• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since we're bringing up history, remember when I posted the news that Deadly Premonition 2 was a timed exclusive, and you tried to shut down that discussion on the basis of it being a supposed "derail." And that news came from the co-founder of the game's publisher as well, so it was pretty substantial.

Why?

I mean I was proven right then by the mods ultimately. That discussion wasn't going anywhere pleasant in that thread, it was a derail. Here we're fine, as Jawmuncher said. The company is basically asking for it.

Edit: interesting first post ITT too I must say.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
User Banned (5 Days): Thread derailment and antagonizing other users; prior ban for antagonizing other users
I mean I was proven right then by the mods ultimately. That discussion wasn't going anywhere pleasant in that thread, it was a derail. Here we're fine, as Jawmuncher said. The company is basically asking for it.

It was new news, which is always encouraged. The mods were fine with it being discussed. The reason it wasn't going anywhere pleasant is because of certain posters who reacted badly and started flinging out ill-conceived accusations of port-begging and hypocrisy.

"Proven right." Lol, what a spin.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was new news, which is always encouraged. The mods were fine with it being discussed. The reason it wasn't going anywhere pleasant is because of certain posters who reacted badly and started flinging out ill-conceived accusations of port-begging and hypocrisy.

... can we talk about Persona 5 please? That's what I'm here to do, in this thread about that game.

Edit: didn't quite realise how old this was until just now. 6 months I mean really?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

wow some people are really obsessed with old drama, huh? just let it go dude. you've brought it up like 5 times by now.

anyway, if persona 5 were to come to switch, i wonder if 720p/1080p is doable. is royal 4K on the pro?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wow some people are really obsessed with old drama, huh? just let it go dude. you've brought it up like 5 times by now.

anyway, if persona 5 were to come to switch, i wonder if 720p/1080p is doable. is royal 4K on the pro?

Not sure. But the PS3 version was pretty good by all accounts so I can't imagine that there will be any technical issues with this game.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing more annoying than port begging is whining about port begging.

This is happening because people misunderstand or misuse the role of the portbegging rule.

This rule exist to prevent thread derails. Instead its use by some users is to ask other users to be warned or banned because they feel insecure at the thought their favorite game might not be an exclusive anymore.

Even when a thread is about "X game possibly coming to Y platform" you have people complaining about port begging... In a thread about a possible port.

Port begging can be annoying when it derails a thread. But it's also true that I see as much derails from insecure people claiming "omg stop port begging my exclusives".

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

If game X is announced for plattform Y - asking in threads shortly after the announcement the game to be on plattform Z is considered port begging.

This isnt the case in this instance - this should be common sense but people are too invested in the console war mentality.
Be mad at publishers inviting this kind of behavior or show of demand...instead of the users discussing it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure. But the PS3 version was pretty good by all accounts so I can't imagine that there will be any technical issues with this game.
I think it can be doable given how P5S looks and performs.
just looked it up, the original was 720p on PS3 and 1080p on PS4. 720p handheld should be doable, probably.

This is happening because people misunderstand or misuse the role of the portbegging rule.

This rule exist to prevent thread derails. Instead it's use for some users to ask other users to be warned or banned because they feel insecure at the thought their favorite game might not be an exclusive anymore.

Even when a thread is about "X game possibly coming to Y platform" you have people complaining about port begging... In a thread about a possible port.

Port begging can be annoying when it derails a thread. But it's also true that I see as much derails from insecure people claiming "omg stop port begging my exclusives".
well said. some people think the rule is to protect the feelings of fanboys or something, but it's more about stopping the derailing of announcement/trailer/news/OT threads. in a thread where the company itself is asking for fans to keep requesting it and they send surveys to see people's interest, to whine about port begging is a bit obnoxious.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
... can we talk about Persona 5 please? That's what I'm here to do, in this thread about that game.

Edit: didn't quite realise how old this was until just now. 6 months I mean really?

You're more than welcome to discuss Persona 5, I'm not stopping you. But if you want to have a discussion with Lothars about what is and isn't substantial enough for a discussion, I'm happy to join in.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Atlus is on a roll lately. Their entire backcatalog should be available on all platforms.

Whining about port begging thus derailing the thread, should elicit as much of a ban as the derailing by port begging itself.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Drive-by trolling
I've never see a more pathetic portbeg for a game even bayonetta 2 never had so much

Oct 25, 2017
I've never see a more pathetic portbeg for a game even bayonetta 2 never had so much
You kidding? That's lasted the past 7 years now. Especially with the W101 Kickstarter being a thing. And that was a project resurrection by Nintendo

This is a third party game where the company is also telling you to beg. So I mean.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Bayo 2 is a first party release published and funded by a first Party - Persona is a 3rdParty series with strong history on portables.

What you might label as "pathetic portbegging" are pretty much realistic expectations based on how they released Persona games in the last decade. Atlus suddenly deciding that portable Persona games arent a thing, on one of the most successful plattforms ever - isnt something many expected.

I know putting these things into context isnt helpful for your kind of drive-by post - but there are obvs. differences between these scenarios.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
This is a third party game where the company is also telling you to beg. So I mean.

Man ... of all the "marketing" strategies to copy, they really went with Bamco's "Beg for it!" one ... only way to make that worse is to add a bit of Capcom's "Test Game" to it with the seemingly upcoming Catherine port.

