• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I constantly ask myself why they're trying to put Jim Ryan in that public face of the company thing similar to Reggie, Shawn Layden, etc. He doesn't come off as personable, doesn't have the charisma and constantly says things at odds with the consumer base.

On a good day he's boring and uninteresting to listen to, and at worst he's actively detrimental to the brand's public image. I think Phil Spencer is the fakest man since fake came to fake town, but at least he knows how to string a sentence together. Jim doesn't even have that.

And he gets paid to say this shit. It's quite incredible

He either needs a better speech writer, to stop ad-libbing entirely, or to just step off the stage and let someone who actually knows how to talk to the press do that part of the job for him.

Or he could just retire. It's not like he needs the money at this point.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory, this tweet that was making its rounds since that GI.biz interview:

Great experiences and examples from people in that the thread about how gaming culture developed in their countries.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Real honest question to those from ME : was there official support/release/localization before PS ?
I mean it's pretty obvious that he made a bad statement I'm just trying to understand what point was he trying to make since he could just said it was a tiny market, like he said with other ones. So I imagine it has to be a difference between those.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
You have a very broad definition of attacked, no? This is a pretty black and white case, he said something extremely dumb. Defending him is being objectively wrong. What are people supposed to do, not call out the weirdness in defending these comments?

It's not a case of opinion vs opinion.
I mean, there are many ways to express disagreement. You can debate another user without having to call him a "fanboy" among other things. With that I stop.

Oct 26, 2017
Saudi Arabia
Thanks for bringing this up.

So even business wise he is wrong...
Yes. IF and only IF he meant that Playstation helped in making video games more popular in our region then personally I have no problem, but saying outright gaming doesn't exist in the region before Playstation then thats a big lie.
Were these grey imports though? US or Japanese consoles? From what I can see the N64 was not officially released in the Middle East.

Technically those would have been counted in US/Japan industry sales, as they would have been purchased there and sold on.
For Nintendo stuff, I think they were imports yes, but for SNK and SEGA, they had official distributors to sell NeoGeo and SEGA consoles.

Real honest question to those from ME : was there official support/release/localization before PS ?
Yes.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What an age to be alive where anything you say will be taken to the extreme. Wonder if this was written by that one poster who went ballastic about this quote on the original interview thread. Look at all his examples obviously people in those countries all played games before PlayStation but not at the level PlayStation expanded it to. There were also people with smart phones before iphone.
He literally said that gaming wasn't there before PlayStation. How the hell is that taking a comment to the "extreme" like you claim? The words were LITERALLY exactly that, you can't fish around them saying that he "clearly" meant something else despite not saying that something else?

Also, I know he is speaking in business terms because the interview was mainly about those prospectives, but surely he'd intend to say the right thing then? It's a bold claim, and it really ignores any other form of the market that also helped stimulate and revolutionise gaming. Sure PlayStation as a brand is hugely impactful, but the industry as a whole wasn't down to one "brand" being a saviour. I get business people have to PR spin, but jeez it reinforces console warrior mindsets instead of creating liberating discussions around the overall industry and how damn good it is right now.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean it's pretty obvious that he made a bad statement I'm just trying to understand what point was he trying to make since he could just said it was a tiny market, like he said with other ones. So I imagine it has to be a difference between those.
Feel like this earlier post covers what you're asking:
No, NeoGeo and Mega Drive were sold via official distributors. They also come with Arabic manuals but sadly no Arabic localization for games.
Also, in the 80s, we had MSX with Arabic games being sold via Sakhr (A Kuwaiti Company). So saying Middle East didn't play games before PS1 is wrong.

Heck, we even had gaming magazines too before PS1! You can't have these if gaming is not already popular in the region and "gaming culture" is already there.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
"We helped grow the gaming industry in the Middle East."

Is a completely seperate and different statement from:

"Middle East...people had never played games before PlayStation in the Middle East."

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No, NeoGeo and Mega Drive were sold via official distributors. They also come with Arabic manuals but sadly no Arabic localization for games.
Also, in the 80s, we had MSX with Arabic games being sold via Sakhr (A Kuwaiti Company). So saying Middle East didn't play games before PS1 is wrong.

Heck, we even had gaming magazines too before PS1! You can't have these if gaming is not already popular in the region and "gaming culture" is already there.
haha, yeah ok, then I (and he obviously too) have no idea what he was talking about. :D

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Quickly, everyone, form ranks to protect the CEO! And don't forget to whine about "different opinions" when the attacks start!

