• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which next-gen console/system do you want the most?

• Nintendo

• Google

• Microsoft

• Sony

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 25, 2017
Sony always has it in them to botch a lead or do something really stupid.
And this is coming from someone whose primary console has always been Playstation.

So yeah, I'm not gonna make any predictions about who wins next gen.

All Sony has to do is not be stupid and they should have a huge advantage. But we'll see.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Even though I did not own an Xbox console this generation (PS4 and Switch only), I am most excited about the next hardware from MS than Sony's. They have been hitting all the right notes in my book and I think they may have a very special product in their hands.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the rumor that no exclusives will come to the next Xbox, I think if it's true and it's known to more people the poll will even be more skewed.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
New games is something that I don't think needs mentioning, it's kind of like the default reason why you move over to another console anyway. I'm always more excited about the other features a console has to offer.

Makes sense but still i would want BC with improvements (frame rate, resolution etc), not just a 1:1 "copy". But thats probably easier said than done with ps3 probably being the hardest

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Makes sense but still i would want BC with improvements (frame rate, resolution etc), not just a 1:1 "copy". But thats probably easier said than done with ps3 probably being the hardest
For sure, bumps to the resolution, more stable frame rates and such are all good. I just don't see the need of having trophy support for PS2 games which Sony did with their PS2 on PS4 titles. That extra effort probably wasn't necessary and might be one of the reasons why they've hardly touched BC for that system but that's just my theory.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
These results make some sense to me. I personally have no need for the next Xbox, as I'm building a way-overkill-completely-fiscally-irresponsible PC this year that should easily run any Microsoft Studios game far better than their next console, and given their recent commitment to releasing their games on PC, the console would be redundant. The Switch just came out, so I can't see people champing at the bit for the next Nintendo console with this one being so fresh and new. Sony, on the other hand, has been firing on all cylinders, releasing hit after hit, and has managed their messaging perfectly this gen. It just seems logical for the poll to swing the way it does.

That said, I'm super hyped for MS's E3 conference, which I believe will be one for the ages. I can't wait to see what they have planned for next gen. I'm psyched for the continuing expansion of GamePass on the PC, and look forward to subscribing once a critical mass of games has been built up on the service. I'm simultaneously most excited for Sony's hardware and software, while highly anticipating Microsoft's services.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I voted Microsoft because:
  1. Xbox division's recent shopping spree introduced a couple of very promising quality studios
  2. I want to take advantage of the Game Pass (exclusives and 3rd party games alike)
  3. my laptop is too weak for next gen and I don't really want to build a new pc yet
PS 5 will be bought once the new Horizon game has been released

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Definitely Sony as their first party games are my favorite as a lover of cinematic, narrative-driven games.

I'll definitely have Nintendo as well as I enjoy several of their first party franchises and have a lot of nostalgia from the NES/SNES/N64 eras. GC, Wii, Wii U and Switch got/get used a fraction as much as the other platforms I had that generation, but I was still glad I had/have them when the big exclusives I care about come out.

MS is just a matter of whether I upgrade my PC or not. That's just dependent on whether I feel I need a 3rd/4th (counting PC and Xbox separate) platform. I have it now and haven't used the PC (or Xbox games on it) as much as I thought I would as I'm gaming less and PS4 and Switch get most of my time as I like those exclusives the most and my friends are on PS4 for online multiplats.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There should be a none option. With xbox games coming to PC I really am only looking to upgrade to PC moving forward. Ps5 if BB2 comes out, and the next nintendo system is a ways away. Google needs to really fucking wow me to get me on board and have incredible exclusives as well which seems unlikely.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 all the way for the amazing first party exclusives.
Gaming PC for the rest. Super easy choice, same as this generation. ;)

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
If you don't like people expressing there views, you don't have to come here.

Shouldn't you be saying that to the comment he was replying to as well saying that the site is biased, say he doesn't have to come here either? Should edit it in so it goes both ways otherwise it just looks like you're trying to police one person.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I know that. And my question still remains. It's not a device you have to buy, like a console, but an online service.
Yeah, it's like PSNow, but even less tied/limited by devices (on paper anyway, PSNow could be on more devices too, but they decided to cut mobile, TVs, PS3 and Vita). It should have exclusives and stuff too. Google are setting up studios for it.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because mainstream are not fully aware now
But when parents will know that PS5 allows their kids to play PS4 games they still own physically or digitally, the choice to get a PS5 will be fast

Do you have any evidence to support this? In truth it's a mute point because Sony is doing BC but outside of the core audience BC doesn't seem to be a factor. Again check the comment section of the actual article, those casual ign members don't seem to care bout it at all.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Sony because it has the exclusives & I can play the Microsoft games on my gaming PC.

Feb 10, 2018
Shouldn't you be saying that to the comment he was replying to as well saying that the site is biased, say he doesn't have to come here either? Should edit it in so it goes both ways otherwise it just looks like you're trying to police one person.

Theres a difference between stating a fact and Somone complain because that fact is being stated.
No one is "crying" about the PlayStation bias, here.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Do you have any evidence to support this? In truth it's a mute point because Sony is doing BC but outside of the core audience BC doesn't seem to be a factor. Again check the comment section of the actual article, those casual ign members don't seem to care bout it at all.
Nope just my thoughts
But I guess, it depends on marketing

Like the fast loading Sony want to push, if they communicate hard about this, it can become a huge game changer
And in era of digital, if they communicate about this feature (BC), this can lock many users and especially casual users on PS5

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
71% of Era are most excited for PS5 vs 53% of the general internet. Nice to have some quantifiable numbers that reflects Era's bias towards Sony.

What's insecure about it? I adore my PS4 but it gets old to keep hearing people pretend that there isn't a bias on this forum.

