• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
This game has the best open world design since Xenoblade Chronicles X in my opinion.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
The game genuinely has a beautiful world full of secrets I loved to explore. Combat was quite fun too. Shame it turns into a basic mobile game once you hit the end of the current story.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the game is fun with a lot going for it, but when you blatantly steal somebody elses art direction (for whatever reason, some are even legitimate) it should impact your review score in a more significant manner

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the game is fun with a lot going for it, but when you blatantly steal somebody elses art direction (for whatever reason, some are even legitimate) it should impact your review score in a more significant manner
Man, virtually all games are derivative. Nobody cares. If anything, it's taken way too long for someone to blatantly rip off BotW.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It took BOTW, Stripped what sucked about it out

It didn't though. It took graphical cues, some light gameplay cues, and that is about it, it is a completely different game with different aims. They're not comparable as a result.

If you go into this hoping for a BOTW experience, then you would be sorely disappointed. I just decided to go off the beaten path on the game and got a Paimon "how about we explore other areas later?". That, is not what a BOTW player wants, unless freedom is deemed something that sucks now, which I doubt it.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It didn't though. It took graphical cues, some light gameplay cues, and that is about it, it is a completely different game with different aims. They're not comparable as a result.

If you go into this hoping for a BOTW experience, then you would be sorely disappointed. I just decided to go off the beaten path on the game and got a Paimon "how about we explore other areas later?". That, is not what a BOTW player wants, unless freedom is deemed something that sucks now, which I doubt it.
To be fair that paimon stuff only happens when you literally step out of the playable area. It's not like hyrule goes on endlessly

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
The moment people stop comparing it to BotW will be the moment the game will get its deserved recognition.
Let's be honest, BotW is one of the game that defines this generation and possibly one of the best ever made, it's not something easily achievable, especially for a team that sees in Genshin Impact its first try at a console game.
GI is very cool and its own thing, and I think 9/10 is a fair vote all in all, especially since it's free, you know

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

I went into it for what I was told
"It's like BOTW but the graphics are nice and your weapons don't break"

That's what I got, plus the climbing feels better in this imo.

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

This. It sets a dangerous precedent. It is one thing to be inspired by another game, this happens in any creative field and is perfectly acceptable. It's a completely different thing to blatantly copy the design and art direction of another game and get high praise from the critics despite it.

Perhaps I'm slightly more sensitive to these kind of things due to working in the creative sector. I find it very hard to enjoy a game that doesn't have any respect to these aspects of game design.

Sly

May 11, 2018
What is impressive to me is that a Chinese game is so successful, keeping in mind how restricted content in that country is.

I wonder what the future holds for Chinese games and if Chinese devs will become a big player in game development. With all the big investment companies over there that have tons of money, I think it's only a matter of time until they will buy or create more studios and delevop stuff themselves instead of just investing in companies outside of China.

To be honest I have worries about the impact that could haveon gaming because of their restrictions and censorship, and we can already see some of those effects even today, but let's see where this goes.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
There's been a lot to play and enjoy this year - from Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ghosts of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, Half Life Alyx, Hades, Ori and the Will of the Wisp, Doom Eternal, etc. Tons of solid variety.
Yeah if anything this game was the early Fall addition to a very good gaming year.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Definitely not a 9 to me, personally, but I can see why people are very excited about it. I was excited before release as well (and even playing betas), after playing the release version though I kinda got bored with the story, characters and samey dungeons. Still a fun game overall, just expected more density in the world design and variation in character design I guess. I have a feeling that these things are gonna be worked on after the financial success the game has seen, I might get back to it in a few years.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It took BOTW, Stripped what sucked about it out and made it better. Infused it with more enjoyable characters, and a much more colorful and detailed world because it's on next gen systems and not held back by Nintendo's visual Fidelity.

You can play this game with out spending money. It's not that much of a gacha. If anything it's the least intrusive loot boxes game I ever played and it was free.
This comment is so thinly veiled the blind could see through it

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
I love how he tells at the beginning that tihs isn't just a copycat botw and then he is continuing, trying to describe elements that makes it different, but basically he still talking about botw-like features like creating an updraft to get to higher places with your glider or walk on water by freezing it.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
I totally agree with the guy stating that this isn't just a copycat of botw. It got "inspiration" from other games as well. :-)

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's strange to me that this game gets people complaining that there's not a lot to do after 60 hours of great content when the same could be said of BotW and most other games ever.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's strange to me that this game gets people complaining that there's not a lot to do after 60 hours of great content when the same could be said of BotW and most other games ever.

If you took out the gacha system, gave each playable character their own side quest that unlocks them for use with further side quests that progressed their constellations and sold it as a full priced game, I think people would've loved it.

