• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I play on a TV, I guess. I wonder how many people play on monitors for console gaming. It's a bummer, no idea if it's something that can be patched, but if so, I hope they do!

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
irrelevant?

SOOOO MANY people on this board hype that they play in 1440p.
more people play in 1440 than 4k.

i pray for yall.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of people game on 1080p monitors if the Steam survey is anything to go by.
OdjHM4S.png

~14% of steam gamers play in resolutions above 1080p. What a non-issue this is.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not a dealbreaker but i had planned to move my PS5 into my office next to my desktop which is a 1440 monitor. Really sad as it seems many PC enthusiast gamers if they get a console, pick up a PS5 and not supporting 1440 just seems like an odd choice.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
What does decide whether your monitor can downscale a 4K signal, and is it even possible to read it from the specs? I don't recall rtings mentioning stuff like that in reviews, but maybe I just wasn't looking for it.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
What's this got to do with it? A console which will be played on many different brands of TV and monitors should support a massively popular gaming resolution, don't you think?
Im not saying it's right that it doesn't just saying Im not surprised because its seems some tv companies do and some don't and sony is one of them

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be frustrating if some games on a Series S run at higher resolution than PS5 on a 1440p display. There's no reason to build in this shortcoming.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty irrelevant, IMO. But who knows? Maybe they'll add it via FW update if enough people complain.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
So, the image gets downscaled to and output at 1080p and then stretched by the monitor to 1440p? This doesn't sound good if that's the case. I was hoping that until I am comfortable buying a new TV that I could use my 27" 144Hz G-Sync to try out games that support high refresh, but now I'm thinking I might just use my 4K TV @ 60Hz and call it a day.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Feel like Sony made the consideration for their business, adding 1440p means they sell less TVs.

Not saying the effect is massive on their TV sales but why add anything that would be a negative on that sector....

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Feel like Sony made the consideration for their business, adding 1440p means they sell less TVs.

Not saying the effect is massive on their TV sales but why add anything that would be a negative on that sector....

I don't buy this. Sony doesn't even show their own phones when launching the new PS app (demos were on iPhones). Their TV business is tiny and both low margin and revenue compared to Playstation nowadays.

This does seem like something easily fixable in a software update though, so hopefully Sony gets some pressure to fix this.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
It's going to be frustrating if some games on a Series S run at higher resolution than PS5 on a 1440p display. There's no reason to build in this shortcoming.
I think it's already the case this gen in some scenarios. Xbox one S version of doom I and Ii is 4k while ps4 is stuck at 1080p.

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
Well good thing i bought a damn 4k60 monitor lol, I knew this would happen. I now have a 1080p/144 monitor, 1440p/144hz gsync monitor, a 4k60 monitor, and a 4k sony tv in my damn room. I would use the 4k tv for the next gen consoles but I prefer to play on monitors.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Weird seeing people dismiss 1440p as niche when the console also supports 120fps which is supported by a small fraction of the TV market. Options are never bad and just cause you think is irrelevant it doesn't mean people shouldn't have access to it.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Weird seeing people dismiss 1440p as niche when the console also supports 120fps which is supported by a small fraction of the TV market. Options are never bad and just cause you think is irrelevant it doesn't mean people shouldn't have access to it.

haha, that's true. even less tv people can do 120fps at this point in time compared to who game at 1440 on monitors currently.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a 1440p monitor a few months ago in anticipation of the PS5. My mistake, I guess. Pretty disappointed in Sony. Is something like this patchable? How much pressure do we need to put on Sony to get it fixed?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
That...complicates my next-gen plans, as I'd wanted to use the PS5 in my office (won't fit in my TV stand) with a 144hz monitor.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
So what exactly does not supporting 1440p means? If I hook up a ps5 to a 1440p monitor it won't run?

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
It'll run but you'll have a 1080p image stretched out to 1440p unless your monitor supports having 4k stretched down to 1440p.

Would it look that bad though? The internal resolution of the game shouldn't be any different and it would just downsample to 1080p and I would guess that the game would not look any different.