I know it's probably no the intention of the CM that sparked this discussion, but it feels like some sort of a weird power fantasy fetish.

Oh and yeah, comparing this situation to fucking Bayonetta 2 as that one user just did is probably the most ridiculous take in this thread. Comparing this to almost 7 years of this stuff and it's even unwarranted in Bayos case.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Atlus has spent years cultivating an audience on handheld platforms. They even named one of their games Persona 3 Portable. It's easy to see why people are baffled by these decisions.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
What is the status for that anyways? Never heard anything about it.

Its now being reworked as Persona 5 : Shin Megami Tensei and now will be PS4 exclusive.

I'll take five copies each of Detective Morgana and Akechi ace detective please.

Would you still be interested knowing that Goro Akechi : Ace Detective will feature Sad Dad Redemption story of the titular character in his 20s ?

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I fight for them making money? If they don't to release on Switch it's their own fault for not liking money enough.

They were incredibly fortunate to get huge PR with Joker being the first Smash DLC character who was even promoted at The Game Awards for crying out loud. Yet they only release some spinoff. I still have no clue why Nintendo would even add Joker to Smash without P5 immediately coming to their platform. I say that even though I like Joker's gameplay in Smash.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

Yup. It's exactly the same situation. Remember all the polls Platinum had to see if people were interested in Bayonetta 2 on PS4? And who could forget that time when they announced Short-haired Bayonetta as a DLC character in Uncharted 4? That was a real give-away. Also Platinum is always teasing a multi-plat release with tweets such as:

It's easy to see how alike these 2 games are.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Yup. It's exactly the same situation. Remember all the polls Platinum had to see if people were interested in Bayonetta 2 on PS4? And who could forget that time when they announced Short-haired Bayonetta as a DLC character in Uncharted 4? That was a real give-away. Also Platinum is always teasing a multi-plat release with tweets such as:

It's easy to see how alike these 2 games are.

Totally agree with you. These people seriously don't understand how it's not the same. The hypocrisy on this forum is a nuisance. There is just so much animosity towards Switch owners. It's always "Switch owners are the worst" that is used to justify hostile behavior while people are deliberately ignoring contexts and act as hypocrites.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
How likely is it that Atlus somehow screws that up by porting the original Persona 5 on Switch instead of Royal?

Oct 27, 2017
Why would I fight for them making money? If they don't to release on Switch it's their own fault for not liking money enough.

They were incredibly fortunate to get huge PR with Joker being the first Smash DLC character who was even promoted at The Game Awards for crying out loud. Yet they only release some spinoff. I still have no clue why Nintendo would even add Joker to Smash without P5 immediately coming to their platform. I say that even though I like Joker's gameplay in Smash.
It's basically free marketing for them and persona 5. If port begging keeps it out there in the news , how many people would just get it on PS4

Mazuve1234

Sep 2, 2018

Because they wanted to give Atlus a rep and their most popular protagonist is Joker, just like Cloud whose main game did not come until later years.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
6A4OhUt.jpg

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it could happen, just like Bayonetta 2 on PS4. That was like your entire basis for that a couple of weeks ago. Funny how that's changed. Suddenly the mere possibility of a thing is not substantial enough for a discussion. Why?
Funny how delusional some posts are like yours. I've never once said persona 5 wouldn't happen on switch and it still might but my point was how in almost all new game announcement threads we get whining how it's not on the switch

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Lol imagine believing this when a thread had to get a mod post about portbegging for Bayonetta 2 just a couple weeks ago.

It's been over seven years since the original 138 page thread on NeoGAF announcing Wii U exclusivity for Bayonetta 2. There has not been as much portbegging for Persona 5 on Switch in all threads since the dawn of ResetEra as there was for Bayonetta 2 in that one single thread on NeoGAF.

Last edited:

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If game X is announced for plattform Y - asking in threads shortly after the announcement the game to be on plattform Z is considered port begging.

This isnt the case in this instance - this should be common sense but people are too invested in the console war mentality.
Be mad at publishers inviting this kind of behavior or show of demand...instead of the users discussing it.
As much as I hate port begging, I agree.

btw I am assuming JP fans have asked atlus JP to port persona 5 to the switch? If that's true, did atlus JP tell JP fans to "deal with it"?

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Funny how delusional some posts are like yours. I've never once said persona 5 wouldn't happen on switch and it still might but my point was how in almost all new game announcement threads we get whining how it's not on the switch
This thread is literally about an article where where an Atlus employee is telling fans to ask for persona 5 on switch and you're in here complaining about people port begging in announcement threads? You need to take a look at what the topic of this thread is even about. If mods had an issue with it, they would've locked it yesterday. Stop this.

What you're doing is equally as annoying as the port beggars you're complaining about, just from the opposite angle.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
What you're doing is equally as annoying as the port beggars you're complaining about, just from the opposite angle.

Don't forget that people like him also port begs, but they justify it to themselves by painting themselves as the "righteous warriors for multi-platform gaming" whereas Switch owners are "entitled console warriors".

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Everyone saying the Switch will get Persona 5 Classic hasn't considered the far more annoying possibility of the Switch getting Persona 5 Crimson which has a totally different set of improvements from Royal.

It's going to be P3 all over again baybee, prepare to get out your Venn diagrams to decide wether you prefer a female protagonist or real cutscenes.