• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

The first thing that strikes me in Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga isn't a bolt of blaster fire, but the game's stunning visual presentation. Developer Traveller's Tales latest dive into the galaxy far, far away covers much of the same cinematic ground as 2007's Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, but this totally rebuilt, re-imagined entry immediately looks leaps and bounds better than its predecessor.

My 90-minute hands-on preview begins at the start of Episode IV, on Princess Leia's diplomatic ship, as she's attempting to keep the recently acquired Death Star plans away from Darth Vader. In The Complete Saga, the Corellian Corvette is mostly comprised of bland corridors and rooms covered in white and gray hues. Fifteen years later, this same environment pops from the screen with vibrant colors, authentic details, and more slick visual effects than you can swing a lightsaber at.

As I trade rounds with Stormtroopers, sparks and steam emit from damaged electrical devices, computer terminals glow and flash with rainbow-rivaling variety, and red, rotating cones of light from triggered alarms realistically reflect off the ship's shiny floors. Despite the many immersive details on display, there's no mistaking the scene as anything but a space meticulously constructed from tiny, toy bricks. Exposed studs, visible seams where pieces connect, and the occasional glimpse of the iconic Lego logo regularly remind me I'm just a lightsaber swipe away from reducing my dark side foes to a pile of plastic.

More than just pretty new cutscenes though, many objectives and puzzles have been reworked or entirely changed. A bit deeper into my demo, we find ourselves at Mos Eisley spaceport, fending off Stormtroopers while Chewbacca readies the Millennium Falcon for take-off. In the original game, this same scene tasked players with eliminating a few waves of baddies before escaping in Han's flying hunk of junk. In The Skywalker Saga, you still fend off swarms of Stormtroopers, but between the action you also help Chewie fix the ship by solving puzzles. The extended sequence had me utilizing various characters' strengths – including Obi-Wan's Force abilities – to assemble the ship's cockpit, attach its sensor dish, and mount its cannon.

Lightsaber and hand-to-hand combat have been similarly enhanced. Rather than spamming a single attack button, you'll need to mix different inputs to unleash increasingly powerful combos. Rely on one string for too long, and enemies will begin blocking your attacks, forcing you to switch up your strategy. The same goes for recycling lightsaber swings, although the ability to unleash the Force on unsuspecting foes – usually by pelting them with massive environmental objects – allows for even more variety. Combined, these various changes to combat – whether you're firing a blaster, wielding a lightsaber, or relying on your fists – make for more rewarding and challenging encounters. They also look fantastic, as chaining combos spawns a number of slick, cinematic animations.

This revamped take on reducing baddies to bricks also fuels a fresh take on collecting studs. Achieving higher combos – tracked by a meter on the right hand side of the screen – results in more studs being added to your total. The Skywalker Saga also introduces Kyber bricks, a new high-value collectible tied to the series' "True Jedi" system. In previous entries, collecting a specific amount of studs per stage granted you a coveted gold brick, along with True Jedi status. The system's meter is now segmented into three sections – filling each one not only helps your True Jedi progress, but also unlocks a Kyber brick.

By the time my demo came to a close, I'd only amassed three more Kyber bricks – one shy of the amount needed to unlock the scoundrel class' "Combat Slide." While I giddily envisioned this ability letting us topple Stormtroopers like bowling pins from behind a skidding, "yahoo-ing" Han Solo, we'll have to wait until The Skywalker Saga lands on April 5th to see if it lives up to our lofty collective expectations.

Didn't see a thread for this but send me to a galaxy far, far away if so.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably wait for a sale (I have half a dozen or more other LEGO games I haven't played yet, and I don't want to reward to Dev for the bad crunch the game had), but I am excited to see how this turns out.

This made me laugh too:

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The nostalgia is strong in this one. Game looks great. Hope it does well since the devs have crunched like crazy for it. Sucks it happened too but hopefully moving forward things improve for the devs

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I'm not that keen on the reticle-based aiming, as that will make it substantially harder for my wife to want to play.

It does look nice, though.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I'm but that keen on the reticle-based aiming, as that will make it substantially harder for my wife to want to play.

It does look nice, though.
It looks like those scenes are limited to single spots, so it might be that they're more like shooting gallery or light gun type sections so it might be less complicated than having to worry about moving AND shooting.

I do think it might be overcomplicating things, but hopefully it'll still be accessible.

BryanFulton

Sep 3, 2018
Looks amazing. I assume free-play mode allows you to play through all the story missions as any character? That would make this an instant buy for me.

