• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
That they couldn't change the animations worries me as an indication that the changes to the games are more surface level than expected :/

There will be barely any changes.
60 dollars is way too much considering they were selling the trilogy on last gen for 5 bucks on sales.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
It was weird having a conversation about her troubled relationship with her father with the camera zoomed in on her swinging ass.

Part of the game is fucking these characters, so I don't think the change was needed. But I also don't really care that they changed it.
Eh, there's a time and place. It'd be an overall improvement IMO if they removed the random butt cams and put in nudity in the sex scenes, even if the way ratings work means it'd just be topless female characters.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Great. ME can retain the sense of sexuality without being pervy about it. They were from another time in videogames and we can move forward.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't get why people would be upset about Bioware improving these games for this remaster. I mean I "get" it (people are fucking trash), but I can't at all empathize with it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's great. There was no real reason for it to be there.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
CautiousRemarkableBonobo-max-1mb.gif

Don't mind me.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As stated, the game has plenty of sexy moments... when the context for them is appropriate.

It's probably not the right time to have the camera leering at Miranda's butt while she tells you about her abusive father and kidnapped sister.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think it's important to note that many of these shots were in situations where there was no sexual element or undercurrent to the interactions and conversation. They were serious and or straight forward scenes.

Having a more suggestive or outright blatant butt shots in like a romance scene is cool and makes sense, there's relevant context, but when you're just talking about like rescuing a kidnapped and imprisoned sister or Collectors kidnapping civilians to turn them to space goo or whatever having a shot looking at someone's ass is kind of wildly out of order.

Just because the games overall heavily feature romantic elements and ability to flirt with companions doesn't mean it's justifiable to just drop in weirdly suggestive and objectifying stuff wherever.

As stated, the game has plenty of sexy moments... when the context for them is appropriate.

It's probably not the right time to have the camera leering at Miranda's butt while she tells you about her abusive father and kidnapped sister.
Bingo.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
If I want to look at a video-game character's butt, I'll get the angle right and/or zoom on it as the good lord intended.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
What? How? Are game characters not allowed to be sexy? Is there not an ongoing *27 page* thread about the RE8 lady? Miss me with that shit.

An ongoing 27 page thread that multiple women have said made them very uncomfortable and was rife with sexist bullshit, yes.

To be clear, nothing wrong with the actual character in RE8.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? How? Are game characters not allowed to be sexy? Is there not an ongoing *27 page* thread about the RE8 lady? Miss me with that shit.

It'd probably be weird if while REVIII Big Vampire Lady started talking about, like, how sad she is being a horrible monster and how she was forced to become one to survive and then the camera is focusing on her boobs.

Like notice how nobody here is saying "excellent, now to remove the sex scenes!" because those are there to be definitely sexy. It's the characters rolling in the hay, of course you're gonna see their butts at that point.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
unfortunately that's just chopping off the tip of the iceberg of objectifying bullshit in Mass Effect. but still better than nothing.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
This is incredibly weird.

When you think about it...is it though?

They even tried to make Liara's mom look sexy in 1 at times, and then there's Jack, the strip joints, sex scenes, the random woman(who's a fan of you) that they appointed to read your emails in 2 and compliment you constantly, and there was also that time they turned Edi into a sexy naked robot and then there was the Ashley makeover in 3...

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

It's a weird camera shot when she's talking about how she saved her sister from her abusive and manipulative father; there's a time and place for this and the cinematography is just weird here (like in most BioWare games where the camera is either off centered or focuses in weird places like someone's torso or back for some reason).

people will still get the butt shots and whatnot when it actually serves a purpose in the scene

May 17, 2018
I'm sure the (cringy) sex scenes are still in, but the male gaze objectifying of Miranda was pretty uncomfortable.
Having close up shots of asses isn't just "being sexy", it's pure objectifying.
It'd probably be weird if while REVIII Big Vampire Lady started talking about, like, how sad she is being a horrible monster and how she was forced to become one to survive and then the camera is focusing on her boobs.

Like notice how nobody here is saying "excellent, now to remove the sex scenes!" because those are there to be definitely sexy. It's the characters rolling in the hay, of course you're gonna see their butts at that point.

Y'all, I'm fine with them taking out the gratuitous stuff, but, I'm specifically taking about the franchise having a sexy vibe *as a whole*, which is what that person called "incredibly weird."

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
When you think about it...is it though?

They even tried to make Liara's mom look sexy in 1 at times, and then there's Jack, the strip joints, sex scenes, the random woman(who's a fan of you) that they appointed to read your emails in 2 and compliment you constantly, and there was also that time they turned Edi into a sexy naked robot...
Nothing wrong with sexy. But when the depiction of sexualised stuff across the outfits, character design, strip clubs, romance scenes etc is so completely one-sided, and has the camera eyeing up just the female characters and npcs constantly, it's objectification rather than 'sexy', even if the latter is what the presumed target audience is taking from it.

Last edited:

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
I don't know how I can live on without knowing I won't get 20 seconds of fan service during mass effect 2

no butt... why play

/s

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
But the butts part of her character!

/s I jest!
You don't need the /s.

www.vg247.com

Loving FemShep: BioWare’s first lady finally steps forward

She's a full-blown protagonist in both Mass Effect 1 and 2, but unless you've played her you may never have seen her. W…
But, Silverman says, Miranda's sexiness is an important part of her character – and she's not the only one.

"The fact is, some characters are defined by their attractiveness, such as a woman who is genetically engineered to be perfect," he argued.

"Camera angles help tell the story and portray key aspects of each character – in Miranda's case, her curves and sexuality. We had similar shots of Jacob."

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I get what people are saying about Mass Effect and its sexiness, sure the romance options and such. Its similar with Dragon Age I suppose but you retain that vibe and not have ridiculous camera shots like that arse one. it was not even in the context of scene if I remember.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind the change, it won't change my enjoyment for the game, but wasn't it an artistic decision regarding how she was engineered to be a perfect social mercenary, being given a high intellect, perfect social and seductive skills, and that her "whole" arc was about to be detached from what she was initially made for?

I'm sure you can tell the same story without those camera angles, so again, it doesn't change my enjoyment for the game, but I always thought it was an intended decision, and that the more you move forward with the character, the less those angles are used to help the narration.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That they couldn't change the animations worries me as an indication that the changes to the games are more surface level than expected :/

It would be incredibly expensive to go in and make some deep changes. Surface level improvements and QoL fixes, plus a more cohesive package with everything included is what you should expect.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
When the depiction of sexualised stuff is so completely one-sided, and has the camera eyeing up just the female characters constantly, it's objectification rather than 'sexy', even if the latter is what the presumed target audience is taking from it.

I mean, I could find some Garrus butt shots, some Jacob, Male Shep, and Vega shirtless shots and butt shots... I think the games objectified everyone lol.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, go ahead but I get a sneaky feeling a lot of the questionable dialogue options and lines will stay.

I am very much pro having games with sexual elements but that ass shot was just anime levels of bad.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
TBH, weird camera shots are the least problematic content in ME trilogy. It's the outfits and character models (Samara, Miranda, EDI, Jack, Benezia and few others), not the camera angles.