• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
The hype is real folks.

https://jp.ign.com/m/2018nenmatsu/31933/feature/2019-top-20

I don't think I've ever wanted a game to be good and review well as much as this one in my entire gaming life. As a fan since the Dreamcast days.

Also if Shenmue 3 sells well we're getting a Shenmue 4 to conclude the story so 3's success both critically and commercially is imperative. And also since this comes up in every Shenmue thread Yu Suzuki has stated in interviews he's not restricted by budget because of the Deep Silver publishing deal that permitted development extending in to late 2019.

The man has never shipped a game that was any less than amazing so I have faith. It's going to be a legendary review thread come August at the very least.

I think I'm as hyped as IGN Japan are. Your anticipation for Shenmue 3?

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked it beat Kingdom Hearts III.

I have no connection with these games, but I'm hoping for nothing but the best for the fanbase (i.e. Michael Huber deserves it.)

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
This must be an opinion by the staff right?

Not that I'm personally not hyped for the game, but in all the months I spent in Japan since the announcement of Shenmue III, I haven't perceived any hype for it at all.

My perception is that most Japanese gamers are either too young or simply too much time has passed for them to care all that much.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I feel nothing for Shenmue. It was never really an important series for me growing up.

As for this post, does it say if it's a staff poll or a public poll? I kind of doubt it's a public poll.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Its still hilarious that Sega thought this IP wasn't worth investing in.

Like I have never seen so much media attention or hype to any of their other in-house IPs ( Sonic aside).

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Shenmue still holds a special place near and dear to my heart. I've long wanted to finish the story and see the possible revenge played out by Ryu, so I'm extremely hopeful that the game is legit great, reviews well and sells well.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

I loled at when the Shenmue III came up and narrator lady was like "Huh? wait Shenmue III is number 1? What's going on here Kurabe-san?"

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, I dont think Shenmue 3 is going to sell well. Shenmue I-II HD didnt set the charts on fire iirc. And on top of that, a good part of the press and gaming community decided to hate on the game for "reasons".
Expect a sub 70 metascore and how "the visuals arent good and the gameplay is slow" while having praised a game in september for having amazing visuals despite a slow gameplay.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Yes, the list was decided by staff vote, 17 members total.

Shenmue 3 got five #1 votes, incidentally.

Thought so. There's no way this represents any relevant opinion among the general Japanese audience.

Not to discount the opinion. It's perfectly valid, and I share quite a few of the games included among my most anticipated (not exactly in that order), but it's not very "mainstream" on a local level so to speak.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The real surprise here is Rage 2 at #6. I thought FPS aren't too popular in Japan except CoD?

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Unfortunately, I dont think Shenmue 3 is going to sell well. Shenmue I-II HD didnt set the charts on fire iirc. And on top of that, a good part of the press and gaming community decided to hate on the game for "reasons".
Expect a sub 70 metascore and how "the visuals arent good and the gameplay is slow" while having praised a game in september for having amazing visuals despite a slow gameplay.

The game can get a metascore of 13 and I'd still buy 50 copies. Just hook the game into my veins!

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
C'mon man.
There were tons of ppl complaining about bugs, glitches, bad sound quality, and the game just outright crashing at times.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
List isn't by public vote, so yeah.

Also, I'd never heard of Necrobarista, but what a sick name for a game.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna disappoint so many people who have unrealistic expectations. I don't think the game is gonna even be reviewed that well. The first two games were akin to something like RDR2 today: big budget and highly ambitious. Shenmue 3 will simply be a sequel to those games with slightly more modern tech, but I don't think it'll be much of a contemporary game at all. I'm completely fine with that personally; considering the budget they seem to be working with you can't really expect much more, but I think reviewers won't be so kind.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
You know, I just realized that whatever event Sony holds next year will probably have a Shenmue 3 trailer. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see Shenmue 3 on there. It's my most anticipated game by far and cant wait to finally see a "modern" Shenmue after 18 years.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tweaked the title a bit to clarify that this was voted on by IGN Japan staff.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
IGN Japan good taste confirmed. I think Shen3 was on Famitsu readers most wanted for crazy years as well. Not surprising. If you're in the know, you will demand the good stuff for years to come.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Poll from enthusiasts' outlet aren't really all that indicative. Mother 3 topped Famitsu most wanted more than a few times.

