• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which next-gen console/system do you want the most?

• Nintendo

• Google

• Microsoft

• Sony

Results are only viewable after voting.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Spencer always says wants things, actions speak louder than words and they've shown no signs of supporting PlayStation any time soon.
There are two parties involved in that situation. Sony might be the party not allowing it to happen. Remember Mike Ybarra's comments about Mixer. Sony flat out refused to let Mixer be on there platform. But if Microsoft makes them an offer they can't refused like with the Azure servers or Sony's marketshare erodes that may change rather quickly.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I love this time of year because of all the new game/hardware announcements but I also hate it because it's when console warring intensifies...

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I can get my Xbox games on PC, so I'm not necessarily excited about it as a console. PS5 doesn't excite me unless TLOU2 comes out for it.

A beefed up Switch is the only thing I care to see happen.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I think Sony won the most important gen ever this gen so the numbers make sense to me. A new gen is no longer a reset.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
would have been interesting if IGN had paired this poll with data about things like average weekly play times, favorite games from the current generation, and maybe age.

why?

because I get the feeling this poll would look radically different if we filtered for something like "plays less than 10 hours of games a week." neither a good or bad thing, not a dig at anyone, blah blah blah. just something I wish I could see broken out.

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018
Absolutely most excited for a next gen Sony system. They've had the best exclusives this gen and have generally done right by the PS4.

Also whilst I voted Sony, I am looking forward to seeing what MS do with their exclusive games, I imagine their output will be much more substantial this time and I suspect I'll be able to play them on PC...

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
would have been interesting if IGN had paired this poll with data about things like average weekly play times, favorite games from the current generation, and maybe age.

why?

because I get the feeling this poll would look radically different if we filtered for something like "plays less than 10 hours of games a week." neither a good or bad thing, not a dig at anyone, blah blah blah. just something I wish I could see broken out.

What are you expecting to see?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
There are two parties involved in that situation. Sony might be the party not allowing it to happen. Remember Mike Ybarra's comments about Mixer. Sony flat out refused to let Mixer be on there platform. But if Microsoft makes them an offer they can't refused like with the Azure servers or Sony's marketshare erodes that may change rather quickly.
Sure, it's not impossible, I just don't think Xbox are that desperate to support PlayStation (it'd be the end of Xbox hardware, given they are pretty much the same system as is, just the exclusives that really separate the 2). Or that PlayStation is showing any signs of losing marketshare, I very much doubt Sony will ever allow Game Pass or whatever Xbox's streaming service will be on PlayStation.

The MS and Sony thing, is way over Xbox and hasn't much, if anything to do with them and is over PlayStation too.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
In what world is this the case? Microsoft's track record with actual games the last couple of years has been a travesty in comparison to Sony's, and even compared to Xbox One's line up earlier on. Granted Forza Horizon 4 is strong, but then you have stuff like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, ReCore, Crackdown 3 etc, versus stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn, Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted The Lost Legacy, God of War, Astro Bot, Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Dragon Quest XI, Nioh, Detroit, Spider-Man, Days Gone etc. The last half of this gen if anything has been far more lopsided in Sony's favour than the first half, which is probably why hardware and software sales are as they have been.
If anything, their momentum has accelerated. If you look at the Life To Date NPD charts, you can see that 2018 games are preforming much better on PS4 compared to Xbox proportional to the games that came before.

RDR2 took the number 2 spot on PS4, and only the number 5 spot on Xbox. Black Ops 4 outsold Black Ops 3 on PS4, but didn't on Xbox. PS4 has 4 2018 games on the list, and Xbox has 2. This is physical only, but there isn't any reason to believe digital adoption is materially higher on Xbox as far as I'm aware.

D7wCz_ZUwAAJzJA.jpg

D7wDFo0UEAAk--O.jpg

Last edited:

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
PS for me. Almost always create a well rounded system with amazing software as the gen moves along.

For people who jam on PC I don't see the point in getting an Xbox because every MS game can be played there, plus if cross play becomes more of a thing there's not much of ''but my friends'' reasoning anymore.
I understand the couch gaming reason however.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
What are you expecting to see?

a noticeable uptick in interest for future Nintendo portable systems. a lot of hardcore gamers seem to ignore the appeal Nintendo has for people who like to game, but who don't have a ton of time for it.

talk about port fatigue, lack of AAA games, and too few titles all seem to come from gamers who expect full AAA support on a Microsoft or Sony-like scale, or from gamers who have caught up with every major indie title from the last 5 years. if IGN is reaching that crowd in particular, it's not surprising we see interest in a system that supports big budget exclusives. but everyone I know at work with a Switch loves it because it's the thing that makes consistent gaming possible for them at all - it's why I could get through Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Disgaea 5, Celeste, Steamworld Heist, etc.. sitting in front of a PS4 or an Xbox for multiple hours isn't as realistic.

