• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn shit, an old rich white man said something controversial and wrong? I gotta jump to his defense!!

What the hell is wrong with some people lol

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
i thought it was pretty clear that all he meant that the market has just greatly expanded since PlayStation?

He doesn't really leave any lines to read between in his comment - he literally says they had never played games before.

I think the most "charitable" read you could make, is that perhaps he meant some other market and misspoke. Not that I think this is something worth getting upset about to begin with. At worst it's ignorance, not malice.

Oct 27, 2017
PC's and NES were what most people played with growing up. Infact, NES was still being played until the 2000s.
Same goes to Sega Mega Drive. Stores would sell discs with 300 or so roms and an emulator.

Perhaps he means business wise? Still, he is wrong.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
User banned (1 week): Dismissive commentary over a sensitive topic
Yikes
I find it pathetic that other users are insulted for expressing their opinion in this thread.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I think we all know what he meant but if your the CEO of the company then you should come prepared.

About what he meant, people in the Middle East have played since the 80s but from the business point of view it was mostly imported consoles with pirated games especially for the ps1 and 2 so there was not a market for the official console release until the ps3.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
What is there to misconstrue? His literal quote is "people had not played games before PlayStation in the Middle East."
He didn't say we expanded the market like Bernie Stolar could have with X-Men Vs Street Fighter on the Saturn in North America.
It's pretty cut and dry.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
Why are people defending a dumb as fuck comment from the freaking CEO of the PlayStation? And who said Middle eastern are over reacting, you can't be from middle east and hear this dumb "misphrased" take and not be somewhat offended, isn't it completely normal.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Not trying to play devil's advocate here but maybe he meant to say Playstation was the first console to be mainstream and popular in the Middle East?
The new and game boy and N64 was popular here in Saudi Arabia.

Even pepsie was promoting game boy and game boy colors every now and then.

I said the same thing in the other thread and people thought i am just taking thing literally.

Deleted member 44122

Why are people defending a dumb as fuck comment from the freaking CEO of the PlayStation? And who said Middle eastern are over reacting, you can't be from middle east and hear this dumb "misphrased" take and not be somewhat offended, isn't it completely normal.
even if youd take his comment literal, what is there to be offended about?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
even if youd take his comment literal, what is there to be offended about?

It's just more ignorance about the Middle East from a white man that insinuates that people were backward and behind the times. And he's in a position to be heard and respected. Someone who doesn't know better will carry on those idiotic remarks. Its only thanks to people like us calling him out that you'll know better.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
PC's and NES were what most people played with growing up. Infact, NES was still being played until the 2000s.
Same goes to Sega Mega Drive. Stores would sell discs with 300 or so roms and an emulator.

Perhaps he means business wise? Still, he is wrong.
I feel like a very, very generous reading of Jim's words would be that he meant the Middle-East starting getting fully legal, day-and-date console game releases with PlayStation (thereby eliminating PC gaming and Famiclones from the conversation). I can't speak for Middle-Easterners, of course, but I do think that was the case in India.

Of course, though, there were literally a million better ways to phrase that than "No one played games here before we showed up" lol

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Yikes
I find it pathetic that other users are insulted for expressing their opinion in this thread.

> Middle Eastern people saying this statement made by Jim is wrong
> Your first reaction is "YIKES"

We have people here defending this obviously wrong statement and you are here complaining about "people insulting other users for expressing their opinions"? lmao

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know who prepares Jim Ryan for these interviews and talks but either they're total incompetents, or Jim Ryan is a fool who doesn't listen to his team for talking points.

A person in his position being that ignorant about a subject like this is quite weird, but at the very least don't make broad statements like that painting yourself in a corner.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a very, very generous reading of Jim's words would be that he meant the Middle-East starting getting fully legal, day-and-date console game releases with PlayStation (thereby eliminating PC gaming and Famiclones from the conversation). I can't speak for Middle-Easterners, of course, but I do think that was the case in India.

Of course, though, there were literally a million better ways to phrase that than "No one played games here before we showed up" lol
Perhaps.

Growing up we had PS1s and 2s but they were mostly pirated, same with other hardware actually.

Still, the biggest gaming device over there to this day is PC (with Steam) and mobile. Maybe he is talking about the gulf countries though as I hear console gaming there is popular.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Jimbo seems like a guy who goes off-script and then just slips-up, maybe he shouldn't.
And he doesn't seem to be too good with words, he isn't a fluent talker.

I'd be far worse than him, but I'm no CEO.

Or maybe he's ignorant about gaming in the middle east and just made up some shit.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Jim is a native english speaker, saying that he meant "Thanks to PlayStation the gaming industry grew in the Middle East" instead of "Gaming didn't exist in ME before PlayStation" is a good ass spin to justify your beloved CEO.

Oct 26, 2017
Saudi Arabia
Was the Playstation the first console that was officially sold there? Did he mean that?
No, NeoGeo and Mega Drive were sold via official distributors. They also come with Arabic manuals but sadly no Arabic localization for games.
Also, in the 80s, we had MSX with Arabic games being sold via Sakhr (A Kuwaiti Company). So saying Middle East didn't play games before PS1 is wrong.

