• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which next-gen console/system do you want the most?

• Nintendo

• Google

• Microsoft

• Sony

Results are only viewable after voting.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as BC is gonna be a thing and I enjoy Sony first party, PS5 is top of my list with Stadia 2nd (assuming pricing isn't shit) then Xbox for PC game pass and streaming (as I have a gaming PC, I don't see any reason to get their next box) and no real interest in new Nintendo hardware since it'll be the same gen as the switch

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MS would have to do a miracle to make me swap mains next gen and Sony to shit the bed even worse then PS3. My psn account is 12 years old with lots of history. Very hard to switch atleast for me.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Single player experiences or memorable experiences. Cause I really do think it's more of the later. Halo 3 campaign was legendary no doubt, but Halo 3 was the online multiplayer experience. Microsoft just needs to recapture that magic.

I know exactly how you feel.
Sadly though, we're twelve years older now and I think there's no such thing as recapturing that kind of magic. It was a time, place and age thing. If you're truly hoping for that kind of experience again, you're likely to end up disappointed.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
The power of exclusives. If Sony didn't have the most impressive exclusives, then it would be Microsoft for me. I think Game Pass is awesome, the One X is better hardware than the Pro, but Sony has me hooked with TLOU, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, etc.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think it's a tad early to release this sort of poll from ign. Next gen hasn't even been revealed yet, so it's just folks that liked whatever current gen console the most voting for the next one, without even know what it is.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I think if MS keep going on their current BC path with PC integration it's going to be the clear choice for me next gen and I don't even own an XBO.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I want my HZD 2, Spidey 2 and most of all God of War 2 (the second).
Xbox gave me nothing this gen, they are in the wait and see category.
Don't care about game streaming, so don't care for Stadia.
Will get a Switch eventually of my own eventually (just borrow my sister's for now).

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I know exactly how you feel.
Sadly though, we're twelve years older now and I think there's no such thing as recapturing that kind of magic. It was a time, place and age thing. If you're truly hoping for that kind of experience again, you're likely to end up disappointed.
Actually with moves MS are making I can see them making games that could have the same type of impact. Consider that there exclusive are coming to other platforms so could find it easier to get that mindshare when it comes to there software.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Single player experiences or memorable experiences.

Strong narrative showcases. Less focus on GaaS/multiplayer. Microsoft is severely lacking on that front. But I do agree, old school Halo days were some of the most fun I've had in gaming. Halo 4/5 were pretty ho hum/mediocre. Hopefully with Infinite they will go back to their roots.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the Switch is still pretty new, Google hasn't shown much to get people excited, and more and more of Xbox exclusives are finding their way to PC, so PS5 is really the obvious answer. Playstation generally gets more support from Japanese devs than Xbox, too, so as a fan of Japanese games that also gives Sony the edge from my personal perspective.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
ms had a whole gen to build a desirable 1st party line-up, and they failed at every turn.

what did you expect.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Actually with moves MS are making I can see them making games that could have the same type of impact. Consider that there exclusive are coming to other platforms so could find it easier to get that mindshare when it comes to there software.

I don't really see how the moves MS is making is tangibly pointing to them releasing a game with a similar type of impact. Got any concrete examples?

Their multi-platform stance is admirable though, but I hardly think that's enough to trigger a global zeitgeist around their first party games.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
This current gen is the first one since Atari 2600 that I haven't owned a major console.

But I do hope each of the Big 3 deliver their own unique takes for the hardware refresh, even if I won't be participating.

It's actually a pretty exciting time considering how divergent each are in philosophy this time around.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Don't have a Xbox and all my games are on PS4 (and Switch). So yeah, with BC I'm mostly excited for the PS5.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Gamers aren't really that loyal to console brands. They'll jump from PS2 to 360 to PS4 to whatever is the next most appealing platform. More than half may say they want the next PlayStation now but that won't mean much in the grand scheme of things, better off waiting until they're actually revealed.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Sony killed it this gen and have a really appealing library of exclusives. It's not too surprising to me.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
As someone who did not dip into a PS4 or Xbox this generation (stayed mostly PC and then got a Switch) and thus does not have a library of games to worried about BC I'm pretty wide open for next generation. Part of the reason why I never got either one was that none of their exclusives really drew me in, last year was really the first year with GoW and Spiderman that I really felt any sort of pull. I'm going to wait and see what initial launch lineups are going to look like but since I don't see myself going with a mid-generation bump I will likely go with the most powerful one at launch which will likely be Xbox.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I use Xbox because of Game Pass. Switch has become a Fortnite-mobile machine for my son. Only Sony gives me the kind of games I like - big, cinematic singleplayer adventures with interesting gameplay. It was a no-brainer for me

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Gamers aren't really that loyal to console brands. They'll jump from PS2 to 360 to PS4 to whatever is the next most appealing platform. More than half may say they want the next PlayStation now but that won't mean much in the grand scheme of things, better of waiting until they're actually revealed.