I feel like bias is being misused here. All you've concluded is more people are interested in a next gen PlayStation. That's not proving any sort of bias.

The thing to note about bias is that it's prejudice not preference. And it's usually done in an unfair way.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nope just my thoughts
But I guess, it depends on marketing

Like the fast loading Sony want to push, if they communicate hard about this, it can become a huge game changer
And in era of digital, if they communicate about this feature (BC), this can lock many users and especially casual users on PS5

In the beginning of this generation hardly anyone said BC was important, what changed becaudse as far as I know the hardcore crowd still doesn't like to support digital games either?

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
I'll get all once again, but I found most exclusives on all systems pretty underwhelming this gen besides Bloodborne. GoT and Death Stranding do look good however. I currently feel more excited about Xbox because I'm bummed that Sony won't be at E3.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Does Europe get different games?
Xbox is barely relevant in mainland Europe. Has nothing to do with the games, people just don't care and juggernauts like FIFA are all but associated with PlayStation since forever. Iirc in Germany the share without the Switch is something like 80% PS4 and 20% Xbox One. It is way worse than that in Spain where Xbox has a presence almost as small as Japan

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Not surprising at all, although I anticipate Microsoft making big moves this generation. I'm always excited for Sony, and finally Microsoft again as well.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox is barely relevant in mainland Europe. Has nothing to do with the games, people just don't care and juggernauts like FIFA are all but associated with PlayStation since forever

I don't get the connection with FIFA and Sony because I thought EA and Microsoft were more buddy buddy?

It gets/got much better support from Sony (no tier 2 country shit, which killed XB1 in Europe from the get go) and has unmatchable marketing. Sony's games do very well in Europe too.

This makes more sense, marketing can make a huge difference. I guess I've never understood the brand loyalty thing and why I always do my buying habits on whats is instead of what may be.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Them poll results though

PC/PS4/Switch for me. Solely because of the moves Microsoft is making in the PC department.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't get the connection with FIFA and Sony because I thought EA and Microsoft were more buddy buddy?

This makes more sense, marketing can make a huge difference. I guess I've never understood the brand loyalty thing and why I always do my buying habits on whats is instead of what may be.
Mainly because of the past deals which made PlayStation kinda synonymous with gaming. Even the PS3 beat out the 360 in most regions here. PS4 against XB1 without the Switch has a 80/20 split in Germany iirc. In Spain it's like 90/10 lol

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
For sure, bumps to the resolution, more stable frame rates and such are all good. I just don't see the need of having trophy support for PS2 games which Sony did with their PS2 on PS4 titles. That extra effort probably wasn't necessary and might be one of the reasons why they've hardly touched BC for that system but that's just my theory.

Probably wasn't necessary, but I appreciated the extra effort. The trophy support is what got me to revisit games like Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy. It provided me a new perspective on how to tackle the game in ways I didn't when I first played them on PS2.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the people claiming bias I think you're missing a ton of context...

I'm expecting XBOX's E3 to be a blowout. Huge exclusives and some genre defining experiences. But even with that said, It has been 4 years, almost to the day, since XBOX announced a "New AAA IP." Sea Of Thieves reveal in 2015 was the last time that happened. And while I know some of you are convinced they don't need exclusives or that 4 years isn't too long a stretch without one... Exclusives, in the mind of casuals, is how these consoles differentiate themselves. Their USP if you will...

Out of the 5 years and 8 months XB1 has been on the market they've spent 4 years dormant in the mind of casuals.While the competition has been unrelenting... I'm surprised XBOX polled at 24% If the same poll were taken in Europe my guess is that claims of bias would transition into claims of outright poll rigging.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Great generation so far, and the built in internet love of Sony definitely helps these numbers. I'm just excited that it seems like Microsoft is on the up and up at the right time, and Sony is still chugging along at a steady and great clip.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Probably wasn't necessary, but I appreciated the extra effort. The trophy support is what got me to revisit games like Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy. It provided me a new perspective on how to tackle the game in ways I didn't when I first played them on PS2.
I've not cared about trophies or achievements for a good few years now and although its cool to have them in older titles so people have a better reason to revisit them, I feel like it didn't help that they set a standard for the PS2 games which they might not have wanted to in the first place.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the people claiming bias I think you're missing a ton of context...

I'm expecting XBOX's E3 to be a blowout. Huge exclusives and some genre defining experience. But even with that said, It has been 4 years almost to the day, since XBOX announced a "New AAA IP." Sea Of Thieves reveal in 2015 was the last time that happened. And while I know some of you are convinced they don't need excusives or that 4 years isn't too long a stretch without one... Exclusives, in the mind of casuals, is how these consoles differentiate themselves. Their USP if you will

And out of the 5 years and 8 months XB1 has been on the market they've spent 4 years dormant in the mind of casuals.While the competition has been unrelenting... I'm surprised XBOX polled at 24% If the same poll were taken in Europe my guess is that claims of bias would transition into claims of outright poll rigging.

OK, let's say Microsoft has a huge E3 and sets the bar very high and even announces an awesome new Xbox, what are the chances the poll would be much different? I also question some of the authenticity of those who say the Xbox has become irrelevant now that they are on PC because I still think the majority prefer console gaming and don't do a lot of PC gaming.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
That's what I mean, there will be something for everyone. I personally think a lot of enthusiasts would jump in purely for the graphical jump.

Definitely, but for me, there's not enough bang for my buck. If it winds up being the most powerful console...cool I'll get it just for the multiplats. But as of now, with Anaconda being rumored to be have more horsepower the the PS5 and Nintendo having the best exclusives, I'll only jump on the PS5 in a couple of years.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Voted Sony but I play PC mostly and I'm voting on Sony's past success on good quality games really. MS will be trying next gen.

MS did a great job with the XBX and would buy that if I wasn't into PC to play third party games.