Edit: oh it's a staff vote? That's when less indicative of a hope

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The hype is real folks.

I think I'm as hyped as IGN Japan are. Your anticipation for Shenmue 3?

there is hype for Shenmue 3, who knew.

i think if there is hype for this game it is because the few that played it back in the day now have jobs in the media and push it.

let's face it, the games didn't sell well because they were poor games and the recent HD remakes didn't set the world alight on newer hardware with millions of more owners.

but fingers X'd you get the game you want.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a backer of Shenmue 3 even though i never played the first two back then I need you guys to tell me: when does Shenmue 1 get good? I'm powering through Shenmue 1 HD on PS4 and I'm in what the DC game would've been Disc 2 and I'm having a miserable time. The game doesnt respect my time, Ryo ontrols with the grace of a monster truck down a small alleyway, the dialogue is laughable in english (and just bearable in Japanese), boring combat... when does this get good and is Shenmue 2 a marked improvement over part 1 or will it be more of the same???

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It's not for everyone. I originally played it on Dreamcast, decided it was too much like an actual job, and never went back to it. I don't begrudge the people who love it, but it's not my kinda game.

Dec 7, 2018
As a backer of Shenmue 3 even though i never played the first two back then I need you guys to tell me: when does Shenmue 1 get good? I'm powering through Shenmue 1 HD on PS4 and I'm in what the DC game would've been Disc 2 and I'm having a miserable time. The game doesnt respect my time, Ryo ontrols with the grace of a monster truck down a small alleyway, the dialogue is laughable in english (and just bearable in Japanese), boring combat... when does this get good and is Shenmue 2 a marked improvement over part 1 or will it be more of the same???

Shenmue 2 is considerably better than 1 in almost all aspects.

Consider Shenmue 1 like a slow prologue where they focused on real life simulation, while Shenmue 2 is more your traditional action packed AAA Adventure game.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Consider Shenmue 1 like a slow prologue where they focused on real life simulation, while Shenmue 2 is more your traditional action packed AAA Adventure game.
Thats encouraging to know. Because I've been second guessing my decision to back Shenmue 3 when I hadnt even played the first two. So far S1 has been a huge dissapointment for me.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Shenmue 2 is an improvement since you can skip time and the game has better pacing but, judging by all the complains you have for S1, i don't think the 1st game is for you. Do give the 2nd one a chance but it's okay if you don't like it. Not for everyone.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Funnily enough, I preferred 1 to 2 because of the pace and the atmosphere.
It's difficult to like a "traditional packed AAA adventure game" when the combat is as bad as in Shenmue 2.

Dec 7, 2018
Thats encouraging to know. Because I've been second guessing my decision to back Shenmue 3 when I hadnt even played the first two. So far S1 has been a huge dissapointment for me.

I can Understand the sentiment, Shenmue 1 is slow as fuck and if you dont appreciate how alive the town feels my advice is to just rush through the story, the game isnt that long if you just do the story events.

Funnily enough, I preferred 1 to 2 because of the pace and the atmosphere.
It's difficult to like a "traditional packed AAA adventure game" when the combat is as bad as in Shenmue 2.

Why do you think the combat is bad?

Aside from the bad camera in some spots, it's fluid and deep, you can do a ton of great combos if you know the moves.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think the combat is bad?

Aside from the bad camera in some spots, it's fluid and deep, you can do a ton of great combos if you know the moves.
Probably budget and technical limitations.
I'd honestly rather have a Yakuza style combat system in Shenmue 3, but I know that that probably wont be the case.

My hand still hurts from the 3 street fighters in Shenmue 2.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
mhw iceborne isn't even top 20?
yeaaaaaaaaaah i find this list hard to believe

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Probably budget and technical limitations.
I'd honestly rather have a Yakuza style combat system in Shenmue 3, but I know that that probably wont be the case.

My hand still hurts from the 3 street fighters in Shenmue 2.
Yu Suzuki already stated that he's taking the virtua fighting system out for Shenmue 3 and implementing a different combat system closer to batman/Yakuza (from how he described it)