The evidence we have for this is wholly insufficient. We've never had a generational transition in a world where digital libraries are as massive as they currently are. Past generations are a bad predictor for the upcoming years, I bet.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No surprise tbh. Sony delivered the goods for the most part whilst MS faltered in terrible fashion. MS is making excellent moves to rectify its issues but people need to see something more tangible before making a case for it over PS.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Gamers aren't really that loyal to console brands. They'll jump from PS2 to 360 to PS4 to whatever is the next most appealing platform. More than half may say they want the next PlayStation now but that won't mean much in the grand scheme of things, better of waiting until they're actually revealed.

PS5 is revealed though. It ticks the boxes that really matter for PS4 owners when making a decision to buy into next gen; backwards compatibility, appealing hardware and more SIE WWS content.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, unless Sony drops the ball next gen there's no reason for people to switch companies. Xbox One's launch was an unprecedented disaster.

Jan 20, 2019
Gamers aren't really that loyal to console brands. They'll jump from PS2 to 360 to PS4 to whatever is the next most appealing platform. More than half may say they want the next PlayStation now but that won't mean much in the grand scheme of things, better off waiting until they're actually revealed.

In the USA yes, in EU no.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The last couple of polls on ERA gives the impression there are alot of PlayStation fans here that don't post much. Reading threads I would of pegged Nintendo fans being by far the largest group on ERA followed by PlayStation then Xbox.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really inaccurate poll

Switch has only been out 2 years, people aren't going to want a next gen switch before they are even able to buy the current gen switch

Only thing people know about stadia is it's name and that it's streaming, not enough info to give it a chance in the polls

We know even less about the next gen Xbox than stadia, current gen Xbox has been out almost 6 years though giving it slight advantage in the poll

Ps5 we already know most of specs and most people that wanted a PS4 own one now which would mean most PS4 owners are more ready for a next gen system

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if anybody has made this point yet but i bet if you went back to 2005 you'd get the same result about the PS3.

People are obviously going to want to see the followup to the currently dominant console.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see how the moves MS is making is tangibly pointing to them releasing a game with a similar type of impact. Got any concrete examples?

Their multi-platform stance is admirable though, but I hardly think that's enough to trigger a global zeitgeist around their first party games.

I feel like the first 12-18 months of a console launch success is more orientated around price / performance than 1st party output. First party PS4 output was pretty dire during that period but being cheaper and more powerful was enough to give them an unassailable lead.

If Microsoft come in more powerful and cheaper and show some good first party output up and coming from their new acquisitions + impressive halo stuff the US / UK market is going to be as lot closer next gen

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
This is the first generation that I've actually been more excited for a Microsoft console rather than Sony. Microsoft had such a poor showing when the Xbox One was unveiled and has done so poorly, that I'm genuinely excited to see what they've been up to since buying so many studios and investing so much into their gaming division.

Sony's PS5 is going to be fantastic obviously, but I'm really excited to see what MS bring to the table next gen.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Sony has been bringing the goods since PS1, so I see little reason to get anything but the PS5 at launch.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The last couple of polls on ERA gives the impression there are alot of PlayStation fans here that don't post much. Reading threads I would of pegged Nintendo fans being by far the largest group on ERA followed by PlayStation then Xbox.

I think Nintendo fans are more... vocal. There's also a lot of crossover appeal between consoles. I own all 3, and I know a lot of people do.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Switch is recent and I enjoy it atm, no reason for me to want a new system from Nintendo
Stadia is probably a pass because of my shitty connection
Microsoft does not interest me anymore because of lack of exclusives

Only one left is Sony, always liked their systems, even if I found the PS4 clearly underwhelming for my tastes, I'm waiting for the PS5.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I've swapped between MS and Sony but now I have a powerful PC so I don't think I'll be buying an Xbox at all next gen. I'll definitely take a look at services like Game Pass though. A Sony console is a must own at the point. Can't miss their first party.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
100 million plus fans by the end of the gen, non stop AAA GOTY games, and BC. It's expected. People should be happy the console providing so many games is a success.

100 million plus fans by the end of the month.

But they are loyal to games. And I know there's only one place where I can play the sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't mean jack. Sony could lose them all if they fumble the launch like MS did with X1.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who wants to bet Sony get complacent (again) and a hungry Microsoft comes out swinging and Xbox dominates the next gen?