• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which next-gen console/system do you want the most?

• Nintendo

• Google

• Microsoft

• Sony

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't remember it being that different in all honesty

Then you haven't paid attention. Read some of the pre-2013 next-gen prediction thread. People were expecting Sony to exit the industry while Xbox steamrolls next-gen.

These enthusiast boards swing whichever way the wind is blowing. But if it helps you to think that it's a board that mindlessly favors Sony then you're welcome to do so.

Oct 27, 2017
The old place that favoured x360 and in 2012 predicted Sony would exit the business during this gen? It's not like the forum is voting against the current worldwide market situation with a Sony poll win.

A handful of deluded people don't represent the majority. Whereas the old place and here by extension wear/wore its heart on its sleeve.

Nothing wrong with it by the way, and no need to get defensive. I am just making an observation

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 became a jet engine and I stopped playing it. The next PS wont be on my radar unless it is specifically addressed. Sony seems drastically different when the PS4 first launched vs. now. They had such a good team around the PS4 launch that is no longer there.

I keep hearing about the jet engine PS4 but mine is pretty silent for the most part... and I am pretty sensitive to these things: my gaming PC has all $$$ Noctua fans to keep the noise down. I really think there was a bad batch or something.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Makes sense. I'm a Nintendo fanboy at heart but even I voted Sony in this threads pole. The Switch just released two years ago and I still love it so I don't really care to see what Nintendo has planned next yet. Meanwhile, between Sony and Microsoft, Sony is clearly the most exciting just given their market dominance this gen and the interview with Wired Cerny recently did. Of course, Microsoft is expect to talk about Scarlett (at least a little bit) next week, whilst Sony probably won't say any more about the PS5 until next years, so the script could flip soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Then you haven't paid attention. Read some of the pre-2013 next-gen prediction thread. People were expecting Sony to exit the industry while Xbox steamrolls next-gen.

These enthusiast boards swing whichever way the wind is blowing. But if it helps you to think that it's a board that mindlessly favors Sony then you're welcome to do so.

Lol see my post above. A board is the sum of its participants.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I have been waiting since the Xbox one was announced for them to release an exclusive I was even slightly interested in. Maybe E3 2019 they will succeed?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

i mean, y'all buying PS5 for the sole possibility of this admit it

Be still my heart.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for massive upgrades to future PSVR games, hopefully the big ones like Skyrim and Borderlands 2 will get updates to really crank up the non-IQ functions like massive draw distance increases and LOD improvements

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I just stacked up 3 years old game pass ultimate so I can't see myself getting a PS5 anytime soon

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense. I love Nintendo but the switch is probably gonna stay a while so voted for Sony

Cause dat first party gamesss

Oct 25, 2017
At least for me, personally, Sony has never failed me on any of their consoles. They are usually the best when it comes to balancing great first and third party support, and they are also the ones that keep giving decent support to their previous console instead of outright killing them.

Nintendo has very big ups, but also pretty abysmal downs. And at least for me, Microsoft is just... There...

The PS5 is probably the only next generation console I will buy blindly. They have earned my trust.

Also, with Microsoft putting more and more Xbox games on the PC, and even Game Pass...it kind of defeats the purpose of owning the console.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A handful of deluded people don't represent the majority. Whereas the old place and here by extension wear/wore its heart on its sleeve.

Nothing wrong with it by the way, and no need to get defensive. I am just making an observation

Just a counter observation then. The board as a whole favoured the 360 during the previous generation. Or at least during the period I have been active, which started in 2011.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
True, but members of video game website are the most engaged and serve as "brand evangelists." So if the core gamers swing wildly in one direction, then by the time their more casual friends start asking which system to buy then the recommendation will be obvious.
Still not a great survey, because A) not every "brand evangelist" visits IGN; it could be skewed towards a certain group B) They don't list their fraud--prevention methods, or provide any screener questions to filter bad respondents or bots, and C) IGN viewers are not even close to the only people that buy consoles on day 1.
This is basically the same as a GameFAQs poll in terms of validity.

Source - my job title is Survey Project Manager. I create market research surveys for a living.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
PS5 is the only console I want. The other consoles, for me, are only necessary to not let Sony sleep on success.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

Nah there weren't that many people saying that, mostly it was just like on this site where a few people say something stupid and the fanboys turn it into a meme, I would say it was pretty niche.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
The BC with PS4 will make it very difficult for other console to sell more than PS5 in the beginning of the generation, i have almost 100 digital games that will automatically work on the next-gen console on day one. Only problem for Sony is if they screw it big time like charging $600 for the console again, but i think they learned from their mistakes this gen.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Gamers aren't really that loyal to console brands. They'll jump from PS2 to 360 to PS4 to whatever is the next most appealing platform. More than half may say they want the next PlayStation now but that won't mean much in the grand scheme of things, better off waiting until they're actually revealed.
I've been watching way too many of your videos. I involuntarily read this post, in my head with your voice. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Nintendo/Sony household here. They give me the games I want. There has only been like one ore two MS games I was sad I didn't get try but so many other games to comfort me. Plus, I am really anxious for Sony's next device so I can get a 4K Bluray player.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No surprise given how well the PS4 did. I'm sure prior to the PS3 the results wouldn't have been much different or maybe even higher. What I'm interested in is what software theyn will have for launch because the last 2 generations were nothing special.

