• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God, that shit was embarassing. I remember playing the game and my mom came into the room. Totally normal conversation shot like... well, you know what like. Man, I caught some shit for that.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Here's your thread reminder that you can still be sexy without being sexist/objectifying: this is a story moment which is not about sex and changing the camera angle actually improves what the story the scene is trying to tell you about, cus surprising butt shots do not help to tell the story of a woman talking about her abusive father who just kidnapped her sister. Like I love Miranda and her story but shit like this always got in the way of that story and made it worse. The character deserves better. The female players deserve better. For all you who complain? Suck it.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Women who have to deal with constant sexism in gaming spheres, even on supposedly progressive forums like resetera, might have more of a horse in this race.

This forum is mostly progressive towards certain parties more than others. Want proof? See how long a POC or black-centric gaming thread lasts outside the month of February. Way less long than troll threads. Also think about how long it took mods to finally realize that people saying "who?"in every black musical artist thread is a little fucked up.

What you're dealing with here is a game that's a rare time capsule to an age where marketing thought white dudes with guns and sex sells. It should be insulting to you that they're pandering for easy brownie points by changing a few camera angles because it's a remaster instead of doing an overhaul of most of all of the sexist stuff in the game. I could bring up the fact that there's only about 5 negroes in the entire galaxy of Mass Effect(and one of them is modeled after fucking Kanye West) and be upset about it, but I understand the fact that this game is a time capsule to a weirder, more marketed time.

I don't want to play the game of "who has it worse" with you.

The horse in the race I have is for the next title, not this old set of titles that have been slightly altered to win some points with certain parties.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Oh come on there's been smut since the beginning of time made for men and women. Mass Effect isn't some kind of high art.

Its not about high art, its about letting women feel more welcome in a hobby that is netoriously unwelcoming and sexist, you fucking chud. Only "high art" shouldn't be sexist?

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that screenshot even turn me off. I'm glad they change this, specially after read a bit the context of the scene.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope my messages don't make you think you're wrong to enjoy this change, as it wasn't my purpose for posting it.

Reading the interview of Hudson shared above, which I never saw before, now I have the confirmation it was made for narrative purpose and there was an intention to underline her "role", it could be perceived in other ways, as I said, there're probably ways to have the same effect without those glamorous camera angles, so I don't mind the change.

Now sure, question would be if they were aware of the male gaze when doing so, and a question Bioware asked themselves.

Oh yeah no don't worry about me. I wanted to bring up my own recent experience regarding defending something from legit criticism in favour of pretending it's already as good as it'll get, but I realized it wasn't entirely applicable to the current situation so I axed that paragraph.

I think it's true that writers preempt their self-criticism of including a woman in bikini armour in a fantasy game by justifying in their head why it's okay, that "it's easier to maneuver around" or "she needs to feel sunlight on her skin to access her powers" or whatever. They know it's horny but you can't tell a whole bunch of potential buyers "yeah I drew this woman like this because I was horny" so they couch it with vague platitudes.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Good. They were a bit too much. Like half of Miranda's cutscenes had a shot of her ass at least once. It was ridiculous.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
The thing is, to many people, especially the neckbeard male capital G Gamer crowd, objectification (and even misogyny) *IS* sexy. It's something they actively want in games. So to them, removing anything like this is "censorship" and "making the game less sexy", etc.

But such people are not worth bothering with. This is a great change.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
No, fuck fan service. Such a pervert thing over all, and it almost always comes off as creepy as it is.

Glad they made these changes. More games should follow suit (I'm looking at you jrpgs).
Agree to disagree then. Male and female fanservice has its place. I see nothing wrong with it. The example from this thread however was always wrong and felt weird even at the time.

Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of Miranda, am I the only one who found her character model to always look weird? (Even in ME3)

I felt she looked kinda uncanny. Maybe it's because they tried scanning an actress' face for her and didn't have the tech to get it completely right, but there was always something off about the way she looked imo.

I always thought they did a pretty good job recreating Yvonne Strahovski's likeness. Certainly better than some other contemporary examples... like Jessica Chobot in ME3.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
"But her ass is part of her character!"

