• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting Henry G's impressions from the other thread after his hands on playtime when it was first revealed.

Some impression from CS Player Henry G on twitter:

Hello! Strap yourself in. I had the chance to spend a day playing #ProjectA at Riot EU. Today, I'm allowed to share some of my initial thoughts and impressions. Please bear with me, I can't go into too much detail about the specifics of a lot of the gameplay until a later date.

If you're reading this and you're not familiar with what I do; I am known as HenryG, primarily a CS:GO commentator and former professional CS player. Down a similar vein to these upcoming tweets, I was also part of the first ever play-test of CS:GO in 2011 at Valve.

First of all, at its core, Project A is essentially a round based, 5on5, tactical shooter (most similar to CS:GO as a twitter surface level comparison), with the better (and slightly diluted) elements of class/hero based FPS games such as Overwatch or Apex Legends, for example.

In my opinion, these aforementioned classes and their own unique 'abilities' should be seen as tactical utility instead of potentially overpowered spell/ultimate combinations that other class-based games suffer from.

Generally speaking, 'abilities' primarily need to be purchased at the start of a round instead of earnt over time with the same economy reservoir as the weaponry.

The gameplay and gun mechanics are super slick and satisfying. On the build I played we experienced pretty well balanced and varied hitscan weapons that had their own unique spray patterns and best method(s) of approach for your situation or position.

Similar to CS:GO, with the economy system, you could partially invest into rounds with less-fire power to take a gamble on a round and enter with basic abilities/utility.

You can have a great time playing without having to rely *too* much on the abilities to assist you in your game.

Saying that, there's nothing more satisfying dropping a successful combo of movement mechanics abilities that isolates your opponent to buy space before pulling the trigger on the killing blow.

All classes have access to the same generic weaponry via an economy CS:GO fans wouldn't find too difficult to adjust to. **Generally speaking** a 1 bullet headshot with one of the primary rifle(s) [with any class/hero wielding it] will do enough damage to take down an opponent.

One of the most exciting elements of the game to me was the map design. They have been beautifully created and follow Counter-strikesque familiar lanes and choke points. With the focus on game-play substance, rather than flowery aesthetics.

I will be creating some initial content at a later date where I can dive into a lot more specific information. For now, I will say that this is a very exciting title that is being built by the right people that has the potential to be one of the giant titles of the FPS space.

I will leave you with this bombshell: #ProjectA is the best game I have played since CS:GO.

I want to make it extremely clear that all of these words are my own. Riot have not requested a single edit or had any problem with me being this candid. They have been refreshingly cool about this.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Seriously why do all games use that cartoonish look? Probably because it's easier to make and has lower hardware demands. But come on devs, at least try to be a bit more creative. This artstyle roots back deep into last-gen ...
Those games to succeed have to run on very little powerful PCs, the cartoon style helps to make it even nice with low settings.

That's not the problem. If it had ultra-realistic graphics, it would also be generic, just another type of generic.

ShotZ

Oct 28, 2017
No but it shows they are perhaps not what people expect when they read hero abilities and how they effect the game.

Era is generally completely clueless when it comes to anything online and/or competitive.

I thought the exact same thing regarding era and competitive games. This thread feels like people that play bad games because they look pretty are commenting on what will become the premiere competive FPS of our time.

Not the audience.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
This game has the worst silhouette design of any hero shooter I ever saw ...and RIOT has shown already they can do great ones with LoL =P
Yeah, I read that thread and it was very enlightening, but it was difficult for me to see the poster's point. The two male silhouettes looked very similar (aside from the hat), same with the two female silhouettes.

I also couldn't quite get the point they made about the greyscale. TF2 in greyscale looked just as chaotic as Fortnite and OW.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Yeah, remember the game that logged 70 million players within an year of launch and is a gigantic cash cow for EA? It was too late to the market, and so could only get a fraction of the player base. A shame really. Everybody was already so hooked to PUBG that no one bothered to play it. Except 70 million players, that is.

yeah what the fuck is that person talking about lol

apex legends could have stolen the scene but they decided to not keep up with player demands for constant updates and instead keep their devs' sanity

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the exact same thing regarding era and competitive games. This thread feels like people that play bad games because they look pretty are commenting on what will become the premiere competive FPS of our time.

Not the audience.

Yeah, ERA doesn't really do MP games, especially F2P ones. LoL is one of the most popular games in the world, but you'd think Dark Souls was more popular if you used this community as a sample.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This looks like someone took TimeSplitters & TF2 and mashed them together, and then stripped away all the personality from it.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, looks terrible in practically every way (name, art style, character design etc). Hopefully the gameplay is incredible, otherwise this is a big no from me.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
Cool looks like something i'll become addicted to, play for 200+ hours the first few months, then hate it and then never touch it again.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Cant wait.

Have wanted a new competitive shooter for a good while now and Riot will definitely deliver on supporting the competitive side to this game.

(Also hopefully this game gets the fantastic characters/character skins that League gets)

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Counter-Watch:GO lol. I'll give it a try but boy does this look like the most generic mash-up of two shooters i've ever seen.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's also the general consensus from everyone who has played it. This is a great impressions video. Keep in mind this video was released October and he said the playtest was 5 months before that. So when they reveal this game formally there would have been a ton more work put into it.

Last edited:

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
While gameplay is going to be what determines the sucess of this game good art helps with getting attention. And this doesn't look particularily attention grabbing.

I hope their ability economy is really as good as they want it to be. Otherwise this is going to have a tough time differentiating itself. It's not like there's a dearth of e-sports focused shooters right now.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Everyone here going 'bland' and 'meh' while the twitter replies under the gameplay tweet someone posted above are pretty much universally positive.

you'd think people would learn about what the masses really like.

The masses care more about gameplay than graphics. You'd think after the huuuuge successes of Minecraft, Fortnite, Roblox, CS:GO, etc. Resetera would get that. This place has a huge blindspot for any games not a JRPG, or AAA open world third person game.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
It's not a visual stunner to be sure, which I guess makes sense if they're looking to focus on scalability over flash. I don't really mind it myself, it sounds like the game is designed to move pretty quickly so easy readability works for me.
It'd be nice for the art style and character design to open things up more than it looks like but I'm not going to hop onto the full "looks like shit" bandwagon before getting a better look at the characters involved and how they move and all. Sage doesn't look bad, but it feels like it's built to be a very plain, inoffensive design. Shooting for "plain" as a design target doesn't inspire a lot of confidence but if this is something that's really going to be supported for a long time, I'm sure wilder stuff will trickle in over time.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I read that thread and it was very enlightening, but it was difficult for me to see the poster's point. The two male silhouettes looked very similar (aside from the hat), same with the two female silhouettes.

I also couldn't quite get the point they made about the greyscale. TF2 in greyscale looked just as chaotic as Fortnite and OW.

I think everyone will have very similar silhouettes, because that's... fair. Everyone will have the same hitbox.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
this game will undoubtedly be huge, that being said i still think it looks like a mobile shooter and i cant shake that opinion either. I get why it looks like that, I just cant see it and not think CS:GO knock off. That said i cant wait to play it im certain it will be huge and play great without a doubt. Riot knows what they are doing.