I only mention that as I didn't realise I had my One X set to 1080p for probably a week now, I set it back to 4k and there was no difference (watch dogs Legion, Sony x950h at 2m away).

I just assumed the output resolution of the console didn't matter as the resolution the game ran at never changed.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
This is disappointing. My friend and I both ordered recent 1440p monitors that are high FPS, and they downscale 4K.

However, there are SO many 1440p monitors that do not, so at the very least Sony should offer 4K scaled to 1440p output.

irrelevant?

SOOOO MANY people on this board hype that they play in 1440p.
more people play in 1440 than 4k.

i pray for yall.
This is only true of Steam players and thus reflective of PC gamers.

I'm fairly certain for console only more people play on 4K TVs than 1440p monitors.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
Someone start the petition / hashtag. This is silly.

1440p really is the sweetspot, at least for me/my setup. 4K is such an unnecessary resource hog (again, my opinion), I'd rather run at 1440p with great performance than 4K with iffy framerates.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Would it look that bad though? The internal resolution of the game shouldn't be any different and it would just downsample to 1080p and I would guess that the game would not look any different.

I only mention that as I didn't realise I had my One X set to 1080p for probably a week now, I set it back to 4k and there was no difference (watch dogs Legion, Sony x950h at 2m away).

I just assumed the output resolution of the console didn't matter as the resolution the game ran at never changed.

Displaying 1080p on a monitor with a native res of 1440p when monitors are known to have shitty scalers is going to to have not very good results. It'll function, but it won't look so hot.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

It's not an issue with 1080P and 4K because 4K is a 4X multiple of 1080p but is IS an issue with 1440p and the difference in terms of pixels means the image becomes blurrier.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I figured since I had this problem playing the PS4 Pro on my monitor. Not that I didn't get a signal, but the image was just slightly blurry for what I expected. I then read that I was getting the downsampled 1080p image upscaled to 1440p.

I wonder if 1440p TV users (even more rare) will get a slightly better image. Don't TVs do better upscaling then monitors?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
But should it be automatically scaled? The person above me says on 1080p screen it will be downsampled, should it also be the same with 1440p?
I don't think you understand. The PS4 Pro does not support 1440p signal, so it won't downsample to it regardless.

If the same is true of the PS5, then it doesn't matter if can or can't. It will either show nothing, or switch to a resolution your monitor recognizes.

I was simply saying IF they can support 1440p signal, they could always just downscale from 4K if its too much of a hassle to make all the games work in 1440p mode (aside from 1080p and 4K modes). This is better than scaling up a 1080p image without using something akin to DLSS.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think you understand. The PS4 Pro does not support 1440p signal, so it won't scale regardless.

If the same is true of the PS5, then it doesn't matter if can or can't. It will either show nothing, or switch to a resolution your monitor recognizes.

I was simply saying IF they can support 1440p signal, they could always just downscale from 1440p if its too much of a hassle to make all the games work in 1440p mode (aside from 1080p and 4K modes).
the fact that the Series S is essentially billed as a 1440p machine might mean that developers put some effort into a 1440p profile in development. It would be stupid for Sony not to take advantage of that, if it materializes.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
the fact that the Series S is essentially billed as a 1440p machine might mean that developers put some effort into a 1440p profile in development. It would be stupid for Sony not to take advantage of that, if it materializes.
Absolutely agree, though while its being billed that way so far a lot of the games seem to run best at 1080p.

These are designed more-so for playing on TVs, after all, but myself and many others like to play on monitors.

I hope IGN Italy is wrong, and it does in-fact have 1440p output. One question is how they would be handling PS4 BC on 1440p...

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, I think Sony is in the position they don't have to care. I think the XBOX Series is going to be popular but Sony has the momentum.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
But the poster above you says on 1440p screen the game will send original 1080p output and than scaled/stretched to 1440p
If you are talking about playing a 4k game on a 1440p monitor, I believe it will downsample to 1080p since that's the only resolution it would recognize, and then your monitor would stretch the image to 1440p.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a petition that we can sign? Sony can't get away with this. Otherwise I will have to cancel my PS5 pre-order.