Also hoping the Switch version is good.

Last edited:

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Why on earth is the physical Deluxe Edition sold out at every retailer for every platform? I have the PS5 Deluxe Edition pre-ordered, but was tempted to switch to Xbox. Oh well.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
My local store just got this in on all platforms. I am planning on getting digital ps5 but might double dip on switch

Blitzpwnage

Feb 11, 2018
I wanna get this but am really hesitant as I don't know if it'll run on my Steam Deck and can't find an answer if it will

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I've coincidentally got next week off work and actually really looking forward to playing this as a chilled palette cleansing after Elden Ring

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
I never played LEGO games but the idea of going through the Star Wars saga in LEGO is making me want to pull the trigger on this one.

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
This is out in four days but there's no real extended gameplay or anything out yet? The marketing for this makes it seem like they don't have any confidence in it but I'm pretty sure that it's still gonna score well enough.

I'll wait for reviews and performance impressions just to be safe, weird. This just looks so cool!

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
For the people wanting to get this on Xbox, there's a Microsoft Rewards card for this game in the Rewards app. 6000 points.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I wanna get this but am really hesitant as I don't know if it'll run on my Steam Deck and can't find an answer if it will

Get it and refund it if it doesn't work. I would guess that as a new release it probably would, or there would be some updates from valve to get it to work, or there might be a quick community work around within days.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is out in four days but there's no real extended gameplay or anything out yet? The marketing for this makes it seem like they don't have any confidence in it but I'm pretty sure that it's still gonna score well enough.

I'll wait for reviews and performance impressions just to be safe, weird. This just looks so cool!
There's been a bunch of extended gameplay over the last couple weeks.

Here's nearly an hour and a half of footage.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is listed as Unsupported for now but will probably change in the future. Probably won't know how "unsupported' until launch. I guess it is nice that it has been evaluated before release.

But I would probably buy it for that moreso than anything else.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Curious if there are any major differences between the last-gen and current-gen versions

BluePhoneBox

Oct 30, 2017
I'm super eager to hear how the Switch performance is.

As long as it's a healthy frame rate and load times are decent, I'm strongly considering a double dip on launch day

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super eager to hear how the Switch performance is.

As long as it's a healthy frame rate and load times are decent, I'm strongly considering a double dip on launch day

The Lego games on Switch aside from Lego Harry Potter are not known for running the best. Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 in particular is nigh-unplayable, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope since the ports haven't had the best track record. I'd love to be surprised though. Maybe one day they'll get it up and running for Steam Deck!

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I'm excited for this since it seems so ambitious.
I just hope most of the game takes place in the open world on the planets and not just in the standard linear lego games levels. I'm so tired of those. I saw some gameplay from this and it looks to still have the regular lego games style levels in it. I was hoping the main focus would be the open world planets this time.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
The Lego games on Switch aside from Lego Harry Potter are not known for running the best. Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 in particular is nigh-unplayable, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope since the ports haven't had the best track record. I'd love to be surprised though. Maybe one day they'll get it up and running for Steam Deck!

I'm going to hold off on this and see if there is a difference on the performance between the systems, but you are unfortunately probably right the Switch won't do well. So will see if there will be a difference between the PS4 & PS5.

The only thing I hate about waiting is missing out on the Deluxe edition. Can't find it anywhere now.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for this since it seems so ambitious.
I just hope most of the game takes place in the open world on the planets and not just in the standard linear lego games levels. I'm so tired of those. I saw some gameplay from this and it looks to still have the regular lego games style levels in it. I was hoping the main focus would be the open world planets this time.
Each film has 5 stages, but it looks like a lot of the game's main story takes place in the open world. For example the first stage of The Phantom Menace isn't until the underwater chase scene.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
If the Switch can somehow pull off 1080p/30 looking like that I'll be thrilled. What I'd give for that new Switch to be out for even 1080p/60.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly can't believe this game is as big as it seems to be in the previews?

27 planets (basically hub areas) to explore? 45+ main missions? Over 1100 hidden special bricks (basically the equivalent of the treasures minifigs in previous games). AND those bricks are now used for a purpose, to upgrade character classes?

I keep waiting for the catch.

Oct 27, 2017
Well I got my copy (PS5). Thanks to whoever pointed out Cybertron Video games. I will be using them for new releases from here on out.

I am assuming that I'm not allowed to share info until the game releases