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is still early mid cycle with the Switch. Their next gen console will follow 2-3 years after PS5/NextBox. It's too soon for people to be excited for that.