and i don't mean this as a dig at hardcore gamers, nor do i mean to imply that Nintendo would come out on top of Sony if the data were dis-aggregated; just that every month i talk with friends, other gamers, people at my local tabletop store, etc, i hear more about how the Switch is the perfect system for people who have a hard time balancing gaming and life demands. i would love to see a poll that tests for the theory that Nintendo has reached a wider audience and had greater success this generation because it's been more inclusive of gamers generally (maybe even gamers from the iOS/Android/mobile world?).

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
If anything, their momentum has accelerated. If you look at the Life To Date NPD charts, you can see that 2018 games are preforming much better on PS4 compared to Xbox proportional to the games that came before.

RDR2 took the number 2 spot on PS4, and only the number 5 spot on Xbox. Black Ops 4 outsold Black Ops 3 on PS4, but didn't on Xbox. PS4 has 4 2018 games on the list, and Xbox has 2. This is digital only, but there isn't any reason to believe digital adoption is materially higher on Xbox as far as I'm aware.

D7wCz_ZUwAAJzJA.jpg

D7wDFo0UEAAk--O.jpg
I actually according to people in the know like ZhugeEX XB1 digital adoption rate is significantly more than PS4's. How much is significantly I don't know but it is. Also the list is physical + digital.

Oct 25, 2017
I have over 200+ games at this point with Sony so I have to move forward with that system regardless if I like it or not. But i've always owned a Xbox and Nintendo on the side so that has continued as well. However going into next gen, I will wait for the Xbox because I feel like I got really burned buying the OG X1 day one. The value of the system has not exceeded the price I paid and I'm very salty about that. It's became worst when the X1X came out for the same price and I paid that for what I thought would be that machine when the X1 came out. So....next gen I'm definitely waiting for year 2 or 3 before I jump straight into an Xbox, but my Playstation stuff will naturally carry. So as of right now, I am more keen into seeing what the PS5 will be and look like moving forward.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony are delivering us quality games whilst the competition gives us a facade of quality.

Keep shouting "but but services" if that makes you feel better.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
It would be Nintendo for me but since Switch is still young, probably Sony. I am kind of interested in Microsoft's next console but Sony simply has better exclusives for my taste and my Ps4 games will carry over.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
sony's, won't even be a fight unless they release a z80 machine for 599€
I'm deep knee into their system, account debt and all. my "gaming friends" are there, exclusives are there...
Micorsoft's hardware is irrelevant to me, i have a decent pc, so why ? i'd get nothing more out of it then what i can already get on pc.
Nintendo is nintendo and i will probably get the next one as a "second" system, once again for exclusives.
google lol.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Wow the era vote is pretty one sided.

Sony is gonna walk next gen.
Not necessarily if you look at one of the post I made that has been threadmarked you can compare the numbers to the same question last gen. What would be interesting is a survey done when both have been revealed, the price given and games shown. It would be interesting how the survey would change if it did.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I actually according to people in the know like ZhugeEX XB1 digital adoption rate is significantly more than PS4's. How much is significantly I don't know but it is. Also the list is physical + digital.
Interesting. I haven't seen any clear numbers but I was under the impression the number was roughly the the same for both. Meant to say "Physical only" which the chart indicates. So if XB is doing much better on Digital it might alleviate some of what the charts show on the surface.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
If you're only going to have one console to me Playstation 5 makes the most sense, especially if you owned a PS4. You have no reason to switch unless an extra teraflop or two that MS might have means something to you. You get your previous library carried forward, you have Sony's strong investment of first party content, and it will be the most supported by third party developers, especially the Japanese ones if you look at games that came first to PS4 or never came to Xbox at all.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
As of last year and probably even as recently as earlier this year, I had less than zero interest in next generation consoles. The main announcement I wanted to hear in relation to them was that they wouldn't be coming out any time soon.

Sony's pitch for the PS5 made me do a complete 180, though, and 2020 is sounding like the perfect time to move on. I'm definitely interested in Xbox after all the moves they've been making over the past few years, but the PS5 very much has my attention.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
not remotely shocking. sony had far and away the biggest market and mind share of the gen, built a lot of new well received IPs, and has confirmed BC for playstation 5. frankly, i'm surprised their poll isnt even more strongly showing a sony lead

EDIT: out poll is about what i'd expect, lol

OP
OP
bombshell

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Interesting. I haven't seen any clear numbers but I was under the impression the number was roughly the the same for both. Meant to say "Physical only" which the chart indicates. So if XB is doing much better on Digital it might alleviate some of what the charts show on the surface.
The NPD charts is physical+digital, unless stated otherwise for specific games.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
An internet survey of readers of a video game website does not an unbiased survey make.

