• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
Apologies if this has already been posted, but IGN Japan have conducted a 2 hour Skies of Arcadia podcast, with series director Shuntaro Tanaka and producer Rieko Kodama.

Unfortunately it is conducted in Japanese, but would anyone be able to translate it? There seems to be some brand new info about the game revealed, as well as design documents etc.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Wait what? Is there a possibility they bring this amazing game back?? Skies on Dreamcast is one of my favorite games of all time. What are they talking about??

OP
OP
@ShenmueGuru

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
Apologies if I am getting hopes up. I don't speak Japanese unfortunately, but the translation function does have a mention of the word remake in there. I would say possibly the director saying he would like it to happen, but if anyone could translate that would be awesome.

I can't edit the thread title either. Sorry! Didn't mean to get you guys mad.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ONLY RE-MASTER I WOULD IMMEDIATELY PRE-ORDER OR EVEN PAY FULL PRICE FOR. Dreamcast and that game holds a VERY special place in my heart.

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if I am getting hopes up. I don't speak Japanese unfortunately, but the translation function does have a mention of the word remake in there. I would say possibly the director saying he would like it to happen, but if anyone could translate that would be awesome.

I can't edit the thread title either. Sorry! Didn't mean to get you guys mad.
Most probably. Kodama avoided saying yes, no or even "who knows in the future maybe" in the last two interviews she had with western outlets about a remake/remaster/rerelease, though she also mentioned the Gamecube version is what she considers the "director's cut" of the game.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
giphy.gif

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda my only saving grace I suppose. I wasn't intending to troll or anything. As a Shenmue fan. I can certainly empathize with SOA fans who have waited 19 years for a remake or future game.
Screw your Shenmue... I want SOA remake/sequel NOW :'( .... at least you guys are getting the full fan service, with remake and sequel.. I'd settle for at least one of those for my first proper RPG (the one to finish all the way to the end).

Kidding aside, thanks for posting OP. Hopefully more to come

OP
OP
@ShenmueGuru

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
Screw your Shenmue... I want SOA remake/sequel NOW :'( .... at least you guys are getting the full fan service, with remake and sequel.. I'd settle for at least one of those for my first proper RPG (the one to finish all the way to the end).

Kidding aside, thanks for posting OP. Hopefully more to come

Then maybe do what Shenmue fans did back in 2011. Mobilise, and create the rolling momentum on social media to get the message heard that there is a demand for a new SOA game.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Skies of Arcadia is legit a more wanted remake for me than Final Fantasy VII. I must have it, and on Steam if possible. Though I would be totally fine with a Switch version.

Crawl

Oct 25, 2017
is there any reason why this isnt remastered? Is there a licensing issue that maybe we dont know about?

Oct 25, 2017
is there any reason why this isnt remastered? Is there a licensing issue that maybe we dont know about?
Probably too niche? It's not like Dreamcast games in general have been remade/rereleased outside of Sonic. Shenmue and JSR are the rare exceptions, and Shenmue had the Xbox port as precedence while JSR HD took years.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still hoping we'll get Dreamcast or Saturn games as part of Sega Ages at some point...

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Watch it be another gacha game.

All my old faves are just being thrown to mobile to sell waifus now :(

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
They need to at least port it so people can play it on PCs/modern consoles. It's a shame only people with Dreamcasts/Gamecubes have been able to play it.

It's as good as the best Final Fantasy games.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Current-gen Skies of Arcadia would be fantastic. Put that Canvas engine to work Sega!!

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp, I'm still interested in a PC port. I guess I get to keep waiting, but I'm far more hopeful now.

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
A remaster with an encounter rate slider and a battle speed toggle would be amazing. I played the Dreamcast version and the game's encounter rates and slow battle speeds made the entire game a super long slog, but if you removed those problems it'd be a 10/10 jrpg even with the crappy main antagonist who tried too hard to be Sephiroth.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
A remaster with an encounter rate slider and a battle speed toggle would be amazing. I played the Dreamcast version and the game's encounter rates and slow battle speeds made the entire game a super long slog, but if you removed those problems it'd be a 10/10 jrpg even with the crappy main antagonist who tried too hard to be Sephiroth.
They lowered the encounter rate in the GameCube version but even then it still felt like too much, especially with how uninteresting the battles are after you get some key moves.

While I'd love a remake of the game, I don't think it'd have the budget to really give the world the justice it deserves. When I think of Skies of Arcadia, I think of the world, the music (which got a bit butchered in the GameCube version), and the optimism of the heroes. Just give me a cleaned up port with the audio from the Dreamcast game and, like you said, an encounter slider so I can just mess around in the world without having to worry about battles at all.

Obviously emulation is a thing, but I'd really like more people to experience this game and not everyone is going to jump through those hoops.