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, for a few consoles.

Here's the MSX console, localized keyboard and with its documentation.

Ax170e.jpg

Sega SMS with its arabic manual (which is upside down, not sure why)

9694344157_433.jpg

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
If you want to take his words literally then sure, yeah there were few people who played atari, and Nintendo and whatever. But it was a figure of speech, that was mostly correct. Playstation exploded in the middle east and suddenly a lot of people were gaming.

After playstation there was also a rise if "Internet cafes" or "gaming cafes". Till this day playstation is by far the most dominant platform, followed by PC which is also huge.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was trying to convey his diet-racism and othering, that's it.
(See, for example, this article about Iran: https://www.gamedeveloper.com/disciplines/iran-video-games-timeline-from-1970-to-2019)

The "small/tiny markets" remark isn't better when, for example, not only Spain always has had an important base of players, but also a long history in game development:
www.intothegames.com

Historia de los videojuegos en España | Década de los 80s y 90s

De “La pulga” a “Commandos” la irregular andanza del videojuego español entre los 80 y los 90. Origen, historia de los videojuegos en España y evolución.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I often disagree with the hatred that Jim receives on the Internet and I think a lot of the criticism is overblown by fake concern and console warrior bullcrap but, in this particular case, there's not much more to say: Jim is factually wrong, his statements are reductive and ignorant. Someone in his position has an obligation to be better prepared and knowledgeable about what he is talking about.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which posts are you guys referring to in here?

...oh.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Were these grey imports though? US or Japanese consoles? From what I can see the N64 was not officially released in the Middle East.

Technically those would have been counted in US/Japan industry sales, as they would have been purchased there and sold on.

Almost certainly what he meant, legit sales instead of grey imports only.

But what he actually said is very stupid.
No, N64 was officially released
There was officiall distribution
Nintendo consoles always NTSC in Saudi Arabia and middle east.

I live there all my life, i know what happened.
I still remember seeing that hey pikachu N64 (even though Pokémon was banned) but the console still selling there.

Playstation 1 mostly modded console.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Jim Ryan: "people had never played games before Playstation in the Middle East"

Deluded fanboys: "He just meant Playstation expanded the market!" ... lol

What kind of mental gymnastics do you have to do to get to that meaning out of that sentence? It's not like its meaning is in any way ambiguous, it's crystal clear. Do you know what "never" means?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Feel like this earlier post covers what you're asking:
Yes, for a few consoles.

Here's the MSX console, localized keyboard and with its documentation.

Ax170e.jpg

Sega SMS with its arabic manual (which is upside down, not sure why)

9694344157_433.jpg
He was trying to convey his diet-racism and othering, that's it.
(See, for example, this article about Iran: https://www.gamedeveloper.com/disciplines/iran-video-games-timeline-from-1970-to-2019)

The "small/tiny markets" remark isn't better when, for example, not only Spain always has had an important base of players, but also a long history in game development:
www.intothegames.com

Historia de los videojuegos en España | Década de los 80s y 90s

De “La pulga” a “Commandos” la irregular andanza del videojuego español entre los 80 y los 90. Origen, historia de los videojuegos en España y evolución.

Thanks for sharing !
WHY JIMBO WHY ?!
Obviously his statement is wrong in some many ways lol

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
User banned (1 week): Dismissive commentary over a sensitive topic
Damn shit, an old rich white man said something controversial and wrong? I gotta jump to his defense!!

What the hell is wrong with some people lol
it's not controversial maybe? Someone can be ignorant on something and it not come from a place of malice. And it seems like Jim Ryan speaking is controversial on era when he's just a PR parrot for his company. The cancel culture spirit is too crazy on here, he gets quoted all the time for normal ass lines.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (3 days): Trolling. Metacommentary.
SalesEra and NintendoEra leave and SonyEra rises up. This is another level or corporate defense.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
it's not controversial maybe? Someone can be ignorant on something and it not come from a place of malice. And it seems like Jim Ryan speaking is controversial on era when he's just a PR parrot for his company. The cancel culture spirit is too crazy on here, he gets quoted all the time for normal ass lines.