Oct 26, 2017
Anecdotal of course but the Xbox only people I work with are pretty tired of missing out on the exclusives the PS4 has had this gen and want to get the next PlayStation instead. MS is trying to bolster that area though, so it will be interesting to see what they do in a year or two.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The PS4 had a great lineup of exclusive games, and I don't see that changing when the PS5 comes. PS5 is definitely the console that I want the most at the moment.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through Sony's first party suite, and having a 4K TV, a middling computer and a growing family (read: significantly less time to game), I will likely only grab one console next gen and maybe upgrade my PC and it really only makes sense that it be the next Playstation.

My children probably won't be old enough to really appreciate something like the Switch (compared to say the Wii and mobile games) until near the end of the next generation, and Microsoft just doesn't have enough in the way of good exclusives to tempt me right now.

However, new tech details will likely change my mind and give me that consumer itch.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
With the way Sony has dominated this gen, they deserve all the votes.

Nintendo I see as a partner console and not a main one.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That kind of poll mostly rely on people already convinced by a brand. People are voting for stuff not even shown nor with any concrete specs revealed so far and worse, any game shown.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Honestly, all I want out of these next-gen systems is proper backwards compatibility (especially from Sony).

They tried to put in the extra effort of adding trophies to PS2 games and all sorts, no one needs that. I wish I could pop my favourite PS2 games into my PS4 and have em run. I know its a lot to ask since it's a shite ton of work to get emulators running but Microsoft have smashed it with their implementation of backwards compatibility.

Thankfully, I'll always have emulators on PC and if not then I can just run em from my modified PS2. To sum this up, I basically want a 4K capable PS2 which I guess isn't really a pressing issue.

Never understood this. So you buy a next gen system to play games from a few console generations ago?
I understand wanting to ALSO be able to play old games but this feature being the top of the list for next gen seems very weird to me.
I buy a next gen console to play next gen games.
To each their own i guess

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Never understood this. So you buy a next gen system to play games from a few console generations ago?
I understand wanting to ALSO be able to play old games but this feature being the top of the list for next gen seems very weird to me.
New games is something that I don't think needs mentioning, it's kind of like the default reason why you move over to another console anyway. I'm always more excited about the other features a console has to offer.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
With the way Sony has dominated this gen, they deserve all the votes.

Nintendo I see as a partner console and not a main one.
I think Nintendo's percentage is due to people being satisfied with the relevantly new piece of hardware. It would be much higher if the Switch didn't exist or we were further into the Switch's life cycle.

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
To me, Microsoft lost all the good momentum they had after the release of Gears 4.
343 spent years trying to fix the mess that was Halo MCC, the Coalition decided to do 3 projects at once instead of focusing on just Gears 5. Turn 10 blew it with FM7. The gaming division was more interested in making killer hardware than games.
What's crazy to me is that MS still hasn't produced the killer app, the technical wonder for Xbox One X (apart from forza maybe).

It doesn't matter how powerful the next xbox is, Sony has the best looking games and I'm convinced it will be the same next gen.
P.S: I play one Xbox One S.
Let's hope for the betterment of the industry MS delivers on the games this coming gen.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Gamers aren't really that loyal to console brands. They'll jump from PS2 to 360 to PS4 to whatever is the next most appealing platform. More than half may say they want the next PlayStation now but that won't mean much in the grand scheme of things, better off waiting until they're actually revealed.

Not this time around they won't.

Digital libraries and BC will make it so.

I can see even more people joining the Sony camp to play the PS4 games they missed this gen, whereas few would want to miss on their sequels on PS5 to be able to play this gens MS games through BC

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Wow the era vote is pretty one sided.

Sony is gonna walk next gen.

Pretty much every vote like this I've seen online (not just ERA) is heavily slanted towards Sony, in a way that goes WAY beyond units sold. I just think Sony-only users are way more active on online forums for some reason. It's basically meaningless.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

I think that would be fair to say from previous generations but with the new digital era the BC will be crucial to keep people linked with a console and to create a wider variety of games on subscription models.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
the result of the polls make sense
why the ps5 take over the new xbox
because all the exclusives will release in pc
xbox require gold to play online and pc don't
i don't understand why Microsoft give a big advantages to pc over the new console already that strange
and don't forget the Japanese developers support pc more than xbox
like street fighter v , nioh , dragon quest ...etc those games don't exists in xbox
and i remember that the new console will not have any exclusives games at lunch and exclusives games will come after years
so i understand why most of the people will not take the new xbox console in the beginning after this news

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wish there was an option for all. I think there is a good chunk of Era that is multi-platform like me. The console I want "most" changes depending on the day or game I'm looking at.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo literally released a new console two years ago, who would want a new console from them anytime soon?

And as for the other two, Microsoft has dropped the ball on exclusives heavily this gen, whereas Sony are killing it with their first-party titles. With Sony, you know that you'll eventually get the good stuff, that confidence doesn't exist for Microsoft. It's no surprise Sony is far ahead in the poll.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 had a great lineup of exclusive games, and I don't see that changing when the PS5 comes. PS5 is definitely the console that I want the most at the moment.

It did? All I remember is an indie game (Resogun) being the best of the bunch. It had an average Killzone and also Knack which scored miserably,