Miranda was always my least favourite part of Mass 2 because of Bioware pulling pretty much that exact trope. "She's genetically enhanced to look like this! It wasn't her choice! She was designed to be able to use her good looks to gain every advantage possible! She actually hates it if you get to know her! And that explains why she wears skin-tight leathers and why we have all these gratuitous camera angles... I think..."

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Butt shots in a romantic or flirtatious scene are fine. Butt shots whenever a woman is otherwise simply talking is literally objectification.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's just two quick shots so it doesn't really matter but it would be disappointing if they remove more. A certain level of cheesecake is part of Mass effect

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They honestly weren't lmao. The games were actually seen as pretty progressive for their time since you could pursue gay relationships with NPCs.
This isn't even true and a significant re-writing of history

The game in question that is doing this to Miranda was the least "progressive" of them all as they didn't even allow a woman to be with the totally not gay because they are aliens and not female bullshit.

It wasn't even until ME3 that MaleShep could even approach being gay.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
How people can even become attracted to video game characters past a superficial level is weird to me. Welcome changes all around.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do realize that many things that are Racist or Anti-LbGT are done by people very specifically.

And just like when Yakuza removed/changed problematic content regarding how it treats characters/minorities it's a good thing, it's a good thing here.

Objectification of a woman is no better than the above, and focusing on her butt when she talks about her abusive father is not just fanservice, it is objectification.
It's great to have you back, Beth.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I mean, it's understandable.. the backlash, mainly in the US would be not something EA would like to have ..again - after (Sexbox controversy)

But on the other hand, even here in Europe I don't see for example in the case if CDPR wouldn't decide for a remake of the first Witcher game to drop the erotic art from the cards/or the card(sex) system entirely and not just because of the reaction of the US market

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should just remove the Asari altogether considering they're basically a pubescent teenage nerd scifi fetish made reality.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Like Mass Effect was essentially the WRPG equivalent of a movie like Basic Instinct.
Ah yes, that classic sci fi adventure movie, Basic Instinct.

I've heard it compared to many things - Blade Runner, Star Trek, Ghost in the Shell, Minority Report, etc. NEVER Basic Instinct.

Is there not room for light smut in gaming when that was kind of the point?
The issue was this WASN'T "the point". Many of those shots were there during moments of a character talking about her trauma or pleading with you to save someone's life. The game's script and character were at odds with what the camera was focusing on.

It's all about context. If you romance her, guess what? She'll drag you to the maintenance deck and start getting freaky, because that's sort of presentation makes sense for the context of the scenario that's being presented to you... not during a key point of a character expressing her vulnerabilities or talking about her abuse.

Asking a genuine question here, I don't really care about the changes but I find the support for them here fascinating.
I'm going to safely assume the reason is because, well, you're a heterosexual male who is accustomed to the male gaze being the default view to consume media.

And Mass Effect quickly grew beyond that.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even true and a significant re-writing of history

The game in question that is doing this to Miranda was the least "progressive" of them all as they didn't even allow a woman to be with the totally not gay because they are aliens and not female bullshit.

It wasn't even until ME3 that MaleShep could even approach being gay.

My bad if that's the case. I haven't played them in what feels like a decade.

vastick

Banned
May 4, 2019
You are using the term fanservice to describe male titillation. It's not 1960 anymore and the wider audience does not need tits and asses to sell videogames.
I'm using the term fanservice correctly as it is mostly male titillation as you call it. Which again, there is nothing wrong with it. And it may not be 1960 but to give you an example, Game of Thrones was the most popular show of the last decade and had gratutious nudity every other episode. I guess you were also against it and if they remade it you'll want all those scenes removed?

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using the term fanservice correctly as it is mostly male titillation as you call it. Which again, there is nothing wrong with it. And it may not be 1960 but to give you an example, Game of Thrones was the most popular show of the last decade and had gratutious nudity every other episode. I guess you were also against it and if they remade it you'll want all those scenes removed?