Dude is just shit at his job, as far as PR is concerned. It's not hard to acknowledge you're bad at doing interviews and appoint a PR chief to handle them in your place, unless you're so arrogant that you need people to see your face all the time.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Malice isn't a prerequisite for racism.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
i thought it was pretty clear that all he meant that the market has just greatly expanded since PlayStation?

i mean he probably chose the wrong words in saying gaming didn't exist. He clearly means that gaming in the Middle East (as with other regions he mentioned ) just greatly expanded since Playstation came out

Not trying to play devil's advocate here but maybe he meant to say Playstation was the first console to be mainstream and popular in the Middle East?
Yes, I agree. But :
That doesn't mean he didn't word it in a way that sounds White Savior as fuck
That's the problem.
Jim Ryan never saw my cousin's "Megason" I take it.
ww6duy7hd5r11.jpg

Also, we played a lot of PC games, we used to buy a ton of eh.. less than legal discs in the flea markets.
Well that's the thing. Jim Ryan is a CEO. So he always talk as "official" market.

Jan 18, 2018
Do y'all really not see what's wrong with this statement or are y'all really just bending over backwards to defend a brand ? Is it the privilege or the fanboyism that makes y'all like this?

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

Do you think the Middle Easterners in the OP as well as people posting from the ME in this topic is cancel culture?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Dude is just shit at his job, as far as PR is concerned. It's not hard to acknowledge you're bad at doing interviews and appoint a PR chief to handle them in your place, unless you're so arrogant that you need people to see your face all the time.
Hell I can agree he sucks at PR, but I don't get the constant up in arms about stuff he says...

fiendcode that's a big stretch from him thinking Playstation pioneered the gaming scene in a specific region. How did you get to racism?

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
What a thread, lol.

I predict 10+ pages with most of them having nothing to do with the OP.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
This thread is now re-opened to discussion, but we're going to lay down some ground rules here. Whether Jim Ryan's comment was what he meant or not is not the discussion. It's what he said, and what he said was insulting to people in the Middle East. Dismissing that or handwaving it will be met with strict moderation. If your sole purpose in this thread is to defend the corporate PR executive of your favorite gaming company, you'd be much better off just not posting.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
CEOs of major companies know damn well how to use more nuanced language than "never" or "always". Lots of reporting, forecasting, and presenting of information in business includes a bit of wiggle room for legal reasons. The idea that he really meant "not as much" when he said "never" seems silly with that in mind.
The idea that a whole region with many diverse countries wouldn't play video games through the 90s is ludicrous.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
User banned (3 days): Trolling. Metacommentary.
Another Jim Ryan interview, another clanger of a soundbite that people will quote and refer to years later. I think it's time for the dude to cease partaking in interviews and PR full stop.

SalesEra and NintendoEra leave and SonyEra rises up. This is another level or corporate defense.

I knew in my heart of hearts that the moment the Media Create community left this site, the level of corporate defending here would rise.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Incredible how Jim Ryan cant take 3 steps in the right direction, its always one step right, one still and one backwards.

And yes, rich, powerful white execs in gaming can and should take some criticism when its due.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's what Jim meant, but he didn't exactly articulate it in the best way did he.
And if he did mean it how it reads .. yikes man.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
oh, Jim, I am Brazilian, and while I have played most of my life on Ps1, Ps2, Ps3, and Ps4 I had played video games before Playstation. The world existed before the Ps1 you know.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Can't believe we're still doing the "B-but it probably wasn't meant to be offensive!" song and dance. Intent doesn't really matter if a bunch of middle eastern people were offended by his comment. It also reinforces this horrible western idea that the middle east didn't have anything of worth before a bunch of western corporations saved them with their products. Gross.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
i thought it was pretty clear that all he meant that the market has just greatly expanded since PlayStation?

No? this is not what he meant at all, he said we didn't have a gaming culture before PS which is horribly wrong, this is what he said:

(We opened up markets that had never had any gaming culture ever. Middle East... people had never played games before PlayStation in the Middle East.)

Not only NES (which was very big, like, almost in every house big), SNES, Sega Genesis and Gameboy were big, even NeoGeo had faithful following and sold relatively well, SNK had a big following in the region.

Arcades, rental stores, etc. video games were everywhere. ME has always been obsessed about video games, especially that many countries in the region do have hot weather and people spend long time inside the house, home entertainment has always been big in the region.

Captain Tsubasa game from Tecmo on NES had Arabic translation all that time back. I never investigated how did this happen and if it was an official release or a hack, but this is just how popular the thing was.