• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Matt Booty, head of Microsoft's Xbox Game Studios, has said that his team is aiming to release a first-party Xbox game about every three months.

MATT BOOTY:
"I think about like how long you spend with a game and just sort of the cadence of discovery there," Booty explained. "So if you can do a game every three months, and if a game takes somewhere between two years and four years, I mean, just think about things that have come out recently, you know, things like Red Dead and God of War need to be getting into five, six years. Right? But let's just say for the sorts of studios, like a Ninja Theory or a Double Fine that two, three years starts to be the cadence, right?

"So, then if you've got a game a quarter and you're taking two to three years." Booty continued. "You can kind of back into the math and say, well wow, you probably need somewhere between 10 and 12 studios. But... making games is not yet a perfect science, right? There's no creative endeavor that is. So there's going to be things that take longer. There's going to be some things that we start and say, hey, great idea, but it just isn't, you know, the Jello doesn't want to set. Right. Um, and so I think we need some, some buffer in there, right? So the first, that's kind of my basic answers. We'd love to be feeding a high quality game into game pass about every three months."

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
User Warned - Low Effort Driveby
Still not as good as Nintendo yet unfortunately...

Oct 25, 2017
Right, it would be smaller games (AAish) releasing more frequently. It makes sense considering their subscription service. It doesn't lend itself to long waits between major releases.

And while they may not be able to meet this goal on a consistent basis (as Booty said, it is tough sticking to a schedule like that), it gives them something to aim for internally with all their studios.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With all those AA type indie games that were shown during E3 I think thts doable. Them saying that doesn't say much though. They love to get ahead of themselves with pr shit to then disappoint.

I knew gamepass was going to affect their focus on AAA games, since gamepass is cannabalizing sales and they aren't looking to stand alone software sales because of their gamepass model they will be more focused on bringing out lower budget games. I said this back then when gamepass first game out. Not pleased with this focus at all.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Quality over quantity. I hope they understand that
I mean with the setup they have in terms of the amount of studios they have, they're saying 2-3 years dev time

Honestly with Microsoft taking the Netflix approach this is something I expected. They want they're studios pumping new games out constantly to keep the amount of exclusive games up for XGP. It will obviously take a while to reach that though since they need to let their studios get up to speed but I say with two to three years they may reach the goal they're going for.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Considering the anemic amount of big games in the XB1's late life, they sure as fuck better release games frequently on the next one. They've had a looong time to build up a portfolio!

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
They got tired of people making fun of them not having any exclusives

So they got ALL THE EXCLUSIVES

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You can if you launch rushed and unfinished games just with the excuse of "it's on gamepass game as service".

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
I can see that happening in future.

They got the studios now to support it.

And what's up with all these salty replies? lmao.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Quality over quantity. I hope they understand that

They have one of the best first person shooters, 3rd person shooters, Sim Racers, Arcade Racers, 2D Platformers, and probably Flight Sims (as seen at E3).

They can do quality, they just need to add some action/adventure to the mix.

People act like they don't have Horizon 4 and Ori...two of the best games in their entire genre. I'd go as far as saying Horizon is the best arcade racing series ever at this point.

I personally think they have the best Zombie Survival game in State of Decay 2 also...and the best exclusive RTS games.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Sounds great! Hopefully most of them are unique smaller scale games like Ori/Psychonauts/Battletoads.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Not with gamepass, they want to get as much out there regardless of quality.

What? Just about everything on GamePass is quality. The whole point in building a larger roster of studios is to allow your teams to have the time they need. That way you don't have the same rotation of teams needing to hit their specific quarter. He explains it right in OP when talking about having a buffer.

There's no reason we can't have high quality games with this goal.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats rubbish, its in the OP post, you dont pay for a 4 year cycle if your dont fully believe your making a quality product, and Gamepass would collapse onto itself if the promise of games was mediocre to bad. Your post makes no sense.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
With all those AA type indie games that were shown during E3 I think thts doable. Them saying that doesn't say much though. They love to get ahead of themselves with pr shit to then disappoint.

I knew gamepass was going to affect their focus on AAA games, since gamepass is cannabalizing sales and they aren't looking to stand alone software sales because of their gamepass model they will be more focused on bringing out lower budget games. I said this back then when gamepass first game out. Not pleased with this focus at all.
That would be a worrying trend. It makes sense but they'd be wise not to put their eggs in this basket.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I don't see them following through on any promises as they havent delivered any compelling AAA single player narrative driven game that is New and not in their Holy Trinity stable. How can we trust them to piece meal anything down the pipeline And frankly I'm tired of seeing people defending Microsoft saying just give them another year and making that same sad excuse. I know that excuse cause I've been using that for the better part of this generation and its just left such a sour tainted taste in my mouth I really have no reason to invest in their "next generation" of consoles. As Sony continues to prove...its all about the games and not power.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
hm... seems they're going quantity over quality, then play the number game when they advertise game pass.

hopefully they deliver some quality, or some of their new acquisitions will be in danger

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
That's gonna be hard with the number of studios they have now, unless they plan on acquiring even more studios.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I think they already have 10-12 studios already, some with multiple teams on board. So they should theoretically be able to release a game a month, but they know that would be crazy to even try at this point. That's why Booty is talking about a "buffer" and releasing only 4 games a year, it's to focus on quality more.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you buy every studio out there you could have releases as often as you want

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Concern trolling the thread.

We heard about this at the start of the year, in that it was specified as one AAA game per quarter.

Oct 25, 2017

What is this, we havent seen MS giving games so much dev time since, hmm, forever i guess, and frankly, the idea that AAA equals quality is completely and utterly ridiculous, i would rather have 10 psychonauts than one call of duty

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Seems easily doable considering how much they've grown and that they're likely going to continue to grow. Obviously game development never goes perfectly so they may miss here and there but generally it seems like an achievable pace to hit.