• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember Apex Legends? Same deal there. It's still too late to chase trends like this, no matter how good the game is. Gamers are already hooked, and the best you can do is steal some of that market share. This will never be a market leader.

you're almost making it sounds like apex legends isn't a massive success

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I hope its not f2p. Gating characters in a game like this sucks. Just sell it for $30 ish.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Apex Legends literally introduced new mechanics in the genre and Fortnite copied as well despite being the "market" leader.
And that's my point. If it has amazing gameplay, the market leaders will adopt it. The playerbase, for the most part, isn't moving. Not when they're trying so hard to be the same thing but better, in an effort to chase a market. It's why World of Warcraft stayed on top all these years as well. Too many devs trying to create the same thing but better, leads to Blizzard saying "hey, great idea!" and adding to WoW. The playerbase is already hooked, and hard to move if you're intent on playing copycat.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope its not f2p. Gating characters in a game like this sucks. Just sell it for $30 ish.

It'll 100% be f2p since they want to target the Asian market, but I'd be amazed if they gate any characters. They'll probably just sell cosmetics since I can't imagine they're planning on have anywhere near the roster size as LoL.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It will be F2P but we don't have confirmation about characters being gated. There will be 8 at launch nut hundreds like League. It almost feels like gating wouldn't work really work in a shooter. Hopefully they just go with cosmetic microtrasactions.

And that's my point. If it has amazing gameplay, the market leaders will adopt it. The playerbase, for the most part, isn't moving. Not when they're trying so hard to be the same thing but better, in an effort to chase a market. It's why World of Warcraft stayed on top all these years as well. Too many devs trying to create the same thing but better, leads to Blizzard saying "hey, great idea!" and adding to WoW. The playerbase is already hooked, and hard to move if you're intent on playing copycat.

CSGO has had no competition. This game will have new game hype, it will be massive on twitch and it will be free to play and run on potatoes. People wan't CSGO but better.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Most played mmo today is FFXIV.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Remember Apex Legends? Same deal there. It's still too late to chase trends like this, no matter how good the game is. Gamers are already hooked, and the best you can do is steal some of that market share. This will never be a market leader.
Yeah, remember the game that logged 70 million players within an year of launch and is a gigantic cash cow for EA? It was too late to the market, and so could only get a fraction of the player base. A shame really. Everybody was already so hooked to PUBG that no one bothered to play it. Except 70 million players, that is.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Yeah, remember the game that logged 70 million players within an year of launch and is a gigantic cash cow for EA? It was too late to the market, and so could only get a fraction of the player base. A shame really. Everybody was already so hooked to PUBG that no one bothered to play it. Except 70 million players, that is.
Don't tell him.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
It's doing really well, and I don't mean to take away from that =) It's just not going to dethrone Fortnite. And maybe that's not the goal here either! Maybe they don't want to be the market leader. In which case, no problem, they're on the right track with a copycat game.
You're acting like it need to dethrone Fortnite. It doesn't.

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those games that I will probably never hear about again and when I look it up it's going to have 350 million active players.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know what, hey, I'm excited for this. Honestly this'll probably be a lot more polished than CSGO is. That's why I've personally played Siege more since it came into its own. That and after a decade+ of playing CS it feels kind of stale to me. The Hero-Shooter design of this will really shake things up TBH.

And yes, while Siege is indeed "Hero Shooter CS" it also in a way really isn't CS given the Interiors-Only level design, and emphasis on intel control, destruction, and breaching, which creates a significantly different dynamic from CS even without Hero Shooter mechanics, among several other design factors.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, heavy negativity here.

The lack of HUD in the screenshots probably making it look more bland than it does in reality.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
It's doing really well, and I don't mean to take away from that =) It's just not going to dethrone Fortnite. And maybe that's not the goal here either! Maybe they don't want to be the market leader. In which case, no problem, they're on the right track with a copycat game.

I dont think EA or Respawns goal was to dethrone fortnite.

If the brevity of your optics on how big a game is, is literally "did it dethrone fortnite?" You need to look realistically. Which, no worries there, companies pay people to do that for them!