Game of Thrones was repeatedly and deservedly blasted for its horrendous misogyny but please do go on

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I wish they would just add in more Garrus ass shots to balance things out.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Good that shit is immature. I don't mind romance options even with nudity, but the shots just for the sake of the male gaze are very cringe. Makes me think of Witcher games and Game of Thrones, both of which I love but had some super cringey and immature sexual content

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Agree to disagree then. Male and female fanservice has its place. I see nothing wrong with it. The example from this thread however was always wrong and felt weird even at the time.

It's OT... but totally disagree. Video games aren't about getting erect or damp. Attractive representation is fine, but various ass and crotch shots or excessive zoom ins which is constant - and often on border line legal age characters is a plague of the industry.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, that classic sci fi adventure movie, Basic Instinct.

I've heard it compared to many things - Blade Runner, Star Trek, Ghost in the Shell, Minority Report, etc. NEVER Basic Instinct.

The issue was this WASN'T "the point". Many of those shots were there during moments of a character talking about her trauma or pleading with you to save someone's life. The game's script and character were at odds with what the camera was focusing on.

It's all about context. If you romance her, guess what? She'll drag you to the maintenance deck and start getting freaky, because that's sort of presentation makes sense for the context of the scenario that's being presented to you... not during a key point of a character expressing her vulnerabilities or talking about her abuse.

I'm going to safely assume the reason is because, well, you're a heterosexual male who is accustomed to the male gaze being the default view to consume media.

And Mass Effect quickly grew beyond that.

I only used Basic Instinct to make a point that there are movies where the gratuitous shots are the point. That's how I remember Mass Effect.

I want to make it clear that you're last point is absolutely correct. I am accustomed to the male gaze as the default and it certainly adds a layer of bias. Perhaps it is wrong of me to think there is a place in gaming for that ridiculous kind of shot just like there is a place in film and music. In those mediums people write it off whereas in gaming it's not acceptable, I find that interesting.

Also, that shot is pointless and it really doesn't change the game, I agree.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My bad if that's the case. I haven't played them in what feels like a decade.
I'll be honest, if you really can't remember how this series is treating it's Minorities (hell not even just women, there are plenty of PoC that have issues with how their characters are written, and everyone of those critiques are valid) then maybe you shouldn't be trying to defend this shit.

Especially when BioWare wouldn't even bring themselves to say FemShep and Liara where a LBGT ship, FemShep was totally straight and fell for a non gendered Alien remember and your argument was they had *gay* relationships.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

It's a horny role-playing space adventure. It's not meant to be serious.

Eiy7CnR.png

So dumb... Why don't we got vacuum-sealed dick pants? 🙄 🤣

1370902028-wornout-click2.jpg

(Bowie ruined my childhood innocence haha)

Oct 27, 2017
They should have put butt shots for men. Preferably if they zoomed inn and the butt cheeks were vacuumed into the pants. Why? Because I am sure these people complaining about it will be OK with it.

Jokes aside, this is a great change. It was always very awkward whenever it happened.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Butt shots in a romantic or flirtatious scene are fine. Butt shots whenever a woman is otherwise simply talking is literally objectification.

I have to agree. Even though I didn't make a big deal about it back then it always seemed like an out of place shot. In the end if people are offended by this change it's not like they can't play the original games.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That didn't prevented it form being a massive hit with women
"In spite of" or "because of"?

Because something can be a hit in spite of many problematic areas.

A vast number of women said they were fans of the show and requested the titillation be turned down. That INCLUDES the actual actresses who were in the show and who were very uncomfortable with a lot of what was being asked of them.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
As has been stated, context matters. Smut books where someone is talking about going to dinner and the author randomly throws in "and she had massive tits" is objectifying and sexist. The horniness of Mass Effect can and should prevail but not in a disrespectful way. The butt shot was both contextually sexist and just really fucking stupid so I don't know why people are complaining. 95% of the games horniness is in proper context.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
That didn't prevented it form being a massive hit with women
Nor did the objectification of Miranda's ass prevent Mass Effect being a massive hit, and Bioware games all tend to attract a bigger female audience than most AAA titles. That doesn't mean the objectification isn't an issue, nor does it mean the devs shouldn't strive to improve in this regard. Same goes for GoT's showrunners.