Heck, we even had gaming magazines too before PS1! You can't have these if gaming is not already popular in the region and "gaming culture" is already there.

Markratos

Feb 15, 2020
> Middle Eastern people saying this statement made by Jim is wrong
> Your first reaction is "YIKES"

We have people here defending this obviously wrong statement and you are here complaining about "people insulting other users for expressing their opinions"? lmao
What are you talking about?
I'm just saying that in this forum you should be able to express an opinion without being attacked. It is not difficult to understand imo

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Another "Jim Ryan says something very dumb" and people saying "yeah but he really meant this which isn't bad/dumb" thread.

His words don't need justifying / contextualizing. Sometimes a spade is a spade; Jim says dumb crap and should just stop.
Yeah, the guy gets paid very well to do his job, giving interviews is part of that job, so he should choose his words better.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i thought it was pretty clear that all he meant that the market has just greatly expanded since PlayStation?
No. He explicitly says "(they) never played videogames before and that "culture" didn't exist.

Did people even read the interview before even start defending the rich guy?

Not trying to play devil's advocate here but maybe he meant to say Playstation was the first console to be mainstream and popular in the Middle East?
That's ignorance, and still it comes from racism and xenophobia (given how he included Russia and Spain)

An example:
superjumpmagazine.com

A Console You’ve Never Heard of Kickstarted Gaming in the Middle East

Sakhr was the first (and last, so far) Middle Eastern video game console

But no, he just assumes other countries (aka non-white / poor / non-English speaking) are backwards and never had gaming culture until the white man's company saved from being uncultured.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what's sadder, his comments or the people here trying to defend him by claiming he didn't say the thing he said.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I'm just saying that in this forum you should be able to express an opinion without being attacked. It is not difficult to understand imo

Defending an obvious statement regarding a country from which you have people living there telling you it's wrong is not "expressing your opinions" it does not work like that lol

Jim Ryan: "People didn't play games in the ME before PlayStation"
Actual ME people: "No we did with plenty of consoles"
ERA user: "ACTUALLY Jim Ryan tried to say this instead of that"

How can you tell me the "ERA user" pool is "expressing an opinion" when it's factually wrong? Jim speaks english, if he wanted to say "we grew the gaming industry in the ME with PlayStation" he could've said simple and clear. He was wrong but some people here can't comprehend this.

Oct 27, 2017
No, NeoGeo and Mega Drive were sold via official distributors. They also come with Arabic manuals but sadly no Arabic localization for games.
Also, in the 80s, we had MSX with Arabic games being sold via Sakhr (A Kuwaiti Company). So saying Middle East didn't play games before PS1 is wrong.

Heck, we even had gaming magazines too before PS1! You can't have these if gaming is not already popular in the region and "gaming culture" is already there.
Thanks for bringing this up.

So even business wise he is wrong...

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or is he involved in some sort of controversy quite often? They really should have someone else do the PR and interviews, because he doesn't seem to be good at making his points clearly.

Fai

Mar 1, 2020
All he had to do was look at the MSX and the languages/countries it was supported by.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

You have a very broad definition of attacked, no? This is a pretty black and white case, he said something extremely dumb. Defending him is being objectively wrong. What are people supposed to do, not call out the weirdness in defending these comments?

It's not a case of opinion vs opinion.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
He 100% meant there was no gaming or any culture of it there. He said so in plain English, and he is clearly singling out the Middle East from other regions and countries in that regard. Defending him when his words are pretty clear is just next level embarrassing.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Dismissive commentary over a sensitive topic, multiple prior bans for console wars
Jesus Christ, Era...

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The new and game boy and N64 was popular here in Saudi Arabia.

Even pepsie was promoting game boy and game boy colors every now and then.

I said the same thing in the other thread and people thought i am just taking thing literally.
Were these grey imports though? US or Japanese consoles? From what I can see the N64 was not officially released in the Middle East.

Technically those would have been counted in US/Japan industry sales, as they would have been purchased there and sold on.

Almost certainly what he meant, legit sales instead of grey imports only.

But what he actually said is very stupid.

Markratos

Feb 15, 2020
Defending an obvious statement regarding a country from which you have people living there telling you it's wrong is not "expressing your opinions" it does not work like that lol

Jim Ryan: "People didn't play games in the ME before PlayStation"
Actual ME people: "No we did with plenty of consoles"
ERA user: "ACTUALLY Jim Ryan tried to say this instead of that"

How can you tell me the "ERA user" pool is "expressing an opinion" when it's factually wrong? Jim speaks english, if he wanted to say "they grew the gaming industry in the ME with PlayStation" he could've said simple and clear. He was wrong but some people here can't comprehend this.
These users expressed their opinion about what they think he was trying to say in this context.
While I still think the way Ryan expressed himself is unfortunate, I don't think these users deserve this treatment.

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
Remids me of that quote on some forum that "childhood only existed since 20th century"

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Sony can't seem to get a PR win lately, what a weird remark
I constantly ask myself why they're trying to put Jim Ryan in that public face of the company thing similar to Reggie, Shawn Layden, etc. He doesn't come off as personable, doesn't have the charisma and constantly says things at odds with the consumer base.