Personally I cant wait to see how Valorant shakes up the field.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
This is ironic when CS:GO is bigger than ever in the year 2020.

And Riot is not going to make a better CS:GO and having "characters with abilities" is not what a define being better than CS:GO at all.
Read the CS pro impressions. The abilities enhance the gunfight. The say it makes the game more tactical and deeper than CSGO. These aren't overwatch abilities that dominate over guns. Plus they are focusing on the right things. Higher tickrate servers, killing peekers advantage etc. I'd peronally like a new game where you don'tr go AK, M4 or APP 909% of the time.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
It sounds like from your first post this needs to dethrone CSGO and it's too late etc. etc
I mean I find it disappointing when devs chase trends. Often they want to be the new market leader (see Elder Scrolls Online for example) and it's just obviously not going to happen. Even if that's not the goal, and they're content with stealing a piece of the pie, it's still boring to see devs content with being derivative. Dota 2's spinoffs, Artifact and Underlords, seem equally bland to me. But that's fine if that's how they want to spend dev time: "There's a hot trend we need to chase! Copy it but add something slightly new!". Just not for me =)

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I mean I find it disappointing when devs chase trends. Often they want to be the new market leader (see Elder Scrolls Online for example) and it's just obviously not going to happen. Even if that's not the goal, and they're content with stealing a piece of the pie, it's still boring to see devs content with being derivative. Dota 2's spinoffs, Artifact and Underlords, seem equally bland to me. But that's fine if that's how they want to spend dev time. Just not for me =)
I really think there's place for another game in line with cs. And the players base is looking for one for years now.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but CS was always about the gameplay first and foremost.

I'd be willing to bet that this game isn't going to be a hardcore shooter considering how Riot is handling all its other games, so I thought they would go the other way into a more fantastical approach.
That's exactly what they are going for though?

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think EA or Respawns goal was to dethrone fortnite.

If the brevity of your optics on how big a game is, is literally "did it dethrone fortnite?" You need to look realistically. Which, no worries there, companies pay people to do that for them!

Personally I cant wait to see how Valorant shakes up the field.
It's not even just targeting CSGO. They want crossfire. The biggest fps in the world and a CS clone that took of in Asia in a way that CSGO hasn't.

CROSSFIRE is one of the most played online FPS games worldwide, with over 8 million concurrent users and 650 million registered players.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
Read the CS pro impressions. The abilities enhance the gunfight. The say it makes the game more tactical and deeper than CSGO. These aren't overwatch abilities that dominate over guns. Plus they are focusing on the right things. Higher tickrate servers, killing peekers advantage etc. I'd peronally like a new game where you don'tr go AK, M4 or APP 909% of the time.

And you think the CS community wants abilities because some CS pro impressions say that they like them?

It's not even just targeting CSGO. They want crossfire. The biggest fps in the world and a CS clone that took of in Asia in a way that CSGO hasn't.

CROSSFIRE is one of the most played online FPS games worldwide, with over 8 million concurrent users and 650 million registered players.

And good luck with that.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019

Interesting! Ive never heard of this game but its wild its super popular. Gotta watch the video when I have time.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
This is ironic when CS:GO is bigger than ever in the year 2020.

And Riot is not going to make a better CS:GO and having "characters with abilities" is not what a define being better than CS:GO at all.

You're exactly right. Most of CSGO players map veto new maps and complain about gun changes....I doubt there will be a mass move to a new game, especially one with heroes. People play CS because it's CS. Some say it's "stale", some say don't fix what isn't broken.

Both games will coexist just fine.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
A developer which success is based on a game that copies another game makes a new game that copies another popular game. Who would've thought.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
All the people on my Twitter feed seem to believe this is the CS/Overwatch killer, that every single thing about it seems perfect and that they are ready to devote their lives to it... Then they complain about the name, the visuals, etc.

It's almost as if people are infatuated with the idea of the game, rather than the actual thing. I'm a console players so I'll probably never see this thing, but the idea of a 1 shot kill to the head makes me nope out of this real fast. I'll stick to Overwatch.