• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this was posted in the demo thread, thought it might be interesting to others as well.

more content/demos are coming from IGN during february
All month long, as part of IGN First, we'll be covering the Nintendo Switch exclusive with a bunch of gameplay first looks, previews, art, and more leading up to the game's release next month.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
So the otter-like rock knocking can cause flash as well as an explosion. Should be interesting, even though Somnacanth has become least interesting new monster in my books.

So the otter-like rock knocking can cause flash as well as an explosion. Should be interesting, even though Somnacanth has become least interesting new monster in my books.
It wouldn't surprise me much if Somnacanth was the designated intro monster to Frost Islands, since it does have a kind of "here's what you fight after Royal Ludroth" vibe as far as leviathans go.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
Outside of ignoring the free counter from Dual Blades' Shrouded Vault, I'd say it's a really solid run too. Whoever was playing this @ IGN clearly know their stuff
well I am guessing this will be the demo that drops next?

Nah, it's more likely to be Magnamalo IMO. Demos for MH games always feature the flagship

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so thirsty for monster Hunter I downloaded monster Hunter stories on the 3DS. March 26 is so far away :(

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I really like Somnacanth's design and moveset.

Not sure about Zamites in the game being a confirmation of Zamtrios making it too. There were Jagras in the demo and Great Jagras doesn't appear to be in from what we know, and I don't think we're getting both him and Royal Ludroth in the same game.

Idk about everyone else but nibblesnarf is a leviathan and i detest it with all my being

You have my Hammer. Fuck Nibelsnarf.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I like Somnacanth. She's looking different enough for a Leviathan, both in terms of design and moves. Also, anything that has moves inspired by real-life Otters is a win in my book.

*Reads last few posts* *Doesn't remember Nibelsnarf* *Googles* *Oh*

Yeah, fuck that one.

And curses that you brought this asshole back into my memory. ._. ^^

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Generations didn't have Great Jaggi and World didn't have him. Rise better have him because this G.Jaggi denial is unacceptable.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Underwater combat needs to return. That was the best part of the fight!

There's dozens of you, literally dozens.... thankfully Capcom will not subject us to underwater combat again, atleast not in Rise since the focus seems to be largely on aerial maneuvers.

Personally speaking, unless there's an elegant solution to navigating underwater with ease, I hope it stays away for the future. This is just my personal opinion, but part of the reason aerial works better is that there is a constant and consistentpull to a level field (gravity pulls you down when you stop grappling) whereas with underwater you stay put and it leads to misaligned confrontations with monsters. Maybe the answer is an underwater perma-tether to the monster? But that can be limiting.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Generations didn't have Great Jaggi and World didn't have him. Rise better have him because this G.Jaggi denial is unacceptable.
Unfortunately seems unlikely, given we already have Great Izuchi, Kulu-Ya-Ku, Great Wroggi and Great Baggi confirmed (and possibly Tzizi-Ya-Ku is in there too). Having Great Jaggi in there too would be therapod bird wyvern overkill, espcially given he's completely vanilla and doesn't bring any interesting mechanics to the table that the others don't already have covered.

There's dozens of you, literally dozens.... thankfully Capcom will not subject us to underwater combat again, atleast not in Rise since the focus seems to be largely on aerial maneuvers.

Personally speaking, unless there's an elegant solution to navigating underwater with ease, I hope it stays away for the future. This is just my personal opinion, but part of the reason aerial works better is that there is a constant and consistentpull to a level field (gravity pulls you down when you stop grappling) whereas with underwater you stay put and it leads to misaligned confrontations with monsters. Maybe the answer is an underwater perma-tether to the monster? But that can be limiting.
The solution to your problem is Git Gud. Sorry, couldn't resist

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Underwater combat needs to return. That was the best part of the fight!
Yeah, they just need to update swimming controls so as to make your hunter swim inhumanly well.

These various styles of grappling hooks that they have been adding for two games now could further aid underwater mobility. Imagine latching onto Laggy as it dart around underwater.

And finally, for the special water mounts...

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Unfortunately seems unlikely, given we already have Great Izuchi, Kulu-Ya-Ku, Great Wroggi and Great Baggi confirmed (and possibly Tzizi-Ya-Ku is in their too). Having Great Jaggi in there too would be therapod bird wyvern overkill, espcially given he's completely vanilla and doesn't bring any interesting mechanics to the table that the others don't already have covered.

Unfortunately...agreed.

My boy, G. Maccao, is in the same boat, but at least his kangaroo/kickboxing antics make him one of the more interesting "non-blight" raptors. I still don't see him coming back either, for the time being, because the focus was likely to just bring over "BIRD UP" as a compliment to Izuchi.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Unfortunately seems unlikely, given we already have Great Izuchi, Kulu-Ya-Ku, Great Wroggi and Great Baggi confirmed (and possibly Tzizi-Ya-Ku is in their too). Having Great Jaggi in there too would be therapod bird wyvern overkill, espcially given he's completely vanilla and doesn't bring any interesting mechanics to the table that the others don't already have covered.

I can understand the reasoning but he's always remembered fondly as the first introduction to big monsters to hunt, he was the first obstacle. Would be cool to have him in form as a tutorial or at least a reference to him in a way.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018

Because it's so divisive, I think what I'd like to see is for them to bring it back in a really mitigated form. Have the underwater sequences be a minigame all about forcing the monster out of the water so you can fight it again, something like that.

But I personally agree with others who lament fighting lagiacrus underwater. I still remember the first time I fought him and I saw him coiling up charging his attack underwater. I was like "that thing is absolutely terrifying!" And the first time I fought Gobul and figured out his trick, I thought it was the cleverest thing. Seeing the monsters in their underwater habitat is just great and adds a ton of flavor to the game, so I hope they find a way to bring it back even if the combat has been changed completely.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately...agreed.

My boy, G. Maccao, is in the same boat, but at least his kangaroo/kickboxing antics make him one of the more interesting "non-blight" raptors. I still don't see him coming back either, for the time being, because the focus was likely to just bring over "BIRD UP" as a compliment to Izuchi.

Maccao makes jaggi look like a turd in comparison. Bring him back!
Also, confirm zamtrios already.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Seeing how much water is in all of these maps I'm actually somewhat optimistic about seeing a revamped lagiacrus introduced in this or its expansion. Letting the leviathans swim in the shallows help make their movesets more interesting but I am worried lagi is like, too big for that haha

Regardless I'm imaging a move where it can electrocute all of the surface area on a body of water and you have to hang off the wirebug to wait it out

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how much water is in all of these maps I'm actually somewhat optimistic about seeing a revamped lagiacrus introduced in this or its expansion. Letting the leviathans swim in the shallows help make their movesets more interesting but I am worried lagi is like, too big for that haha

Regardless I'm imaging a move where it can electrocute all of the surface area on a body of water and you have to hang off the wirebug to wait it out
it's not like that stopped monsters swimming through material like sand

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Underwater combat could be amazing with the new grappling mechanics...
imagine latching to Laggy's tail while he swims furiously, you could even have a waterskiing mechanic

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Man, Rise is killing it with the monster designs. It just keeps blowing World out of the water.

Hopefully Zamtrios really is back as well

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm concerned that somancanths minor swipe attacks and head flips do like 5% dmg.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That looks fun to fight, always good to see monsters that play a bit differently