And the crazy think is, we don't even have 30% of the content the game will have once it's finished. The final product will likely be four times the size of what we have now.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Will this ever hit Steam? Interested in checking it out, but i guess it'll be on Steam eventually and with Achievements.

May 10, 2018
From an overall perspective, for a F2P game it's hard to argue against it and I don't have any major complaints about the game.

It's the little details that keep me from
absolutely loving it though.

Oct 29, 2017

You tried to walk outside of the map, thats not you being hemmed in. BOTW also has an edge of the map. The maps are huge and you can absolutely explore at will, find secrets, chests, lots of hidden things, its good fun but yeah, you tried to walk off the map. I'm sure more areas will be added later.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
even if i like the game right now, not sure id hand it a 9, still its worth playing for sure

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Its everything I expected BOTW to be but far, far better. Deserved. Not a fan of the gacha shit but everything else has been fantastic.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
You tried to walk outside of the map, thats not you being hemmed in.

Really? I was walking towards a village looking place and there were monsters there. Ok yes, I just had a look at the map and there is definitely a big red area where I'm at. These all look like places I should be able to go to, so I'm assuming that I have to pass a story mark to be able to do this.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
It's an actual amazing game that came out of nowhere. The gacha stuff is very VERY YMMV, but lets sketch out an ideal scenario:
- You ignore gacha
- The devs continue to update with new regions, dungeons, quests, and mechanics
- Players, over a multi-year span, get access to challenge dungeons that give access to multiple characters similar to fire spear girl right now

You still have one of the best live service games on the market and a few years ago, this would have cost $60, but it didn't because the developer really wanted a foothold in a large total addressable market.

End result:
We have a stellar game with an additional layer of exploitative innovation in terms of content distribution. A high quality game with exploitative gambling characteristics, if you will.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
it's a solid game. performance on PS4 is better than it was in the beta atleast. hoping PS5 fixes a lot of the issues with frame drops and pop in.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate gacha games in general, but I gave it a try on Hawkian's suggestion, and it's a truly polished game with extremelly solid and fun gameplay. It fully deserves a 9 and it has the potential to become something truly special.

I still hate how well over half of its characters are "generic anime blonde bishojo in a dress" that sometimes I can't even tell apart from each other, but I guess it is what it is. :/
I'm guessing you're still early in the game. Yes, some of the characters you find in the first region will be blonde, as it's based on a medieval German as the lore of the setting. The second region is based on China so you'll see more dark haired characters later. That said, I do agree that there are too many teenagers so far (and a few kids too on top of that), with only a few adult looking ones.

Regarding characterizations, each of them will have their own side story which is a series of side quests, and they're pretty good. Even random NPCs have some backstory attached to them, and some of them are kind of dark. Here's my post from the OT, for example.
This probably has been mentioned multiple times before, but whatever you do, don't skip the NPC dialogues. They give a lot of lore of the world and some of them give really good side stories, albeit a little dark. Here's just a few from what I gathered from this Reddit post.
There's also the brother and sister that appear at different times, at the fountain in town. The former is there are night, collecting coins people threw into the fountain for wishes. But his reason for doing it is that he isn't getting enough money from his job to properly care for his sickly, possibly terminal sister. Meanwhile, during the day, she's throwing her coins into the fountain, wishing with all her heart that she could stop being a burden on her brother...
Yesterday I found a bard playing at his daughter's grave, he told us she used to ask him to play for her everyday and he never did, until the day that he was on another city playing and she got sick and died little after that. So now he keeps playing at her grave out of sheer regret for neglecting her.
Little Nine, who gives you a quest near that decrepit, haunted village. From her story, and the town being dead with loads of flying blue ghost-flames, it sounds like she fell in the river, crawled out eventually and died of hypothermia, clutching a book her friend gave her. You leave to find the book, and when you come back to the child, she's gone. You can actually meet her friend. I believe it's Chang The Ninth, the man you meet through Xingqiu's quest! Little Nine says her friend is also called Nine (because they were both the 9th child of their individual families), and Chang The Ninth is undeniably book obsessed.
I remember a mission where a father prepared riches for him and his sons to find together when he retires. But the father died in a mining accident and his 3 greedy sons tried to get to the treasure first and all of them died to monsters while alone in different mineshafts. The treasure was buried underneath a tree that the boys and their father had planted when they were younger and in happier times.
My favorite is the one where you talk to a woman who's been pretending to be sick for years because she couldn't stand her husband, who used to be a sailor, being away from her. Her husband's right next to her picking berries for a living and he's poor and unsatisfied but still his number one priority is "taking care" of her.
There is an old man in Quince village (bottom slight right from leader's house, its a big one) he is alone and when you speak to him he is apparently blind (age hurts) and he confuses you by his wife as he tells you that your voice is like hers. He's also happy that his daughter become mature, but then if you ask him more, he'll said something like "No, actually I couldn't see her become mature", "If I come earlier that time when the storm hit, my wife and daughter would.." He knows that his wife and daughter have already died.
At night, there's this thief who is sitting at the other side of the lake at Monstadt behind the church. Contemplating about why he keeps running away and doing no good. Iirc he sits there because the view is nice and helps him relax I guess. He asks that you can turn him in later when he's done admiring the view. He ain't running no more.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you took out the gacha system, gave each playable character their own side quest that unlocks them for use with further side quests that progressed their constellations and sold it as a full priced game, I think people would've loved it.