True, but members of video game website are the most engaged and serve as "brand evangelists." So if the core gamers swing wildly in one direction, then by the time their more casual friends start asking which system to buy then the recommendation will be obvious.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
The chart has physical as well as digital included. None of the games on the list has a asterisk (*) next to them.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
PS5 for me.

Not only do I own a solid game library that I can continue playing on the PS5, it is also home to some of my favorite franchises of all time.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
True, but members of video game website are the most engaged and serve as "brand evangelists." So if the core gamers swing wildly in one direction, then by the time their more casual friends start asking which system to buy then the recommendation will be obvious.

i think that's a dubious assumption. which is why i'd like to see this info collected along with other key information, like how often people play, where they play, whether AAA titles matter to them, how old they are, etc. i know plenty of people with a Switch or an iPhone who don't care a lick what PS4 evangelists think.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'll probably play my PS5 more but I'm kinda more interested in what MS is up to.

Sony is going to be predictably awesome; I'm super curious how being a PC gamer might pair with an Xbox next gen though. I like the idea of cross-buy as consoles are more convenient for couch/TV gaming.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
The problem Microsoft have, is getting all those PS4 owners to dump their whole PS4 catalogue to come into the Xbox ecosystem. With PS5 working with all your PS4 games, it's a big thing to give up, even if Microsoft manage to get a slightly better package going next gen.

Not to mention how Sony just wipe the floor when it comes to exclusives compared to Microsoft. I know MS will come out hard next gen with their own new IPs but it's all what-ifs and maybes right now. Sony can produce a new IP at will, while MS seem to be stuck flogging the same 2 (be it very good) games in Halo / Gears. No matter how good the games are technically, the characters/story will get stale without a refresh or a rest. Something MS just can't seem to be able to do right now.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
Wow the era vote is pretty one sided.

Sony is gonna walk next gen.

This forum is like 80/20 Sony/Microsoft. There was a poll awhile ago. It seems to be pretty international - in the US the PS4 and Xbox are roughly even.

That said - console sales don't matter AS much, since Microsoft has so heavily embraced the PC. I think they want you paying $10 a month or whatever for gamepass, and don't really care if you are on PC or Xbox. PC has given them quite a bit more potential marketshare. Also if xcloud is good it could shake things up, but I am always skeptical of streaming services.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Whichever one has the best games. Sony has a good reputation for having lots of good games, so they're the one I'm anticipating the most.

Same for me. I got ps4 out of curiousity a year after release, but once Bloodborne came out I was satisfied. In all honestly this gens exclusives have been disappointing for me most of the time. It is mostly indies, multiplatform and Bloodborne that made it worth it.

Will probably get a ps4 for enhanced ports, backwards compatibility and exclusives first. Then go for the upgraded next Xbox and upgraded PC for 60 FPS. Will go for all three in likeliness as Gamepass is an amazing value.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I've been mostly satisfied with Sony's output this generation which makes PS5 my most anticipated piece of hardware

I'm still very interested in what the others have to offer tho (well, maybe Google not as much as Xbox or Nintendo)

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Day 1. Never gotten a home-console day 1.
However always within a year as soon as any kind of offer appeared (made it more acceptable for my parents since they are all the same to them).

Have had a launch ps4, and *knocks on wood* been serving me well. Just like my launch ps3/ps2/ps1. I somehow think the OG models are built better quality wise lol...

Oct 26, 2017
The ResetEra poll question and the question IGN posed are different, if I'm being picky.

What one do I want to see the most? Microsoft, because I've been a Sony fan all this season and am intrigued what Microsoft is going to offer. I want them to wow me, and I think they have the biggest chance since I've the least amount of expectations built up for them.

What one do I want the most? PS5, which doesn't mean much since I don't know much of anything about it or any new systems.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Doesn't surprise me, Sony's software output + their ability to take advantage of it is top notch. Who doesn't want to play HZD2, GoW 2 and the next ND game on next gen hardware?

Not including the inevitable patches for current gen games at 60 fps (TLOU 2 etc)

Out of the three you mentioned the only one I'm interested in is GoW 2 and that's with the caveat that Barlogs address the huge lack of bosses that was the bread and butter of the series until this last one.

I didn't enjoy Horizon and found it boring and the last ND game I liked was TLOU (that was primarily for the multiplayer).