And the crazy think is, we don't even have 30% of the content the game will have once it's finished. The final product will likely be four times the size of what we have now.

Agreed, I would have been in to it either way. Great game so far.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
One of those animations is a basic dash, one of them isn't even the same, and the other is just an overhead swing.
if I'm not mistaken the developers themselves said that character and her animations are inspired by 2b from Neir.

to clarify I have no problem at all with borrowing from other games we should be honest though they are taking things from other games people are not just seeing things.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
To me its a 9 game. I must have 150 hours + on it already (Adventure Rank 37)
Still got 30 Resin refill, spent 5$ for the daily Primogene. I've got a decent team. Now i just need to farm all the 1000 chest in the world to 40, while spending Resin on mostly Talent books, Ascension Mats and weapon mats, going casually. Then once I hit AR40, i'll pop those Resin refills and farm for 5Star Artifact. Slowly work on my 2nd Abyss team to clear higher Abyss floors.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
It's like a 7ish for me. Music is A+, graphics/art are an A, and misc stuff like crossplay and multi VO language and such are great.

However, the rest of the game itself is eh, unless you are a hardcore collectathon lover of the same 10ish collection puzzles repeated. The coop is a huge letdown (just let us open our own chests in other players worlds and do our own quests, come on...) and the gameplay loop is very shallow and pretty narrow in scope. The story to me is very basic and not very interesting, I didn't find it engaging, so there wasnt much to strive for other than bigger numbers. The game has huge balancing issues because of the gacha including op chars and all the healers hidden behind it, so if you miss out on free Barbera I pity you, you're going to have a bad time. She makes the later game trivial in most context besides dps checks.

It's one of those games I struggled to find a point to play, especially when I got to AR 25. It's a gacha without some form of leaderboards or pvp, so getting stronger is mostly just a personal point of pride and makes the game easier for you, you don't actually get anything other than more gacha resources for doing well and essentially character skins.

That said, it was free for me and I don't regret my time with it so can't beat that value. Also, the combat was decently fun, but shines so much better in coop, too bad you can only coop for like 15 min a day since you run out of stamina so fast.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like a 7ish for me. Music is A+, graphics/art are an A, and misc stuff like crossplay and multi VO language and such are great.

However, the rest of the game itself is eh, unless you are a hardcore collectathon lover of the same 10ish collection puzzles repeated. The coop is a huge letdown (just let us open our own chests in other players worlds and do our own quests, come on...) and the gameplay loop is very shallow and pretty narrow in scope. The story to me is very basic and not very interesting, I didn't find it engaging, so there wasnt much to strive for other than bigger numbers. The game has huge balancing issues because of the gacha including op chars and all the healers hidden behind it, so if you miss out on free Barbera I pity you, you're going to have a bad time. She makes the later game trivial in most context besides dps checks.

It's one of those games I struggled to find a point to play, especially when I got to AR 25. It's a gacha without some form of leaderboards or pvp, so getting stronger is mostly just a personal point of pride and makes the game easier for you, you don't actually get anything other than more gacha resources for doing well and essentially character skins.

That said, it was free for me and I don't regret my time with it so can't beat that value. Also, the combat was decently fun, but shines so much better in coop, too bad you can only coop for like 15 min a day since you run out of stamina so fast.
You can coop as much as you want, you simply can't get the rewards that require resin. That said, I do agree that they need to expand the coop with more activities. It has a good foundation already, so I guess they're coming later.

Also, here's a Reddit post from someone who never pull anyone and clear high-level endgame content. Barbara is indeed essential, though. But I can't imagine Mihoyo not giving her away or any other healer again later, as a healer is necessary for endgame content. They do giveaway characters for every element in the first place, because they're essential for story progression.

r/Genshin_Impact - Experience of a F2P Never-Pull

2,064 votes and 521 comments so far on Reddit

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I played the first hours and they hand out Scrolls that level up your characters 10 levels, I don't know of they want me to play their game or just spend money.

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
I played the first hours and they hand out Scrolls that level up your characters 10 levels, I don't know of they want me to play their game or just spend money.

Like most gacha, you level your characters with exp items. Those "scrolls" they give you will evaporate the higher level you need to level your units. You'd be wishing you'd have some more down the line. Level 50 to 60 consumes large amount of exp scrolls/books.